Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Outside of graphics, this game could've come out in 2005. How can people be excited about tab target

I played and it was nice to be in the FF world but it doesn't seem any better or worse than any f2p mmo out. 

Comments

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

And somehow you felt like you had to make yet another single sentence thread instead of posting it as a comment in one of the dozens of "i dont liek ff14/it brings nothing new to moi!!11" threads.

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

Simple.

Taste's are different. I like Oldschool. And i give a shit about "hopping around like a Bunny" with 3 Bars of Skills which doing all nearly the same anyways.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

*No item mall. Already there better than most f2ps.

*Living breathing world.

*Interdependent crafting

-------------------------------------

However, of course, it is FF and that's what really sets it apart. It feeels and breathes FF. (Nostalgia is powerful)

It is certainly not your min-max game or PvP game. 

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
     Outside of graphics,   really? try at max setting is great for me
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by Ilaya

Simple.

Taste's are different. I like Oldschool. And i give a shit about "hopping around like a Bunny" with 3 Bars of Skills which doing all nearly the same anyways.

If you like 'old school', that doesn't explain why you would flock to FFXIV. It's a Final Fantasy flavored rendition of WoW. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing - WoW got quite a bit right, especially at launch. But FFXIV isn't any more what is generally considered 'old school' than Rift.

<3

• Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263
    It's sub because the game has already lost money with it's original release and then the company sank hundreds of thousands of dollars to relaunch it as the fans requested. In the end it's about making money. That said, this is a P2P game with a box price of only $29.99 (unless you go collector edition which it's the price of most normal P2P box values) And then you can sub for only $12.99 a month, which again is below most subscription models. If you don't enjoy the Final Fantasy world enough to want to play online with others inside that world, and can't appreciate the story and mechanics to the game. Then you don't need to play. There's nothing wrong with you not enjoying the game enough to pay for it. But this game could not go f2p without becoming pay to win and make enough money to be profitable with the costs Square Enix has lost so far on this title. Other than Rift, all other f2p games end up costing you well over $20 a month if you're a serious end-game player with the cash shop items that get released. People don't realize that f2p just means it's free to try out and level, but you pay more in the long run to keep playing it at end game. I prefer the p2p model as it keeps things fair and filters out kids and others who can't afford the subscription or don't plan on committing their time to a single MMO.
  • LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

In-depth crafting

Beautiful world

CHOCOBOS!

No frickin' cash shop

Multiple classes/jobs at once

Final Fantasy conceits and concepts

No frickin' cash shop

Chocobos can fight with you!

No obnoxious duels/PVP areas/flagging

Good community

Did I mention No Frickin' Cash Shops? =)

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251
    Guys. Guys. If we want these forums to get better, we have to stop dignifying half-hearted troll threads like this with responses.
  • KaiyeKaiye Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Originally posted by Arthasm
    I'll tell you why. All those hyped next gen garbage, Messiah, Jesus, younameit, failed so freakin bad. They didn't deliver nothing, but hype by PR shit and whatever. No matter being P2P or B2P or F2P. What FFXIV brought? Nothing. Nothing new. Everything already seen. They didn't invent hot water or wheel. They just made MMORPG like any other old/new. But, but, but. They done it so fucking good. 

Not like I'm for - or against - this MMORPG but your statement of:

"I'll tell you why. All those hyped next gen garbage, Messiah, Jesus, younameit, failed so freakin bad. They didn't deliver nothing, but hype by PR shit and whatever."

You realize that FFXIV was such a failure at launch that they pulled the game, remade it, and are now reselling it?  Not like that's a bad thing, but FFXIV was just a much a train wreck as those other MMORPGs that you're mentioning.  Hopefully they'll get it right with this re-release, but I'll wait to find out.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    I dunno, I feel the game lost alot of its uniqueness by them making it a generic wow clone. They made the game too soloable, imo they should have made it so you can't solo too much too easly so people would party more. I am sick and tired of these themepark mmorpgs where its pretty much a single player game for most of it.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Ilaya

Simple.

What game is like that, or is this just an Internet cliche

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Because this is what MMORPGs are.  They aren't action adventure games.  They're RPGs.  Sure there are action RPGs but I don't really play those.  Hell I didn't even really play dragon age or elder scrolls but I have countless hours on classic square soft titles.
    Originally posted by Siveria
    I dunno, I feel the game lost alot of its uniqueness by them making it a generic wow clone. They made the game too soloable, imo they should have made it so you can't solo too much too easly so people would party more. I am sick and tired of these themepark mmorpgs where its pretty much a single player game for most of it.

Then join parties more. I was in a group at least half the time I was playing.  Nothing stops you from still doing things in a party.  The only thing I really did solo was the story/class quests but even some of those I had to do in a party.  And, yes I mean had.
  • raas1337raas1337 Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by Masterfuzzfuzz
    I played and it was nice to be in the FF world but it doesn't seem any better or worse than any f2p mmo out. 

That topic name....

Guess what, some ppl prefer mmo's was in 2005 much more then how they are now, how the heck is that hard to understand ?

Beside of that, i honestly hate "action mmo" like tera, they are become so boring after a while. GCD ? i like how it is now, and i hate how wow turns into "who can do more APM" in some classes to pull better dps, its not fun to play.

Many ppl forget beside MMO there is second part....RPG. And Tera is not a MMORPG but MMO ACTION GAME.

• KuviskiKuviski Member UncommonPosts: 215

What's wrong with tab targeting and global cooldowns? They're basic mechanics that work very well. I can see nothing wrong with them.

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354

why are people playing FPS since doom , if COD4 was released in 1990 it would have been fine. see what I did here?. do not take into depth, but generally speaking , it works and it works for specific segment of the market. if all of MMO players have the same taste, they would be all playing one single MMO out of 1000s, it just FFXIV devs made the right choice by choosing which segment to target since appearently it is a very large segment.

I hope an AAA company brings an innovative gameplay for you to enjoy, but I also hope for you to respect this segment of the market and their choices of old-school "outdated" MMO system.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

People need to think more broadly. Whether you like the game or not, the fact that FF XIV failed, was pulled, remade and relaunched as a substantially better game is GOOD for the industry and therefore good for us players.

Imagine if EA/Mythic had had the guts to do that with Warhammer, or NCSoft with Tabula Rasa, hell even SOE with SWG after the CU/NGE debacle? What would we get? Better games, that's what.

So think about that, whether you like the game or not it doesn't matter. If more companies did what Squenix have done the MMO world would be a better place.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    In 2005 there wasn't too much wrong with MMOs .dont change it if it ain't broken. If they haven't messed up EQ game play and up done the graphics there would be no need to look any further and the same can be said for WoW.
  • LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223

And that's why I thank God for SquareEnix's decision on doing  FF14 P2P , one less troll to worry about. Can't wait to get my physical copy next week!! image

• AzartenAzarten Member UncommonPosts: 33
    You know what, after playing in the Beta 4 weekend I realized how much I had missed that combat style where some strategy was required rather than literally button mashing my way through combat.  Smacking a few buttons as fast as I can doesn't equal fun combat to me, so I'm glad that all developers haven't jumped on the bandwagon and we still have some choice rather than making all games the same.
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

FFXIV is awesome because they don't need to reinvent the wheel. 

People who want the MMO genre reinvented with action combat and FPS mechanics are not true MMO fans. They are just gamers who want an open world game. MMO's need to stay true to their MMO roots.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

The reason is simple.

Lately there's been an uptrend of people who seem to feel threatened by the paradigm of MMOs moving away from what it originally was. There's a group of people who want to play more of what they already had.

FF basically does a good job of making you feel like you're playing a new game, when in reality it's just more of the same. It's a comfortable game, with an IP that a lot of us grew up on. That's why people are excited.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by fs23otm

FFXIV is awesome because they don't need to reinvent the wheel. 

People who want the MMO genre reinvented with action combat and FPS mechanics are not true MMO fans. They are just gamers who want an open world game. MMO's need to stay true to their MMO roots.

You do realize, with that logic; you're pretty much forfeiting your right to ever complain that MMOs are 'stangnant', 'all clones', 'lack innovation', etc. You're basically signing off any & all innovation because you liked the first taste you got, and don't want to believe there's anything equally good or better.

It's akin to someone swearing off cars, because they grew up riding horses, and then saying that people who drive cars are not 'true' racing fans. You'll never get anything better if you don't open change. And you don't get change if you're completely against innovation. Unfortunately, this means being open minded enough to accept things trying to be different.

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

Why does everyone always think that every single game out there has to appeal to their personal taste?

Not every single game out there is made for YOU to play.

This game appeals to two types of players:

1) The kind of player that always dreamed of becoming a part of the classic FFverse

2) The kind of player who simply wants a polished, beautiful, decent classic mmorpg.

If you are not one of those two types of players, then i truly wish you the best in your quest to find the perfect game that meets your interests, but i found mine,  and it´s name is Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.

( And when i feel like some fun, flashy button mashing i play Phantasy Star Online 2 <3 )

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334

You'd think by now, people would realize that different people enjoy different things for different reasons, and they will often not align with everyone else's; that liking or disliking something doesn't make one's opinion "right", nor anyone else's "wrong".

Imagine how much better conversations could become if more people would catch on to this simple and obvious fact.

Also, can we stop using "the year" as some kind of qualifier for "what a MMO should or shouldn't have"? Please? It's not a good argument, at all. There's absolutely zero basis for it, outside of someone's own personal preferences. It's just another way people attempt to assert their own preferences as "divine dogma".

Gameplay mechanics are gameplay mechanics. Graphic styles are simply graphic styles. Revenue models are just revenue models.  Each is chosen based on what works best for the intended game a developer is creating. If you don't like a given choice, then you simply don't like it. If you prefer something else, then you simply prefer something else. Whether it's "2013", "2010", "2005", or "2050" makes absolutely no difference.

Think of how interesting conversations on these forums could be if people stopped filling their posts with over-used and poorly thought out "canned arguments" to dismiss any opinion different than their own.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Take note of the ones feverishly defending the game. Check back 3+ months after launch if they're even still playing the game.

Then we'll see how old school worked out for them.

This discussion has been closed.