Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO will be P2P

RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208

So here it is: http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/the-elder-scrolls-online/artikel/www.gamestar.de/spiele/the-elder-scrolls-online/artikel/the_elder_scrolls_online,44578,3026853.html

What do you guys think? Is it a dealbreaker for you, are you happy there will be no cash shop?

Comments

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

Actually yes, that is a major deal breaker, I couldn't afford it even if I wanted to at this time. I would have happily purchased the game as a B2P game, but paying a monthly fee of $15 is crazy.  I really don't even understand how they can expect their console players to pay a monthly fee for console and a game on top of that. They are going to be losing a lot of customers with this model I think.

To those who can afford it, awesome! Hope you all enjoy the game. I will not waste my money, because i know they will end up switching models eventually anyway.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Lol well there goes any chance they had left.  

Seriously, that's like asking people to pay monthly for guild wars 2.  No justification.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    ofc its p2p. skyrim was too and all elder scrolls games.
  • Zarine7Zarine7 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    It's a deal breaker for me, personally. I already play one subscription based game, and I feel that I have to put in a lot of hours to even justify that. Sure, $14.99 isn't much.. but you have to account for all other monthly subscriptions you have, like Spotify, DirecTV, and Sirius Radio.
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

BTP is the only model i would accept for ESO....oh well i´ll stick to my beloved GW2.

Still having a blast there anyway.

Originally posted by Arskaaa

No, all their other games where BUY to play smart person. Pay to play means monthly fees. Skyrim was a one time fee, not monthly. >.>

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

those were "buy to play". there was no "pay to play" monthly sub.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Brabbit1987

Actually yes, that is a major deal breaker, I couldn't afford it even if I wanted to at this time. I would have happily purchased the game as a B2P game, but paying a monthly fee of $15 is crazy.  I really don't even understand how they can expect their console players to pay a monthly fee for console and a game on top of that. They are going to be losing a lot of customers with this model I think.

To those who can afford it, awesome! Hope you all enjoy the game. I will not waste my money, because i know they will end up switching models eventually anyway.

It is probably going to be a shock to most, but eventually it will be just taken for granted that if you want to play an MMO whatever platform you are using, you will have to pay a fee of some sort along the way, whether its F2P or not. If people want these games then their just going to have to accept that at some point, you actually have to pay for them. Personally i think the payment model for this game is the least of its problems. image

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Rhazmuz
    So here it is: http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/the-elder-scrolls-online/artikel/www.gamestar.de/spiele/the-elder-scrolls-online/artikel/the_elder_scrolls_online,44578,3026853.htmlWhat do you guys think? Is it a dealbreaker for you, are you happy there will be no cash shop? 

I think its going to be a really hard sell to the consolers..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208

What do you mean? That you had to pay for DLC or?

Skyrim and previous ES games where B2P, big difference to P2P where you pay a monthly fee to keep the ability to play them game.

Personally I would have preferred a B2P system similar to that of TSW, with a cash shop with more or less only cosmetic items.

I will prob get the game, and depending on how the first month pans out will evaluate if I will keep the sub. At least it isnt a flat 15 dollars/euros/pounds but adaptive to the strength of the currency.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

So here it is: http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/the-elder-scrolls-online/artikel/www.gamestar.de/spiele/the-elder-scrolls-online/artikel/the_elder_scrolls_online,44578,3026853.html

What do you guys think? Is it a dealbreaker for you, are you happy there will be no cash shop?

It is a dealbreaker. And I have to ask wtf is going on?!

More and more games are essentially offering the same things as standard AAA MMOs, for a fraction of the cost (no sub). The most recent example being GW2, but it's hardly the only one.

When I saw that FFXIV was going sub, I had to laugh, but I understood that they may not have had a choice, given how much money they've already lost on the game. Then WildStar came out with a sub model (albeit they're trying to pad that by allowing players to pay for it w/ ingame gold, which could work if implemented well). Now we have ESO also being P2P.

I wouldn't be surprised if the producers for these games think that a sub will make them retain players (and revenue) better. History shows the exact opposite to be true. Having 3 major games out at around the same time is going to hurt ALL 3 games to varying degrees. People have too many games nowadays, and few are willing to spend 45$ a month to play all 3. It's just not going to happen.

R.I.P. and I hope they change their mind.

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by Nitth

I think its going to be a really hard sell to the consolers..

It will be interesting to see how the console crowd reacts to this. I wonder how big a playerbase from consoles Zenimax has projected/calculated with, and what kind of research they have done to get this number.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Another? Yeash....

WOOT! I am so glad the games aren't biting immediately on to the cheap "B2P with milking cash shop" deal that GW2 seemed to start. Granted its not to hard to tell, most are likely expecting to swap to F2P after some time being released as an extra 'reinvigorating' move that a lot of games have done already. 

So long as there is ample 'trial' I really feel F2P isn't a required option. As soon as you get a cash shop, it becomes about nickel and diming the hardcore player to such a great extent, or exploiting people's gambling habits to play your game. While there are games that did a pretty good job on F2P (Aion or Tera, granted both have that moderate 'gambling' thing mixed in which makes me annoyed... but none the less) I just don't see it being refined enough to really eliminate the cash shop 'advantage' which they feel needing to get people to play, while B2P is unfortunately around with Cash shops as bad as many completely F2P ones, just with the added box cost on top.

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 167

Added to the Wildstar P2P announcement, I'm kind of stunned, considering the apparent trend to go FTP.  I prefer P2P, for a number of reasons, so this news is good to me.  But I'm wondering whether it is a mistake not to include some level of free access, even if severely limited.

I do believe, however, that Carbine and Zenimax are well aware of the potential for their sub model to fail in significant retention of players; that they have a fallback plan in place; and that that plan is not necessarily a worst case scenario but rather another opportunity to 'relaunch' their game for further profits and stronger long-term viability.  Regardless of the possibility of transitioning to FTP or not, the initial influx of revenue from game sales and subs is, at least in the publishers' and developers' views, probably a no-brainer.

• lafaiellafaiel Member UncommonPosts: 93
    This year is turning out great lol.  Time to people to start realizing they need to pick one good MMO that fits thier play style and support it.   Unless they have a crapton of time on thier hands.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

What do you mean? That you had to pay for DLC or?

Skyrim and previous ES games where B2P, big difference to P2P where you pay a monthly fee to keep the ability to play them game.

Personally I would have preferred a B2P system similar to that of TSW, with a cash shop with more or less only cosmetic items.

I will prob get the game, and depending on how the first month pans out will evaluate if I will keep the sub. At least it isnt a flat 15 dollars/euros/pounds but adaptive to the strength of the currency.

well yeah:) dlc as sub almost same. but i think P2P is best choice. game is after all open world pvp, we dont want cash shop here to pay to win or players look like clowns in world with cosmetic gear.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Rhazmuz Originally posted by Arskaaa ofc its p2p. skyrim was too and all elder scrolls games.
    What do you mean? That you had to pay for DLC or? Skyrim and previous ES games where B2P, big difference to P2P where you pay a monthly fee to keep the ability to play them game. Personally I would have preferred a B2P system similar to that of TSW, with a cash shop with more or less only cosmetic items. I will prob get the game, and depending on how the first month pans out will evaluate if I will keep the sub. At least it isnt a flat 15 dollars/euros/pounds but adaptive to the strength of the currency.
    well yeah:) dlc as sub almost same.
    no its not! lol

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

If the game turns out to be good then this will be an awesome thing :) but i cant see it being any good so it wont matter either way..

Sub games are the future.. :)

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Final Fantasy, Wildstar, and now Elder Scrolls, all going to be P2P.   I'm glad to see we'll finally be getting some quality MMO games and not the cash shop garbage F2P MMO #283 cranked out this month. 

Very happy major MMO's are going back to subscription/quality model.

I find it very funny how a lot of people call it a quality model, yet it isn't particularly anything new. It's been done before. Many games start off as this model and have to give it up when it doesn't hold enough subs. If this really was the case, how come this model never seems to hold up very well other then for a very select few games? Which mind you are slowly also adapting newer models.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    I find it very funny how a lot of people call it a quality model, yet it isn't particularly anything new. It's been done before. Many games start off as this model and have to give it up when it doesn't hold enough subs. If this really was the case, how come this model never seems to hold up very well other then for a very select few games? Which mind you are slowly also adapting newer models.

P2P is the model to go with, no doubt.  But it has to justify it with replay value that your paying for.  ESO will need to whip something out of no where, because as of now people have no clue what they're paying for.  There is no end game tier content, the best gear is gotten through crafting. So whatever replay value people are paying for is still unknown, and if it stays unknown this game will not last long P2P.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

You cannot compare a sinple player game to a MMORPG.. of course single player games dont have subs.. but your right that guy was wrong..

An mmorpg should be sub based without any silly cash shops.. access to all the content without paying extra.. then every now and then you get a nice big exp pack that you pay for.. the old ways always worked well and produced a lot of good games.. since the advent of this f2p junk we have hardly had 1 good mmorpg,,

Not saying ESO will be good we ahve to wait and see..

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by coretex666

It is perfectly logical from the business point of view.Above certain level of demand, P2P generates higher profit than F2P (and B2P as some people refer to F2P with box price).They launch the game as P2P to figure out whether the level of demand is high enough with the price tag of X USD / month.If the demand is below the mentioned level, only then will they switch to less profitable business model -> F2P.Any questions?

This. Of course to maximize revenues almost any AAA MMO is going to follow the above pattern, they get the best of all worlds, initial influx of box sales, steady but decreasing income for a period of time, at least 6 months and perhaps several years. Then they can flip the model and try to extract revenue from the whales and finally the nickel and dime F2P market.

Sure, there's a few outliers such as GW2 or EQN but those titles are somewhat cripplewear because of this and lacking in features commonly expected of AAA MMOs, (such as including meaningful character progression) and I realize its all conjecture with EQN, but then again, when was the last time SOE did anything right in the MMO space?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Chrisbox

P2P is the model to go with, no doubt.  But it has to justify it with replay value that your paying for.  ESO will need to whip something out of no where, because as of now people have no clue what they're paying for.  There is no end game tier content, the best gear is gotten through crafting. So whatever replay value people are paying for is still unknown, and if it stays unknown this game will not last long P2P.  

I hate P2P models. Unless a game offers something extremely good and different, I don't feel it's worth it. As it stands, a subscription to console would be about $60 per year. Chances are the game itself will cost at least $50. That equals $110. Then add on the sub fee of $180 with out discount that is $290, just to play the game one year for console players.

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by Chrisbox 
    There is no end game tier content, the best gear is gotten through crafting. So whatever replay value people are paying for is still unknown, and if it stays unknown this game will not last long P2P.  

The best gear coming from crafting does not necessarily mean there is no end game content.