Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ho-Hum..Dippity Doo Daa... Mmorpgs

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Am I getting too old for mmorpgs? I often wonder about that. I have been playing mmorpgs since 1998. Have a long list, have hundreds of different characters. But in this year 2013. I find mmos lacking. Do not get me wrong. I believe for other players mmos may be fun, still have some excitement. But for me, I find our current mmos on the market boring, dull and repetitive.

I currently play Wizard 101 and Pirate101. While I know many of you may laugh at that notion(You know , a kids game). Both of those titles make theme park mmos at least funny. So I get some limited enjoyment from them. Now that everyone knows how low I took my standards, or actually how high(As both of those titles beat out 95% of all the mmos on this sites game list). I also have moved back to a favorite past time. Playing some very good RPGs!

As of late I find my single player RPGs more fun than the majority of mmos. I am hooked on Kingdom of Amalur, also do some Skyrim. You know you have hit rock bottom when you find rpgs more fun than a supposedly good mmo!  Playing a rpg is a great alternative to playing a hyped up half as good mmorpg that seems to circle around the web these days.

While some reading this may think I am off my rocker. Really I am not. I am actually looking forward to one mmo title. EQNEXT peaks my interest. It definitely is not a GW2 clone, a WOW clone or (place your mmo here) clone. In my view EQNEXT offers a step above the current generation of mmos.

So in my off-time. I sit , wait, play games that can just keep me occupied with a limited amount of fun.  So my question I would like to ask all of you. Are any of you at this same state as me? Its not burnout. As I still want to play a mmo. Rather , its sheer boredom of what mmos are currently.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

I was done till the so called sandbox talk.

So basically I'm done.I just haven't let on I know they're themed games for kids.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

I split my time between MMOs that came out 10+ years ago, and modern SRPG's, with the odd ARPG, FPS, or turn-based strategy game thrown in for a bit of variety.

When you spend more time waiting for new MMO's to release, only to find out it's more of the same recycled garbage, than actually playing MMO's, there's a pretty big problem. Now whether the problem lies with my expectations for a game or the games themselves is up for debate, but whatever.

In any case I'm still having fun, and it's amazing how much content is still left to explore after all these years.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

The OP's problem is that he cannot see pass the "MMO" label. As he said, he enjoyed many SP RPGs. Just enjoy MMO as fun. Quite a few MMOs have unique settings, and can be enjoyed as short solo games.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

The OP's problem is that he cannot see pass the "MMO" label. As he said, he enjoyed many SP RPGs. Just enjoy MMO as fun. Quite a few MMOs have unique settings, and can be enjoyed as short solo games.

Please do not try to psychoanalyze me :-P. Also, read what I said over! I never in no way stated I enjoyed many rpgs. Where did you get that from? I did state I have played many mmos through the years.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by xpowderx

Am I getting too old for mmorpgs?...

Thanks for reading!

No. You don't stop playing because you get old.

You get old because you stop playing. 

(BTW, 47 here, play GW2, TF2, Minecraft, enjoyed Wizard101... lots of fun to be had across the spectrum.)

Oderint, dum metuant.

Please do not try to psychoanalyze me :-P. Also, read what I said over! I never in no way stated I enjoyed many rpgs. Where did you get that from? I did state I have played many mmos through the years.

You said, and I quote

"As of late I find my single player RPGs more fun than the majority of mmos. I am hooked on Kingdom of Amalur, also do some Skyrim."

I suppose i would delete the word "many" if you don't think so. But you did state that "my single player RPGs more fun than the majority of mmos".

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

So my question I would like to ask all of you. Are any of you at this same state as me? Its not burnout. As I still want to play a mmo. Rather , its sheer boredom of what mmos are currently.Thanks for reading!
    Yes. I am, too. I have been hitting my single player RPGs lately. I still have the desire to log into an MMORPG, but there are just none that interest my personal style of gaming.

MMO players today just do not want the same kind of gaming experience I do (and found in the "old days"). The market answers to them, the majority. The little "flame of hope" I have kept alive is about to die out.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

It seems you're being defensive. Maybe deep down inside you realize a truth you don't want to acknowledge?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

So my question I would like to ask all of you. Are any of you at this same state as me? Its not burnout. As I still want to play a mmo. Rather , its sheer boredom of what mmos are currently.

Thanks for reading!

Yes. I am, too. I have been hitting my single player RPGs lately. I still have the desire to log into an MMORPG, but there are just none that interest my personal style of gaming.

MMO players today just do not want the same kind of gaming experience I do (and found in the "old days"). The market answers to them, the majority. The little "flame of hope" I have kept alive is about to die out.

So you do like SP RPGs?

I do agree that modern MMOs are not your style of "mmo" gaming. However, if you like SP RPGs, shouldn't the logical conclusion to be you can also like MMOs that are like SP RPGs, as long as you do not treat them as MMOs?

Originally posted by Loktofeit

It seems you're being defensive. Maybe deep down inside you realize a truth you don't want to acknowledge?

Ohh Loktofelt, such the antagonist :-).... Not defensive, just corrective :-P

Originally posted by Gorwe
    Please excuse our own narius right here! He's a poor, confused sod who thinks he likes MMOs. I actually agree with his reasons to play mmos(market simulator, crafting, presence of others, IPs that are exclusive to MMOs{Conan, Warhammer, Star Trek, LoTR, ...}), but they shouldn't be only reasons! Seeing most narius' responses he should go and play some Skyrim(play the whole TES series if you're so bored!) or Diablo...

Lol .. as if you can change minds over the internet.

Oh .. who says i only play MMOs. Please don't form such silly ideas. Diablo 3 is more fun (to me of course), then all the MMOs out there. But i don't play only one game, do i? (BTW, D3 is close enough in play style to MMO for me).

SKYRIM ... that is too much walking. Dishonored, Deus EX HE, Bioshock Infinite  .... those are more of my kind of games. Even Testament of Sherlock Holmes is more fun than most MMOs for me.

So please don't think i have to play MMOs. I only do so for variety. I am no where close to be an exclusive MMO player.

And yes .. the one you mentioned are the only reasons. You don't think i play MMOs for socializing, or the virtual world, do you?

There is no such thing as what "should be" the reasons to play MMO. There are only player preferences and i do not apologize for mine.

You specifically ask people "not to try to psychoanalyze me". That is not correcting a fact, nor an argument. It seems like you are afraid of others talking about your motivation and reasoning and want to deflect the discussion to somewhere else. That is defensive.

You specifically ask people "not to try to psychoanalyze me". That is not correcting a fact, nor an argument. It seems like you are afraid of others talking about your motivation and reasoning and want to deflect the discussion to somewhere else. That is defensive.

Cannot believe you are willing to go there.  Ok,  psychoanalyzing again! This time in red! Bold! ^^^ and a larger size! Now as to what I was correcting. You stated a quote within a quote" The OP's problem is that he cannot see pass the "MMO" label. As he said, he enjoyed many SP RPGs.

Hope that helps, Bold. Big and RED! Just for you.. Now back to the fact. A fact I never said I played many rpgs. I did say I played many mmos. A big difference in your assertion. Here is a quote of OP. Please READ IT! I will highlight this quote in yellow. " I have been playing mmorpgs since 1998. Have a long list, have hundreds of different characters.". I said nothing about playing MANY rpgs as your post stated. That is a fact as well as a correction. Now to the first part of you trying to play MISS CLEO. Highlighted just for you again! The OP's problem is that he cannot see pass the "MMO" label. . That statement is opinion, and has no basis in fact. While the second part of your statement is relaying the message as" fact" even though I never said such a thing. Thus it was corrected by me. Since it it obvious now that you missed your entire statement.

Reading Comprehension 101 much needed! I will stick to my world, you stick to yours THANKS!

And I do apologize for putting you on the spot narius. But in this case, you deserve it!

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

ARPG.com? How is this place still getting ad revenue (list every new release as an MMO, even if it's just kinda but not much).

Wave of the future; if you can't play it reasonably well on a phone operating system, it won't be around much longer.

Originally posted by Antiquated

ARPG.com? How is this place still getting ad revenue (list every new release as an MMO, even if it's just kinda but not much).

Wave of the future; if you can't play it reasonably well on a phone operating system, it won't be around much longer.

I heard over the rumor mill that Runescape is going Android next year. I can believe that statement. Especially as technology gets smaller and smaller. Who knows, two years from now WOW may be on a Iphone!

Cannot believe you are willing to go there.  Ok,  psychoanalyzing again! This time in red! Bold! ^^^ and a larger size! Now as to what I was correcting. You stated a quote within a quote" The OP's problem is that he cannot see pass the "MMO" label. As he said, he enjoyed many SP RPGs.

wow .. still defensive. In bold red no less.

"Ok,  psychoanalyzing again!" .. yes .. again. Because you are so defensive against being psychoanalyzed. See, you need to  read more carefully.

You are defensive about "asking not to be psycholoanalyzed", not about arguing if you can see pass the MMO label. That is two different things. Can you see the difference?

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Volkon

Am I getting too old for mmorpgs?...

Thanks for reading!

No. You don't stop playing because you get old.

You get old because you stop playing. 

(BTW, 47 here, play GW2, TF2, Minecraft, enjoyed Wizard101... lots of fun to be had across the spectrum.)

Wow, you discovered the secret of eternal youth!

wow .. still defensive. In bold red no less.

"Ok,  psychoanalyzing again!" .. yes .. again. Because you are so defensive against being psychoanalyzed. See, you need to  read more carefully.

You are defensive about "asking not to be psycholoanalyzed", not about arguing if you can see pass the MMO label. That is two different things. Can you see the difference?

Definitely on a ROLL Narius.

First statement that is incorrect as in I never said!

1.Narius: The OP's problem is that he cannot see pass the "MMO" label. As he said, he enjoyed many SP RPGs.(A LIE, as well as opinion xpowderx, never said anything like that about SP RPGs)

That is the first statement by you, Which as I pointed out with yellow highlights what was really said in a earlier post. Which contradicts and thoroughly disintigrates your opinions/accusations.

Now here we are. After Lying about what xpowderx said would you not expect someone to be somewhat defensive. If you made a statement concerning that person which is not true? Anyone with any logic would be cautious.

Now to another lie Narius that you just mentioned in your newest post.

Narius:You are defensive about "asking not to be psycholoanalyzed", not about arguing if you can see pass the MMO label. (Another mis-perception and another lie)

Notice Narius. I have not asked anywhere in any of my posts to not be psychoanalyzed. That is you playing Miss Cleo again!

So lets take the time to see what Narius is doing. He is either playing the role of a sensless and utter disgusting troll. Or he has issues with communication and reality.. I would like to believe the latter.

Narius, trying to troll a troll who was once King is not a very wise idea on your part. You are lucky I am in such a playful mood :-)

And now we know why some mmorpg games have horrible communities. With people that have such a lack of reality. It is a wonder anyone can coherently chat in a game.

Notice Narius. I have not asked anywhere in any of my posts to not be psychoanalyzed. That is you playing Miss Cleo again!

And now we know why some mmorpg games have horrible communities. With people that have such a lack of reality. It is a wonder anyone can coherently chat in a game.

wow ... you lied about what you said just a few posts after you said it?

You said, and i quote "Please do not try to psychoanalyze me". It was just a few post back. Do you have amensia? And if you have a problem finding your own quote, it is on post #5, first sentence.

Are you so defensive that you even trying to disavow what you have posted yourself? BTW, you are just showing everyone that you are even more defensive with each post. Good job!

BTW, i don't play games for community.

Originally posted by Gorwe

Idk narius.

But I share your opinion sometimes. Sometimes I just don't feel like walking the Long Mile like in Skyrim. That's when D3 comes in handy. Especially in Hardcore mode. Neh. Gotta buy it.

And nothing wrong with preferences. It's like arguing whether one should like a blond girl. Piontless really.

I agree. It is just preferences.

But that is what forums are for, right. Everyone stating their own preferences, and convincing no one else. There is a point though. It is fun.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

image Well played.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Am I getting too old for mmorpgs? I often wonder about that. I have been playing mmorpgs since 1998. Have a long list, have hundreds of different characters. But in this year 2013. I find mmos lacking. Do not get me wrong. I believe for other players mmos may be fun, still have some excitement. But for me, I find our current mmos on the market boring, dull and repetitive.I currently play Wizard 101 and Pirate101. While I know many of you may laugh at that notion(You know , a kids game). Both of those titles make theme park mmos at least funny. So I get some limited enjoyment from them. Now that everyone knows how low I took my standards, or actually how high(As both of those titles beat out 95% of all the mmos on this sites game list). I also have moved back to a favorite past time. Playing some very good RPGs!As of late I find my single player RPGs more fun than the majority of mmos. I am hooked on Kingdom of Amalur, also do some Skyrim. You know you have hit rock bottom when you find rpgs more fun than a supposedly good mmo!  Playing a rpg is a great alternative to playing a hyped up half as good mmorpg that seems to circle around the web these days.While some reading this may think I am off my rocker. Really I am not. I am actually looking forward to one mmo title. EQNEXT peaks my interest. It definitely is not a GW2 clone, a WOW clone or (place your mmo here) clone. In my view EQNEXT offers a step above the current generation of mmos.So in my off-time. I sit , wait, play games that can just keep me occupied with a limited amount of fun.  So my question I would like to ask all of you. Are any of you at this same state as me? Its not burnout. As I still want to play a mmo. Rather , its sheer boredom of what mmos are currently.Thanks for reading!

Wait so you go from Pirate 101 to Skyrim and then wonder wtf?

Originally posted by Foomerang

Am I getting too old for mmorpgs? I often wonder about that. I have been playing mmorpgs since 1998. Have a long list, have hundreds of different characters. But in this year 2013. I find mmos lacking. Do not get me wrong. I believe for other players mmos may be fun, still have some excitement. But for me, I find our current mmos on the market boring, dull and repetitive.

I currently play Wizard 101 and Pirate101. While I know many of you may laugh at that notion(You know , a kids game). Both of those titles make theme park mmos at least funny. So I get some limited enjoyment from them. Now that everyone knows how low I took my standards, or actually how high(As both of those titles beat out 95% of all the mmos on this sites game list). I also have moved back to a favorite past time. Playing some very good RPGs!

As of late I find my single player RPGs more fun than the majority of mmos. I am hooked on Kingdom of Amalur, also do some Skyrim. You know you have hit rock bottom when you find rpgs more fun than a supposedly good mmo!  Playing a rpg is a great alternative to playing a hyped up half as good mmorpg that seems to circle around the web these days.

While some reading this may think I am off my rocker. Really I am not. I am actually looking forward to one mmo title. EQNEXT peaks my interest. It definitely is not a GW2 clone, a WOW clone or (place your mmo here) clone. In my view EQNEXT offers a step above the current generation of mmos.

So in my off-time. I sit , wait, play games that can just keep me occupied with a limited amount of fun.  So my question I would like to ask all of you. Are any of you at this same state as me? Its not burnout. As I still want to play a mmo. Rather , its sheer boredom of what mmos are currently.

Thanks for reading!

Wait so you go from Pirate 101 to Skyrim and then wonder wtf?

Actually went from Rift to Pirate101. Also every once in a blue moon play EVE. But you can only do so much in EVE. I still am recovering from the 333 B ISK Wormhole POS loss incurred from Tabitha :-) and co.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Actually went from Rift to Pirate101. Also every once in a blue moon play EVE. But you can only do so much in EVE. I still am recovering from the 333 B ISK Wormhole POS loss incurred from Tabitha :-) and co.

Right on. I personally feel that console games overall offer better quality gaming experiences than pc mmorpgs. There are a handful of primarily console only developers that put pc mmo devs to shame. That being said, mmorpgs are currently the only genre that has persistent player driven economies in an online virtual world. That alone is really why I play these games. Any other aspects of mmos, consoles generally do better.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

So my question I would like to ask all of you. Are any of you at this same state as me? Its not burnout. As I still want to play a mmo. Rather , its sheer boredom of what mmos are currently.

Thanks for reading!

That's just the best wording of the changes we've been seeing the last 5 years in the MMO scene. Players (well, the majority) want to have lots of solo-content and want to get through it fast. When this majority has played through a MMORPG in 1 to 2 months, they hop to the next MMORPG that's about to come out.

The new generation of MMO players it no longer the loyal one that sticks for year after year to one or two MMORPGs. Instead they treat the MMO like any other single-player console game. Play through the content, bitch at level cap about the lack of content and then hop to the next game that peeks their interest. Sadly, developers see the need to cater to this new generation :'(

Personally I'd love to see a new MMORPG to be launched that I can stick with for the coming year or 2 (or more), but so far there's not been one that even had the slightest hint of the developers to get a 'long-term' commitment from their players. The only one I see myself playing for a long period of time is FFXIV:ARR, and only because of the many classes you can level, but even for that one I fear that level cap per class is reached quickly...