Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Poll) The "parkour" movement

Comments

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    Such control automation makes me think that it's really a cross platform mechanic to help with play on tablets, consoles, laptops, and other varied devices. Games need to be more accessible to a variety of players actually playing through a variety of means and on some form of equal footing while doing so. The desktop PC has and even the console is losing their place as the primary means of playing and the other platform options are not so versatile or dedicated which leads to a lot of people complaining about the simplification or dumbing down of the genre just as much as considerations for a more casual player base do. Good, bad, and indifferent it is what it is and I am not sure I care what they come up with to account for the issues as long as its fun to play.

Yeah, I think you're right. But I really don't care for it since I like to have options and "do it myself". Otherwise it doesn't feel like you are doing actions, you're just holding a button down and letting the game do it for you.

I also wonder how many times players are going to climb walls half way in city areas before they realize they went too far.

The sliding thing is no issue really, although it would be cooler if you could control that too, maybe by how fast you're going. But to automatically climb a head high wall seems too far. Maybe that's not what Dave meant. He might have meant for normal short jumps on the move, like the hand planted leap.

I just don't want to feel like I'm not doing the actions when it's a slightly more difficult task than running over small obstacles.

As far as the animations, they do have lots of time to work on those yet. I'd hope they have more polishing on the agenda.

Once upon a time....

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    So long as it controls good, I think its a good thing. Makes things feel more smooth in terms of gameplay. The only reason I would NOT be in support of it would be if they did it wrong and its in the way more then helping streamlining things. 
  • JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430
    i'm not controlling each leg separately in any successful game i played, so i don't worry much about EQN parkour model. that said, i hope it won't be restrictive to player intentions: i want to jump, dodge, backup when i want to.
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    So long as it controls good, I think its a good thing. Makes things feel more smooth in terms of gameplay. The only reason I would NOT be in support of it would be if they did it wrong and its in the way more then helping streamlining things. 

Ok, but the first time you end up sticking your head above the crowd with an automated movement and a Dragon takes it off, I don't want to hear about it. image

Once upon a time....

• BacchiraBacchira Member Posts: 50

For years I have been wondering why MMO developers are happy with just basic movement, you know, just enough to get the job done.

Games are a lot about the player feeling good about themselves, looking at their avatar and thinking "My God, I'm awsome!"

The ability to move around the world with agile movement can give you just that feeling (I remember Sands of Time on my PS2 a decade ago, really felt awsome just to move around). I really welcome that developers now seem to recognize this and start to place greater importance on how your character is able to move (Black Desert also lists Parkour as a game element).

I would however, just like the OP, rather be in control of at least some of the movement. It doesn't have to be some overly complicated keyboard strokes, just hit spacebar when close to a ledge to grab it, or when jumping up against a wall, press space and W to take a few steps up the wall, space without W to push yourself from the wall etc.

I also find it important that it is not over done. No double flips with spins whenever you jump over the smallest pebble, that would feel lame fast.

I don't mind that some of the movements are automatic though, like sliding down a slope, that's OK in my book.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    If it flows im happy, I have always been annoyed every time my character does a stupid Olympic High jump over a 2 foot wall. that being said a activate button would be very nice. like hold shift so if i need to position behind something i can.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

My 2 cents..

I like to keep things simple, the more you tweak movement, the more that can go wrong..  It should just be kept with a space bar jump movement and leave it at that..  If it isn't broken, then don't fix it..  The auto slide down a hill is ok.. GW2 has that and if you slide too far.. BOOM = dead..  However, the double jump is just really stupid..  That reminds me of some Harry Potter game stunt.. LOL 

• cowboyonicowboyoni Member Posts: 36

I'm all for this. Frankly character movement mechanics in mmos are years behind other genres like action games such as devil may cry or platformers like ratchet and clank. I don't expect the movement to be as tight and fluid as say assassins creed and that is understandable. There are so many aspects to developing an mmo that a dev team can't put as much time and effort into developing one aspect of the game like a dev can on a single player action game.

As for double jump.... uh sure why not. I have played many games with this feature and it worked fine. When I double jumped in games like DMC I did't go "OMG I just realized I'm playing a video game and I'm completely taken out of the immersion!"

But as with everything else about this game, it really just depends on how well they execute the idea.  I think any of the ideas surrounding EQN could potentially be great and fun. They could also be terrible and broken. All just depends on how well they execute the idea and on that only time will tell. 

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    This system will make it a ton easier to run bot programs. Go to work and come back and be stuck derping out on a rock! Uggh .  Now no fear of that and that is just dreamy!
  • donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    Mmos have been kinda floaty. I'm glad they are making the movement feel more in tune with environment. It makes the game feel more real and gives a sense of spatial awareness.
  • LaiquendiLaiquendi Member Posts: 73
    I hope they give the option to turn it off, so you can control it.  And if you don't want to any more, or change your mind, you can turn it back on.    That really makes the most sense.

• OfficialFlowOfficialFlow Member Posts: 111
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak
    Originally posted by SelfDestructPro
    I like the parkour system, but they better make it fluid because in the demo, it wasn't looking all the great.

I got the feeling in the demo that some were really well done and others not so much...could be just like at release or they could fine tune the lackluster ones. I believe...the side jump over the short log was one of the weaker ones...I actually liked the sliding down the slope face one, as generally in any mmo I have ever played I have found myself trying to fall quickly down a slope face but not so far that I die...

SPEAK  OF, did anyone notice the huge distance they fell during the demo into one of the lower layers? I am assuming they either

a) Don't have fall damage, or have it greatly reduced from what many MMO's use.

b) had it turned off for the demo.

blops.... how i saw it, they did the "fade to black" thing when they fell down the hole ("hidden loading screen") and when they enter the layer they fade back out from the black ..so to speak. so it is very possible that there is fall damage but not in the transfering sequences

something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InfiacDig_U

• cowboyonicowboyoni Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Laiquendi
    I hope they give the option to turn it off, so you can control it.  And if you don't want to any more, or change your mind, you can turn it back on.    That really makes the most sense.

I'm just guessing but I imagine the way to control it will be like most games with similar movement. If you run at a box you vault over it but if you just walk up to it you won't.  Kinda like assassins creed or metal gear solid revengence (had fun with that game but the non-word revengence is stupid :)

I really don't know why anyone would prefer to run into a box and have their character do that video-gamey thing where the character just runs against the box like they were on a treadmill.  

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    I don't have a problem with the system itself, just wasn't too impressed with the animation. Work in progress, I guess. Could do without the double jump though, that seemed very out of place.
    Originally posted by Bacchira

For years I have been wondering why MMO developers are happy with just basic movement, you know, just enough to get the job done.

Games are a lot about the player feeling good about themselves, looking at their avatar and thinking "My God, I'm awsome!"

The ability to move around the world with agile movement can give you just that feeling (I remember Sands of Time on my PS2 a decade ago, really felt awsome just to move around). I really welcome that developers now seem to recognize this and start to place greater importance on how your character is able to move (Black Desert also lists Parkour as a game element).

I would however, just like the OP, rather be in control of at least some of the movement. It doesn't have to be some overly complicated keyboard strokes, just hit spacebar when close to a ledge to grab it, or when jumping up against a wall, press space and W to take a few steps up the wall, space without W to push yourself from the wall etc.

I also find it important that it is not over done. No double flips with spins whenever you jump over the smallest pebble, that would feel lame fast.

I don't mind that some of the movements are automatic though, like sliding down a slope, that's OK in my book.

I look at this stuff as game play. So using keys and timing is what I'm thinking here.

The problem here is the game controller, but just looking at a keyboard you could have something like:

• shift=jump
    • shift+ctrl=grab high (ledge/branch/rope) while jumping up. This could be switched to rope/tree climbing if hanging from a rope.
    Specialized movement circumstances do really add to game play for me.

As far as the slide, it's ok but I think it would be much better if it were physics and gravity causing the slide and the player can use it to advantage or cope with it by standing sideways to stop or running down at an angle or whatever.
    Just sayin'. Gameplay actions.

Once upon a time....

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I would prefer a system like Sleeping Dogs where it's about timing not button mashing or automatically doing it flawlessly.

But what was shown is better than the current MMORPG movement you can worry about exploring instead of being caught up or stuck in geometry flaws or being stuck behind a 1 foot wall that for some reason can't be jumped over.

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Just another sad example of making gaming easier and less mind taxing. Really, is it that hard for you to maneuver around objects by controls? These will be the same people who come to the forums complaining that the game is too "DUMBED DOWN" for them. No..it is probably not "DUMBED DOWN" enough for you.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Amaranthar
    Originally posted by Bacchira

I look at this stuff as game play. So using keys and timing is what I'm thinking here.

The problem here is the game controller, but just looking at a keyboard you could have something like:

• shift=jump
    • shift+ctrl=grab high (ledge/branch/rope) while jumping up. This could be switched to rope/tree climbing if hanging from a rope.
    Specialized movement circumstances do really add to game play for me.

As far as the slide, it's ok but I think it would be much better if it were physics and gravity causing the slide and the player can use it to advantage or cope with it by standing sideways to stop or running down at an angle or whatever.
    Just sayin'. Gameplay actions.

My thought is on PVP, and wondering whether it will be helpful or hindrance in terms of automated movement, IE stuck in an animation while you're getting beat on.

Then again I wonder if having to control it myself would be even more annoying while trying to concentrate on fighting.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

If they make it like Infamous, it'll be lame after the first 5 minutes. If they make it like Assassin's Creed, it'll be insanely badass.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by SelfDestructPro
    I like the parkour system, but they better make it fluid because in the demo, it wasn't looking all the great.

Yeah when the wizard vaults over something it looks like they just flipped the figure side ways for two frames and then back.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

First quest hand holding, now movement hand holding?

Pretty soon we will just watch the game play itself while we sit back and cheer it on.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by donpopuki

Reminds me of Zelda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QL94EpLcoY

haha, I thought the exact same thing when I saw that.

• CheookCheook Member Posts: 16
    I want my nightelf to do somersaults when jumping. No somersaults = crap game.
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Well there has to be a robust vertical movement system because of the destructible terrain. It's germane to the environment, otherwise you could easily inadvertently be making impossible jumping puzzles.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I like the feature, I just wish I had control of the actions. It would add a lot of depth to combat (or rather, a higher skillcap).