Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does hardcore mean to you?

13»

Comments

• DracockDracock Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by arbacus
    Originally posted by Dracock

The definition of "hardcore" depends on context. It basically comes down to three different broad concepts. Ill explain how each of those concepts relate to gaming:

1. Intensity, severity, relentless ect. Related to gaming difficulty or risk.
    2. Dedicated, Confirmed, Die-Hard ect. Referencing playtime or hours put in more than anything else
    3. Fundamental, Pure, "to the core." This is probably the least common usage in gaming. Something like "Hardcore EQ fan" makes the most sense.
    Its all kind of subjective. I find that playtime is the most controversial. Some people consider "hardcore" to be 12+ hours a day (84 hours a week), and some consider it to be anything past 20 hours a week. In my mind, "hardcore" = part time job (or no job), with the rest of the persons day to day life spent on games.

Saying someone is hardcore because they spend a ton of time in a game is simply false.

But the correct use of hardcore in terms of time would be "Soandso spends 20 hours playing a game, that's hardcore!" Soandso does not have to be a hardcore gamer but the time he devotes to a game is hardcore he could be a casual player and devote 20 hours a day to a game.

Hardcore/Casual is more about the attitude one takes to a game at large not just one aspect like time spent you have to identify time spent specifically for it to mean time spent but when you talk about a Hardcore/Casual player themselves when not refering to their playtime specifically it is about the attitude, effort, dedication and efficency of the player.

Basically it is possible to be a hardcore player on a casual time schedule, as well as a Casual player on a Hardcore time schedule.

Go explain to webster that their second definition is "simply false"

• arbacusarbacus Member UncommonPosts: 41
    I don't think Webster is a authority on gaming slang.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

I see anyone who plays an MMO (or any recreational activity really) more than 20-30 hours a week as hardcore. How you spend that time in game is irrelevant.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415
    To me hardcore just means someone who likes their game to have a challenging level of difficulty, nothing more.   Which pretty much means there are no hardcore MMOs anymore.
  • cowboyonicowboyoni Member Posts: 36

Well seems it's an opinion thing but I still think a hardcore game has nothing to do with how much time you put in a game. To me it is related to the how deep the complexity of the game goes. I'll say again in this definition the board game chess (or 'Go', or 'Shogi') is on one end of the spectrum and the game tic-tac-toe is on the other. IMO a game that is truly hardcore has to have savants or naturally gifted players. People who see a level of complexity to the game that others can't, no matter how long they play.

By that definition there may not be video games that hit the mark but I think at least a few get close to it. Anyways that's just my opinion.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Just a game that makes me try in any respect at this point.
  • arbacusarbacus Member UncommonPosts: 41

Player who applies to a hardcore guild thinking time spent is all that is needed=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofV_iFBw2YE

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

hard core is something that requires a lot of time, patience, practice, and determination to achieve.

a task that requires reseach, atunment, the best equipment/consumables available, great group coordination, in depth knowlege of game mechanics and great skill with your role in the group, hours of focus and concentration, and dozens of flawless repetitions before success is achieved ......THAT is hardcore.

if anyone can do it it's not hardcore. when only about 10-20 % of players can do it, THAT's hard core. The rest is just wanna be.

• DracockDracock Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by cowboyoni

Well seems it's an opinion thing but I still think a hardcore game has nothing to do with how much time you put in a game. To me it is related to the how deep the complexity of the game goes. I'll say again in this definition the board game chess (or 'Go', or 'Shogi') is on one end of the spectrum and the game tic-tac-toe is on the other. IMO a game that is truly hardcore has to have savants or naturally gifted players. People who see a level of complexity to the game that others can't, no matter how long they play.

By that definition there may not be video games that hit the mark but I think at least a few get close to it. Anyways that's just my opinion.

Here are the facts. That word has multiple meanings. Many of those definitions apply to gaming. Gamers use the word in multiple ways depending on context.

If I say "I play hardcore" in Diablo 3, it means I play "hardcore" mode that is characterized by perma death. Playtime is irrelevant.

If I say "Jim is a hardcore gamer, because he games 12 hours a day," this is also a fine use of the word. No one is going to ask me "wait, what did he accomplish in those games?" To qualify the term.

Then there are guys that don't have a lot of play time, but spend all their game time trying to accomplish as much as possible. They set in game goals like downing difficult raid bosses, and manage to do it despite working full time or comparable responsibilities IRL. These guys are still considered "hardcore," nerds, ect., by some people.

I'm not really big on the last definition (despite that I acknowledge that people use the term this way). This is because the crowd I game with, it is a given that you will try to accomplish goals and progress your character when you play. The primary dividing factor is how much time people are able or willing to devote to the game.

Sometimes I take vacation or leave off work when a game I'm anticipating is coming out. So I can "go hardcore" for 3-4 weeks and play a lot (usually anywhere from 8-16 hours a day). Then I go more "casual" (but not very casual) so that I can keep up with raid attendance, not having time for much else.

The reason I call WoW "casual-friendly," is because you can accomplish just about everything in the game without much play time. Even the world first guild do not play that much after the content is on farm mode. In fact, sometimes they only log in 6 hours a week, skipping weeks here and there. Then they go back to playing all day once a content patch is out.

• cowboyonicowboyoni Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Dracock
    Originally posted by cowboyoni

Here are the facts. That word has multiple meanings. Many of those definitions apply to gaming. Gamers use the word in multiple ways depending on context.

If I say "I play hardcore" in Diablo 3, it means I play "hardcore" mode that is characterized by perma death. Playtime is irrelevant.

If I say "Jim is a hardcore gamer, because he games 12 hours a day," this is also a fine use of the word. No one is going to ask me "wait, what did he accomplish in those games?" To qualify the term.

Then there are guys that don't have a lot of play time, but spend all their game time trying to accomplish as much as possible. They set in game goals like downing difficult raid bosses, and manage to do it despite working full time or comparable responsibilities IRL. These guys are still considered "hardcore," nerds, ect., by some people.

I'm not really big on the last definition (despite that I acknowledge that people use the term this way). This is because the crowd I game with, it is a given that you will try to accomplish goals and progress your character when you play. The primary dividing factor is how much time people are able or willing to devote to the game.

Sometimes I take vacation or leave off work when a game I'm anticipating is coming out. So I can "go hardcore" for 3-4 weeks and play a lot (usually anywhere from 8-16 hours a day). Then I go more "casual" (but not very casual) so that I can keep up with raid attendance, not having time for much else.

The reason I call WoW "casual-friendly," is because you can accomplish just about everything in the game without much play time. Even the world first guild do not play that much after the content is on farm mode. In fact, sometimes they only log in 6 hours a week, skipping weeks here and there. Then they go back to playing all day once a content patch is out.

Hmm you sound like the guy from dragnet "just the facts mam" :P

• Originally posted by Rorrin

01) xp loss on death

02) average 12 months to reach max level

03) no mini-map

04) no map period

05) advancement only via group reliance

06) spawn camping for rarest items

07) no quest markers or quest log

08) 40+ person raids

09) open world conflict, either through pvp or mob tagging, kill stealing

10) requires 8+ hour gaming sessions to progress

11) requires min-maxing to shine and really stand out above your peers

12) possibility of losing corpse on death, corpse dragging

13) dungeons you can get lost in

14) no sparkly trail showing you where to run to next

15) guild membership mandatory to succeed

16) class and role reliance to succeed

17) minimal, and meaningful, fast travel - fast travel is a privilege, not a right mentality

18) non-instanced dungeons

19) willing to gear up others before yourself to progress

20) mobs that can 2-shot you are in every zone

This, you really nailed it for me.

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

Ah come on, everyone knows that.

Hardcore is when you are preparing a tasty stew, and everything smells fantastic, the meat is just right, soft and tasty and the vegetables are tender and juicy, and as you are teasing your better half about how you will soon beat them at cooking, instead of playing along, they answer with a soft grunt as they seem to try to chew something.

You roll your eyes at the poor humor of your partner, you pick one of those deliciously looking potatoes, you bite in and....

Damn! the bitch is raw! It did not cook properly!  it´s got a hard core!

I hate when it happens.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    It means nothing to me *shrugs*

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205
    A term that is not associated with EQNext.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Jagarid
    To me hardcore just means someone who likes their game to have a challenging level of difficulty, nothing more. Which pretty much means there are no hardcore MMOs anymore.

Concise and accurate. Perfect.

Originally posted by Larvae
    Originally posted by Rorrin 01) xp loss on death 02) average 12 months to reach max level 03) no mini-map 04) no map period 05) advancement only via group reliance 06) spawn camping for rarest items 07) no quest markers or quest log 08) 40+ person raids 09) open world conflict, either through pvp or mob tagging, kill stealing 10) requires 8+ hour gaming sessions to progress 11) requires min-maxing to shine and really stand out above your peers 12) possibility of losing corpse on death, corpse dragging 13) dungeons you can get lost in 14) no sparkly trail showing you where to run to next 15) guild membership mandatory to succeed 16) class and role reliance to succeed 17) minimal, and meaningful, fast travel - fast travel is a privilege, not a right mentality 18) non-instanced dungeons 19) willing to gear up others before yourself to progress 20) mobs that can 2-shot you are in every zone
    This, you really nailed it for me.

I'd like to play that game!!

Originally posted by Vocadi
    A term that is not associated with EQNext.

+1

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit