Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls Confirmed as First Expansion

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

During the Blizzard Press Conference at Gamescom in Cologne Germany, Blizzard has confirmed that "Reaper of Souls" will be the first expansion to Diablo 3

Reaper will introduce the Crusader class which brings the total of playable classes to six, an increased level cap to 70, a whole new act to play through and a new big bad Malthael. (Why is called Diablo, then? /snark)

According to Blizzard, Malthael is the fallen angel of wisdom, now an angel of death. He's is working to reap both demons and humans alike and end them all. Blizzard is also working to offer different options to Diablo 3's endgame. This includes loot runs and upgrades to the game's paragon system, plus much more.

Blizzard also plans to revamp the loot system in the game. Loot 2.0, as Blizzard calls it, will have more drops for the class you are playing at the time.  Loot runs are also being added to the game: 20 minute random dungeons with a random boss for quick loot and coop adventures.

Stay tuned to this post for more details as we scrounge them up!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Diablo 3 was a mixed bag that ended up driving me away with it's real money auction house, among other problems. Don't see myself buying this expansion.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGp5dkJdi0w

I am pumped for this one as I do like to play DiabloIII. How exactly the loot, Paragon, endgame and new crusader class work out is too hard to tell at this early stage. But, an extra 20 levels could be a long-termblast if Blizz make the XP climb very steep.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

thats it? thats it?

what? 1 class and new zones... what piece of junk.

got D3 played game and have max lvl barb. no way in hell i buy tis expasion pack after D3 fail.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Sweet.  I'm excited.  Currently enjoying D3 again so i'll definitely be picking up this expansion.
  • davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

thats it? thats it?

got D3 played game and have max lvl barb. no way in hell i buy tis expasion pack after D3 fail.

+1 

D3 is already dead for me

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

thats it? thats it?

New class, new zones, new loot, new gameplay modes, expanded endgame, story continuation... the hell else do you want? It's a bloody expansion pack, not a whole new game FFS!

Ten bucks says you're one of those people who have played the game for hundreds or even thousands of hours, get burned out on it (happens with just about every game which is played too much), then head over to the forums to tell people that the game sucks.

Back on topic, I'm very happy about this announcement. I can't wait to see what they have in store for both story continuation & gameplay additions / improvements. It'll also be nice to see the folks on the hate wagon squirm, because an expansion being made pretty much prove their assertions that the game is a 'failure' completely wrong. Of course, about 4 million people already knew that but...

Can't wait to try out the crusader. I do so miss my D2 paladin sometimes, and I hope the play style is similar (looks to be that way from the video).

Edit: I should also point out that D2: LoD only offered 2 new classes & 1 new act. Yet once again, people throw facts to the wayside in order to jump on the hate train. I've said it a million times, and I'll probably say it a million more; the hypocrisy by the fans who see themselves as 'slighted' because the game wasn't D2 with better graphics is absolutely astounding.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

loot fixes in an expansion pack...

oh blizzard how far you have fallen

BUY OUR EXP! more drops! (we know the loot was horrible before but you can now pay us €30 and get it better) 

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    So its a paladin after all, knew it. :)
  • pj2501pj2501 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    if they put Ladder system ...ill think about it
  • DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602
    I just hope the expansion isn't more than $29.99. For one extra class and one act I won't be paying more than that. 
  • LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223

Thanks but no thanks. Auction house was crap, the game itself was crap.  I'll wait patiently for GrimDawn.

And like the saying goes : Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.  I got screwed by Blizzard once with D3, I'm not about to get screwed a 2nd time with their Xpac.   

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181

not an mmo, why is it covered here?

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Still no necromancer class?

Skipping.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

A Paladin type class?

YES!

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by sudo
    Still no necromancer class?Skipping.

I hear ya, Still waiting on a rogue class.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• nero102nero102 Member Posts: 1
    just 1 extra class? think ill pass should of been at least 3 extra
  • DragonMyth88DragonMyth88 Member UncommonPosts: 245

reaper of wallets, boycott blizzard.

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

Looks awesome, like all the changes and the new class seems really cool.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

I think some are thinking this is a new game, it's an expansion guys hence just 1 class and 1 new act.  I would have liked to have seen some info about the along delayed PvP.  Still a day buy 1 for me cus' it's Blizzard.  TAKE MY MONEY DAMN IT!

Did they mention a release date at all?

• bubbabillbubbabill Member Posts: 80
    if there is still a ah then no thanks.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Diablo III I don't think is fixable, even with an expansion.  The development staff has not one clue what made Diablo II so successful.  Probably the most clueless development staff in the business.

Unless they make huge changes to the loot table, the expansion will again fall flat.  I have 100's of hours in Diablo III, I try it after every patch thinking it will get better.  NOT.  I have never had a set item or legendary item fall ever.  That is so pathetic it is ludicrous to think the expansion will get any better.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by spawn12345

loot fixes in an expansion pack...

oh blizzard how far you have fallen

BUY OUR EXP! more drops! (we know the loot was horrible before but you can now pay us €30 and get it better) 

if its anything like the way they do patches for WoW's expansions. those loot fixes will be in major patches just before the expansion is set to launch like 1-2 months before.

they always advertise new features for WoW with expansions, yet those features aren't solely obtained when you buy the expansion, they're dropped with major patches just BEFORE expansion drops.

take WoW's new talent system, they advertised that in expansion, yet it was in major patch just before expansion hit the shelves.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Diablo III I don't think is fixable, even with an expansion.  The development staff has not one clue what made Diablo II so successful.  Probably the most clueless development staff in the business.

Unless they make huge changes to the loot table, the expansion will again fall flat.  I have 100's of hours in Diablo III, I try it after every patch thinking it will get better.  NOT.  I have never had a set item or legendary item fall ever.  That is so pathetic it is ludicrous to think the expansion will get any better.

Game was so bad you spent hundreds of hours playing it... yeah, just refer to my first post in this thread.

The game is overall very good, and is extremely popular. It most certainly didn't 'fall flat', and every patch so far has in fact made the game better. The dev team is doing a fine job, and calling them 'clueless' is incredibly ignorant & small minded.

Sorry, but no matter how much the haters such as yourself may wish it, the game is thriving just as well as, if not better than, Diablo 2 back in its hayday.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    I think it is important to state that the loot runs give Diablo III a real endgame purpose now.  
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by InsaneDalek
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Game was so bad you spent hundreds of hours playing it... yeah, just refer to my first post in this thread.

The game is overall very good, and is extremely popular. It most certainly didn't 'fall flat', and every patch so far has in fact made the game better. The dev team is doing a fine job, and calling them 'clueless' is incredibly ignorant & small minded.

Sorry, but no matter how much the haters such as yourself may wish it, the game is thriving just as well as, if not better than, Diablo 2 back in its hayday.

I know, I love people who say stuff like that.

"I played this game for a gazillion hours so I KNOW it sucks!" Yep, you sure proved how much you hate that game by sinking hundreds of hours into it. Way to go champ.

What these people really want to say is, "I really wanted this game to replace my life, and I wanted to play it all day everyday without getting bored."