Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about returning to WoW, expansion predictions?

strattacstrattac Member UncommonPosts: 22
With the trailer for the new raid on orgrimmar out, it really drew my attention to the game again. but the reason for this post is i want to know your opinions on what will be included in the new expansion. im hoping for updated character models and animations, and a full change of the class system, i know its a lot to hope for and they most likely wont do it, but id like to see the class system be reverted back to the way it used to be, i want more unique class builds, i want my destruction warlock to be different than my fire mage. there is a lot of hate for the game on these forums, so please no flaming. what are you guys hoping to see added to the game and or fixed? what are your predicitions for the new expansion?

Comments

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Nine year old game is nine years old. 

The game is dying and there's nothing Blizzard can do about it. Veteran players are leaving in droves, and new players aren't interested.

Prediction for next xpac, even more lost subs. People just don't care about this game anymore.

• KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626

you basically expect a brand new game?

there is a 7 day trial for mists of pand

i just tried it and its the same old crap. skill trees got a reboot, but its still the same old crap, there are so many f2p mmos out there that offer so much more than this game does.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I'm not sure about how long Blizzard is planning on running WoW.  If I had to guess though, the last expansion will bring back Sargeras, and he'll destroy the entire Warcraft Universe, or try.  If they want, it could still be destroyed but not completely, and life starts anew, for WC4 or Titan.  We'll learn that everything from Ragnaros to Garrosh was a ruse to keep our eyes off what Sargeras is planning.  He pulled the strings behind all the bosses, and has finally built up enough strength, and an army.  To destroy everyone and everything.  I know you're thinking, but we already have The Burning Crusade.  True, but it wasn't lead by Sargeras himself.

I believe that Titan was postponed and put on the back burner because Blizzard was planning on making it as a WoW replacement.  With over 7 million subs left, they aren't just going to drop WoW for a new game.  So they had to start over and redo everything, since it was like 5 years old or something by now.  When Chris Metzen (I think it was him) said that Titan would not compete with WoW for players, he hinted at it being a replacement for WoW.  Most people thought it was because it would be something totally different, as to not compete.

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I'm not sure about how long Blizzard is planning on running WoW.  If I had to guess though, the last expansion will bring back Sargeras, and he'll destroy the entire Warcraft Universe, or try.  If they want, it could still be destroyed but not completely, and life starts anew, for WC4 or Titan.  We'll learn that everything from Ragnaros to Garrosh was a ruse to keep our eyes off what Sargeras is planning.  He pulled the strings behind all the bosses, and has finally built up enough strength, and an army.  To destroy everyone and everything.  I know you're thinking, but we already have The Burning Crusade.  True, but it wasn't lead by Sargeras himself.

I believe that Titan was postponed and put on the back burner because Blizzard was planning on making it as a WoW replacement.  With over 7 million subs left, they aren't just going to drop WoW for a new game.  So they had to start over and redo everything, since it was like 5 years old or something by now.  When Chris Metzen (I think it was him) said that Titan would not compete with WoW for players, he hinted at it being a replacement for WoW.  Most people thought it was because it would be something totally different, as to not compete.

Regarding how story may end you may be right (or close to it). Although I doubt that Titan is planned really as a replacement for WoW. If it was then they would com up also with solution for another problem which is how to make sure that when player leaves WoW they move to Titan and stay there for another few years. I'm afraid that the easiest three paths would be to:

- damage WoW with more MoP's and release Titan in vanilla WoW spirit - risky path as for many players it still very likely would be just more of the same
    - damage WoW with more MoP's so players don't look back but still consider Blizzard to be a solid company. Release Titan as something totally new as in giving completely new experience - unlikely to happen as there will always be someone to say "I've been there, I've done this"
    - do previous strategy but add to it new target. WoW was targeted at one generation. With Blizzard's expectations regarding Titan and it's performance for decades Titan possibly will be targeted to younger generation than WoW was (WoW's main target were ppl remembering Warcraft 1 and 2, and playing WC3)

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

I believe I read somewhere that Blizzard was still planning on putting out at LEAST 2 more expansions for WoW.  So I don't think the next expansion will have something to do with the end of WoW.

As for what I think the next expansion will have.  A lot of people believe that the Emerald Dream is a likely possibility.  Some people though have been expecting that since Wrath though.  

One thing is for sure though, when they announce the next expansion at Blizzcon this year (not IF, but WHEN) they had better do a few things to make the game more appealing to the gaming crowd in today's world.  Because it's losing subs fast.  Some of these things are:

A total graphics overhaul:  I think we are all tired of seeing the eyesore that this game has become.  The old graphics engine has worked for almost a decade now, it's time for an update, I think everybody can agree on this.  If this game wants to compete with the brand new shiny MMORPG's that are coming out, this has GOT to happen.  This includes new character models and tons more battle animations.

Outland needs to change:  Many players, including myself, feel that Outland is the most cringe worthy part of leveling up a new character.  And that's not to say that it wasn't good content, it's just that it hasn't changed in a long time, since the launch of Burning Crusade.  Now that Cataclysm changed the old world into a manageable leveling experience, and Wrath isn't quite old enough to be annoying just yet, Outland needs to be tweaked a bit so this part of the game isn't so awful to experience.

Spring cleaning of the abilities:  There are WAAAAY too many abilities in this game.  Passive and Active included.  I was looking through my abilities as my warrior, and half the abilities are passives that could just be woven into the description of the ability that they affect.  Most of these abilities are a by product of the now scrapped talent tree system.  Get rid of them, or weave them into the actives.  Also, our active abilities are becoming too numerous as well, and I cringe to think what our bars are going to look like at level 95 or 100.  Yikes.

These are just a few I can think of right now.  But yeah that graphics one is my main prediction of the upcoming expansion announcement.  I really think, they realize that they are going to have to update the engine in order to compete with upcoming MMO's.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

The "hate" is due to all the changes that turned a game from 12 million more or less happy players, to 7.7 million not very happy players.

New expansion is suppose to have an influx of activity, with leveling zones populated and raids/groups being formed all the time. If you get a group request in trade chat now, it's usually a cross-realm group with all the problems of one. Any sense of realm community is gone, the game resembles a LFG at the interaction level...without the benefits of a warm bodies available.

Blizzard's idea is that you'll take introverts and make them extroverts and the game will automatically come to life again. That doesn't happen. When folks do try to get groups together we don't have the tools to keep trolls and 4chan types out (our ignore lists are capped, as the game becomes more and more realm merged). It just takes one troll to ruin the group, and the frustration it causes keeps people from forming them.

So the next expansion really needs some quality of life fixes, not more class or "Moar raids!!!". It's not like we're wanting of things to do, it's things to do together without the rift raft (and no guilds don't solve that issue, so many groups now are cross-realm not only in a guild...as even the 800 member guilds can't get 10 people to raid regularly).

5.4 will virtually merge 10 or so realms together, but we still don't have the tools to welcome the changes. It's needed or we'll face all the problems seen with the Galleon and early LFR.

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

Just join Guild Wars 2 tbh. It's a similar theme, MUCH more modern, has epic pvp and without all the on-going screwups of Blizzard. Plus it's free forever after you buy a cd-key.