Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanilla player thinking of returning

CrazyCronusCrazyCronus Member UncommonPosts: 47

I played wow in the initial days and for about a month or two the BC expansion, I am huge fun of its lore and story and loved doing its quests I also enjoyed pvp and battlegrounds.

Haven't returned to wow since then and I was thinking of making a come back.  My main question is, will I be able to experience the events that took place with each expansion, I mean will I be able to start a fresh character and follow the storyline from where I left it. Can I go and kill Ragnaros, then move to the frozen throne and fight Arthas and all the final bosses of the expansions?

Comments

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    This mechanics never changed since TBC so all previous quest lines ad raids are there. Although if you intend to go back because of your vanilla experience and how the game was back then then don't expect much. WoW can still be fun however it is not for vanilla/tbc old-timers anymore and for such players private servers often offer more fun than Blizzard ones.
  • dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    I would agree about vanilla players being better off on alternative servers. The game has been mutilated. It is so easy now, it offers no real challenge. You would be better off seeking out a vanilla server, there are many out there.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Contrary to many people's belief, the game is still quite challenging if you're in a high end guild.  You still bash your head hundreds of times against raid mobs, so that aspect hasn't changed much.

They've improved quite a bit in story telling since Cataclysm and MoP is no different.  It's a great experienced from 1-90 in a lot of ways, with 85-90 being some of the best stuff.  The only thing really "easy" about it is that they added things that are convenient since Vanilla.  Stuff like linking flight paths and such.  They may also be referring to lower levels being easier due to heirlooms and the like, which is also true.  But end game is still pretty tough; most people who don't agree probably just enter LFR and say they've done everything within WoW.

It's easy to say something is easy when you put it in "easy" mode for yourself.  Though I guess the existence of an easy mode makes a hard mode impossible?  Doesn't sound logical at all, but that seems to be the thought process of some.

In any case, the level experience is pretty great now and the end game is pretty much more of the same.  Except that dailies are a lot more important this expansion.  Many of the patch storylines rely on you grinding reputation before having access to certain things or to work for epics.  I'm not sure about 5.3 or 5.4, but before then you had to reputation grind like nine factions before you even had access to epics.  It was like trying to get access to Karazhan all over again.

As a whole it is worth the price of admission and will likely give a few months of entertainment.  Beyond that it's a matter of preference if you enjoy challenging yourself or just taking the easy route and claiming the end game is too easy.  It's something I would recommend playing both an Alliance and Horde character just to unravel things from each side's perspective and watch a land goes from peaceful and harmonious to outright war ravaged and blood soaked.  War crimes are a plenty in Pandaria, and some pretty messed up stuff happens at the end of, and after, the first zone (with each zone having a main storyline as well as side quests).

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by dreamsofwar
    I would agree about vanilla players being better off on alternative servers. The game has been mutilated. It is so easy now, it offers no real challenge. You would be better off seeking out a vanilla server, there are many out there.

Vanilla or tbc one. It's not that hard to google for one that is additionally well populated (3k+ players online on regular basis is already a decent number).

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

If you want to play a highly polished, streamlined, slightly better looking WoW, then by all means come in.

If you want to recover what you lost after vanilla was gone, stay away and run as far as you can.

WoW is a decent, good game, but claiming it still holds the vanilla essence is simply false.

• PsycheiPsychei Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

If you want to play a highly polished, streamlined, slightly better looking WoW, then by all means come in.

If you want to recover what you lost after vanilla was gone, stay away and run as far as you can.

WoW is a decent, good game, but claiming it still holds the vanilla essence is simply false.

This statement is true my wife still plays and being a vanilla guy myself it pains me to even watch her play, I do not think wow is bad, its just not what people like you and I remember wow being, and despite what others say it is easier and PvP sucks now from a vanilla mans perception. So to you sir I say stay away!!!

Edit: I should also state that I quit playing at the end of BC because it got to easy Pug: LF Healer BT then G2G!! No thank you I do not believe in pugging raids....

• bmw66bmw66 Member UncommonPosts: 141

You will have fun for about a month..........then the same old grind and gear treadmill will set in and you will quit again.

I played for a long time then quit right at the end of Wrath.  Tried it out again several months after Pandaria came out.  Made max level did some of the Raids and then said.........that's it I have had enough its still the endless grind.

Totally uninstalled it and will not go back.

I'm not bashing the game and there are still a lot of people who like it.......but it's still the same old treadmill and just not for me anymore.

• CrazyCronusCrazyCronus Member UncommonPosts: 47

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to decide whether to play or not with my friend who is also a vanilla wow player.

I've been in the sandbox side of mmos the last 4 years and due to heavy studies and work I had to quit Eve and Darkfall and since then I've been looking for a well polished theme park, that is why I am thinking of World of Warcraft, I love the lore and the world, according to your posts its going to be tricky, I will most likely give vanilla dedicated servers a look, but I also want to know how the world has changed.  

• PsycheiPsychei Member Posts: 148
    A Well polished theme park, have you considered FF14?
  • CrazyCronusCrazyCronus Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Psychei
    A Well polished theme park, have you considered FF14?

I tried it but couldn't get into it, I disliked the races, and the males were hardly male :)
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Why not get a scroll of ressurection to try it out for some days?

I do agree that the game lacks the soul of vanilla.

However, being a teenager back then, and having a full time job and a family today, I am actually glad that I can spend time on other things than WoW.

Back then, it was a choice between WoW and no real life or the other way around. Today it is possible to have both.

Dont play it hardcore.

Some hours a day.

Theres not enough content to just play 24/7 like back then.

Can be fine for some, bad for others.

PvP is a mess now, big unbalance. Blizzard do not seem to care much.

If you PuG, you can do the raids pretty fast. If you go ith a premade, they are harder and more rewarding.