Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The most realistic looking MMORPG of all time!

14567810»

Comments

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by artemisentr4

Originally posted by MindTrigger You sound like a used car salesmen in a $50 suit. The stylized graphics in EQNext allow for the constructable / destructable world, among other things.  I'll take those new features over the same ancient themepark crap from the likes of ESO any day.

I agree with the OP, graphics look to be a plus. EQN graphics are a big turn off for me as well. I would rather go with graphics and ESO content for PvE than EQN PvE at this point. EQN has the raw raw, but no one has backed up raw raw. We shall see when they both launch.

yep and this guy who is referring somebody to be a salesman is so deep in eqn arse he cant find the way out even with help.

• DarkstarzDarkstarz Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by fistorm

Its 2013, and unbeleivable graphics have came out.  Bethesda and Zenimax have taken hold of these amazing capablities and made us an online game with them.  Elder Scrolls Online.  After seeing what EQ Next will look like, and its gameworld looking like last years Guildwars 2 gameworld in graphics,  there will be no one in the way to make this the most realistic MMORPG of the year, and in fact, all time.   I hope and have no doubt we will see more MMORPG's start to follow this amazing graphic outlook to push these games to look even more real and enjoyable.   Just wanted to say Thankyou ESO!

ESO Screenshot

Eq Next Screenshot

sure looks not bad and all but go check the secret world or Final Fantasy XIV ARR both older and i find both look far more real and on top of this FFXIV ARR is really fun game played all its betas and can't wait for its release XD

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Brabbit1987
    Originally posted by dustyhayes
    Cartoony graphics & aesthetics tend to age better, just look at WoW & GW1, WoW still looks better than GW1.

Not from my view point. WoW almost reminds me of PS1 graphics, maybe a little better. GW1 looks more along the line of PS2 graphics.

I really am not even sure how anyone uses the excuse that cartoon graphics & aesthetics age better. What makes them age better? That really makes no sense.

I think the only game that has aged extremely well is crysis, and that is not cartoony in anyway. Even though that game is old, it still looks better then most games today.

I mean let me put it another way, if a game looks photorealistic , how can those graphics ever age bad? Unless reality itself starts to look better, that isn't going to happen. So we could technically say, photorealistic graphics & aesthetics age better.

Course those type of graphics can't be put into an mmo as of yet. The point though is to prove, cartoon graphics aging better is a load of crap. It's just what people want to say to justify it. To convince themselves and everyone else around them, that it's ok.

It's amazing how often people keep bringing that "cartoons age better" thing up. I've tried my best to debunk it several times but I've just given up. It's just one of those things I guess.

If we were talking about the best attempt at photorealism a home PC could manage in 1996 vs. the same in 2006, there was something to that back then. But for the last 5 years or more, the distinction is between best and bester. 

Crysis is an excellent example and so is GT IV and Dead Space, both 2008 games that still look great... as does Age of Conan. 

It's just an artistic decision to go with one style vs. another one--nothing more. Wildstar and EQN chose to go one way and ESO chose another way. People are just pissed at EQN because traditionally that franchise went for cutting edge graphics with an emphasis on realism. Wildstar gets a pass because they're a brand new IP. If ESO had done the same the crying and cussing would never stop here either.

I'm OK with either style as long as it's done well... although I do tend to enjoy the ESO style more. But it's not a deal breaker for me either way.

As far as I remember, WOW was the first MMO to go cartoony and it worked for them because we were already used to that style in the Warcraft RTS games. I'm actually surprised that more MMOs didn't copy their art style--especially with the resurgence of all things comic book in the past 10 years and all the cartoons for adult TV shows spawned by the Simpsons.

Whatever... but age better? Nope, that's not it lol. As if cartoons didn't age... look at Steamboat Willie, Felix the Cat or even Snow White.. now look at Shreck, Monsters Inc and Toy Story... I see aging there :)

I agree with both of you, I'm just less tolerant for a cartoony wow like world. I loved it when WOW first came out because back then, it was amazing to see for a first time MMOer a world with others we could play with in a fantasy setting. I was in awe for the first year. Now, when I see the same style 10 years later, it feels stale and I just struggle to want to explore which is my favorite thing to do in an MMO. That includes finding some beautiful vista where I can appreciate the amount of detail that went into the scenery, lighting etc. A cartoon just doesn't give me that same desire to look at the vistas and explore. This site continues to use 'stylized'  in place of cartoony to somehow support an aging better philosophy which to me is a contradiction in itself since we are talking about cartoons. I just don't get it.

There Is Always Hope!

• andyredandyred Member Posts: 4

I was pretty much in awe looking at the Images and Videos of the real in game footage, it looks even more crisper and higher quality rendering than Oblivion and Skyrim. I just hope that that won't affect the Performance too much though, as a game like ESO, you'll definetley want to crank up the graphics to maximum to have the full experience that the game has to offer.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by andyred

I was pretty much in awe looking at the Images and Videos of the real in game footage, it looks even more crisper and higher quality rendering than Oblivion and Skyrim. I just hope that that won't affect the Performance too much though, as a game like ESO, you'll definetley want to crank up the graphics to maximum to have the full experience that the game has to offer.

I have to say at max skyrim still looks better, at times it is harder to compare. The charachter models look a little better than SWTORs, but look really awkward running and using bows. The best parts of this game are in the dungeons, they really nailed the atmosphere making them feel eerie.

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by keithian
    Cartoony graphics & aesthetics tend to age better, just look at WoW & GW1, WoW still looks better than GW1.

Not from my view point. WoW almost reminds me of PS1 graphics, maybe a little better. GW1 looks more along the line of PS2 graphics.

I really am not even sure how anyone uses the excuse that cartoon graphics & aesthetics age better. What makes them age better? That really makes no sense.

I think the only game that has aged extremely well is crysis, and that is not cartoony in anyway. Even though that game is old, it still looks better then most games today.

I mean let me put it another way, if a game looks photorealistic , how can those graphics ever age bad? Unless reality itself starts to look better, that isn't going to happen. So we could technically say, photorealistic graphics & aesthetics age better.

Course those type of graphics can't be put into an mmo as of yet. The point though is to prove, cartoon graphics aging better is a load of crap. It's just what people want to say to justify it. To convince themselves and everyone else around them, that it's ok.

It's amazing how often people keep bringing that "cartoons age better" thing up. I've tried my best to debunk it several times but I've just given up. It's just one of those things I guess.

If we were talking about the best attempt at photorealism a home PC could manage in 1996 vs. the same in 2006, there was something to that back then. But for the last 5 years or more, the distinction is between best and bester. 

Crysis is an excellent example and so is GT IV and Dead Space, both 2008 games that still look great... as does Age of Conan. 

It's just an artistic decision to go with one style vs. another one--nothing more. Wildstar and EQN chose to go one way and ESO chose another way. People are just pissed at EQN because traditionally that franchise went for cutting edge graphics with an emphasis on realism. Wildstar gets a pass because they're a brand new IP. If ESO had done the same the crying and cussing would never stop here either.

I'm OK with either style as long as it's done well... although I do tend to enjoy the ESO style more. But it's not a deal breaker for me either way.

As far as I remember, WOW was the first MMO to go cartoony and it worked for them because we were already used to that style in the Warcraft RTS games. I'm actually surprised that more MMOs didn't copy their art style--especially with the resurgence of all things comic book in the past 10 years and all the cartoons for adult TV shows spawned by the Simpsons.

Whatever... but age better? Nope, that's not it lol. As if cartoons didn't age... look at Steamboat Willie, Felix the Cat or even Snow White.. now look at Shreck, Monsters Inc and Toy Story... I see aging there :)

I agree with both of you, I'm just less tolerant for a cartoony wow like world. I loved it when WOW first came out because back then, it was amazing to see for a first time MMOer a world with others we could play with in a fantasy setting. I was in awe for the first year. Now, when I see the same style 10 years later, it feels stale and I just struggle to want to explore which is my favorite thing to do in an MMO. That includes finding some beautiful vista where I can appreciate the amount of detail that went into the scenery, lighting etc. A cartoon just doesn't give me that same desire to look at the vistas and explore. This site continues to use 'stylized'  in place of cartoony to somehow support an aging better philosophy which to me is a contradiction in itself since we are talking about cartoons. I just don't get it.

For all those who don't get it or not sure where I'm coming from all is explained here enjoy its a decent video  =)

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/graphics-vs.-aesthetics

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

For all those who don't get it or not sure where I'm coming from all is explained here enjoy its a decent video  =)

Right I understand what "you" mean, but it's clear you didn't understand what the video itself actually means. What it is saying is that, no matter how good you make your graphics, it will not make the actual game itself look good. Aesthetics are more important . However, this doesn't mean cartoons age better in anyway. You can make a great looking game no matter what style you use as long as you do it RIGHT. Graphics vs aesthetics has nothing to do with cartoon aesthetics vs realistic aesthetics.

I think the reason why you misunderstand is because the video uses very poor examples. When judgeing 2 games, you should compare similar styles. However, in the video it compares 2 entirely different art / aesthetic styles, which is pretty much retarded.

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by fistorm
    I'll agree, that eq next has revolutionary game mechanics that we never seen before, but as far as graphics go, they will not be as good as ESO's this time around.  I guess people will have to choose what they like most in these games.  Game mechanics or real looking graphics.   It will be nice to see someday if game mechanics of eq next could be added to a game as stunningly beautiful as ESO

What have you never seen before?

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Some people really think that realistic graphics age better than stylized graphics? That's... just not true.
  • LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174

Right I understand what "you" mean, but it's clear you didn't understand what the video itself actually means. What it is saying is that, no matter how good you make your graphics, it will not make the actual game itself look good. Aesthetics are more important . However, this doesn't mean cartoons age better in anyway. You can make a great looking game no matter what style you use as long as you do it RIGHT. Graphics vs aesthetics has nothing to do with cartoon aesthetics vs realistic aesthetics.

I think the reason why you misunderstand is because the video uses very poor examples. When judgeing 2 games, you should compare similar styles. However, in the video it compares 2 entirely different art / aesthetic styles, which is pretty much retarded.

Thank you, Point taken =)

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

Thank you, Point taken =)

=^.^= Thank you for being mature, it's kinda rare on the net.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Still shots of ESO look amazing.  Then you see the avatars animations.....