Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Subscription Model Announced

Comments

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

This is great news!!!

No crappy item shops, no more nickel and dime bs, I couldn't be happier!!

This will promote a great community, one that plans to stay, not buzz thru the content and then flame the game on every forum on the internet.

This is just awesome!

I don't think you've been around long enough.

This is not a game.

• MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93

I can afford it , so it's not that. A lot of us are just tired of buying games and having to pay a monthly fee to play and are now obligated to play because "it would be stupid to pay for something and not use it" so now you are stuck. The f2p models are not all pay to win, actually I have never played one that is. I play a variety of game and I missed all of that during the years from EQ1-WoW and several other MMOs in between. During the peak of WoW, I didn't play one single game. I woke up- WoW, Got out of work- WoW. Any free time I had- WoW. I felt tied to the game BECAUSE of the sub fee. Rift is a good game. Some hate it because it seems to be a clone of a certain game, but their shop is great and the game is 100% completely free to play.

GW2 is not P2P, I admit there is no end game that I can think of, but there is very competitive PVP. nothing pay to win here.

Finally, if you think p2p is the answer and that it fixes a lot of things wrong in MMO community, then you are sorely mistaken and delusional.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by r3t3
    Originally posted by IceAge
    Originally posted by Wighty

Looks like 2013/2014 is going to be dark days for the leechers who feel it's their right and entitlement to not have to pay nor support the very entertainment they are so passionate about.

Right there, just right there. To the cave with them..

Also, to does with a crystal ball , I don't care if Wildstar, or FF XIV ( nor TESO ), will go F2P in 1-2 years. Because I'll have fun in this time, without leechers, cryers and alike. I had a blast in Aion for 2 years when it has P2P, and I am expecting the same for Wildstar or FF.

So then, you should wait ...wait as much as you want until they go F2P, while I will enjoy them from the very first release day.

Good luck.

Realistically 1 to 2 years is a pipe dream in today's model of FTP you'll be lucky to get 3 months before there is talk of F2P and will go F2P well under 6 months.

I'm not being negative here or trolling, I was genuinely excited about hearing FF14 being P2P, then even more so with ESO, but i put my reality hat on and well, let’s be realistic here, there was a reason subs exited stage left years ago, right now atm they seems like a “cool” “shiny” thing, and that’s what they are banking on, it’s literally like ESO was just waiting to hear what the community thought of FF14 being P2P and it was well received, very well received,  “OK that’s our best milk the players option, while we finish off the F2P model”

I just get the feeling ESO doesn’t know what to do, as they are in over their heads, and after the initial negative community response to Whoop-Dee-Doo another wow clone, they seriously went into a tailspin are winging it every day, like they seriously don’t know what to do, just a feeling I get whenever I’ve tapped into hear what they have to say.

You know P2P does seem like a great option until all the realities of why it disappeared start to come back, and once it hits people’s reality again. They notice all the free to pay options again, no upfront cost, play whenever you want, don’t worry about anything other than your password to log in.

The biggest problem I had with subs is “ALL” games were subs. Then that one day, usually the day right after I paid for a fresh month I simply don't feel like playing that game for a while, so i cancel thinking f@ck, now I’m paying for something I’m not playing and how the beep does that make any sense. A month a half later I get and urge, but dunno, the whole sub thing, and what if the divine spark isn't there to play right now. So screw it I’ll go play something for free right now.

Problem we face right now is that more companies are going to take the SWTOR business model. Get box sales, milk the monthly while they work on the F2P model until this P2P novelty isn’t well received again, the industry will cool it then reintroduce it again, rinse repeat.

Yeah no way you'll see subs past 6 months. No way.

I don't know about you, but I always took the best decisions when it comes to MMO. I did not pre-order the fiasco SWTOR, beta it and I knew it's nothing. Same goes with AOC , WAR and other "big" games.

Before I go and pre-order a game, I am , and I mean, I AM deeply look into it, then if it's worth it, I will go ahead and pre-order. It worked very good , and I am sure it will work from now on too. I did not bought a single game without playing it with joy for at least 1 year.  So give me a P2P game which I enjoy very much for at least 1 year ( 2 preferable ) and I will be VERY happy. Tell me, if you are playing them, which F2P game lasted longer then a 1 year for you to play it, before moving on? Or 6 months. Or 3 months ..

On the other hand, I do NOT support F2P games, with their P2W cash shop. I cannot stand a cool kid, using his father credit card to buy things which he normally wouldn't have earned them ( or at least not to soon ) , and then laugh at my face as to how cool and good he is ( specially in PVP games ).

So thanks, but no thanks! F2P is a no no for me in every way. Also your 3 to 6 months comment for P2P games going F2P is a bit (very much) unrealistic. Give me an exemple of a game who was P2P and after 6 months he swiched to F2P. Even the all-mighty SWOTR took longer if I am not mistaken.

All in all, to each his own, but I simply cannot stand the people who think is their right to play any game for free. Do I want a BMW? Sure. Can I afford it? No. But that does not mean I am entitle to have one.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by DijonCyanide
    Economically it is difficult times anyway for too many...

Exactly, reality bites!

My family wants to play this so I’m looking at 5 boxes, there is $300 up front then 75 a month to play, all to watch it go free a couple months later, yeah I’ll just let the one boy who’s really into ESO get it and have fun, then when it’s F2P well all play, for free.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Thank the Gods!!!

Now if they can only guarantee it will keep the trash out. ;-)

unfortunately the ones paying a  sub and not getting what they feel they are entitled of the game are the ones who create the trash in the forums...

just sayin'

<.<

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Magicabbage

I can afford it , so it's not that. A lot of us are just tired of buying games and having to pay a monthly fee to play and are now obligated to play because "it would be stupid to pay for something and not use it" so now you are stuck. The f2p models are not all pay to win, actually I have never played one that is. I play a variety of game and I missed all of that during the years from EQ1-WoW and several other MMOs in between. During the peak of WoW, I didn't play one single game. I woke up- WoW, Got out of work- WoW. Any free time I had- WoW. I felt tied to the game BECAUSE of the sub fee. Rift is a good game. Some hate it because it seems to be a clone of a certain game, but their shop is great and the game is 100% completely free to play.

GW2 is not P2P, I admit there is no end game that I can think of, but there is very competitive PVP. nothing pay to win here.

Finally, if you think p2p is the answer and that it fixes a lot of things wrong in MMO community, then you are sorely mistaken and delusional.

xcly.

when ur in college you have all this free time weeeeee!!!!

but when you step into the real world. your time becomes crucial on how to spend it financially and hourly. so i pick n choose my games wisely now.

lessonlearne di recently resubbed to eve- and logged in a few times to just skill and maintnance. i spent more time on my other games etc etc.

its not a financial thing for many it is , for me is more of would i rather b2p or resub, heck if i would resub i would goback to warhammer online!<--fave!

but lately the f2p and b2p games are pretty awsome! (GW2, firefall, Dead island, borderlands2..) it may not appeal to some but they do to me! oh and diablo 3 reaper of souls!!!!!!<--with a RMAH!

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by r3t3
    Originally posted by Wighty

Looks like 2013/2014 is going to be dark days for the leechers who feel it's their right and entitlement to not have to pay nor support the very entertainment they are so passionate about.

Right there, just right there. To the cave with them..

Also, to does with a crystal ball , I don't care if Wildstar, or FF XIV ( nor TESO ), will go F2P in 1-2 years. Because I'll have fun in this time, without leechers, cryers and alike. I had a blast in Aion for 2 years when it has P2P, and I am expecting the same for Wildstar or FF.

So then, you should wait ...wait as much as you want until they go F2P, while I will enjoy them from the very first release day.

Good luck.

Realistically 1 to 2 years is a pipe dream in today's model of FTP you'll be lucky to get 3 months before there is talk of F2P and will go F2P well under 6 months.

I'm not being negative here or trolling, I was genuinely excited about hearing FF14 being P2P, then even more so with ESO, but i put my reality hat on and well, let’s be realistic here, there was a reason subs exited stage left years ago, right now atm they seems like a “cool” “shiny” thing, and that’s what they are banking on, it’s literally like ESO was just waiting to hear what the community thought of FF14 being P2P and it was well received, very well received,  “OK that’s our best milk the players option, while we finish off the F2P model”

I just get the feeling ESO doesn’t know what to do, as they are in over their heads, and after the initial negative community response to Whoop-Dee-Doo another wow clone, they seriously went into a tailspin are winging it every day, like they seriously don’t know what to do, just a feeling I get whenever I’ve tapped into hear what they have to say.

You know P2P does seem like a great option until all the realities of why it disappeared start to come back, and once it hits people’s reality again. They notice all the free to pay options again, no upfront cost, play whenever you want, don’t worry about anything other than your password to log in.

The biggest problem I had with subs is “ALL” games were subs. Then that one day, usually the day right after I paid for a fresh month I simply don't feel like playing that game for a while, so i cancel thinking f@ck, now I’m paying for something I’m not playing and how the beep does that make any sense. A month a half later I get and urge, but dunno, the whole sub thing, and what if the divine spark isn't there to play right now. So screw it I’ll go play something for free right now.

Problem we face right now is that more companies are going to take the SWTOR business model. Get box sales, milk the monthly while they work on the F2P model until this P2P novelty isn’t well received again, the industry will cool it then reintroduce it again, rinse repeat.

Yeah no way you'll see subs past 6 months. No way.

I don't know about you, but I always took the best decisions when it comes to MMO. I did not pre-order the fiasco SWTOR, beta it and I knew it's nothing. Same goes with AOC , WAR and other "big" games.

Before I go and pre-order a game, I am , and I mean, I AM deeply look into it, then if it's worth it, I will go ahead and pre-order. It worked very good , and I am sure it will work from now on too. I did not bought a single game without playing it with joy for at least 1 year.  So give me a P2P game which I enjoy very much for at least 1 year ( 2 preferable ) and I will be VERY happy. Tell me, if you are playing them, which F2P game lasted longer then a 1 year for you to play it, before moving on? Or 6 months. Or 3 months ..

On the other hand, I do NOT support F2P games, with their P2W cash shop. I cannot stand a cool kid, using his father credit card to buy things which he normally wouldn't have earned them ( or at least not to soon ) , and then laugh at my face as to how cool and good he is ( specially in PVP games ).

So thanks, but no thanks! F2P is a no no for me in every way. Also your 3 to 6 months comment for P2P games going F2P is a bit (very much) unrealistic. Give me an exemple of a game who was P2P and after 6 months he swiched to F2P. Even the all-mighty SWOTR took longer if I am not mistaken.

All in all, to each his own, but I simply cannot stand the people who think is their right to play any game for free. Do I want a BMW? Sure. Can I afford it? No. But that does not mean I am entitle to have one.

SWTOR was under a year before going F2P, the talk of it F2P was much sooner than anyone expected even the biggest pessimist’s didn’t see it coming that soon.

As I stated I was very excited to find P2P back as an option however realistically, there is too much money to be made from F2P and as the novelty of the game wears out and subs plummet within 3 month of launch, which we all know is going to happen, they will immediately tap straight into F2P. Overall thats just wrong becasue people were helping them to support a certain model. You know.

I too had my hopes up too but even for me realistically, it’s allot of money just to be able to play a game with the family.
    Sure if it’s just me, $30-60 entrance and $15 month is laughable if you’re getting your entertainment out of it, but let’s throw in another game, and another, or xx amount of family members, now it’s ridiculous especially when there are free options which are raking in the money. I can’t believe anyone in today’s market would buy an MMO, and play that and absolutely nothing else for a year or more, MMO’s are simply not built to sustain this sort of playing behavior anymore.

In the end I can’t take this P2P seriously from any mmo making such an announcement, it’s just not feasible in the long run, and the mmo industry didn’t change to F2P because they had too they did so to survive.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Don't mind the P2P model. Though the game HAS to be good, smooth, nice looking and worth the subscription. If its buggy, graphically inferior (not seen game footage yet) then it will flop, just like many others have done so recently. One will tell after the 1st 1-3months at the outcome.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Hallelujah!
  • LungingWolfLungingWolf Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by bloodaxes

Hahaha, oh god this is hilarious!

I saw posts saying wildstar will fail for being P2P when there's ESO and EQN being f2p.

Now that ESO is P2P too their only hope for free is EQN.

Unless..... 

It is totally hilarious !image

Great news, made even more enjoyable by the freeloader tears and predictions of doom, lol

2 down, 1 to go ?

I believe EQ:Next will definitely launch as an F2P title. However, I also expect it will have some VERY attractive freemium options and a huge marketing campaign to sell "Starter Packs". I cannot believe SOE will be happy to recoup the significant development cost of EQ:Next over 5 or 10 years of CS income from "cosmetic item" sales.

When I read all these posts which zealously advocate the F2P model, I genuinely cannot help but get freeloader vibes from a lot of it. Seriously, valid dissatisfaction with the services which currently existing subscription oriented MMOs provide has been made into a Trojan horse which freeloaders use to push for free stuff.

Ironically, the people who zealously swear by the F2P model are the same people who buy all kinds of stuff from F2P games' cash shops. But never mind that ...

Subscriptions, microtransactions ... it's the same expense, just repackaged. And pretending otherwise is just wishful thinking. But never mind that ...

Good grief ...  there's just no reasoning with greedy people ...

Waiting for: Citadel of Sorcery. Along the way, The Elder Scrolls Online (when it is F2P).

Keeping an eye on: www.play2crush.com (whatever is going on here).

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

I saw posts saying wildstar will fail for being P2P when there's ESO and EQN being f2p.

Unless..... 

I know, right? and i don't think iv seen this much desperation from the f2p gamers.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I might now actually play this game. If they're going to attempt a sub model, then they might actually put in enough effort to make the game interesting and attractive to me.

If the open beta is fun, I'll be pre-ordered and subbed faster than you can say "Skyrim" !

The F2P freeloaders can wait until the subscription elite have had their fun. Then they'll get their turn. Let them deal with the F2P nickle-and-diming after the rest of us have moved on... image

• LungingWolfLungingWolf Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by LungingWolf

When I read all these posts which zealously advocate the F2P model, I genuinely cannot help but get freeloader vibes from a lot of it. Seriously, valid dissatisfaction with the services which currently existing subscription oriented MMOs provide has been made into a trojan horse which freeloaders use to push for free stuff.

Ironically, the people who zealously swear by the F2P model are the same people who buy all kinds of stuff from F2P games' cash shops. But never mind that ...

Subscriptions, microtransactions ... it's the same expense, just repackaged. And pretending otherwise is just wishful thinking. But never mind that ...

Good grief ...  there's just no reasoning with greedy people ...

Of course those of us who are all for the F2P model buy things in cash shops. People who prefer F2P don't hate spending money, we just like the option to choose what we pay for. I would think that any reasonable person would prefer choosing when they spend money as apposed to being forced to spend money every month.

But, I guess I'm wrong on that. There seems to be quite a few people, who I'm sure are quite reasonable, that much prefer being forced to pay if they want to continue to play. Somehow they have convinced themselves that requiring a monthly fee produces a higher quality product, even though the games of the past have proven that to be completely false.

First, if an MMO is oriented solely around a subscription model after one buys the game, then you automatically get access to all of the game's content. You get what you want anyways and more.

But, conversely, under a microtransactional model, the problem is that if you don't spend a certain amount of money at a certain rate at an MMO's cash shop, then others must spend more money at a higher rate at the said cash shop to make up for a lack of income from you. And, if everyone spends less money at the said cash shop, then the developers have less funds to work with and the game suffers overall.

Either way, the subscription model wins in terms of your first point.

Second, if you reorient an MMO's income around a cash shop and other microtransactions, then the developers behind the said MMO will prioritize making new content for the cash shop and/or making up other micotransactional schemes above making new content for the game in general. So, as soon as a game starts experiencing any financial needs or even instability, the rest of the game suffers first as they circle the wagons around their microtransactions and push a higher focus on it.

Conversely, solely under the subscription model, the developers behind an MMO always focus on the game itself and never waste resources with things like cash shops.

Again, the subscription model wins in terms of your second point.

Waiting for: Citadel of Sorcery. Along the way, The Elder Scrolls Online (when it is F2P).

Keeping an eye on: www.play2crush.com (whatever is going on here).

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by mikelafalce

Posted by someone else, but take a look at how great B2P can be!

Some would disagree.

This is not a game.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Precusor

Unless..... 

I know, right? and i don't think iv seen this much desperation from the f2p gamers.

Not actually sure what desperation has to do with this topic. I'm concerned about the sustainability of this model with games like these, there's actual evidence that supports such concerns, none of these games (WS, ESO, FFXIV) have shown any key element that renders them above past failures to deliver with such a model.

Subscriptions are great if what you're receiving is worth it in the long run. It's an investment of more than just time. AN investment many other games do not require. WIth that extra investment one would expect a steady flow of content, and features that support and promote long-term play. None have talked much about any such plans.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Stizzled

Of course those of us who are all for the F2P model buy things in cash shops. People who prefer F2P don't hate spending money, we just like the option to choose what we pay for. I would think that any reasonable person would prefer choosing when they spend money as apposed to being forced to spend money every month.

Subscription people choose when to spend their money as well. They choose every month whether or not to resubscribe, and earn access to everything that would have been in your cash shop. The only advantage I see to a cash shop model is over the long term, purchasing an item once to permanently unlock. For me, the disadvantages far outweigh that.

But, I guess I'm wrong on that. There seems to be quite a few people, who I'm sure are quite reasonable, that much prefer being forced to pay if they want to continue to play. Somehow they have convinced themselves that requiring a monthly fee produces a higher quality product, even though the games of the past have proven that to be completely false.

A price structure doesn't ever ensure a higher quality game, whether it be free to play, buy to play, or sub model. However, with any business that relies on a cash shop as it's dominant revenue source, their goal is to drive consumers to that cash shop. In the gaming world, this typically means making one or more aspects of the gaming experience just irritating enough to make you want to spend money to fix it in some way, i.e. slow gear progression unless you can unlock chests with keys, limiting bag space, limiting character slots, etc. Any price model that encourages developers to make the game less fun for the player in order to be successful, is not a price model I can get behind (note: I'm not lumping all cash shops together here, some do it right).

The sub model only encourages developers to make the game desirable to play, to add features and content.

I've seen both models applied to games that were successful, and games that were failures, but overall the sub model just sits better with me.

Edit: Rather, I should say that the cash shop model rarely sits well with me, and the sub model is the only other alternative.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by bdew

So FFXIV, Wildstar and now TESO are all sub based, I can't be happier.

So tired of all thos bullshit nickle-and-dime P2W cash shop crap.

Only idiots fail to understand that nearly every F2P isn't P2W and that you don't have to spend a dime to do all the content. But yeah, paying 15$ a month to play the same type of game with nearly the same restrictions is a lot more brilliant... especially in a time where P2P doesn't work anymore and the game will see the same faith as others, started P2P and went F2P in the next 6 months.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    AH was hoping this would be 30 bucks a month....i mean the more we pay monthly the better the game right?
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Well will it be a pure P2P game or will they double dip and go for a cash shop as well?
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by SirFubar

Only idiots fail to understand that nearly every F2P isn't P2W and that you don't have to spend a dime to do all the content. But yeah, paying 15$ a month to play the same type of game with nearly the same restrictions is a lot more brilliant... especially in a time where P2P doesn't work anymore and the game will see the same faith as others, started P2P and went F2P in the next 6 months.

No, only idiots dont understand that every F2P game is P2W, to some extent. Even if you can get an exp bonus it gives you a small edge and that is P2W.

And you are right, failed games which cant cut it as P2P go F2P/P2W. So if ESO is a failure then you F2P players can have fun with it.

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by SirFubar

glad to see there are a lot of people crying over this, happy I wont see them in the game I want to play, no cry babies in ESO leave it all here woot!

P2W models are really bad for those of us with money and no time to burn, the temptation is there and it will work when you see stuff like buying a potion that is 300% more effective then any of those that you can make.

People will QQ about this and I can only pray to the ESO gods that all every single one of those people QQing about the best paying model for mmos (sub base) is crap will never ever play this game, most of them are people I would never want in the game i play

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

I guess the developers realized the faults of the F2P and B2P models and decided that the future is the P2P model. It's a great day for us gamers :)

I am really happy about this, finally don't have to worry about stupid cash shops :).

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

If any company is upfront and honest. And if they sell a good product, I'll bite.

So more than likely I will buy this. But I will wait for 3 months after release, to make sure all BS is gone.

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Searias

I guess the developers realized the faults of the F2P and B2P models and decided that the future is the P2P model. It's a great day for us gamers :)

I am really happy about this, finally don't have to worry about stupid cash shops :).

They didn't realize the long line of faults with P2P though did they.  They're mirroring the steps of every game before them.  It's like watching "Dev Studio Lemmings" on Wild Kingdom.  Every dev studio lemming thinks they won't hit the bottom when they jump over the cliff like the studio before them, but they do.  Every time.  It's boggling.

It  really comes down to how they want to make their money, if they want to produce crappy product but very fast and satisfying to those that are simply please then P2W is their model. If they want the player to hang a round for years to come then sub is the best model they can use. Sub doesnt allow for a lot of flex ability but it does offer sustainment, and  it can offer the ability for devs to make quality product giving you a reason to feel invested in the game.

If someone is looking for the next quick cool thing to play and quit and come back to now and again this game might just not be for you which is something I would think the whole ESO team wasnt aiming for to begin.

I will be supporting this game for sure, I like the team making and have a ton of respect for the company producing it.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Searias

They didn't realize the long line of faults with P2P though did they.  They're mirroring the steps of every game before them.  It's like watching "Dev Studio Lemmings" on Wild Kingdom.  Every dev studio lemming thinks they won't hit the bottom when they jump over the cliff like the studio before them, but they do.  Every time.  It's boggling.

You do realize that they will make more money that way than doing a B2P or F2P game right? Look at what happened to defiance at least if a P2P game doesn't make it as a P2P game it could always go with the F2P or B2P route and advertise it as being a triple A title going F2P/B2P and pull in a lot of people that way. Where are a F2P/B2P game which is not doing so well has nowhere else to go. 

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;