Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Subscription Model Announced

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    The idea of paying for something that is ABSOLUTELY unnecessary(the sub) just abhors me. As was visible by games such as GW1, GW 2, LoL, DoTA 2, SMITE, TSW(you choose the game),... it is CLEARLY visible that there is NO need for subscriptions.

You have no idea as to what is necessary or not.

GW1 was b2p and slowly added a cash shop. GW 2 launched with a cash shop.

I haven't played the others but do they have cash shops? can you buy things and spend money other than the purchase of the game.?

As I said in another thread, these games need "x" amount of dollars to stay afloat. Period. Developers moved to f2p because, though it does lower the barrier to entry and keep a healthy (hopefully) churn going, it uncaps the amounts that players can spend and a certain demographic will spend quite a lot.

But with that model, they don't know how much money they will rake in from month to month and they need to constantly monetize new aspcects of their game to keep money flowing.

The amount of money that it takes to run these things (and I'm not talking about internet use) is still the same. All developres/producers have done is try to figure out a way to get more of it. If you aren't paying then I can assure you someone else is paying for you.

Regardless if this bothers you or not the bill is being paid. And once they have sold as much as they can they will come up with new ways to make ends meet.

Game costs for development and keeping the company afloat haven't magically gone away.

Yes, they have costume or such cash shops. Similar to GW 1. But it DOES NOT bother me! It's not like the dreaded pay2win(which is a nonsense outside of TRUE f2ps-as long as it is obtainable within the game, it is not pay2win).

And yes. It is 110% unnecessary. I can't see how have we returned from the Modern ages(B2P, Freemium) to the Middle ages(P2P). Is just...wrong. Heh it reminds me of Egypt and how they are regressing back what with salafists and all.

(I blame the CIA! They are ALWAYS guilty xD )

I'm not talking about pay to win. I'm talking about "games need x amount of dollars to stay afloat.

You are essentially making a statement saying that games only need to charge for initial cost of the game and if they have a cosmetic shop then that's fine "no biggie".

I'm saying that games need x amount of dollars and game companies need to make that money. If they charge a monthly fee they make x amount of dollars. If they get rid of that monthly fee they still need those dollars so they hope that they can make enough oncosmetics.

And they constantly have to offer new cosmetics, I see a banker's gollum there and I wonder what else? Doesn't matter, they still need the money. "X" amount of dollars always needs to be made. And if they don't get it one way they get it another. So "no" you don't know what is needed to keep these games afloat. All you see is that "now" they get their money from others willing to pay it and it doesn't affect you as it once did.

But yet you have no idea the costs these business still have to incur.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by nanoentity

KEY WORD!

"changes to which we just were not ready"

Which means the game will go Free 2 Play like the others at the later date...

Skyrim is only successful becouse of the 9,000,000,000,000 MODS there are for the game.

Skyrim Online (AKA 

Elder Scrolls Online)

will have 0 MODS...

I think there's merit in your first statement and your second statement shows that you are just saying things.

Not only do the console sales outmatch the pc sales by a significant portion but if you look at the mod downloads that are, available, very very rarely,do these downloads get into thousands. The most popular downloads, on skyrimnexus, not including their mod manager, "might" break into 1,000 plus and I did see a mod that had 3,000 plus.

that's hardly a dent into the 10 million + sales that the game has sold.

Skyrim Nexus isn't where most people are getting their mods - Steam is. Take a look at the Steam Workshop for Skyrim. It paints a very different picture.;)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

This is AWESOME!!!!

Ok so FF 14 Check!

Wildstar Check!

TESO Check (was not even considering this until now)

Looks like 2013/2014 is going to be dark days for the leechers who feel it's their right and entitlement to not have to pay nor support the very entertainment they are so passionate about.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by nanoentity

KEY WORD!

"changes to which we just were not ready"

Which means the game will go Free 2 Play like the others at the later date...

Skyrim is only successful becouse of the 9,000,000,000,000 MODS there are for the game.

Skyrim Online (AKA 

Elder Scrolls Online)

will have 0 MODS...

I think there's merit in your first statement and your second statement shows that you are just saying things.

Not only do the console sales outmatch the pc sales by a significant portion but if you look at the mod downloads that are, available, very very rarely,do these downloads get into thousands. The most popular downloads, on skyrimnexus, not including their mod manager, "might" break into 1,000 plus and I did see a mod that had 3,000 plus.

that's hardly a dent into the 10 million + sales that the game has sold.

Skyrim Nexus isn't where most people are getting their mods - Steam is. Take a look at the Steam Workshop for Skyrim. It paints a very different picture.;)

And can you point me to individual mods that go into the millions?

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Let me explore the entire world from level 1, facing all the challenges and progression from every map no matter what race i am, and ill pay the sub. I dont pay for limited content.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    The idea of paying for something that is ABSOLUTELY unnecessary(the sub) just abhors me. As was visible by games such as GW1, GW 2, LoL, DoTA 2, SMITE, TSW(you choose the game),... it is CLEARLY visible that there is NO need for subscriptions.

I haven't played the others but do they have cash shops? can you buy things and spend money other than the purchase of the game.?

As I said in another thread, these games need "x" amount of dollars to stay afloat. Period. Developers moved to f2p because, though it does lower the barrier to entry and keep a healthy (hopefully) churn going, it uncaps the amounts that players can spend and a certain demographic will spend quite a lot.

But with that model, they don't know how much money they will rake in from month to month and they need to constantly monetize new aspcects of their game to keep money flowing.

The amount of money that it takes to run these things (and I'm not talking about internet use) is still the same. All developres/producers have done is try to figure out a way to get more of it. If you aren't paying then I can assure you someone else is paying for you.

Regardless if this bothers you or not the bill is being paid. And once they have sold as much as they can they will come up with new ways to make ends meet.

Game costs for development and keeping the company afloat haven't magically gone away.

Yes, they have costume or such cash shops. Similar to GW 1. But it DOES NOT bother me! It's not like the dreaded pay2win(which is a nonsense outside of TRUE f2ps-as long as it is obtainable within the game, it is not pay2win).

And yes. It is 110% unnecessary. I can't see how have we returned from the Modern ages(B2P, Freemium) to the Middle ages(P2P). Is just...wrong. Heh it reminds me of Egypt and how they are regressing back what with salafists and all.

I'm not talking about pay to win. I'm talking about "games need x amount of dollars to stay afloat.

You are essentially making a statement saying that games only need to charge for initial cost of the game and if they have a cosmetic shop then that's fine "no biggie".

I'm saying that games need x amount of dollars and game companies need to make that money. If they charge a monthly fee they make x amount of dollars. If they get rid of that monthly fee they still need those dollars so they hope that they can make enough oncosmetics.

And they constantly have to offer new cosmetics, I see a banker's gollum there and I wonder what else? Doesn't matter, they still need the money. "X" amount of dollars always needs to be made. And if they don't get it one way they get it another. So "no" you don't know what is needed to keep these games afloat. All you see is that "now" they get their money from others willing to pay it and it doesn't affect you as it once did.

Exactly what I was getting at earlier.

Let's not forget that games are becoming more expensive to develop. On WoW it used to take them a week to create a new monster. Nowadays it can take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks to complete. Add in several more weeks just to complete a boss creature.

Larger feature sets. Graphics. Having to hit the ground running vs other titles already launched and beefed up with content.

These developers are not running a charitable organization.

The investors are not fooling around.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Fly666monkey
    A now to circle overhead like a vulture... in time, TESO, in time...

This actually made me laugh..   Well played sir.

I actually give them props for choosing 12.99 rather than the standard BS number that's been attached to subs for how many years now?  

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• CharlesPostCharlesPost Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I'll wait till it goes F2P. After Guild Wars 2 being pay once play forever and Rift going F2P. There is no reason for another 15 dollars a month MMO. The market has changed. 
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by NBlitz

Let's not forget that games are becoming more expensive to develop. On WoW it used to take them a week to create a new monster. Nowadays it can take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks to complete. Add in several more weeks just to complete a boss creature.

Larger feature sets. Graphics. Having to hit the ground running vs other titles already launched and beefed up with content.

I like it when someone comes up with cool hard and really not made up facts!

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115
    I have no interest in TESO but I'm thrilled they're going P2P.  Same with FFXIV and Wildstar.  Down with F2P!  That fact that EQ Next will be F2P is so disappointing.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

Bookmark my words.

They will launch suck up box sales on the shiny new factor, ride monthly subs until the novelty wears off, and once subs plummet, they will go F2P and then nickel dime you to death.

It’s the “real” new pricing model. Watch and learn.

You heard it here first, I’m so sure of this i would bet on it.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115
    Originally posted by r3t3

Bookmark my words.

They will launch suck up box sales on the shiny new factor, ride monthly subs until the novelty wears off, and once subs plummet, they will go F2P and then nickel dime you to death.

Of course they will.  TESO won't have the draw to stay P2P.  Just the fact that they're launching with P2P, however, pleases me.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by bdew

So FFXIV, Wildstar and now TESO are all sub based, I can't be happier.

So tired of all thos bullshit nickle-and-dime P2W cash shop crap.

I have to agree. The phrase "free to play" is the biggest misnomer  in this genre. I also believe a lot of these F2P games will eventually crash and burn in the coming years. Reminds me of the old Dot Coms bubble burst in 2000. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • Shanks123Shanks123 Member UncommonPosts: 99
    nothing worse then people who complain about 50 cents a day. get your ass off the internet and go to work/school if you cant afford that.

I'm Here. I'm Awesome. Get Used To It.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by bloodaxes

I saw posts saying wildstar will fail for being P2P when there's ESO and EQN being f2p.

Now that ESO is P2P too their only hope for free is EQN.

Unless..... 

im betting EQN will have an optional sub image

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

So is this game going to be $60 and sub?  I would possibly consider it at $30 and a sub after the first month (assuming the game isn't a linear quest hub themepark).

No way will I pay $60 and a sub for Wildstar or this game.  I'll give both games  6 - 12 months before Freemium kicks in and then I will give them a try.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by someforumguy

I got my "really not made up facts" from a column WoW's former Team lead, Mark Kern, wrote a while ago.

Mark Kern: MMO Development Needs Change

Edit: derp, grammar.

I got my "really not made up facts" from a column WoW's former Team lead, Mark Kern, wrote a while ago.

It seems somewhat similar to what Sony is doing with Everquest Next. IN that they have this round table site as well as incorporating player made items from that "Minecraftesque" product (can't remember the name.)

• nycdannycdan Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Originally posted by NL-Rikkert
    And they just lost a large chunck of potential customers.. why would you pay monthly for a game when you have hundreds of alternatives. Was curious if they could bring the SP experience combined with friends and the best of MMOs, but I have lost all my interest now. Not everyone has money to spent these days. Sub will just not work for me atm.

I think another intepretation is they lost a large chunk of non-paying customers in exchange for a smaller number of paying customers.  While I completely understand the disappointment of many who are limited to F2P, it's not unreasonable for a company to pick the subscription model if their forecasts deem it more likely to generate higher revenue. 

I have dabbled in a number of F2P games, but the number I spend money on is much lower.  I'm actually more comfortable with the subscription model as I know that as long as I'm paying, I'm on equal footing with everyone else.   Going F2P at the start guarantees a much higher population but also a much higher number of bot accounts and all the trouble that brings. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

depends on the game and tech tools available

here's commentary to the contrary

http://eq2wire.com/2013/08/04/the-book-closes-on-another-soe-live/

Demoed at the Art & Animation panel, EQ2′s new Terrain Editor allowed the creation of a large island zone in 10 HOURS.

The zone was much more intricate and detailed, flora and landscape elements just looked so much better, and significantly improved pathing is built in as well. No more NPCs and characters flipping around at odd angles as non-flat surfaces are encountered.

It was truly amazing and I can’t say enough about it. In the past, the Design team has had to ask the Art team for new zones 6-9 months in advance. Now, we’ll see zones rapidly prototyped and iterated so much faster that who knows, there might even be some time to goose up some older zones which are interesting lorewise but visually dull (like Thundering Steppes).

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by achesoma
    Originally posted by bdew

So FFXIV, Wildstar and now TESO are all sub based, I can't be happier.

So tired of all thos bullshit nickle-and-dime P2W cash shop crap.

I have to agree. The phrase "free to play" is the biggest misnomer  in this genre. I also believe a lot of these F2P games will eventually crash and burn in the coming years. Reminds me of the old Dot Coms bubble burst in 2000. 

probably the ones developed from the ground up as F2P which are made with even lower quality, those could crash and burn and i wouldnt mind. But the thing is. All these subscription games that keep crashing and burning, survive as a result of changing models. So, we have seen more sub based mmos crash and burn and be reborn as F2P or B2P with a sub option and at least prolonged their lifetime a bit more that they would with a sub only.

And subscription fanatics say that they were bad games and this and that, trying to justify why their favorite model keeps making mediocre games that crash and burn because even themselves (sub fans) refuse to pay for. WHich doesnt change the fact that subscription mmos are coming with F2P quality in the last few years and every single one of them has been proof of that.

• mikelafalcemikelafalce Member Posts: 13
    Why is $15/ month the magic go to subscription price? Even $10/month would rock the MMO market.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by someforumguy

Edit: derp, grammar.

I guess Arenenet is running a charitable organization then with their B2P payment model.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by TookyG
    Originally posted by r3t3

Bookmark my words.

Of course they will.  TESO won't have the draw to stay P2P.  Just the fact that they're launching with P2P, however, pleases me.

This p!sses me of though as everyone is investing into a future which does not exist for this game.

You blow 60+ on the entrance fee; then play for 2 to 3 months tops or until you realize it’s just another cookie cutter and or novelty wears off, and you’re out over a hundred bucks.

A few months later everyone gets the game FREE and cost to them is NOTHING to play whenever they want. Then the people whom actually thought they were investing into a P2P atmosphere are royally PO’d because “it’s not that game anymore."

***NEW FLASH! They could not give a rats behind about you anymore as they got what they wanted from you, box sale and a monthly cash drip while they work on the F2P model, plus you’re no longer the majority voice anymore, simply the few diehards who stuck around too long hoping F2P would never come, F2P players are now your rulers.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L