Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[General Article] WildStar: Revenue Model Revealed

Comments

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Rochester, NYPosts: 231Member Uncommon

Actually, I wasn't very interested in this game at all, until I read this announcement.  Finally a high quality non fantasy MMO where all the F2P only scrubs are weeded out.

Since everyone is making predictions: I predict it will be a couple of years before this game goes F2P.  By then I'll be bored of it anyways so I won't matter either way to me.

Now back to your regularly scheduled arguments on the faults of the P2P system.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• TehTicTehTic Colorado Springs, COPosts: 34Member
    Simply put whether you like or dislike the payment model, this will be all overlooked depending on how sticky the game is!! And in my opinion is well thought out as Carbine makes decisions, for once I'm sure this MMO will satisfy most everyone. A good example of how  carbine works is, a person sent  $20 to Firefall for access to Wildstar Beta. The $20 was returned from Wildstar with unique artwork from carbine art studio, another classy situation was when beta notes were leaked and only the people not standing up to the  NDA  had  access to the information, Carbine chose to release patch notes to everyone. Quite honestly I cannot wait for the game the launch and there seems to be a little bit of a setback with circuitboard crafting. I guess self-proclaimed fan boy of  Wildstar. Go-go Carbine
  • PanzerbasePanzerbase Chicago, ILPosts: 423Member
    If the game is good then the payment system will work, enough with this nonsense. 
  • shantidevashantideva bongholmPosts: 186Member
    1 year +- 5 months before the go the same route as Swtor and Tsw...shrewd p2p to f2p business model.

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• shantidevashantideva bongholmPosts: 186Member
    Originally posted by Asamof

There goes all my interest for the game!!

Guess Carbine DOES want that embarrassing countdown to F2P conversion. Sad.

Yeah..but it makes them the green so..

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer RomePosts: 557Member Uncommon

Thank goodness, finally a game worth playing without p2w, freeloaders and cash shop. 

Thank you, Carbine. 

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• DerrosDerros Posts: 1,077Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

Thank goodness, finally a game worth playing without p2w, freeloaders and cash shop. 

Thank you, Carbine. 

umm, you can basically buy in game currency with money...Of course there is always the possibility that in game money wont be that important.

• nanoentitynanoentity Marathon, FLPosts: 8Member
    Lets see

Standard Box: $59.99

Subscription Fee
    1 Month 14.99
    3 Months 41.97
    6 Months 77.94
    12 Months 131.88

C.R.E.D.D.
    $19.99

PAY 2 WIN! (Diablo 3 RMAH) (9000 Gold Farmers in coming...)
    In game AH to sell and buy in-game gold for REAL MONEY!

Microtransaction Purchases
    Planned for later date.... Yeah $$$$$...

Now how fraking stupid do they think people are, moooo cash cows (yes you), this game will not last long at all.... Basically your throwing at least $200 USD away for a game that will go Free 2 Play in a year.

Signature...

• PrecusorPrecusor PalmaPosts: 4,733Member Uncommon
    Edit: deleted.
  • ethionethion Clearwater, FlPosts: 2,878Member Uncommon

Gotta say I like it.  I'm so tired of F2P games where they are always nit picking you for everything in game.  Oh want a bag? $20.  Want to add another character slot, $20.  Whoa 15 slots in the bank not enough add another 15 only $20.  Want to reskin your armor with another set?  You guessed it $20.....

Seems like now days F2P games are costing you more to play and P2P.  Then there is the quality angle.  Most F2P games are not innovative and not very good.  Slap some graphics a few quests and a couple features and you got a new MMO.  Maybe I've become synical but quality seems to be all about flash and not about content.  

The good news is what I've read on wildstar it sounds like they are looking to make quality important and to actually setup a model where they are going to put it on the line and earn my monthly subscription.  They want to keep me by delivering me monthly services at a reasonable rate...

Free is too good to be true and I'm tired of countless lackluster free games...

Now I will exclude GW2 at least so far it seems like a good game.

---
    Ethion

• killion81killion81 A City, MIPosts: 985Member Uncommon

I don't understand how everyone knows that Wildstar will be a bad enough game that it WILL go F2P.  It's not like F2P is where the money is at.  Guild Wars 2 is bringing in significantly less revenue quarter after quarter and it doesn't really show signs of going back up.  A great game will easily succeed with a sub model.  $15 monthly is not much of a barrier to entry and if you really can't afford that, hopefully you have enough time to farm out in game cash to buy your sub that way.

F2P is not "the future of the industry".  F2P is the future (and present) of mediocre games that can't support a decent player base while charging a sub.  NCSoft is publishing Wildstar.  I'm pretty sure they are aware of the advantages/disadvantages of the B2P or F2P model.  Why?  Because they have other games that offer those models and if you refuse to pay a sub, you can always play those other games.  :)

• KratierKratier Riverton, NJPosts: 71Member

i was right, lol

i knew it all along from all the bullshit talk from the executives

and their big "talk up" of how much it cost to produce this mmo, hilarious, all f2p games have similar development funds, just NCsoft knows full well in advance that western audiences are dumb enough to throw down 60 bucks on a whim.

good luck with your failed mmo, the leaked beta footage shows for itself, its going to fail and nobody will miss it

• RateroRatero Tallassee, ALPosts: 337Member Uncommon

This alone would want me to pick up this game.

Thank you for this type of subscription model. :D

Ratero.

• lafaiellafaiel harrisburg, PAPosts: 93Member
    Kudos to them for going sub, hope the do well, thats two big name MMO's now that announced subs, I'll be playing FFXIV: ARR myself as i don't really care for the wildstar look, and I will never play another game that has anything to do with NCsoft, but I hope Carbine does well.
  • SeariasSearias Edmonton, ABPosts: 712Member Uncommon
    Nice, will play this game now :).

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 3,592Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by observer
    I'm surprised some of you are praising the subscription model.  You're deluding yourselves if you think a sub. game gives more quality.  Tell me this, how many mmos have you quit within the first mmo of trying them out?  Did you complain about end-game?  If so, shouldn't the subscription model provide the quality for end-game?  Exactly.

The delusion comes from those who expect something for nothing.  A steady revenue stream helps the company project its needs into the future, and thus allows better content generation.   Notice I said *allows*, not mandates.  Yoshi P made a very compelling argument in favor of subscriptions.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/17/final-fantasy-online-director-defends-monthly-subscriptions-in-the-golden-age-of-free-to-play-exclusive/

As for the other, if you have nothing invested in a game, its a lot easier to just leave and chase after the next F2P shiny that comes along (and the next, and the next, and the next...).  But given the current ADD generation and its well known short attention span, and thus low skill ceiling, thats only to be expected.  But lets not encourage such antics, when it can be avoided.

Wild Star isn't going for a steady revenue stream. They are trying to go for a cash grab.

a B2P boxed fee

a P2P subscription Fee

a real money transaction option

Talk about double dipping.

They probably know all to well, they can't sustain that indefinitely. and will alter the boxed fee or the sub fee or implement a Cash Shop at some point.

If this game turns out to have an awesome endgame, I'd be willing to pay the $60, I'd pay the $15/mo. But I pull the breaks on RMT.

Cash grab? You do realize that the major reason for this exercise is to make a profit on the MASSIVE investment, that these games cost to create?  They are simply using what until recent years had been the traditional western business model. The addition of the CREDD is to shoot the gold sellers in the wallet.  It provides those who have little patience with a safer in game method of gaining in game currency.

That does several things. One, it cuts down on the number of accounts that get subverted by people visiting dodgy sites, and also makes it less profitable for gold sellers. That also keeps the staff time/talent required to deal with related customers complaints down.

As for the other, no one is forcing you (or anyone else) to use the RMT system.  But it does address the reality that most such companies face, in regards to the farming and selling of in game currency.

• PrecusorPrecusor PalmaPosts: 4,733Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

Thank you, Carbine. 

I dont know about that.. f2p players will be farming our gold because of CREDD.

• Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

11 pages of discussion so far on a post that basically said "Wildstar will require a subscription."

I love it. :D

No discussion necessary as far as I'm concerned.  My interest in the game may have fallen away, but it will be B2P one day, that's almost a guarantee.  I'll give it a shot then.  I commend them on no cash shops, though.

• FonclFoncl UppsalaPosts: 197Member
    Sounds good, it remains to be seen what can be obtained via CREDD though. Subscription model is definitely the way to go imo, give me a good game without the option to pay for power/advancement and I'll gladly pay a subscription.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairPosts: 5,590Member Uncommon
    I'm surprised some of you are praising the subscription model.  You're deluding yourselves if you think a sub. game gives more quality.  Tell me this, how many mmos have you quit within the first mmo of trying them out?  Did you complain about end-game?  If so, shouldn't the subscription model provide the quality for end-game?  Exactly.

The delusion comes from those who expect something for nothing.  A steady revenue stream helps the company project its needs into the future, and thus allows better content generation.   Notice I said *allows*, not mandates.  Yoshi P made a very compelling argument in favor of subscriptions.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/17/final-fantasy-online-director-defends-monthly-subscriptions-in-the-golden-age-of-free-to-play-exclusive/

As for the other, if you have nothing invested in a game, its a lot easier to just leave and chase after the next F2P shiny that comes along (and the next, and the next, and the next...).  But given the current ADD generation and its well known short attention span, and thus low skill ceiling, thats only to be expected.  But lets not encourage such antics, when it can be avoided.

Wild Star isn't going for a steady revenue stream. They are trying to go for a cash grab.

a B2P boxed fee

a P2P subscription Fee

They probably know all to well, they can't sustain that indefinitely. and will alter the boxed fee or the sub fee or implement a Cash Shop at some point.

If this game turns out to have an awesome endgame, I'd be willing to pay the $60, I'd pay the $15/mo. But I pull the breaks on RMT.

Cash grab? You do realize that the major reason for this exercise is to make a profit on the MASSIVE investment, that these games cost to create?  They are simply using what until recent years had been the traditional western business model. The addition of the CREDD is to shoot the gold sellers in the wallet.  It provides those who have little patience with a safer in game method of gaining in game currency.

That does several things. One, it cuts down on the number of accounts that get subverted by people visiting dodgy sites, and also makes it less profitable for gold sellers. That also keeps the staff time/talent required to deal with related customers complaints down.

As for the other, no one is forcing you (or anyone else) to use the RMT system.  But it does address the reality that most such companies face, in regards to the farming and selling of in game currency.

Any 2 of those three options would still require a high quality game. But all three in one? What is this game on the level of?

Come on! It's an unknown game from an unknown developer from a known publisher. 

I'd pay the 60 bucks and the sub if they dropped the RMT. But again, all 3 in one game. Funcom tried that.

• GruugGruug Chillicothe, ILPosts: 1,311Member Uncommon

I applaud the payment model even though I will not be playing it. I have zero interest in WS. That would not change even if they offered the game "for free". To those that feel it will be a great game....good luck and hope it pans out for you.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Route 69, NDPosts: 276Member
    How is this game not P2W now?
  • funconfuncon Key West, FLPosts: 258Member
    This looks like a pretty cool game. To bad they are 10 years late.
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Jacksonville, FLPosts: 984Member Uncommon

Glad to see a game with as much hype as WildStar coming out with a sub based revenue model.  I've always been one to play a game and pay for whatever, as long as the game's fun.  I won't be playing the game right away, as it's kinda themeparky and I'm all themeparked out, but I wish the game and its followers/player base good luck. 

May the game and its subscription last for years upon years.

• WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 3,592Member Uncommon

a B2P boxed fee

a P2P subscription Fee

Any 2 of those three options would still require a high quality game. But all three in one? What is this game on the level of?

Come on! It's an unknown game from an unknown developer from a known publisher. 

I'd pay the 60 bucks and the sub if they dropped the RMT. But again, all 3 in one game. Funcom tried that.

Fortunately, this isn't Funcom... I'm PAINFULLY aware of Funcoms limitations...  But as I stated, you aren't required to use the RMT.  If its not your type of game, perhaps you can find another that suits your taste. To each their own.