Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I guess this time, the ladies cannot complain. (Sort of Spoilerish)

IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

I often hear my gaming lady-friends (and many more in any given mmo forum)  complain about how MMORPG´s misrepresent the female gender  and that it forces upon them skimpy and slutty stereotypes while leaving the males to lead and be the big, bad, important heroes that do all the awesome stuff.

Well, in Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, not only are males prone to have to equip stuff like this:

Clothes

But there is also plenty of full plated, fully robed female armor to go by, that makes them look like actual heroes and not like tavern wenches on a quest.

POSSIBLE LORE SPOILER

And it does not end there, as the three rulers of the nations the players join are female, all of them, and at least two of them are quite badass too, with the third one being that cute and princess-like lalafell.

POSSIBLE LORE SPOILER ENDS

So i guess this time around i won´t be hearing about how sexist and mysognistic game devs are

Comments

• AngelxxAngelxx Member Posts: 81

He's.so.damn.cute. Would totally stalk him if he was on my server........

I absolutely love male Miqo'tes... Stop tempting me to change my female Miqo'te's gender lol. But seriously, I agree with you, ARR is pretty fair on this, and all the characters are really great!

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    Yeah that's a hale of a spoiler, fully as crap.
  • IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Angelxx

I absolutely love male Miqo'tes... Stop tempting me to change my female Miqo'te's gender lol. But seriously, I agree with you, ARR is pretty fair on this, and all the characters are really great!

Thanks?  It´s my character, hehe.

And yes, i believe FF14 is quite fair when it comes to this kind of stuff, and whether a set of gear is skimpy or fully plated, both genders get the same "version".

I was also quite surprised when i visited all the capitals and realixed every single leader is female, i think that´s a first in mmo history, to have most of the important npcs be female.

Not that it bothers me, but i guess i was not expecting it.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

And yes, i believe FF14 is quite fair when it comes to this kind of stuff, and whether a set of gear is skimpy or fully plated, both genders get the same "version".

I was also quite surprised when i visited all the capitals and realixed every single leader is female, i think that´s a first in mmo history, to have most of the important npcs be female.

General Rhauban is not a female.

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Eh? isn't that leader you go to in Uh'dal a guy? (The guy after you go there from the airhsip) or am I confused.
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

So i guess this time around i won´t be hearing about how sexist and mysognistic game devs are

I feel the same as well, but i've seen several threads on the official forums stating quite the opposite xD

How there is allllways the 'female-in-need' thrown in your face, and they were even bitching about the old opening cutscene where it referred to a generic character as HIM instead of HER, not realising the HIM they were talking about was the generic guy adventurer representing the players in the trailers and such.

It was hilarious.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Stiler
    Eh? isn't that leader you go to in Uh'dal a guy? (The guy after you go there from the airhsip) or am I confused.

He serves the princess lalafell. you see him in cutscenes lifting her on his arm like a chair lol.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Oh how cool. You better watch out then lol

But yeah, anyway, in pretty much all FF games they're pretty fair, what I also like is that their characters aren't stereotypical, e.g.  fighter but still feminine female leads like Lightning, or even kinda feminine looking males such as Vaan. In some other games, the creators can totally overdo it when it comes to creating a monstrous-muscle guys and inhuman-boobs women.

Originally posted by Zadawn

General Rhauban is not the leader, he´s a servant to the petite Sultana lalafell girl.

She even sits on him as a seat/method of transportation.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298

General Rhauban is not the leader, he´s a servant to the petite Sultana lalafell girl.

Couldn't help it, sorry.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

She's the Sultana, essentially the queen of Ul'dah. However, Rhauban IS the leader of the grand company itself.

<3

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Sciva

Couldn't help it, sorry.

Zaraki Kenpachi can divide by zero...twice...after he says Bankai.

Also I wonder how many variation on the name: Ben Dover will be running aroun in ARR now XD.

Originally posted by dreamscaper

She's the Sultana, essentially the queen of Ul'dah. However, Rhauban IS the leader of the grand company itself.

In the end she is the one calling the shots.

Not only that, but there´s a certain event in a certain situation that pretty much shows that while he´s the loudest and the most ME SMASH YOU RAAAWR of the leaders of the GC´s , in the  end he has to submit and bow down to the strategy of the other two, he´s pretty much the boss of the grunts lol.

MALES ARE OPPRESSED IN VIDEOGAEMS!!1111 i am going to make a youtube channel and make 100.000$ in donations to speak about the many issues my gender suffers and claim every popular videogame is evil, oppressive and offensive against it.

Oh wait, Anita has me beaten to it.

• czombieczombie Member Posts: 82
    I switched classes just so I wouldn't have to see my character wearing that.  I never understood why guys crossplayed their toons as women so much but after having to look at my toon in that outfit I'm beginning to want to start doing it myself.
  • TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by czombie
    I switched classes just so I wouldn't have to see my character wearing that.  I never understood why guys crossplayed their toons as women so much but after having to look at my toon in that outfit I'm beginning to want to start doing it myself.

I feel the same way dude, sure it's a double standard but there's no reason why it should be like that.  I wonder who the hell saw that armor and thought "Yeah, that works" the female version is less revealing for god sakes.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    I hated that armor when I got it :P.  In my LS I was calling my self a little male stripper (I'm lalafell).  I had that with some big red boots.  And, I love the female characters in this game.  I mean how can you not love momodi (probably spelled it wrong but the leader of adventurers guild in Ul'dah).
    Originally posted by NetSage
    I hated that armor when I got it :P.  In my LS I was calling my self a little male stripper (I'm lalafell).  I had that with some big red boots.  And, I love the female characters in this game.  I mean how can you not love momodi (probably spelled it wrong but the leader of adventurers guild in Ul'dah).

Momodi is a perv.

You will see why as the story progresses haha!

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    I dunno, if I were a girl who is in  her late twenties, I may want a man not a boy.  
  • Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    Youll be hearing it anyway. lol, there was already a thread on the dancing kitties in Uldah. I think youre underestimating just how proud and full of themselves these self-victimized, misandric, Sarkeesian worshipping feminists are.
    Wth, for real? I think that those dancing kitties were totally awesome, I can't see how anyone can have a problem with that.
    I guess one should never underestimate the Sarkeesianists.