Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] General: Bubbling Back Home Again

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Blizzard's Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft may not be an MMO, but it certainly has the internet astir with its addictive and approachable card-battling action. Bill Murphy's been playing it for a week or so now, and has some initial impressions to share.

The charm of Warcraft is all there, feeling of sitting down in an Inn in Elwynn Forest is something tangible, hovering over this “game board” dueling away against other heroes from the Warcraft lore.  It’s very evocative, and what’s more, it’s very fun. I hesitate to call Hearthstone a TCG, because you won’t actually trade or compete for cards, but instead will earn more cards in-game or buy them for real money. Hearthstone will be F2P when it officially launches later this year, but something tells me card game fanatics will wind up broke opening booster packs.

Read the rest of Bill's Hearthstone: Bubbling Back Home Again.

This is what happens when Jaina whips Hemet Nesingwary.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• XarnthalXarnthal Member Posts: 130

HEX is far more interesting as it's closer to MTG. I feel like Hearthstone is a simplified version of MTG, which doesn't really excite the TCG community. HEX will thrive on strategy, MTG thrives on decades of evolving strategy, whereas Hearthstone will thrive on having Warcraft in the name.

Sennheiser
    Assist
    Thage

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

You should stop speaking for the TCG community.

That said, it's a CCG, not a TCG. WOOPS!

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

Seems to me a bit too simple and dumbed down. I'm afraid it will be a "more money=better cards=win" game.

Looking forward to HEX, or maybe Wizards will finally get a good Magic Online game running

Hodor!

• French_Fr1esFrench_Fr1es Member UncommonPosts: 42
    i wish i could play hearthstone i already sign up for beta but i am from europe and i think i dont have a chance
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Originally posted by gwei1984

Seems to me a bit too simple and dumbed down. I'm afraid it will be a "more money=better cards=win" game.

Looking forward to HEX, or maybe Wizards will finally get a good Magic Online game running

Sadly Wizards don't have anything to gain by putting out cheaper online version of their card game.

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

The game is awesome. I hate WOW, but love this.  WOW as bad as it is as an MMORPG to me, it does have great lore and that is what this game uses, the lore from WOW, Warcraft series. I have only been at it a couple days, but can tell I won't get sick of it for a long, long time, its amazingly fun/addictive.

Also, this game has tons of depth.  You have tons of classes to choose from(unlock), can customize them to your liking, you have weapons to equip on your class, tons of special cards and strategy involved. Each class also has its own special move it can play each turn if you want to spend the points. 

This will be the card game to make card games something everybody is playing. Similar to how League of legends(and now DOTA 2) made MOBAs something everyone is playing.

BTW I also have scrolls by Mojang which uses a hex like board where you place your cards and move them around and stuff like a tactical rpg mixed with card game, but that game was never as fun as Hearthstone IMO. I liked Scrolls at first, but it has only 4-5 deck types and not enough types of cards either, so once you figure out 3-4 decks, everyone will use them because of the lack of "classes/decks"

Hearthstone has so much polish and quality to it also. The cards/characters talk and taunt each other all during the game, amazing effects when cards are playing, the board has all kinds of clickable thing to mess with while waiting for your turn, the menus and way you unpack new decks and all of that is all done so well.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• GrokedGroked Member Posts: 1
    Nice write up. Looking forward to the game. By the way... it's Hearthstone, not Heartstone as you have on your front page title. ;)
  • SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    As a very experienced MTG player, I have concerns with Hearthstone. While the style and animations are brilliant ( Blizzard knows polish), the mechanics may just be too simplistic for me. I have watched( or tried to watch) a few gameplay videos, but quickly grow frustrated at the inability of the players to play. I find myself yelling at the screen, telling them what they should be doing, as it is so obvious to me LOL. I've never even touched the game, but the strategy is obvious just watching others play. Yeah, may be way too simple for an experienced TCG player.

• BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

I have never played a card game like this in my life.  And I can already say I am hooked.

i watch it on twitch.tv like ever day and am begging for them to release this game.  Blizzard struck gold again.  This game is gonna dominate.  

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    This game looks like fun.  I've always liked card games.
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    I was very dismissive of it when I saw the first announcements a few months back - not because I thought it wouldn't be fun, but because it felt like something that should have been released as a minigame within WoW (basically make it the next expansion's version of the pet battle minigame).  But having watched some streams and reading some of the hyped-up forums, it does seem like there are quite a few people out there eager to throw real money at the screen.
  • SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

I guess you never played a card game before. In case you didn't know, about every single CCG/TCG is "more money=better/more cards=more chances to win" game.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by SirFubar

I guess you never played a card game before. In case you didn't know, about every single CCG/TCG is "more money=better/more cards=more chances to win" game.

Not exactly.

Played Magic.The Gathering for about 4 years and while you had advantages with better cards, the gameplay is deep enough to let players win with better strategies even with common decks. I have never seen a tournament where the player with the best cards won anything. It was always the player with the best strategy and the guy who was best at adapting to other decks.

I cant see that coming in Hearthstone, because the gameplay seems too simple. But also i have to admit, its hard to compare a tcg that runs for over 15 years to a  completely new one.

Hodor!

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    "while Hemet Nesingwary is the Hunter."  Just a minor correction.  Rexxar is the hunter you play, not Hemet Nesingwary.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• DangerNobuoDangerNobuo Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Originally posted by SirFubar

Not exactly.

Played Magic.The Gathering for about 4 years and while you had advantages with better cards, the gameplay is deep enough to let players win with better strategies even with common decks. I have never seen a tournament where the player with the best cards won anything. It was always the player with the best strategy and the guy who was best at adapting to other decks.

I cant see that coming in Hearthstone, because the gameplay seems too simple. But also i have to admit, its hard to compare a tcg that runs for over 15 years to a  completely new one.

What you fail to include is that even the common decks can cost upwards of $500...

Personally I've been having a lot of fun with Infinity Wars card game but I'm really excited for Hearthstone too.

Not sure about HEX yet.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

If anybody is interested in watching people play Hearthstone, I would check out their twitch.tv directory

Nolife Kripparrian and Reckful get a ton of streamers whenever they are on and they are both pretty good for being brand new to the game.

• The_SnizzThe_Snizz Member UncommonPosts: 16
    If anyone has a beta key hit me up please!
  • JC122JC122 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Is MMORPG going to do a beta key give away?
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    How come this mini game cannot be part of WoW? It is both multiplayer and relevant to the lore, add in game consequences like betting reputation or something and you have a winner.
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Scot
    How come this mini game cannot be part of WoW? It is both multiplayer and relevant to the lore, add in game consequences like betting reputation or something and you have a winner.

Because there's millions of potential customers who do not play wow? And what lore tbh? The warcraft lore has been butchered a thousand times by wow just to add more raids/playable races/whatever new content.

I will play heartstone when it launches, but I would not reactivate wow and start paying monthly fee just to play this, I ensure you I'm not alone on this.

• creepzcreepz Member Posts: 17

I'm watching streamers play Hearthstone because I'm from Europe and I can't be in the beta.

It's a lot of fun, I think the arena system is really nice and a lot of people will hear of this game.

Can't wait for them to actually launch ALREADY...

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    "

Blizzard's Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft may not be an MMO"

should have stopped right there...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Scot

Good question actually, SOEs similar game can be played from inside EQ 1and 2, and you can unlock cards from inside the game.

It might be fun and Blizzard is urely going to earn money on it but it isn't a particularly unique idea. 

The game should be part of Wow and they could sell booster in Wows RMT shop. I think that would be both more fun and easier.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

I like the idea of a card-based game, but the implementations I've tried (MTG, LoN) are just tedious and boring. Anything Blizzard can do to spice up the gameplay is a win in my book. I'll give it a try when it's available. 

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    If you have and like magic why would you even play this? But it like WoW, Warcraft etc would be a good first game to play to introduce you to the genre as it will open it up to more people. For example if it wasn't for WoW 100k subs would be considered a success and they all would be 15 y/o pale kids with glasses in their mums basement or they would have grown up by now and moved out but still be playing the same game. Ahh yeah... I miss those days.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.