Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Subscription Model Announced

Comments

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    Originally posted by Wighty

Looks like 2013/2014 is going to be dark days for the leechers who feel it's their right and entitlement to not have to pay nor support the very entertainment they are so passionate about.

Right there, just right there. To the cave with them..

Also, to does with a crystal ball , I don't care if Wildstar, or FF XIV ( nor TESO ), will go F2P in 1-2 years. Because I'll have fun in this time, without leechers, cryers and alike. I had a blast in Aion for 2 years when it has P2P, and I am expecting the same for Wildstar or FF.

So then, you should wait ...wait as much as you want until they go F2P, while I will enjoy them from the very first release day.

Good luck.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by someforumguy

I guess Arenenet is running a charitable organization then with their B2P payment model.

No Arenanet is counting on the cash shop to make up the difference.

They would be running a charitable organization if they just charged for the box, didn't have a cash shop and always took a loss but said "it's ok, as long as the gamers are happy".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

I guess Arenenet is running a charitable organization then with their B2P payment model.

theres no charity in business. And GW2 is crearly very successful. But as you can see. Some other companies are still Pursuing WoW's numbers.

• mikelafalcemikelafalce Member Posts: 13

Posted by someone else, but take a look at how great B2P can be!

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I used to be 100% pro sub

until I played RIFT's f2p, and I love it and think every game should follow.

sub games shouldnt have box prices though anymore either.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by Sovrath

No Arenanet is counting on the cash shop to make up the difference.

They would be running a charitable organization if they just charged for the box, didn't have a cash shop and always took a loss but said "it's ok, as long as the gamers are happy".

You are just making wild assumptions like the others here in this thread. You have no clue how much profit Arenanet gets from just the box sales and whether Zenimax could do with a B2P payment model.

I do understand it is a business and as a business you try to maximize profit. It helps if you have a lot of support from your customers. Customers that will blindly believe P2P==better quality games. Maybe they should throw in some lifetime subs and pricy preorder boxes too? :p

GW2 set the bar really high for quality content (not talking about preference). So, a boxprice+sub really has to deliver. We will see if TESO and Wildstar can. Also, a lot of ppl are assuming that TESO will not have a cash shop. I haven't seen that statement yet.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by r3t3
    Originally posted by TookyG
    Originally posted by r3t3

Bookmark my words.

They will launch suck up box sales on the shiny new factor, ride monthly subs until the novelty wears off, and once subs plummet, they will go F2P and then nickel dime you to death.

It’s the “real” new pricing model. Watch and learn.

You heard it here first, I’m so sure of this i would bet on it.

Of course they will.  TESO won't have the draw to stay P2P.  Just the fact that they're launching with P2P, however, pleases me.

This p!sses me of though as everyone is investing into a future which does not exist for this game.

You blow 60+ on the entrance fee; then play for 2 to 3 months tops or until you realize it’s just another cookie cutter and or novelty wears off, and you’re out over a hundred bucks.

A few months later everyone gets the game FREE and cost to them is NOTHING to play whenever they want. Then the people whom actually thought they were investing into a P2P atmosphere are royally PO’d because “it’s not that game anymore."

***NEW FLASH! They could not give a rats behind about you anymore as they got what they wanted from you, box sale and a monthly cash drip while they work on the F2P model, plus you’re no longer the majority voice anymore, simply the few diehards who stuck around too long hoping F2P would never come, F2P players are now your rulers.

Yeah if you buy this game with the $60 entrance fee, you are just burning money for no reason.  Patience will pay off.

I didn't see him say what the entrance/box price would be though.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by 9ineven

Enjoy your P2P games guys. Won't be paying a sub for a game that they said themselves is not a MMO.

They also said that statement was made so as not to scare off players who werent' mmo players. The experience they want to create, per their own interview, is an Elder Scrolls game that is online and you can play with friends or make new friends.

In other words, They are trying to make it more of "an elder scrolls game" than an mmo. Which, is a change from what they initially claimed the game to be. It's still an mmo.

In the German interview he specifically even said by yourself.  Who pays a sub-fee for a single player game?

This is going to be great watching crash and burn.

but now you are just getting into the whole solo vs a group thing. At this point that's neither here nor there. It's still an mmo with group and solo offerings.

If you want to argue that there's a thread for it but you will see it's long with opposing viewpoints on both sides and no one agreeing.

Regardless of my feelings twoard Elder Scrolls Online (some good some bad) it's still an mmo, it feels like an mmo, you can do mmo things, you can play with groups/pvp with groups or do solo stuff just like most mmo's out there.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    The F2p trend is ending.  I am so happy about this.
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    <>

I don't know about ANet.

I would wait for more of NCSOFT's Quarterly Earnings Reports before claiming anything else regarding ANet's B2P payment model. I take it you mean GW2 by this?

It did work well for GW1 but GW1 was an entirely different game altogether with expansions and what not.

Originally posted by NBlitz
    <>

I don't know about ANet.

I would wait for more of NCSOFT's Quarterly Earnings Reports before claiming anything else regarding ANet's B2P payment model. I take it you mean GW2 by this?

It did work well for GW1 but GW1 was an entirely different game altogether with expansions and what not.

Did you read the rest of that quoted thread? I was being sarcastic. Next time I will definately use /sarcasm ... /sarcasm off or something :/

<>

I don't know about ANet.

Did you read the rest of that quoted thread? I was being sarcastic. Next time I will definately use /sarcasm ... /sarcasm off or something :/

now now, sarcasm doesn't always come off well on forum threads. It's so easy to miss that unless it's over the top.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

We'll see if Matt Firor was just talking shit when it comes to a box, dlc, and xpac fees.  He said he doesn't want to gate the experience, but those are hard gates right there.  This is nothing more than a money grab on his part.

agree

a good example is EVE, a sub game that doesnt charge for expansion content

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by garrett

At Gamescom this morning, Matt Firor, General Manager of ZeniMax Online, has revealed that Elder Scrolls Online will use the Subscription Model.  This has been confirmed on the Elder Scrolls Online Facebook Page.

Matt is quoted as saying: 

"We are creating a game that offers players the freedom to play alone or with friends for as long as they want. An extensive game with voice content, which from the beginning has hundreds of hours of gameplay and boasts a world-class customer support. A monthly fee, say a subscription model, allows us to precisely match the players experience to offer that we envision and expect above all our fans too. Another payment model would mean compromises and changes to which we just were not ready."

The Elder Scrolls Online offers unlimited fun for the first 30 days after purchase. You can play as much as you like. Many hundreds of hours of game content, PvP, etc. - all this awaits the player with the purchase of the game. Who wants to continue playing beyond the first month, paid the usual fee."

Maybe there will be discounts or similar later, but for now we are happy that we can finally announce our payment model. It is quite simple: The players pay once a month after the first 30 days and the full game is available to them."

The full interview with Matt Firor can be found here. 

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I am buying this game for sure woot I am really happy about this, play to win models opens it self up for to many unknowns. This is the best model by far for a solid MMO. Hats off to GM of ZeniMax and the rest of the team.

<>

I don't know about ANet.

now now, sarcasm doesn't always come off well on forum threads. It's so easy to miss that unless it's over the top.

Lol now now, there there tsk tsk.

If he read my comments in that same thread, he would've understood that I was being sarcastic. He also wouldn't have to ask if we were talking about GW2. Which made it obvious that he took my last comment out of context.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Hard to say how sustainable this is going to be. The same could be said for FFXIV as well as Wildstar. All three are following the traditional themepark model, with some twists. History hasn't been kind to these types of games, not since 05 or so anyway.

These three games are taking a huge risk IMO, not to say I don't prefer a sub, as I do, but the market is filled with free competition, many aren't going to ignore that simple fact going in.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Gotta love all the ignorant comments here.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by IceAge
    Originally posted by Wighty

Looks like 2013/2014 is going to be dark days for the leechers who feel it's their right and entitlement to not have to pay nor support the very entertainment they are so passionate about.

Right there, just right there. To the cave with them..

Also, to does with a crystal ball , I don't care if Wildstar, or FF XIV ( nor TESO ), will go F2P in 1-2 years. Because I'll have fun in this time, without leechers, cryers and alike. I had a blast in Aion for 2 years when it has P2P, and I am expecting the same for Wildstar or FF.

So then, you should wait ...wait as much as you want until they go F2P, while I will enjoy them from the very first release day.

Good luck.

Realistically 1 to 2 years is a pipe dream in today's model of FTP you'll be lucky to get 3 months before there is talk of F2P and will go F2P well under 6 months.

I'm not being negative here or trolling, I was genuinely excited about hearing FF14 being P2P, then even more so with ESO, but i put my reality hat on and well, let’s be realistic here, there was a reason subs exited stage left years ago, right now atm they seems like a “cool” “shiny” thing, and that’s what they are banking on, it’s literally like ESO was just waiting to hear what the community thought of FF14 being P2P and it was well received, very well received,  “OK that’s our best milk the players option, while we finish off the F2P model”

I just get the feeling ESO doesn’t know what to do, as they are in over their heads, and after the initial negative community response to Whoop-Dee-Doo another wow clone, they seriously went into a tailspin are winging it every day, like they seriously don’t know what to do, just a feeling I get whenever I’ve tapped into hear what they have to say.

You know P2P does seem like a great option until all the realities of why it disappeared start to come back, and once it hits people’s reality again. They notice all the free to pay options again, no upfront cost, play whenever you want, don’t worry about anything other than your password to log in.

The biggest problem I had with subs is “ALL” games were subs. Then that one day, usually the day right after I paid for a fresh month I simply don't feel like playing that game for a while, so i cancel thinking f@ck, now I’m paying for something I’m not playing and how the beep does that make any sense. A month a half later I get and urge, but dunno, the whole sub thing, and what if the divine spark isn't there to play right now. So screw it I’ll go play something for free right now.

Problem we face right now is that more companies are going to take the SWTOR business model. Get box sales, milk the monthly while they work on the F2P model until this P2P novelty isn’t well received again, the industry will cool it then reintroduce it again, rinse repeat.

Yeah no way you'll see subs past 6 months. No way.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    Subscription based games are fine but nowadays I think the majority of the player base has at least at one time been burn by them.  An enticement of the freemiums with the option to, after earning justly credit, subscribing or paying by some method.  The days of subscribe to my game based on the brand, the hype, my word alone about it's awesomeness is practically over.  Games should be trying to build trust with a player base not just state how to blindly trust us because of this or that down the road.  Economically it is difficult times anyway for too many, & keeping with that older subscription model might be out of touch.  Yes a subscription game filters a certain player base away from it but if the game is that good, or going to be that good, then it shouldn't be afraid to reveal itself.  There are good quality freemium MMOs out there with more being developed along with good quality subscription MMOs with more being created.  The other side, which there also has always been, are there are for both sides poorly MMOs as well.  They are all bidding for my $ by one method or another.  The choice is ours ... subscribe while trusting you will get good fun, or tryout then decide if worth it.  I hope ESO succeeds & it has far more potential than many recently given it's brand standard of quality.  I was surprised with the recent Anthology that Battlespire wasn't included too. 
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    <>

I don't know about ANet.

If he read my comments in that same thread, he would've understood that I was being sarcastic.

I often can tell when someone's being sarcastic online. To me you didn't seem it. And the way I chose to respond to your...post, was me being as polite as possible and giving a response I could live with. I'm not sure you're being as polite at the moment.

He also wouldn't have to ask if we were talking about GW2. Which made it obvious that he took my last comment out of context.

You didn't state that it was GW2. Just "Arenanet" and B2P. Perhaps you meant GW1 too. Or maybe only GW2. Or maybe both. I don't know so I asked.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Kickaxe
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    I am so happy to hear this. I am getting so sick and tired of nickel and dime cash shops. Guess what this means? NO HAVING TO PAY FOR EXTRA BAG SPACE OR FOR EXTRA HOTBARS (looking at you SWTOR)!

You are excited to pay a subscription cause it means you can avoid the free-to-play pitfalls of a game that also has a subscription option to avoid said pitfalls?

Yeah, because it's cheaper in the end. $15 a month for bag space, hotbars, all the mounts that cash shops sell. Gear and costumes will be in the game too... There are a lot of reasons why subscription is better than F2P. A set price per month for everything is a huge bonus. Also in subscription games there is no "P2W."

Smile

I'm not talking group versus solo play.  Nearly every mmo offers some solo play.  He specifically inferred there would be a small group and single player experience.  Maybe I'm reading too much into that and he was just using marketing speak.

You are, the solo experience is the main quest and many of the quests in general. It's unfortunate because these companies, if they are going to use scripted quest materials, should offer solo and group options with varying rewards.

It's just like The Secret World's Main quest or LOTRO's main quest or SWToR's main quest.

Or, one can go out and  explore solo though one can do that in most games to greater or lesser success.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Kickaxe
    I am so happy to hear this. I am getting so sick and tired of nickel and dime cash shops. Guess what this means? NO HAVING TO PAY FOR EXTRA BAG SPACE OR FOR EXTRA HOTBARS (looking at you SWTOR)!

You are excited to pay a subscription cause it means you can avoid the free-to-play pitfalls of a game that also has a subscription option to avoid said pitfalls?

Yeah, because it's cheaper in the end. $15 a month for bag space, hotbars, all the mounts that cash shops sell. Gear and costumes will be in the game too... There are a lot of reasons why subscription is better than F2P. A set price per month for everything is a huge bonus.

Not to mention one that released just as ESO is releasing.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    Well as a true fan of the series before the move to mmo's i will say I like the games that came before and I like what I see here but I will not sub to a game again but thats just my choice game looks good but payment model not my thing so to those getting it enjoy.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

<>

I don't know about ANet.

If he read my comments in that same thread, he would've understood that I was being sarcastic.

I often can tell when someone's being sarcastic online. To me you didn't seem it. And the way I chose to respond to your...post, was me being as polite as possible and giving a response I could live with. I'm not sure you're being as polite at the moment.

He also wouldn't have to ask if we were talking about GW2. Which made it obvious that he took my last comment out of context.

You didn't state that it was GW2. Just "Arenanet" and B2P. Perhaps you meant GW1 too. Or maybe only GW2. Or maybe both. I don't know so I asked.

I didn't in that comment, but in the comments you snipped out. It is all still there, go and read if you want. I could look it up for you and quote the exact same quotes again that you snipped out ofc to give my lonely snippet the much needed context.

It doesn't even matter if I meant GW1 or GW2 or both. For the discussion, the payment model mattered. So either or both would work, because they both made it a success.

I give up.