Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'd like to get lost again

KahnrayKahnray Member UncommonPosts: 12

Hello Friends!

Quite simply put, I'm looking for something new to delve into. My MMO career started about 8 years with WoW (of which I still play today), but I feel like I've lost the RPG component of the MMORPG. Now, don't get me wrong, I still play WoW and enjoy it (mostly because I've been more or less playing with the same group of people since I started), but I'm treating the game more robotically now, rather than getting immersed into the game itself (things like min/maxing, daily to-do tasks, and the game has become more a social gathering with some stuff added on). Now, I totally understand I will never catch that spark of first loading into WoW, but there's no reason I cannot really invest and enjoy something new.

Over the past years, I've tried out a couple different MMOs. I was heavily entrenched in EvE for a number of years, but eventually found myself in the position where nothing was really interesting to me anymore (plus, I'm more of a PvE junkie than PvP, but it was the social aspect of the game that kept me around). Rift was another one that I found myself investing some good time into. The problem was, I played it just like I did WoW, and when I realized I was basically playing two WoWs, I eventually let Rift go. I did give it a shot again after the game went free to play, but it didn't really hold my interest more than a couple levels past 50. Guild Wars 2 was another I spent a couple months playing, but without any real end game (at the time), I quickly got bored and left it. I did try Tera, but lost interest after a matter of hours, same with The Secret World.

So here I am, and I figured no better place to come than here (I've been lurking around for a while now!). I am willing to give anything a fair shot. Subscription, free to play, it does not matter much to me (though I may perfer a subscription or a silly buy-max-level cash shop), and age doesn't matter much either. The only things I ask are fun feeling combat (I don't mind collecting gnoll ears, but I want to have fun smashing the gnolls to bits with a hammer to collect their ears), a strong PvE component (some PvP is OK, but I'd rather co-op with people to do quests, dungeons, etc.), a strong social component (and a good healthy community), and a good long journey to max level (whatever interpretation of "max level" might be).

That said, in the past I made the mistake of trying to play different MMOs like WoW, which never ended up working, and I fear I let some real gems slip through my fingers, but I thought I'd start fresh, and see what all you have been investing your time into, because I would like to do the same.

Thanks!

Comments

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Most MMORPGs on the market are failed WOW clones with endgames that consist of grind tons of X to get trinket Y. That makes it hard to point you toward something you can lose yourself in once more particularly when you have tried the other big name contenders and found them lacking. You seem to like WOW just enough to stick with it even if it has grown bland. So, I am going to recommend you try Star Wars the Old Republic free to play and subscribe if you like it. The game is similar yet different enough to WOW with a more involving combat model that I think you will like it. There is nothing to lose in giving it a try.
  • WheskyWhesky Member Posts: 125

Try Vanguard saga of heroes!

Some downsides are:

- the character graphics are somewhat outdated (but imo, dark elves/high elves look good among with some other races. Plus, it's not "that bad", you get used to it - I think the game looks pretty nice now when I've maxed the graphics). 

- It's F2P, which is mostly a good thing imo, but eventually you will need to sub to use high end items.

- The population is dedicated but small, and there's only one server (ping is not a prob though).

- The game is a huge time sink and can be overwhelming at first!

- Can feel grindy

- The game might also feel a bit clunky at first.

- No pvp :( except dueling

Some good sides:

- Player housing (in the open world!) and player cities

- Huge world

- Pretty deep crafting

- Diplomacy system

- Lots of classes

- The game is a huge time sink and can be overwhelming at first!

- Definitely a game for min/maxers.

- Definitely a game for someone who wants something different and something that requires you to learn new mechanics and game systems.

- Good serious community

Send me a PM if you decide to give it a try :)

I've only just started myself, so obviously it's all new and fresh for me, but I'm hooked so far! 

SWG, Eve, Planetside 2, EQN, Star Citizen

• KahnrayKahnray Member UncommonPosts: 12

Appreciate the replies!

I remember tracking Star Wars before its release, but it may have gotten some bad press or someone tried it and didn't like it, or something like that that had me put a sort of subconscious mental block on it, I'll definitely take a look though.

I hadn't really looked at Vanguard much, but maybe that's good, no predispositions about it.

Thanks again.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

EQ2 might be a game that would appeal to you......They WoWified it a few years ago so it has alot of WoW elements in it yet a different world.....

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

There are just no good choices for you, my friend. Sadly.

I would describe my experience similar to yours.. I love to be immersed in a game world, explore, feel danger, get my ass kicked, kick some ass. Not play these moronic currency grinds where I get my loot from a vendor rather than the clutches of a dead dragon. I've tried them all, like you and there is just nothing for us right now.

Our best bet is to hope that EQNext is an immersive experience similar to classic EQ1. We all know that EQNext is a huge departure from EQ in many important ways... lets hope that despite those ways, they try to craft a wonderful world to explore. Today's MMOs offer you leveling zones with fodder to waste your time as you nudge your experience bars towards full. Fuck that. So shallow.

I went back to playing Skyrim for my 3rd character and installing some awesome new addons (Falskaar is flipping amazing)   that have come out recently. And while it doesnt fulfill my love of Massive and Multiplayer... it offers the RPG experience to a wonderful degree.

• KahnrayKahnray Member UncommonPosts: 12

A long time ago, I tried EQ2 when they had a free trial (this musti've been not long after its release). I had zero MMO experience, and didn't have the slightest clue what I was doing, and ended up dying to a thing near a bridge, it was kind of awful. However, that was so long ago, if the game truly has evolved, I'd be more than willing to give it its due time.

I've played much Elder Scrolls over the years, and enjoyed it very much, my only gripe (and it isn't even a fair gripe, considering the games are very clearly single player), is I have no one to chat with while I'm purging a cave of undead, and that makes me feel lonely, and sad. I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel, but I won't discount the possibility that perhaps my problem may be the MMO part, and not the RPG part, and my multiplayer desires would have to fulfilled elsewhere. However, in the words of the great intellectual, Rambo, "NOTHING IS OVER!!"

• SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152

My friend, my honest advice to you is to do what i'm doing. 

Which is, continue playing WoW while patiently waiting for EQ:N (Everquest: Next), TESO (The Elder Scrolls Online), and of course WildStar.

Those are (in my opinion) our only hope left as far as "getting lost" in a game goes for the next few years.

I've given many games a fair shot, and always end up back in Azeroth.

• WheskyWhesky Member Posts: 125

I hear ya, about playing SP games, but sometimes it's nice.. because an mmo might feel like it requires another sort of dedicated time (could be just me being stressed).

Anyway, before/if you go back to WoW (I've also considered it).. try Vanguard :D There's so much to progress in, and the time it takes to get forward in the game progressing all three (crafting, combat, diplomacy) is making me stressed lol, definitely give it a shot if you want something to bite into.

They don't have instanced dungeons. So you might even meet someone in the dungeon and group uo, who knows :)

SWG, Eve, Planetside 2, EQN, Star Citizen

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by SmellyNanner

Which is, continue playing WoW while patiently waiting for EQ:N (Everquest: Next), TESO (The Elder Scrolls Online), and of course WildStar.

Those are (in my opinion) our only hope left as far as "getting lost" in a game goes for the next few years.

Literally none of those will provide that...

• SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Masterfuzzfuzz
    Originally posted by SmellyNanner

Literally none of those will provide that...

And you've played all three to be able to back up what you just said, right?

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

Kinda late answear, but who cares! Some others might want to hear what I will say here!

I am in the same situation as you are, right now! I am so eager to find something, but my perfect vision of a mmorpg to get immersed in, does not exist! BUT, games that I have played and got immersed in after some hour, are:

- Everquest 2

- Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

- Lord of The Ring Online (Landroval RP for US / Laurelin RP for EU)

I really, really miss that feeling. Being lost in a mystic and beautiful world! Sigh, I might start playing one of the games I mentioned again!

• greymanicgreymanic Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Sorry friend.  You'll never get that feeling back, only nostalgic moments.  I get in wow trail once every year or so just to hang out in some zones and listen to the soundtrack... try new games sometimes.  It can be sad but there's so much else in life to enjoy if you choose to.
  • FenliusFenlius Member Posts: 6

Time has changed. We can not go back to the old ways, otherwise, women would not allow to be in school today. 

LOL that's a bad analogy but you get my point.