Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion or Tera

StyxaStyxa Member UncommonPosts: 76

Hi folks,

I am from Europe, atm playing WoW but I need something different to play besides Azeroth :)

Want something asia/anime like and the options seem to be Tera and Aion. Want to play as a healing class, like to play pve and pvp and the game should be more or less populated :)

Any opinions wich game has better endgame and pvp and so on?

Comments

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Both are good choices :flips a coin: coins says Aion

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Wow... well that is a hard choice. Both are great games in their own ways. Aion itself is a bit more solid in terms of its design, I feel being stronger then Tera in many areas though. It just had better quests and the likes, though grinding you will be pushed to do further in might detract you (granted people feel quests are grinding now a days so it might not be). Aion has great combat for its time, I feel better then WoW only really falling behind do to the reluctance of western gamers for playing it due to where it came from, otherwise I'd say it probably would of beat out WoW (much like it did in the east being top dog there for years).

On the other hand, as nice as Aion's combat is, Tera by far wins on that edge. Tera has the superior combat system, focusing on action combat and doing it right. Its a model for action combat I feel others should try and follow, doing so much right in making it feel both engaging and very rewarding. That being said, it might not be for everyone, being a lot more challenging then most MMOs, having any action you do both have good but also bad, meaning you can use an ability that will pretty much lock you, forcing you to use up a dodge or other ability to break it costing you. 

I would say... play both! Both are amazing games with incredible F2P models. 

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Aren't both of those games made by that one publisher that everyone hates? frogster or something?

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Xirik
    Aren't both of those games made by that one publisher that everyone hates? frogster or something?

Not made but published (GameForge now BTW) - quite a difference...

@OP When you pick either one game, play it on the US servers. Those are way better than the GameForge ones. Not to mention, GameForge is always behind on major updates for their games. With luck you'll be able to play Aion 4.0 there while it's been in the US for 7 weeks already...

• StyxaStyxa Member UncommonPosts: 76

Ive got access to vet. accounts in both games so restrictions by gameforge arent realy the big deal :)

• A1D3NA1D3N Member UncommonPosts: 276
    id say tera personaly

Currently Playing:
    ...... :(

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I never played it but I'd go with Tera....I thought Aion was awful.
  • SacriaSacria Member Posts: 53
    never played aion but its one of the more popular mmos tera is good but the enchanting is so bad and stupid that you will most likely want to quit when you hit max level, but tera with a decent enchanting system would probably be the best mmorpg you could get currently.
  • VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Originally posted by A1D3N
    id say tera personaly

I think I would too just because it has the best action combat out of the action style MMORPGs (IMO) so it'd be something slightly different. I've long recommended my MMORPG friends try TERA, especially since it went F2P, just to check out the combat because it is very enjoyable.  I wouldn't say it's better, it's just different, and it's a nice twist and something else cool to enjoy in the MMORPG sphere.  The questing is as generic as it gets but the instances are pretty solid.

If you ever wanted to RP a 6 year old girl who's parents force them to do child beauty pageants and dress them up way too much then TERA is for you, just play an elin.  I could say more but I'd probably get put in time out for a while.

Both games are pretty in their own way and both have somewhat contained invisible barrier corridor style zones that have little exploration value and less of an open feel than zones in WoW (to me at least.

Aion has elite areas kind of like what WoW had before GC eviscerated it and turned into a game for one armed monkey newborn.  TERA has BAMS.  In either case the content is there for groups but you can do it above level solo in Aion sometimes or you can spend 20 minutes fighting one BAM solo in TERA for reasons I cannot remotely fathom since that's such a miserable thing to do that I'd rather just log off and watch the kardashians - or punch myself repeatedly.  But yo, dodging blatant telegraphs and beating up on scripted BAMs for 20 minutes each takes skill, yo.  Patience maybe.  Skill, you're delusional.

In some ways Aion is a better game but it's also a little bit more primitive than even WoW for a tab target whacamole game.  The combat and animations are a little whack - a little off - a little not quite right.  The questing is also very generic and almost LOTRO-esque for quest overload (but nothing matches LOTROs ability to make questing into an unmerciful grind).

If you want more of an open type of PvP setup that resembles prison sex you might pick Aion instead, since it has open and unavoidable PvP on all servers (bend over!) from about 25 onward.  This is something I spaced during my recent jaunt thru Aion but suddenly remembered as some ?? gimp was trying to gank me while I was blissfully questing away.  I uninstalled shortly after since I don't really care for grief-based PvP and prefer actual competition in PvP, which is why I consider ALL MMORPG to be garbage and stick to PvPing in genres that actually have real competition.  Dealing with wanna be ganker/griefers while doing otherwise mindless questing doesn't make questing more interesting to me.  It makes it profoundly annoying.  If Aion had optional PvP instead of forced PvP it'd be a considerably better game.  Options are good.

In Aion you get to fly starting at ~10 and it's very well implemented.  It's different (from WoW) in that you can only fly in bursts of time but you can gather (some stuff is only in the air) and fight in the air - it's not just for getting around.  You also don't have flying mounts, you have wings.  Like a faerie or no clue what it's supposed to be like but it's kind of looks like faeries.  Anyways.  You just hit a button and you're flying.  Except when zones randomly just don't let you fly.  Which was most of the time up til 25.

Both games have unrealistically smoking hot female avatars with all kinds of "fantasy" outfits (not necessarily Tolkien fantasy, more like ... mmmhmm... yeah).  My wife kind of rolls her eyes when she my character select screen for TERA with 8 superbabes with huge "personalities" - she's fond of saying, you know those are impossible and obviously fake.  Ah, she's such a noob.  This is alternate reality where the laws of physics and gravity don't fully apply!  Noobs are cute!  I'm married to a hottie but I still appreciate a decent representation of fine female form and would surely rather look at anything female over staring at cutesy anime looking pseudo males.

It's actually somewhat comical. In both games you could easily have a caster type female character in stilettos and an evening gown throwing down massive DD spells as if they're on a runway modeling or something.  It's an interesting take on avatars, that's for sure.

Anyways, rambling aside, both games are free to play, both have gentle F2P such that you can play for a while and not even realize there's a cash shop.  The cash shop for Aion is actually so damn dreadful that I'm not sure I could've figured out how to buy something if I even wanted to - it's an external website that looks like it was designed by kids learning HTML about 10 years ago.  Both are worth checking out.  Why not, it's just a smidge of time to create an account and download.

Personally, I'd recommend TSW over either but you have to pay a little for the box up front for that game.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• Kev1ns0nbr0Kev1ns0nbr0 Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Styxa

Ive got access to vet. accounts in both games so restrictions by gameforge arent realy the big deal :)

What is "vet."? :S

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Kev1ns0nbr0
    Originally posted by Styxa

What is "vet."? :S

Veteran account. Almost the same as lifetime subscription for those games, but some instance/dungeon cooldowns are a bit longer than those of a registered player...

• SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354

FFXIV ARR!

Its new and fresh out of the oven mmo and easy to pick up by wow players. Between Aion and Tera I would go with Tera.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• StyxaStyxa Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Thx for all your advices, I think I will go with Aion since 4.0 will hit servers next week and songweaver class seems to be pretty sweet. Although I am searching for some good old open world pvp and from what I have read Aion has got this :)