Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Subscription Model Announced

garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

At Gamescom this morning, Matt Firor, General Manager of ZeniMax Online, has revealed that Elder Scrolls Online will use the Subscription Model.  This has been confirmed on the Elder Scrolls Online Facebook Page.

Matt is quoted as saying: 

"We are creating a game that offers players the freedom to play alone or with friends for as long as they want. An extensive game with voice content, which from the beginning has hundreds of hours of gameplay and boasts a world-class customer support. A monthly fee, say a subscription model, allows us to precisely match the players experience to offer that we envision and expect above all our fans too. Another payment model would mean compromises and changes to which we just were not ready."

The Elder Scrolls Online offers unlimited fun for the first 30 days after purchase. You can play as much as you like. Many hundreds of hours of game content, PvP, etc. - all this awaits the player with the purchase of the game. Who wants to continue playing beyond the first month, paid the usual fee."

Maybe there will be discounts or similar later, but for now we are happy that we can finally announce our payment model. It is quite simple: The players pay once a month after the first 30 days and the full game is available to them."

The full interview with Matt Firor can be found here. 

:p 

Comments

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Yesss...better then the free stuff

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Hahaha, oh god this is hilarious!

I saw posts saying wildstar will fail for being P2P when there's ESO and EQN being f2p.

Now that ESO is P2P too their only hope for free is EQN.

Unless..... 

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

subs are the future..

• KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    I agree.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• caiozetcaiozet Member UncommonPosts: 15
    The monthly fee will be € 12,99, discounts if more months are bought at the same time.
  • bdewbdew Member UncommonPosts: 192

So FFXIV, Wildstar and now TESO are all sub based, I can't be happier.

So tired of all thos bullshit nickle-and-dime P2W cash shop crap.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Well this gonna be interesting. Since ESO and Wildstar plan to launch around the same time and both go p2p, most people who wanted to try both will just choose one of them. ESO might win this fight thx to IP.
  • ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by Stizzled

No surprise there (wasn't for Wildstar either). Pretty much every game that has been designed with F2P or B2P in mind has stated so, either at or not long after their announcement. In the current market it's a pretty good bet that if a game doesn't come out and announce their planned model early then it's probably going to be P2P.

Oh well, scratch that one off the list. I'll give it a go when it goes Freemium in however many months/years.

So you will only play the game when its dying? Cause that's the only time a game goes Freemium. When its the last resort to save the game. Sounds to me you are just bitter about P2P.

I am not shocked at this at all. If you want a game that has real quality to it, it NEEDS to be P2P to sustain said quality. Now the real question is: Will the product they put out be worthy of the monthly fee?

• Fly666monkeyFly666monkey Member UncommonPosts: 161
    A now to circle overhead like a vulture... in time, TESO, in time...
  • holzingerholzinger Member UncommonPosts: 5
    i was about to pay for this game even im not a Skyrim or any other betsheda title. i've changed my mind lol.
  • sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    I never meant to pay for this game even though i loved the elder scrolls games. I've changed my mind lol.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I am so happy to hear this. I am getting so sick and tired of nickel and dime cash shops. Guess what this means? NO HAVING TO PAY FOR EXTRA BAG SPACE OR FOR EXTRA HOTBARS (looking at you SWTOR)!

Smile

• lordoffilinglordoffiling Member Posts: 37
    Silly to think they would do anything else. Same thing with WildStar. They'll go with the monthly fee and milk it as long as they can to recoup their development costs, then convert to a F2P model about a year after launch.

This is always the plan. Oh, they hope for a runaway success like WoW but they know that sort of lightning will never strike twice. So they sponge up those dollars for as long as they can and shift to the payment model that actually works in the current market once the puddle is dry.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Razeekster
    I am so happy to hear this. I am getting so sick and tired of nickel and dime cash shops. Guess what this means? NO HAVING TO PAY FOR EXTRA BAG SPACE OR FOR EXTRA HOTBARS (looking at you SWTOR)!  

There will probably be a cash shop too.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TorgirTorgir Member Posts: 27
    Beautiful. This day will mark the beginning of the end of the western mmo F2P model. So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
  • KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 167

You are excited to pay a subscription cause it means you can avoid the free-to-play pitfalls of a game that also has a subscription option to avoid said pitfalls?

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by lizardbones

There will probably be a cash shop too.

what he says during the interview makes it sound like there wont be one.  read it.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by bloodaxes

Hahaha, oh god this is hilarious!

I saw posts saying wildstar will fail for being P2P when there's ESO and EQN being f2p.

Now that ESO is P2P too their only hope for free is EQN.

Unless..... 

It is totally hilarious !image

Great news, made even more enjoyable by the freeloader tears and predictions of doom, lol

2 down, 1 to go ?

I believe EQ:Next will definitely launch as an F2P title. However, I also expect it will have some VERY attractive freemium options and a huge marketing campaign to sell "Starter Packs". I cannot believe SOE will be happy to recoup the significant development cost of EQ:Next over 5 or 10 years of CS income from "cosmetic item" sales.

• LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    This is great news as long as their is no bs cash shop involved. Let's hope this game keeps the bs cash shop out.
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Good news. Don't like f2p crap anyway.
  • DrDreamDrDream Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Originally posted by Xarko
    Well this gonna be interesting. Since ESO and Wildstar plan to launch around the same time and both go p2p, most people who wanted to try both will just choose one of them. ESO might win this fight thx to IP.

Personally im still going for Wildstar, i may try ESO when it has a free trial or if i hear amazing things otherwise im not much for Real time combat in my MMO's i like Tab-target.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Cool. There's another $60 I would have wasted on a themepark PvE MMO that I would have gotten bored of after a month or two that I can now instead invest or spend on something better. Maybe if I hear good things about AvA, I'll check out TESO in late 2014 when it adds a no sub option.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Will wait until it goes f2p now.
  • vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by DrDream
    Originally posted by Xarko

Personally im still going for Wildstar, i may try ESO when it has a free trial or if i hear amazing things otherwise im not much for Real time combat in my MMO's i like Tab-target.

From what I understand I believe Wildstar is action combat as well.  Both use telegraphs, dodge mechanics, limited action bars, and cone/aoe for hit determination.  I haven't played either, so maybe I have the wrong impression here.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Looks like they're really going after the MMO market and putting their relation to the SP games aside. We'll see how it turns out. To be honest, both Wildstar and FFARR seem to be better games PvE wise.