Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest Next = Metallica's Black Album

Comments

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by coretex666

I really thought EQN will bring back some oldschool hardcore MMO experience based on various pre-release tweets of the developers.

Now I think I was naive as the game looks rather casual.

In my opinion, they did choose the right direction with the features like voxel based world allowing ultimate constructability / destructibility of anything in the game, rally calls granting a dynamic world, advanced AI making the overall experience more interesting, etc. I think that these features do have potential to make this game the best we have ever played.

However, it seems to me that they are wrapping these amazing features into a casual arcade console-friendly MMOG package.

I was hoping some AAA MMO will get inspired by Minecraft which is an amazing piece of work in my eyes. However, turning Minecraft into WoW 2 was not really what I was hoping for.

On the other hand, it is understandable from the business point of view. The game development already generated huge costs, so that they need large audience that will grant them sufficient revenues for the product to be profitable. Minecraft developer did not have to deal with this vicious circle.

I will try the game for sure as it still seems to be quite interesting.

To each their own but for me, the reason i will NOT be playing EQN is because that i dont want to be one of their stats they use to go to their board or trusties and say " Hey look! We have all these accounts so the direction we choose to take EQN in was the right decission after all!"

The another MMO will do what EQN did and well have this never ending parade of EQN clones.

The only thing we as MMOers can do is to boycot the game completely by NOT making accounts and playing this game.

• czombieczombie Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

The only thing we as MMOers can do is to boycot the game completely by NOT making accounts and playing this game.

I guess I'll just have to play twice as much to make up for you not playing.

Originally posted by DMKano

I really thought EQN will bring back some oldschool hardcore MMO experience based on various pre-release tweets of the developers.

In my opinion, they did choose the right direction with the features like voxel based world allowing ultimate constructability / destructibility of anything in the game, rally calls granting a dynamic world, advanced AI making the overall experience more interesting, etc. I think that these features do have potential to make this game the best we have ever played.

However, it seems to me that they are wrapping these amazing features into a casual arcade console-friendly MMOG package.

I was hoping some AAA MMO will get inspired by Minecraft which is an amazing piece of work in my eyes. However, turning Minecraft into WoW 2 was not really what I was hoping for.

On the other hand, it is understandable from the business point of view. The game development already generated huge costs, so that they need large audience that will grant them sufficient revenues for the product to be profitable. Minecraft developer did not have to deal with this vicious circle.

To each their own but for me, the reason i will NOT be playing EQN is because that i dont want to be one of their stats they use to go to their board or trusties and say " Hey look! We have all these accounts so the direction we choose to take EQN in was the right decission after all!"

The another MMO will do what EQN did and well have this never ending parade of EQN clones.

F2P game metrics are not about how many players create accounts and play - they don't care, its about how many players PAY for cash shop stuff.

So no need to boycott just don't spend any cash.

Not taking any chances. Iv seen enough of EQN to know its not the game for me and i wont add myself to the their list of accounts.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Galadourn
    For God's sake, stop with all the nostalgia. I too have very fond memories of the early days in vanilla WoW, but I'm not suggesting new games should try to follow that path. It's time to move on.

True true.... but so far I believe MMOs are moving in the wrong direction. 

I'd say they are either not moving at all or not moving far enough.

• kellian1kellian1 Member UncommonPosts: 237

I don't understand this analogy at all. So you want 40-50 year old men to release albums with the same anger ridden metal music they did in their 20's? Maiden doesn't even do that anymore and it just doesn't make any sense for them too.

That would be not pushing the envelope anymore...just coming up with the same stuff you have already done in the past and changing very little if anything. Then again you said you're a fan of Paradox and the Europa games which change very little and are now on Europa IV (right?).

As far as EQnext goes, yeah I've said I would have loved a remake of EQ1 re-magined with modern graphics, story and tech. But I'm willing to give this a chance if it at least has some challenge and isn't totally dumbed down. I'm not concerned with the 8 skills because TBH, once you had a good rotation down you didn't use much more than that anyway in EQ1 or EQ2 except for very special occasions.

*Note - Metallica really got bad with that whole Whiskey in the Jar cover song and the cover album Garage Inc. The Black Album is really good unless all you ever want Metallica to do is release albums like Ride the Lightning and Kill em' all.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

Waiting for this MMO

I understand what you mean, but think realistically. How many people do you think will not make an account in order to send such message.

Also the game will be F2P, so the number of accounts is not so significant on itself. The information important for the BoD will be related to revenues generated. As long as you do not spend money in cash shop, you do not represent much value for them.

I think that the process of transformation of MMORPGs into new breed of MMO arcade games is irreversible at this point anyway. You can look forward to Wildstar, TESO, EQN, Final Fantasy, and similar games.

I think there is still a chance that some nice MMORPG is gonna be made by some Asian company...maybe Black Desert? ArcheAge?

But ill still have to spend 59.99 to buy the game. $OE will not get one red cent from me.

There are other games im looking forward to. AA, BD, Bless just to name a few but then again, i was looking forward to EQN and you see how that turned out lol. I have no interest in Wildstar, TESO maybe FF but not so much. Its not looking good for me when it comes to MMOs. Looks like ill have to find another hobby.

Originally posted by Saxx0n

Waiting for this MMO

it sure won't be EQN lol.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Originally posted by Iadien
    Originally posted by donpopuki
    Folks assume EQN is going to be kiddie game based on two factors. One the art style and two the 8 button UI. At best this a correlation not a direct cause.

EQ was a total kiddie game, only 8 spells at a time, easy mode!

Yes easy mode, needing to know which skills/spells go good with what; which combinations are effective against what enemies; having access to only a percentage of your arsenal instead of your entire arsenal, requiring you to plan your fights ahead and do your best to adapt when a set of spells isn't working in your favor.

The definition of easy mode

I was being sarcastic, calm your tits.

• ShazPurShazPur Member UncommonPosts: 47

I totally agree with the OP. To my own surprise I find myself looking forwards to EQ Next because it seems like it have a chance to be a lot of the things I hated EQ and a lot of the other early MMORPGs for not being. Dynamic, changing, nonrepetitive and hopefully surprising and even unpredictable. As many others have pointed out though we are extrapolating wildly from limited information, and we can't really know for certain, but its the first MMO I have ever signed up for Beta with.

I can certainly understand if people hoping to recrate their experiences from the earlier EQ versions are worried though.

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by Xerathule
    What i'm getting from what I have seen so far is that Everquest Next is going to be ditching a lot of their old loyal fans on this new release in favor of the new crowd.   So for the people that played EQ1 and EQ2 that are looking for the next Everquest, they might be in for a surprise when they see that it isn't going to be hardcore like it was in EQ1.  

Everquest Next = Metallica's Black Album

I'm sorry but the Black Album was not when Metallica started loosing their fans. That would be "Load" (of crap).

Either way you are right, EQ1 fan that I am lost all interest in Next not when I heard about the engine (nice!) and the buildable world (awesome!) but the fact that you could change classes like a magic item, no levels(wtf?), ditched standard play model of tank/heal/dps roles (uh?), "action" combat (what is this, Call of Duty?), lore smore we'll re-write it! (why?) and basically a platform of "give the player whatever they want" mentality.

Might appeal to some folks but not me and almost everyone of the people I've gamed with since EQ1. I'm not looking for another WoW game like some might suggest (we have that with EQ2) but a more modern game engine, solid lore and game mechanics that improve upon EQ1 that are not a complete divergence of EQ.

Change for the sake of change is rarely beneficial. Giving players everything they think they "want" has yet to work out either.

• czombieczombie Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Celestian

Change for the sake of change is rarely beneficial. Giving players everything they think they "want" has yet to work out either.

But giving players what you want does work?  There is just so much arrogance on this message board about how what some old-school MMO players think is good is what every future MMO player should also think is good.  As I've said before, most of those old-school MMO games still exist.  Go back and play them if you want developers to start making newer games that are like them.  Or better yet, try starting a company yourself and make your own game.  The MMO that has the most players right now is still WoW, and as long as that is still true, every new AAA game that comes out will have something of WoW in it.

The last I've read, even on this stodgy conservative MMO board there are more people looking forward to EQN than who have already given up on it.  I'm personally looking forward to it more and more every day and no amount of whiny past-their-prime MMO players going off on the game is going to change my mind about this.

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by czombie

Originally posted by Celestian Change for the sake of change is rarely beneficial. Giving players everything they think they "want" has yet to work out either.
    But giving players what you want does work?

You'll note I never said what I "wanted".

• swedagoswedago Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by Gravarg

The problem is that the majority of people on this site probably don't know what Metallica's Black Album is hehe.

And I have to agree.  So far from what I've seen, it has nothing to do with Everquest.  It might have the same names for races and landmarks or something, but it doesn't look to be anything like Everquest.

Edit: Kill 'em All is still and always will be their best album :)

Most here do not know what KISS Originals album is either...  Remember that the MMO genre started in 1999 of mostly 30ish+ people.  Most of us still play (14 years later) Most teens were still playing SEGA  at the time.  So Metallica was a newbie band for some of us =P

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Holy Diver.

Done with thread.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

This is quite funny because the black album is the top seller of Metallica's discography...

But hey... forum arguing, "nothing else matters" ;-)

It's a bit like saying that "Stairway to Heaven" was bad for "Led Zeppelin" just because it is popular.

LOL your Zepp analogy is off. Stairway to Heaven is part of the soul that IS Led Zeppelin.

Black for Metallica was them selling their soul for a broader audience. See the difference and the connection to EQN and $OE?

[mod edit]

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

Sad thing about the whole black album thing is I still think of it as "Their new stuff", then I realize it came out 22 years ago and I feel old.

Originally posted by Rusque

Holy Diver.

Done with thread.

LOL we could end this thread with this right here i agree =)

Originally posted by Justsomenoob

Sad thing about the whole black album thing is I still think of it as "Their new stuff", then I realize it came out 22 years ago and I feel old.

Does that mean the the black album was "stylized"? LOL

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by Xerathule

What i'm getting from what I have seen so far is that Everquest Next is going to be ditching a lot of their old loyal fans on this new release in favor of the new crowd.   So for the people that played EQ1 and EQ2 that are looking for the next Everquest, they might be in for a surprise when they see that it isn't going to be hardcore like it was in EQ1.  

I wonder about the depth of the game and the interface that has yet to be revealed because that is very important!  I would love to see the depth of EQ1 in the next game and I have a feeling it isn't going to be.  This game is going to be for a console/PC crowd.  That is real important to see here, because you know want to grab as much of that market as they can too.  

This is all why I am a devoted Paradox Interactive fan!  Europe Universalis IV and Rome 2: Total War will do fine for me.  You won't see Strategy games go the way of the console (at least the good ones) you know that! :)  I think what we are seeing is a transformation of Games to the Console and it is going to try to take the MMO players with it!  This is what is really going on behind all of the sales!

Getting bored of ppl telling me that EQN isn't going to be for me, thats it's too dumbed down for me, that it's graphics are too cartoony for me, that is just isn't hardcore enough for me, etc etc etc.

Please do those of us who have at least half a brain a favour, let us make up our own mind if this game is going to be for us.

I can totaly understand that your not feeling it, that you basically wanted more EQ1, well guess what they just announced the 20th expansion for EQ1, it's still going strong and it's still out there, aren't you playing it?

• ckeeton999ckeeton999 Member CommonPosts: 53
    Oh for god sakes people you have no idea what you're talking about. The game is years away from being out.
  • ZydariZydari Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Originally posted by Alders

The Black album ruined American metal for years and pushed progress over to Sweden for a while.

Is Bob Rock involved?

I liked the album. Enter Sandman and Through the Never were great songs. Now if you had said Load or Reload I could have gotten on board.

I do agree about Kill Em' All being the best...Love that album.

Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor.

Thomas Jefferson

This is quite funny because the black album is the top seller of Metallica's discography...

It's a bit like saying that "Stairway to Heaven" was bad for "Led Zeppelin" just because it is popular.

LOL your Zepp analogy is off. Stairway to Heaven is part of the soul that IS Led Zeppelin.

Black for Metallica was them selling their soul for a broader audience. See the difference and the connection to EQN and $OE?

No you wouldn't see it because you're on team EQN.

You're actually making my point without even trying...

No you're comparing the popularity to Zepps Stairway to Metallica's success with Black. Not the same as i pointed out. Unless your only point was that $OE sold out just like Metallica did then yes, i proved your point.

Keep Zepp out of this conversation.

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119

The Black album, while slightly simpler & less 'hardcore' than their earlier stuff, was still a very good album. Metallica didn't start to truly suck until Load, and the absolute maximum suckage (I know it's not a word, but it should be) came along with St. Anger, after which I basically started ignoring them entirely, along with the vast majority of American 'metal' bands. 

The whole Napster thing & the fact that Lars is an annoying little bald fucker with an ego the size of an aircraft carrier (despite being a mediocre drummer at best) doesn't help my view of them either.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger Member UncommonPosts: 280

No you wouldn't see it because you're on team EQN.

You're actually making my point without even trying...

No you're comparing the popularity to Zepps Stairway to Metallica's success with Black. Not the same as i pointed out. Unless your only point was that $OE sold out just like Metallica did then yes, i proved your point.

Keep Zepp out of this conversation.

Fans thinking that a band sold out is a matter of opinion, you can can't really prove it. EverQuest's IP is dead in the water and SOE is trying too remake it to be competitive with Blizzard where the market is mostly filled with people who play or have played WoW. Call them sell outs all you want but doing the same thing will not help SOE be successful in today's market where calling a game a mmo has become a bad stigma because of the Titanic(aka SWTOR) sinking below the murky waters of failure.