Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscription $15 and CREDD $20?

DingoBoiDingoBoi Member Posts: 87

A monthly sub costs $15, but you can also buy and resell CREDD for $20. 

Why does C.R.E.D.D. cost more than a monthly subscription?

This allows us to protect our users and provide secure player to player transactions with in-game money.

I'd like to know how?  It seems to make no sense to me other than being a blatant cash grab.  Can anyone actually explain why CREDD costs $5 more than a monthly sub?  Because the reasons they cite simply don't add up to anything but scamming you out of an extra $5.

And... let's not forget the blatant cash grab of the $60 retail box cost that has been traditionally for consoles, not pc games.  All this simply reeks of cashgrab.

Defiance came out with a $60 price tag... and.. well.. the game really suxxors.  Should have been FTP.  I'm thinking I'll pass on this failure.

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    same thing EVE does -- cash for PLEX is 19.95
  • ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224

CREDD is more about buying gold for cash than a sub. What other reason is there to buy CREDD than your buying gold. Legalized gold selling.  The question is why would anyone buy CREDD?  Only those who are having problem justifying paying a sub.  But those people are never long term players.  Anyone on the fence like that will never stick to a game.  It is just a way to get a few more dollars without using a cash shop from the players with the short attention spans.

They can charge whatever they want as long as it is $15 or greater.  Anything less would not make sense.  But if they can get away with it at $20.00 why not do it.  It is just another way for them to make money and avoid all the game design problems and unwanted ultra casual game hoppers that ruin communities from the F2P model. The game is being made for veteran experienced MMO players that want to bring the genre back to what it was in pre-WoW difficulty and also community wise.  While it will never be as good as a pre-wow community it can be so much better than the kiddie offend everyone in sight GW2 type communities we see in the F2P games.

• flclimaxflclimax Member UncommonPosts: 92
    gonna flop. PLEX came about long after EVE's economy was settled and flowing, TERA chronoscroll is a bit wacky but still better than what WS will be. their economy will be a runaway from day 1.
  • DingoBoiDingoBoi Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by Zapzap

CREDD is more about buying gold for cash than a sub. What other reason is there to buy CREDD than your buying gold. Legalized gold selling.  The question is why would anyone buy CREDD?  Only those who are having problem justifying paying a sub.  But those people are never long term players.  Anyone on the fence like that will never stick to a game.  It is just a way to get a few more dollars without using a cash shop from the players with the short attention spans.

They can charge whatever they want as long as it is $15 or greater.  Anything less would not make sense.  But if they can get away with it at $20.00 why not do it.  It is just another way for them to make money and avoid all the game design problems and unwanted ultra casual game hoppers that ruin communities from the F2P model. The game is being made for veteran experienced MMO players that want to bring the genre back to what it was in pre-WoW difficulty and also community wise.  While it will never be as good as a pre-wow community it can be so much better than the kiddie offend everyone in sight GW2 type communities we see in the F2P games.

Okay, I get the legalized gold selling aspect.  But you are completely wrong about the 'why would anyone buy CREDD?  Only those who are having problems justifying a sub".... um... those who buy CREDD won't be those who have problems justifying a sub.... because if they can't afford $15, they certainly can't afford $20.  This is for rich people who have more money than brains.  And I'm not opposed to that.  A game can make money off of rich people with lots of disposable income and little time... so they buy CREDD and sell it for gold to buy what they really want, but don't have to time to farm credits.

I got that and I approve.

The issue I still have is that they are trying to sell this as a bullshit feature for your security rather than call it exactly what it is.  A blatant cash-grab. 

This allows us to protect our users and provide secure player to player transactions with in-game money.

How does $5 more provide protection for your users and secure player to player transactions with in-game money?  Any basic trading system should be secure and provide the same things, so why does this game demand an extra $5 to provide something that is standard in other games? 

I don't have a problem with the extra cost and extra profit for them by doing this, but I do have a problem with how they are billing it as a feature rather than the explicit cash-grab it is.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    With this reveal I just added this title to my 'skip' list.
    Originally posted by DingoBoi

How does $5 more provide protection for your users and secure player to player transactions with in-game money? 

cant speak for EVE but in SOE games there are time cards that players can trade ingame cash for

this method is more secure than trusting some unknown time card code

• ipekaipeka Member Posts: 222

Anyone can give me an estimation in EVE , how much effort do i need to give myself to pay for monthly without real money?  I dont have much issue paying monthly but knwoing that i can work for my a free month would be an interesting option.

If i have to give like 80% of my time weekly to earn gold for CREDD then that's a no-no.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

The issue I still have is that they are trying to sell this as a bullshit feature for your security rather than call it exactly what it is.  A blatant cash-grab. 

How does $5 more provide protection for your users and secure player to player transactions with in-game money?  Any basic trading system should be secure and provide the same things, so why does this game demand an extra $5 to provide something that is standard in other games? 

Because AppleBabe345 doesn't give a rat's ass about you or your account. It is a much more secure path to go than buying from a third party, where any number of things could happen - having your newly purchased gold removed from the game, getting yourself banned, getting your account hacked, or getting your personal info used inappropriately.

I know that won't stop you from pounding out "cashgrab" as your response a dozen more times in this thread, but that's the answer.

CREDD allows the Wildstar players with extra money and the players with extra time to mutually benefit from each other's assets.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Because AppleBabe345 doesn't give a rat's ass about you or your account. It is a much more secure path to go than buying from a third party, where any number of things could happen - having your newly purchased gold removed from the game, getting yourself banned, getting your account hacked, or getting your personal info used inappropriately.

I know that won't stop you from pounding out "cashgrab" as your response a dozen more times in this thread, but that's the answer.

CREDD allows the Wildstar players with extra money and the players with extra time to mutually benefit from each other's assets.

And I agree with you, but the basic trading system should already cover that shouldn't it?  If it's an item to be traded, it doesn't need 'extra special protection' that costs an extra $5.  Or are they saying their basic trading system is so horribly broken it can be hacked with a piece of tinfoil and a paper clip? 

What I'm saying is the reasons they specify don't add up to anything but utter bullshit and a cashgrab. 

Demean my use of 'cashgrab' all you want, but that is simply what it is.  Don't try to tell me it costs an extra $5 to securely trade an item when it simply doesn't.  I only want them to be honest.  If you have money, buy this and sell it in-game for gold.  Secure in-game transactions are part of a basic trade system, it's not something special they have to add on. 

[mod edit]

I'm passing on this game till it's FTP, which it will be within 3 months.  When devs lie to your face, that's never a good sign about the game.

I don't see any issues with CREDD

- its modeled after EVE's PLEX system, that has the same price tier

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

It's all pretty ludicrous to me. Even if you were to do a Sub system, again, 15 bucks is some wierd arbitrarly number that, at this stage, only established IP can demand.  I have no idea why games don't lower it to 5 or 10 bucks considering they would keep a steadier and grow a larger player base.  It's economic fact. Once prices go over 10 bucks for everything, our minds see the cost differently, whether slightly or a new bill.  But 5/ 10 bucks, the lower syllables in the number subconciously make us believe it's not as much as is perceived. 

The whole thing's fairly baffling to me. The only thing I can guess is that whoever is funding them hasn't done their research and truly believes they can be the next Wow, a lofty goal that, 2 years ago, everyone found out was fool's gold.  Sad thing is, when it does become free to play (which I can only bet they are planning for in a year) the game may not be able to recover the initital reputation hit. Rift had a strong reputation for being a greatly polished game, LOTR and SWTOR have great IP backing them up. Wildstar just has some catchy toons right now and, a paths and "telegraph system" that are done in other names (simply given no name).  

[mod edit]

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

yea, why do they go for 15$ .......

because that's the price they all go for?

12€...

seriously, chill your panties.... maybe they thought they will be successfull because they followed the hypetrain here on the forum?

you dont like the CREDD thingie, cool storry, dont buy em...

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by ipeka
    Anyone can give me an estimation in EVE , how much effort do i need to give myself to pay for monthly without real money?  I dont have much issue paying monthly but knwoing that i can work for my a free month would be an interesting option.

If i have to give like 80% of my time weekly to earn gold for CREDD then that's a no-no.

An hour or 2 of missions every day for 30 days.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by dontadow

It's all pretty ludicrous to me. Even if you were to do a Sub system, again, 15 bucks is some wierd arbitrarly number that, at this stage, only established IP can demand.  I have no idea why games don't lower it to 5 or 10 bucks considering they would keep a steadier and grow a larger player base.  It's economic fact. Once prices go over 10 bucks for everything, our minds see the cost differently, whether slightly or a new bill.  But 5/ 10 bucks, the lower syllables in the number subconciously make us believe it's not as much as is perceived. 

Actually, due to consumer price bias, they can't offer the game at lower than 15 dollars, because the perception will be that it is an inferior or lower quality game.

Show your post to your economics teacher and see what he thinks about your 'economic fact'. Give him time to stop laughing about the one syllable thing first though, because he'll also want to explain the difference between your one syllable "ten" and the four syllable "nine ninety-nine".

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Nitth  

Originally posted by ipeka Anyone can give me an estimation in EVE , how much effort do i need to give myself to pay for monthly without real money?  I dont have much issue paying monthly but knwoing that i can work for my a free month would be an interesting option.   If i have to give like 80% of my time weekly to earn gold for CREDD then that's a no-no.
    [mod edit]

I farmed lvl 4 missions that took about an hour, 2 if i wanted to savage the wrecks every day for 30 days to buy a plex for 350,000,000 isk from jita.

Are you calling me a liar?

edit: (i might of been on lvl 3 missions at the time, and for full disclosure the price of plex recently is about 500,000,000isk. Scale accordingly.)

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Agreed.

But I still don't like games with monthly fees that allow selling of gold or gear, I get that "pay2win" feeling from that.

I guess if good stuff cost as much as a top ship in Eve it would work out since few people actually can afford that but I do remember loads of people here complaining that GW2 allows you to trade real money for gold and it is just B2P with a very easy to get high end gear (you can actually farm enough for a exo gear there in one hour).

If Wildstar is more gear focused than that this game is off my list no matter how good it is.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Players like OP are players which are QQ-ing for every fcking thing out there. 

I would rather have this option, then having my chat spam with gold sellers. 

People will buy gold no matter what. So why should they fight like forever with gold sellers, when they can easily take a part from it. I would do the same, you would do the same. Blizzard's doing the same. It's a business after all. So if their business work, we , as gamers, will be happy.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

Originally posted by dontadow

Actually, due to consumer price bias, they can't offer the game at lower than 15 dollars, because the perception will be that it is an inferior or lower quality game.

Show your post to your economics teacher and see what he thinks about your 'economic fact'. Give him time to stop laughing about the one syllable thing first though, because he'll also want to explain the difference between your one syllable "ten" and the four syllable "nine ninety-nine".

I'm not so sure of that.  $15 is the 'standard' sub price granted... but a product at less that that like $10 or $8 could compete quite well without the reactionary "it must suck' response.  Defiance sold at $60 for the retail game.. the game sucks... granted, it's b2p... but it still suxx big donkey dick.

I cannot help but believe that there is a happy medium between b2p and subs... The gameworld is moving away from subs entirely...  A $5/month sub is far more attractive to players and, if a good game, will earn them lots of subscribers.

The core problem is that there are lots of games that are ftp.  No cash upfront but buy if you want special features... and that's fine.  But when I buy, I don't want to be nickle and dimed to death after to advance.  

and i especially don't want devs outright lying to me about their business model.

Originally posted by Loke666

Agreed.

But I still don't like games with monthly fees that allow selling of gold or gear, I get that "pay2win" feeling from that.

I guess if good stuff cost as much as a top ship in Eve it would work out since few people actually can afford that but I do remember loads of people here complaining that GW2 allows you to trade real money for gold and it is just B2P with a very easy to get high end gear (you can actually farm enough for a exo gear there in one hour).

If Wildstar is more gear focused than that this game is off my list no matter how good it is.

I think it all depends on how the game is designed. On the EVE thing, the person that can't afford that expensive ship is just screwing himself by trying to buy his way into it. He gets no advantage out of that. More than likely, he just paid the monthly fee of the guy who's about to blow him up. :) In GW2, the shop seems mostly cosmetic, and none of it seems to affect PVP, so if people want Quaggin backpacks, I say go for it. I'm not a fan of how they do the dyes, but that's just my personal issue with it.

PLEX, Krono, Gems... each of the systems seem to solve several problems. It gives veteran players something to do with their gold (and allows many to play for free), it offers a secure way for people who want gold to get it without going through sometimes sketchy third parties, and it opens up more options in game.

If 'buy to win' becomes an issue in WildStar, then that would be because of poor game design, and not because of the existence of CREDD. If the perception is that game items cost too much but the game is enjoyable, people will just go to the third party sellers for their gold.

Originally posted by ipeka Anyone can give me an estimation in EVE , how much effort do i need to give myself to pay for monthly without real money?  I dont have much issue paying monthly but knwoing that i can work for my a free month would be an interesting option.   If i have to give like 80% of my time weekly to earn gold for CREDD then that's a no-no.
    [mod edit]

I farmed lvl 4 missions that took about an hour, 2 if i wanted to savage the wrecks every day for 30 days to buy a plex for 350,000,000 isk from jita.

Are you calling me a liar?

edit: (i might of been on lvl 3 missions at the time, and for full disclosure the price of plex recently is about 500,000,000isk. Scale accordingly.)

[mod edit]

"Anyone can give me an estimation in EVE , how much effort do i need to give myself to pay for monthly without real money?" - ipeka

Ok, so really, you don't want an answer. You want to call the devs greedy liars and you want to call people who disagree with you idiots. Got it.

/block

Well, aren't they?

They are claiming they need the extra $5 to make transactions secure.... but if it's an item, the regular trade system is secure isn't it? 

You just don't know when you are being fed a line of bullshit.. utter bullshit at that. 

But thanks for glossing over the actual issue you idiot.

If you feel my explanation is glossing it over, fine. You're paying for a secure, convenient, transferable token worth a month of subscription that can be traded to other players for game gold/ISK/plat/zennies/whatever.  Unlike your other in game items, CREDD is tied to the billing system and whatever other backend databases are used for customer accounts. That said, no one is going to buy a CREDD for $20 to pay their subscription. 

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Why so mad OP?

Don't like $20, sub for $15.

If NC wants to "tax" for the option for in-game gold selling, seems they have the right to do so. Seems fair to me also.

On the subject of "$15 monthly subs". I will only pontificate with a question: How much has a movie ticket gone up in price since you began to pay $15 for a month sub? Yeah that is what I thought, 50% minimum. So, economically MMO subs are a very unique commodity.

Finally this: DON"T LIKE IT DONT PLAY IT!

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

[mod edit]

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

[mod edit]