Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think of ESO having a cash store?

fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
Do you think they will put a cash store in ESO ever and what do you think it would look like?    Me personaly it doesnt matter,  I'm part of the shut up and take my money crowd.  Just wondering what you all think?

Comments

• andyredandyred Member Posts: 4
    I don't think they will, at least on launch anyway. But anything is possible for an update in the first few years of release!
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Your title is misleading...
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I think that if they have monthly fees it is a terrible idea. The whole reason to pay monthly fees is to avoid crap like that.
  • LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Loke666
    I think that if they have monthly fees it is a terrible idea. The whole reason to pay monthly fees is to avoid crap like that.

I agree, either subs or cash shops both imho seems EA greedy to me.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Loke666

the option to pay a sub or cash shop isn't a bad idea at all from a business standpoint.

as long as its not pay to win i am fine.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Yes they will... free to play with cash shop..... you can buy account stuff and DLC in that cash shop,  but not ingame items ...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

I wouldn't mind a cash shop just for cosmetic stuff. Lots of players like that.

Why shouldn't the Devs make money?

As long as the items were purely cosmetic, no boosts of any kind, it wouldn't hurt a thing.

Even with the P2P model.

Originally posted by Kuraphimaru

Originally posted by Adalwulff

As long as the items were purely cosmetic, no boosts of any kind, it wouldn't hurt a thing.

Even with the P2P model.

So you are cool with buying the box, paying monthly fee, and then forking over extra money to access content you already paid for?

Reading comprehension, learn it!

I said "cosmetic items", never did I say anything about content.

There are lots of players that like looking unique and are willing to pay a few dollars for it. I say why not?

Example, someone wants horns on their helmet. They pay $1.50 at the cash shop, and get to look cool.

How does this hurt you?

If ESO is to be successful and put out lots of content and patches, and do it all on good strong servers, they need to make money.

That's how the real world works  :)

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

Even with the P2P model.

So you are cool with buying the box, paying monthly fee, and then forking over extra money to access content you already paid for?

There are lots of players that like looking unique and are willing to pay a few dollars for it. I say why not?

Example, someone wants horns on their helmet. They pay $1.50 at the cash shop, and get to look cool.

How does this hurt you?

If ESO is to be successful and put out lots of content and patches, and do it all on good strong servers, they need to make money.

Well I do understand what you mean, however, reading comprehension ??

Cosmetics is still technically content XD. So he didn't say anything wrong really for you to even be talking about reading comprehension, or maybe you should apply that to yourself instead?

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    Having a cash shop completely negates the entire reason for p2p. While they may be like WoW and throw in a mount here and there, to go any further is just me paying a monthly fee so they can sell it back to me... no... just no

Originally posted by Adalwulff I wouldn't mind a cash shop just for cosmetic stuff. Lots of players like that.   Why shouldn't the Devs make money? As long as the items were purely cosmetic, no boosts of any kind, it wouldn't hurt a thing. Even with the P2P model.

How does this hurt you?

I'm sorry but were you dropped onto the ground in your infanthood?

A. Horns on the helmet is CONTENT. It is visual content, but it is content nonetheless. It doesn't matter if you call it cosmetics, aesthetics, or a fashion item. I subsidized the development of that item with my monthly sub and I deserve to have access to it without paying extra for it.

B. Since I pay $15 a month to fund their further development and they add helmet horns, I WANT THEM. And the best part? I already PAID for that CONTENT with my sub. I deserve to look as unique as the guy next to me and that guy has the same equality also. Why?! Because we pay the same on a monthly basis to support a game and we both should have access to the same content.

C. Oh yea, ESO devs need to make money and that is why I'm willing to pay a sub. However, if that is not enough money then either reassess your project spending or go the way of dinosaurs. That's how the real world works. Adapt or die. I am a their customer, they provide me a service. ESO is not an only MMO on the market, and I can take my cash somewhere else.

A. That must be a new thing, spread by F2P newbies...lol... Because "content" in MMO talk, has ALWAYS been about quests/new places to explore/new classes...ect...ect. So it doesn't matter what YOU think is content, because its really not. Its just fluff.

B. That sounded like something my son would of said when he was 5 years old... Getting that upset over horns is the bottom of the barrel. Besides, you have the SAME option of buying those horns.

C. You are just one person, I can see you think the world revolves around you, that much is clear, but that's not how the real world works. They owe you nothing, your whining and threats of boycott will change nothing.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

My preference for a P2P game is no cash shop or currency conversion at all like FF XIV is trying to do.  If a company is going to ask me to have enough faith in them to pay $15 a month or even $140 ish a year up front for a game the least they can do is have enough respect for their player base not to do double dip with a cash shop.

It's not that cash shops in games are all evil by default so much as they tend to change the motivations developers have for creating content over time in ways that are not always in the players best interests. 

• mikelafalcemikelafalce Member Posts: 13

B2P is a great compromise between F2P and P2P.

P2P Advocate: 'Keep the kiddies out with a pay wall!'

F2P Advocate: 'Subscriptions are never worth it!'

B2P Advocate: 'Box price filters out the free loaders and mmo hoppers(to a point), and in the future, if I want to show continued financial support for a great game, I can spend some $$$ in the cash shop for a cool outfit/pet/xp boost!'

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by Adalwulff I wouldn't mind a cash shop just for cosmetic stuff. Lots of players like that.   Why shouldn't the Devs make money? As long as the items were purely cosmetic, no boosts of any kind, it wouldn't hurt a thing. Even with the P2P model.

How does this hurt you?

A. Horns on the helmet is CONTENT. It is visual content, but it is content nonetheless. It doesn't matter if you call it cosmetics, aesthetics, or a fashion item. I subsidized the development of that item with my monthly sub and I deserve to have access to it without paying extra for it.

B. Since I pay $15 a month to fund their further development and they add helmet horns, I WANT THEM. And the best part? I already PAID for that CONTENT with my sub. I deserve to look as unique as the guy next to me and that guy has the same equality also. Why?! Because we pay the same on a monthly basis to support a game and we both should have access to the same content.

C. Oh yea, ESO devs need to make money and that is why I'm willing to pay a sub. However, if that is not enough money then either reassess your project spending or go the way of dinosaurs. That's how the real world works. Adapt or die. I am a their customer, they provide me a service. ESO is not an only MMO on the market, and I can take my cash somewhere else.

A. That must be a new thing, spread by F2P newbies...lol... Because "content" in MMO talk, has ALWAYS been about quests/new places to explore/new classes...ect...ect. So it doesn't matter what YOU think is content, because its really not. Its just fluff.

B. That sounded like something my son would of said when he was 5 years old... Getting that upset over horns is the bottom of the barrel. Besides, you have the SAME option of buying those horns.

C. You are just one person, I can see you think the world revolves around you, that much is clear, but that's not how the real world works. They owe you nothing, your whining and threats of boycott will change nothing.

A. Any item added to the game is content. Take your spin elsewhere please.

B. Smart son

C, The world? What are you talking about? He is talking about the quality of service he is paying for. And yes, his customer satisfaction obviously only revolves around him. The only thing you can assume here is that he will take his money to spend elsewhere if they will add a cash shop. That is a normal thing to do as a dissatisfied customer. That doesn't make you a whiner lol. It also has nothing to do with a boycott, he never asked others to stop paying.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by mikelafalce

B2P Advocate: 'Box price filters out the free loaders and mmo hoppers(to a point), and in the future, if I want to show continued financial support for a great game, I can spend some $$$ in the cash shop for a cool outfit/pet/xp boost!'

B2P with a cash shop is still just F2P where you have to pay up front for access to the game.

Originally posted by udon

B2P with a cash shop is still just F2P where you have to pay up front for access to the game.

Not really, because F2Ps only income is through a cash shop, while B2P also have the initial purchase of the game on top of that. So they can reduce what they throw into the cash shop by a lot. Meaning more likely to only have aesthetic items unlike a F2P tends to have XP Boosts and weapons and a whole bunch of Buy to Win crap.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by udon

You really didn't think that one through.

P2P with a cash shop is still just F2P where you have to pay up front and pay monthly for access to the game :p

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    With P2P a cash store is not done, not even for cosmetic items... The power of a P2P game is that everything can be found and won ingame... power to the players, and not power to the wealthy players.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by someforumguy

How does this hurt you?

B. Smart son

C, The world? What are you talking about? He is talking about the quality of service he is paying for. And yes, his customer satisfaction obviously only revolves around him. The only thing you can assume here is that he will take his money to spend elsewhere if they will add a cash shop. That is a normal thing to do as a dissatisfied customer. That doesn't make you a whiner lol. It also has nothing to do with a boycott, he never asked others to stop paying.

A. Like I said, a fluff item has never been called content, not in the 20+ years I've been playing MMOs.

B. Smarter than your for sure

C. Of course he is asking others not to play, that is why he shared his opinion. Why else would you share your opinion if not to persuade someone? The threats of boycott and telling them they will never make any money is definitely whining....lol

Originally posted by someforumguy

How does this hurt you?

B. Smart son

A. Like I said, a fluff item has never been called content, not in the 20+ years I've been playing MMOs.

B. Smarter than your for sure

C. Of course he is asking others not to play, that is why he shared his opinion. Why else would you share your opinion if not to persuade someone? The threats of boycott and telling them they will never make any money is definitely whining....lol

20+ years? O.o Funny you must be living in a different time period. Because the definition of content hasn't changed as far as I am aware and I work in the game industry lol o.o

>.> My boss never gave me the memo on that I guess.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by fistorm
    Do you think they will put a cash store in ESO

The game will have a cash shop and the moment the NDA is dropped you will know why.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    With P2P a cash store is not done, not even for cosmetic items... The power of a P2P game is that everything can be found and won ingame... power to the players, and not power to the wealthy players.

Earth to Lord Bachus, its 2013 not 2005.

P2P games have had cash shops for years...TESO WILL have a cash shop.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

TESO does have a cash shop. 

Proof

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/22/gamescom-2013-the-elder-scrolls-online-subscription-ensures-pla

Cash Shop looks like it will contain content as well, even if only hinted at by this statement. I see this is little more than a cash grab and my hype for the game has fallen dramatically. I mean, it isn't even an MMOG. It's more like Diablo or Guild Wars 1, instanced servers for teams to run content combined with 'community' areas where people can hang out together, form teams. and participate in PvP.

• Kinh021Kinh021 Member UncommonPosts: 30

I think unnecessary a cash shop in a subscription game.

Making some small calculations:

Based on the values ??of Elder Scrolls V Skyrim (One of the most expensive games ever produced, somewhere around 86 million dollars) and average players (1,000,000) by launching major recent mmos like SWTOR and Guild Wars 2.

Sale price X Buyers

$ 60 x 1,000,000 = $ 60,000,000

monthly payment

$ 15 x 1,000,000 = $ 15,000,000

Thus, only with pre-order and the first current month the entire investment made in production would already be paid and the money received per month would be enough to keep a good team and still make a profit.

I wonder, is it really necessary to put a cash shop or charge for an expansion if the game already has a monthly fee.

What do you think about this?

regardless of the questions, I'm anxious to the launch because I'm a fan of Elder Scrolls saga.

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198
    It bothers me, allot.