Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Poll) The "parkour" movement

AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

Do you all like this system? You automatically jump over objects, climb short walls, etc.

Myself, I'd much rather have the controls to do these things myself. I like controlling my character myself, and really don't like the idea of the game taking that away from me.

What do you think?

Once upon a time....

Comments

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491
    If it saves me from being stuck on a 9 inch step, I love it !

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I actually can't wait to see my friend Vidalia parkour herself out of Kelethin and onto the ground.   It will be far more entertaining for me, I'm sure.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359

When I read the title I thought "Oh God, someone isn't really going to think it is a bad thing are they?".

I see absolutely no negatives here. You still move yourself, you are still in full control. You can still jump when you want, turn left, turn right, sit, stand....you know what, I don't want to waste more time on this.

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323
    I like the parkour system, but they better make it fluid because in the demo, it wasn't looking all the great.
  • SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

I haven't seen it in action, so I would rather not vote, however, if you mean do I want to see ONLY ONE animation to everything (press spacebar and jump), then the answer is a resounding NO!

Anything that adds more choice and animation is better in my book. If the world is completely destroyable like they have stated, then there are going to be many terrain differences, and at that point, you only have 2 choices for a manual transition: either you act as if there is nothing there and you want up the gradient... or you press the spacebar and perform the jump.

And just in case you are referring to a hybrid system where when an unwalkable obstacle is in your way, you just completely stop until you press a button... I have always felt that took away from immersion, and having my character automatically KNOW what to do, is a plus in my book.

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

dont realy care bout it but why not have it as an option to turn the auto parkour on/off?

in that way both sets of player could get what they want

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by SelfDestructPro
    I like the parkour system, but they better make it fluid because in the demo, it wasn't looking all the great.

I got the feeling in the demo that some were really well done and others not so much...could be just like at release or they could fine tune the lackluster ones. I believe...the side jump over the short log was one of the weaker ones...I actually liked the sliding down the slope face one, as generally in any mmo I have ever played I have found myself trying to fall quickly down a slope face but not so far that I die...

SPEAK  OF, did anyone notice the huge distance they fell during the demo into one of the lower layers? I am assuming they either

a) Don't have fall damage, or have it greatly reduced from what many MMO's use.

b) had it turned off for the demo.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well yes it would be  probably that much better controlling it yourself,but maybe not.

You see one thing that bothers me playing games ANY genre is having to press too many buttons,i hate being all over the keyboard.I think it is good enough to at least give the effect,it adds to realism and i approve of it :D.

I like when games do those little things to add more to a game.Sometimes developers will BS their way from cutting corners by trying to tell us they did something for us the gamer.This is not one of those times,this is added effort and it always brings a smile to my face when i see devs putting in some effort.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by Amaranthar

Do you all like this system? You automatically jump over objects, climb short walls, etc.

Myself, I'd much rather have the controls to do these things myself. I like controlling my character myself, and really don't like the idea of the game taking that away from me.

What do you think?

I agree with you I would rather have control. Imagine your walking along a cliff with a fence accidentally press against the fence and there you go plummeting to your death. image  Also I find it cool that more and more MMOs are announcing this I believe Black Desert was the first "Next Gen" MMO to implement this. Man with all these great MMOs coming out in the next few years we are all going to either be really poor or have to miss our on some great stuff.

Also even if there is no death from falling it would still suck having to walk back up to where you were.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Originally posted by Shauneepeak
    Originally posted by Amaranthar

What do you think?

I agree with you I would rather have control. Imagine your walking along a cliff with a fence accidentally press against the fence and there you go plummeting to your death. image  Also I find it cool that more and more MMOs are announcing this I believe Black Desert was the first "Next Gen" MMO to implement this. Man with all these great MMOs coming out in the next few years we are all going to either be really poor or have to miss our on some great stuff.

Also even if there is no death from falling it would still suck having to walk back up to where you were.

You should be able to hop down on the rocks sticking out, and that should be game play to land on the rocks. At least, in my opinion.

I remember the days when the "jump button" was a big deal. Now players don't want to bother with controlling their own character?

Once upon a time....

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621
    I have been wanting (waiting for) parkour movement in MMORPGs for awhile now.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I really, really like the ledge hop and slide down. I wasn't digging the double jump though, seemed hokey to me.
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I like it, but not what I seen in the demo/reveal. The body just kinda tilted up, there was no real sense of weight and movement. Thats why they carefully edited out the furry vaulting over the same set of rocks.

Dont right it could look awesome.

Done wrong (the way it was shown) and it looks like shit.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350

What I think looks really out of place is the double-jumping. C'mon that's a mechanic from Jump 'n Runs. Having double-jumping means throwing basic laws of physics overboard.

At least change the animation in a way that it does not look like they are jumping off in mid-air.

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    yes i like the parkour system but not the way it is done in EQN. I prefer it more like Assassins Creed did, basically the same thing but i have to jump over the obstacle to trigger that parkour animation or wall climbing. I controll when to go over the ledge, if i want to stay hanging on one side i can do it. THats how they need to do it. They are doing a loot of stuff with that game so they can definitelly do that.

• arbacusarbacus Member UncommonPosts: 41
    I like the parkour but I do not want it automated it should be something players should have to master themselves

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    If they can get it as fluid and detailed as assassins creed by the time it releases it will be awsome.
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Such control automation makes me think that it's really a cross platform mechanic to help with play on tablets, consoles, laptops, and other varied devices. Games need to be more accessible to a variety of players actually playing through a variety of means and on some form of equal footing while doing so. The desktop PC has and even the console is losing their place as the primary means of playing and the other platform options are not so versatile or dedicated which leads to a lot of people complaining about the simplification or dumbing down of the genre just as much as considerations for a more casual player base do. Good, bad, and indifferent it is what it is and I am not sure I care what they come up with to account for the issues as long as its fun to play.
  • McShwangusMcShwangus Member Posts: 7
    Parkour rofl... It's up the list of embarrassing nonsense. I have trouble seeing the word without cringing a little. Maybe they can add some "steampunk" elements too.
  • StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

IMO I'd like both. 

Kind of AC style, where you can jump and do everything you want but also just hold a button while running to enter parkour mode and jump/vault over objects and climb things. 

Also I really hope they fix up the animations. When the female vaulted over that little rock thing it looked so weird, had no weight behind the jump and it was so quick, it was like her body weighed nothing and the animation played for like 0.5 seconds, no animation blending or anything.

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501
    I like it if its a replacement for manual jumping, climbing etc. and as long as its not an excuse to put zones withing invis walls and rails. As a combat mechanic that replaces manual jumping it would possibly deter a certain player base. 
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by McShwangus
    Parkour rofl... It's up the list of embarrassing nonsense. I have trouble seeing the word without cringing a little. Maybe they can add some "steampunk" elements too.

So things like climbing and realistic interaction with the environment is a bad thing?

• McShwangusMcShwangus Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Originally posted by McShwangus

So things like climbing and realistic interaction with the environment is a bad thing?

Double jumping is a realistic interaction? a zone full of people "parkouring" does sounds hilariously awful though. They had this thing called the jump button in eq1. They had another one that made you duck. Between the two it seemed to work out ok...

• munx4555munx4555 Member Posts: 169

Don't see a downside to it personally, makes moving around more fluid, potentially more fun and you won't end up looking stupid running against a fence.

Personally I am most intrested in the levitation boots and stuff like that, reminds me of jboots and such from eq1, bringing back cool effects to item = awesome!