Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscription $15 and CREDD $20?

Comments

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Plex price is player controlled, so kinda pointless to try to guess the grind for Wildstar from Eve.

Here is the thing;

1. There has to be things in the game that people will want to buy with real money (that is what they are doing when they buy CREDD).  PVP armor sets maybe?

2. The things for sale have to be high priced enough that it takes effect (grind) for normal people to get. 

3. By having wanted goods at a high gold cost you add grind to the game to keep people playing (and paying)

4. Cheats, bots and exploits are in every game where its worth people's time to find/make them.  Games normally take some amount of time after launch to find and end these cheats.  However it means that some players have gotten lots of gold/shards/gems.  This ill/bot gotten gold wrecks the in game economy.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361

u cant win agains gold sellers that way....they will be always be farming gold and if can sell gold INGAME for 20$? cool

and will sell u gold outside the game for way less too

doble profit for gold sellers

• xray00xray00 Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by DingoBoi
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Nitth  

Originally posted by ipeka Anyone can give me an estimation in EVE , how much effort do i need to give myself to pay for monthly without real money?  I dont have much issue paying monthly but knwoing that i can work for my a free month would be an interesting option.   If i have to give like 80% of my time weekly to earn gold for CREDD then that's a no-no.
      An hour or 2 of missions every day for 30 days.
    [mod edit]

I farmed lvl 4 missions that took about an hour, 2 if i wanted to savage the wrecks every day for 30 days to buy a plex for 350,000,000 isk from jita.

Are you calling me a liar?

edit: (i might of been on lvl 3 missions at the time, and for full disclosure the price of plex recently is about 500,000,000isk. Scale accordingly.)

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Credd is a service that you may or may not participate in. That service basically costs what the devs believe it should. It is not a cash grab in any way. If you do not feel that the fee they charge is worth the service then you do not need to use it. If you feel it is fair then you use it. That is called an free, open market. If no one uses it then the devs will adjust the fee until their customer base finds it acceptable. People are so willing to call anything a dev does they disagree with a cash grab. It is pathetic.

As for your argument on the sub-rate the $15.00 a month is perfectly fair, is affordable for the vast majority of player - not just the rich as you seemed to be claiming, and it should not be lower. First, if you knew anything about economics (which it is patently obvious you do not) then you would understand the lowering the monthly fee, as another poster said, would actually devalue the product in the eyes of the consumer. Much as there is a point at which a company can charge too much (it is not worth it) there is also a point at which a company can charge too little (if it is that cheap is must be pretty crappy). You can and will lose sales when you do not charge enough money for a service or item.

Not that any of this really matters. Given that you just want to scream 'cash grab' it is obvious you don't really want to hold a mature, adult conversation about the subject.

• krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106

The concept is actually Sound and helpful and protective of the game economy to be established .  

For folks who complain about a game having subscriptions of $15 monthly consider this..... 2 McDonalds combo meals, or 8 to 10 drinks from a quicky mart, one pizza ordered for delivery, all cost about the same and thats not much to play a game for an entire month considering the amount of entertainment it provides. Lowered sub prices to say 10 or 8 or even 5 bucks a month imho is a bad thing. If you get your game going subs then charge enough for players to enjoy the game via subs with new content often.  Too many game companies today are after the "quick buck" and not long term game play revenues. This will change , in time.... but till then, most game companies seem to be looking for initial return to cover costs and enough extra initial to cover adding new content with only the hope of enough subs and or cash store options to support them. Being this is all about Business and Making money, not about making the best games , I don't expect this trend to end anytime soon.

PS: If paying for your entertainment, even at just $15 a month, is too much for you, I suggest finding something else to do with your time. Playing MMO's isn't for you. Its not free, you aren't "Entitled " to it. Its Entertainment! You'll be hard pressed to find any other source of this much volume of entertainment for an entire month for even 10X as much $$$ !

I hope you find something that makes you happier then complaining about game subscription costs in these forums!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Skuall

u cant win agains gold sellers that way....they will be always be farming gold and if can sell gold INGAME for 20$? cool

and will sell u gold outside the game for way less too

doble profit for gold sellers

Can you share which game or what data you're basing that on? 

From what I've seen with PLEX, it drove down the number of ISK sellers and priced several out of existence. But even when some may be cheaper, given the options of lower price but possibly sketchy seller and slightly higher price but secure transaction, it seems most people would choose the latter.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Putting aside that it's the biggest double dip yet. B2P price tag on box, full triple A sub and RMT. I pay a sub to get away from RMT.

This system works for EVE, but that doesn't mean it will work across the board for anyone else. EVE is a separate beast. PLEX is successful in EVE because the economy was already established when RMT was introduced so real money didn't establish the value of ISK from the beginning. And also because of the desire in EVE for multiple accounts, there is a legit reason to buy time in the game. I fear in WS, it will just destroy the economy

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Putting aside that it's the biggest double dip yet.

CREDD is a month of game time. Other than those planning to play the market, the only reason for a player to buy CREDD from another is to spend it on a month of Wildstar.

Can you explain why you feel this is "double dipping"? Better yet, can you explain what you think that phrase means?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

CREDD is a month of game time. Other than those planning to play the market, the only reason for a player to buy CREDD from another is to spend it on a month of Wildstar.

Can you explain why you feel this is "double dipping"? Better yet, can you explain what you think that phrase means?

If by the context you can't figure it out then all you want to do is deter me from my argument. I've no intention to get hung up on semantics.

What I am saying is.....

Box+Sub+RMT=BAD

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

[mod edit]

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

If by the context you can't figure it out then all you want to do is deter me from my argument. I've no intention to get hung up on semantics.

What I am saying is.....

Box+Sub+RMT=BAD

So they will have a cash shop or item mall in the game?  You say they're "double dipping" which means what? they are taking money twice?

If there's a cash shop, I can see how one might think that (although I don't agree with it) but if you are referring to CREDD, that simply doesn't make any sense as the only thing being bought, and eventually consumed, is a month of game time. 

What I am saying is.....

Box+Sub+RMT=BAD

So they will have a cash shop or item mall in the game?  You say they're "double dipping" which means what? they are taking money twice?

If there's a cash shop, I can see how one might think that (although I don't agree with it) but if you are referring to CREDD, that simply doesn't make any sense as the only thing being bought, and eventually consumed, is a month of game time. 

Quoted from the article on the revel:

CREDD stands for Certificate of Research, Exploration, Destruction and Development (cleverly “WildStarified” by the Carbine team).  Basically, players can buy this month-long unit of game time from the WildStarOnline.com website itself, and then turn around and sell it in-game on the Commodities Exchange.

I can buy CREDD and sell it for game currency. So, while this isn't a true cash shop because you can't by any frilly cosmetics, I can still buy anything that game currency buys. So how is this different than having a cash shop?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

This system works for EVE, but that doesn't mean it will work across the board for anyone else.

EVE is a separate beast.

PLEX is successful in EVE because the economy was already established when RMT was introduced so real money didn't establish the value of ISK from the beginning. And also because of the desire in EVE for multiple accounts, there is a legit reason to buy time in the game. I fear in WS, it will just destroy the economy

fair enough comment

I know its working for SOE too w EQ2 and Krono

but I agree, will have to see on a game by game basis

• 9ineven9ineven Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by Thane

yea, why do they go for 15$ .......

because that's the price they all go for?

Why do they all go for the same price ?

Ah nvm I know the answer.

Originally posted by Nadia

This system works for EVE, but that doesn't mean it will work across the board for anyone else.

EVE is a separate beast.

PLEX is successful in EVE because the economy was already established when RMT was introduced so real money didn't establish the value of ISK from the beginning. And also because of the desire in EVE for multiple accounts, there is a legit reason to buy time in the game. I fear in WS, it will just destroy the economy

fair enough comment

I haven't played an SoE game since they did away with their subscription models, but isn't it fair to say that SoE isn't exactly using this same model? Meaning of all the fees (Box/Sub/RMT) they are only using no more than 2?

I can go for a game that has no boxed fee but has RMT and an optional SUB to unlock content. (SoE)

I can go for a game that has a box and a sub but no RMT (FF14)

I can go for a game that has a Box and RMT but no sub (GW2)

I draw the line when they want all 3. 

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

I would pay a sub over a f2p game any day. I end up spending more in a cash shop then a monthly fee anyways. and f2p is always a hollow shell of a game with low content. u get what u pay for. I for one am glad its sub based.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

EVE is a separate beast.

fair enough comment

I haven't played an SoE game since they did away with their subscription models, but isn't it fair to say that SoE isn't exactly using this same model? Meaning of all the fees (Box/Sub/RMT) they are only using no more than 2?

I can go for a game that has no boxed fee but has RMT and an optional SUB to unlock content. (SoE)

I can go for a game that has a box and a sub but no RMT (FF14)

I can go for a game that has a Box and RMT but no sub (GW2)

I draw the line when they want all 3. 

It's each persons decision on whether they classify CREDD as RMT.  Technically, it's simply purchasing subscription time that is tradeable in-game.  Essentially, you're paying for someone else's subscription and because you're paying for their sub, you ask for a portion of the in-game currency they are able to obtain by being subbed.  I understand why you may consider it RMT as the end result it inputting real money and outputting in-game items or currency.  However, I see it as a free market and creating greater accessibility.  

The people complaining about subscription costs should be thrilled with CREDD.  Much like in their touted F2P games, they are able to trade time for money (or something with monetary value at least).

On a side note, I agree that a game would be better with a straight sub and no external inputs.  However, no game company has yet figured out how to stop gold selling and it's not because of the abundance of gold sellers, rather it's because of the high demand from the players.  I can completely understand the "if you can't beat them, join them approach", after all it's what the players want.  Also, the costs of combating gold selling are large, where the CREDD approach generates additional revenue.  As a business, the decision isn't a difficult one.

Originally posted by killion81

It's each persons decision on whether they classify CREDD as RMT.  Technically, it's simply purchasing subscription time that is tradeable in-game.  Essentially, you're paying for someone else's subscription and because you're paying for their sub, you ask for a portion of the in-game currency they are able to obtain by being subbed.  I understand why you may consider it RMT as the end result it inputting real money and outputting in-game items or currency.  However, I see it as a free market and creating greater accessibility.  

And that is fine. It just means you have more of a tolerance for that then I do.

The people complaining about subscription costs should be thrilled with CREDD.  Much like in their touted F2P games, they are able to trade time for money (or something with monetary value at least).

I am a big meta-gamer I love to play in game markets and crafting is also very big on my list. Every game I have played in where players had the ability to convert real money into game currency has eroded away at the game's meta-game. And If I am to pay top dollar, then I don't want this. I understand that you see opportunity. And in fact there may be, but in my experience, it will not come without a trade off.

On a side note, I agree that a game would be better with a straight sub and no external inputs.  However, no game company has yet figured out how to stop gold selling and it's not because of the abundance of gold sellers, rather it's because of the high demand from the players.  I can completely understand the "if you can't beat them, join them approach", after all it's what the players want.  Also, the costs of combating gold selling are large, where the CREDD approach generates additional revenue.  As a business, the decision isn't a difficult one.

As far as the "There will always be gold farmers" argument. I think there is a negative impact here as well. When you have games like WoW, where there is no formally sanctioned method of gold buying, the devs are always putting mechanics into the game to combat this. In WoW we've seen increasing numbers of different in game currencies. Tokens for this and badges for that. And while they introduce more grind, they devalue gold and keep certain items earned instead of just buying them outright. In Vanilla WoW you bought cooking recipes with coin. By Wrath, you bought them with tokens.

In this game, the publisher is not going to want a hundred different kinds of currency because that will be in contention with the reason to buy CREDD. The gold farmers can take advantage of that more in a game like this.

Will all that happen? Who knows? It's possible. I'm taking a wait and see approach, but I'm exceedingly doubtful this game is going to have the intricate meta-games, I'd loved in the past. And for the money they are asking for, it needs to.

Should it work out that it does in spite of CREDD, then I will spend the money.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Whatever happend to a pure P2P game ? I guess with all the gold sellers in MMO's these days it can't ever be done again ? I do miss PSU even more now. I don't like the sound of been able to buy in-game credits with real cash , just really defeats the purpose of a fully subbed game to me. Messed up economy from day one , the more real cash you have the more in-game credits and / or items you can buy.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by BadOrb

Whatever happend to a pure P2P game ? I guess with all the gold sellers in MMO's these days it can't ever be done again ? I do miss PSU even more now. I don't like the sound of been able to buy in-game credits with real cash , just really defeats the purpose of a fully subbed game to me. Messed up economy from day one , the more real cash you have the more in-game credits and / or items you can buy.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

That is the general trajectory of everything in life right now.  People with more resources get more and it's really hard to fault the logic behind that.  It's considerably easier to create an emotional argument highlighting how it's unfair, but such arguments do not fit logic.

Having said that, gold selling is a HUGE business and there is massive demand for farmed gold from the players themselves.  There are tons of people that will tell you how terrible gold selling is, then go buy a big chunk of in game currency without saying a word to anyone about it.  Supply will always rise up to meet demand, so in this case, the players really are the problem.

What is a game company supposed to do?  

They can combat gold selling, ban gold sellers, bot gold farmers and gold buyers.  The gold sellers and gold farmers will purchase new accounts (possibly with stolen credit cards) or hack new accounts, both illegal activities costing the game company time and money.  The gold buyers being banned may just drop the game completely, meaning lost subscription revenue.  

Or, the can do something like sell CREDD.  CREDD reduces the demand for outside gold sellers, which reduces the supply (or the ensuing competition to reduce prices and sell unwanted supply cuts most competitors out of the market).  CREDD reduces the number of players submitting their CC and personal information to outside gold sellers, which reduces the number of hacked accounts and fraudulently purchased accounts.  CREDD generates additional revenue for the game company and doesn't kill subscriptions.

If it were your company, which would you choose?

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    I don't know why they just don't go with pure sub model. Worst to worst 6 months down the lane they will have to go P2P to save their behind. But this Credd thing along with 15 bucks a month isn't going to work. Right now they are just putting more people off. it is going to effect their release a lot.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Cheers,

BadOrb.

That is the general trajectory of everything in life right now.  People with more resources get more and it's really hard to fault the logic behind that.  It's considerably easier to create an emotional argument highlighting how it's unfair, but such arguments do not fit logic.

Having said that, gold selling is a HUGE business and there is massive demand for farmed gold from the players themselves.  There are tons of people that will tell you how terrible gold selling is, then go buy a big chunk of in game currency without saying a word to anyone about it.  Supply will always rise up to meet demand, so in this case, the players really are the problem.

What is a game company supposed to do?  

They can combat gold selling, ban gold sellers, bot gold farmers and gold buyers.  The gold sellers and gold farmers will purchase new accounts (possibly with stolen credit cards) or hack new accounts, both illegal activities costing the game company time and money.  The gold buyers being banned may just drop the game completely, meaning lost subscription revenue.  

Or, the can do something like sell CREDD.  CREDD reduces the demand for outside gold sellers, which reduces the supply (or the ensuing competition to reduce prices and sell unwanted supply cuts most competitors out of the market).  CREDD reduces the number of players submitting their CC and personal information to outside gold sellers, which reduces the number of hacked accounts and fraudulently purchased accounts.  CREDD generates additional revenue for the game company and doesn't kill subscriptions.

A very tough question , as I am an MMO gamer and if I owned a company that was making an MMO. I believe I would have to go down the pure P2P route but would have to have lots of messages about god sellers and explain why I / we went down that route. It's to do with a sense of achievement , you play the game and gain levels and in-game money all on your own. I guess in the end the game might fall flat on it's face if it were hacked etc. So to conclude I would be a hopeless MMO company manager or I would be the saviour of all that is pure in MMO land.

As I said  a tough question , probably the best idea would be the CREDD type system but I would have to put a limit on how much you could buy. Mind you then people would by the extra from gold sellers. Wouldn't people still buy off gold sellers in an MMO if they were selling cheaper than for instance the CREDD system price ?

Selling in-game credits and F2P models of late are probably the reason why so many hop from one mmo to another , max out buy everything = bored.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

Well, it isn't my company. So I am just the consumer. I'd rather they continue to try as best they can to manage the gold sellers in a reasonable fashion. No one will say it must be stopped, but we can say, do your best. But for them to say, "If you can't beat them....." is a cop out.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

The issue I still have is that they are trying to sell this as a bullshit feature for your security rather than call it exactly what it is.  A blatant cash-grab. 

Why does C.R.E.D.D. cost more than a monthly subscription?

This allows us to protect our users and provide secure player to player transactions with in-game money.

How does $5 more provide protection for your users and secure player to player transactions with in-game money?  Any basic trading system should be secure and provide the same things, so why does this game demand an extra $5 to provide something that is standard in other games? 

Because AppleBabe345 doesn't give a rat's ass about you or your account. It is a much more secure path to go than buying from a third party, where any number of things could happen - having your newly purchased gold removed from the game, getting yourself banned, getting your account hacked, or getting your personal info used inappropriately.

I know that won't stop you from pounding out "cashgrab" as your response a dozen more times in this thread, but that's the answer.

CREDD allows the Wildstar players with extra money and the players with extra time to mutually benefit from each other's assets.

And I agree with you, but the basic trading system should already cover that shouldn't it?  If it's an item to be traded, it doesn't need 'extra special protection' that costs an extra $5.  Or are they saying their basic trading system is so horribly broken it can be hacked with a piece of tinfoil and a paper clip? 

What I'm saying is the reasons they specify don't add up to anything but utter bullshit and a cashgrab. 

Demean my use of 'cashgrab' all you want, but that is simply what it is.  Don't try to tell me it costs an extra $5 to securely trade an item when it simply doesn't.  I only want them to be honest.  If you have money, buy this and sell it in-game for gold.  Secure in-game transactions are part of a basic trade system, it's not something special they have to add on. 

[mod edit]

I'm passing on this game till it's FTP, which it will be within 3 months.  When devs lie to your face, that's never a good sign about the game.

It's "secure" because it is a safe in-game way to buy gold from other players, instead of hackers and thieves. So the marketing they are using is not BS... You're just not thinking about it enough.. If you buy gold from farmers, you get hacked/banned or worse, if you buy gold from another player, you don't. Therefore they can call it more secure for their players.

Now about the reason it costs more.. Eve plex also cost about 20 bucks. Buying gold is Taboo, but if you're paying an additional fee to be able to sell that gold, its more fair to players who just work for their money, and it becomes less taboo and more understandable.

I hope this helps.

• BacchiraBacchira Member Posts: 50

I look at it this way:

Subscribtion is $20 a month, but if I don't need the option to be able to sell my subscribtion in-game, I get a $5 discount.

• indojabijinindojabijin Member UncommonPosts: 97

I think some people are missing the fact that the CREDD system is working like a stock market exchange. It is not player controlled pricing. I fully expect CREDD to yield a moderate amount of in game currency but nothing ground breaking where someone can buy fantastic gear without spending hundreds of dollars on CREDD.

At the same time, if the rewards aren't worth it - people won't buy it. However, there will always be people with disposable income that will buy it.

It is a vanity system. GW2 currency exchange doesn't exchange much between gems and gold (at all) - however their game is B2P so majority of it involves the exchange system because of the RNG of chests and events.

If this system were to work the same way as GW2 but without the cash shop (therefore removing the incentive of P2W) it would work. Especially since the best armor in game will be obtained in ways that don't pertain to in game currency (raids and dungeons, etc).

In fact, in GW2 there is nothing worth buying with currency as all the best items cannot be obtained that way. I fully expect it to work the same in Wildstar.

The intention of the system is clear: to allow alternatives instead of paying for a sub and combating gold sellers. Considering is it not player run - I think it can work just as well as EVE.

Trust me, come launch he richest person in game is not going to be the person selling CREDDs - they usually never are.