Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Nearly a Year Later

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As Guild Wars 2 nears its first anniversary, we take a moment to look back at the year that was. Check out our reflections on ArenaNet's game and then add a few of your own in the comments.

About a year ago many of us were eagerly awaiting the release of ArenaNet’s Guild Wars 2.  After years of keeping up with news, and watching trailers over and over again, the time had finally arrived.  Jump to a year later, the present.  The Queen’s Jubilee is pitting players against waves of powerful enemies, and lost envoys are being attacked by Aetherblade Pirates.  But like many other events before it, the Queen’s Jubilee will also hold a smaller event.  One that will help celebrate the release of Guild Wars 2.  This installment is called The Queen’s Speech.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Nearly A Year Later.

How would a Sylvari react after receiving a gift?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Beyond_EterniaBeyond_Eternia Member UncommonPosts: 102
    I regret taking a couple months off the game. Missed a lot of achievements. I never played the original GW until a few months ago. It's cool to go back in time with the lore. I have a long road ahead of me to get all my HoM achievements done. My extra time is occupied for sure. If anyone is willing to help with this. It would be greatly appreciated. My main name is Cormak Grimstone. I have most of the heroes. Now i am just grinding away. 

Time you enjoy wasting...is not wasted time
  • nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    I can't wait to get into the next LS with what's been happening. I have my own thoughts on what is going to happen at the next event and just want to see what they came up with to either finalize the story or what have you this will be interesting.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    GW12 is an amazing game that still needs some refinement. Combat is fun and fluid but the lack of rolls creates a game where dps alone rules. People don't run dungeons they glitch them with line os site tactics and other tedious approaches. How I miss the build versatility of GW1! If you have not played guild wars 2 I highly reccamend, but as of today I personally wonder about its longevity.
  • SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I came here to see a "realistic" view of how GW2 is 1 year down the line, and instead get a birthday post... No studies on population growth and decline, no "Its a good game, but was overhyped." No "this game is actually for aaa, instead of bbb." Nope... just advertisement for GW2 wrapped in unofficial paper.
  • ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by Sephastus
    I came here to see a "realistic" view of how GW2 is 1 year down the line, and instead get a birthday post... No studies on population growth and decline, no "Its a good game, but was overhyped." No "this game is actually for aaa, instead of bbb." Nope... just advertisement for GW2 wrapped in unofficial paper.

No no no, it seems more like you came here to see if all the things you dislike about the game would be backed up but alas, no dice.

This is not a game.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Zeroxin
    Originally posted by Sephastus

No no no, it seems more like you came here to see if all the things you dislike about the game would be backed up but alas, no dice.

^ This ^

And we will see more of that still to come too.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    ^Double this with some salt thrown in^

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    wait... no... it seems like it launched a month ago... what the hell happened to the last year? It flew by...
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    And it's going strong as ever. Population is healthy and content is steamrolling in at breakneck speed. It's one hell of a ride.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

i saw this morning a great infographic about Anet achivements and content of teh full year.

and sad to say 5% of it really spoke to me. I still love the game i just feel nothing about their releases

really have hooked me. and sure its really hard work-so cudos for that!

had you asked me a year ago today -i would have said this game will be my one and only!!!-i think you can search that in mmorpg forums somewhere!-lol

• spaniard81spaniard81 Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    And it's going strong as ever. Population is healthy and content is steamrolling in at breakneck speed. It's one hell of a ride.

It is... which is why I think the haters appear to be angrier than ever.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    The next year should really take off as well. They now have all the framework in place for the annual events, they have the Living Story teams (4 of them) on four month cycles to create each new months worth of content, more permanent content will be coming (starting with the Queen's Speech apparently) than we've been seeing... I think, as they say, "we ain't seen nothin' yet".

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TotTWriterTotTWriter Member UncommonPosts: 54

I think it should be interesting, certainly. I'm waiting with baited breath to see the shift towards more permanent Living Story content.

While I acknowledge that there are plenty of people who love the transient nature of the LS so far, it just doesn't suit my playing style at all, so I'm glad that there's the promise of change. What can I say, I've loved GW since a short while before Nightfall, but I have kids now and I don't have time to keep up with all the new stuff if it only hangs around for a little while. In 4 weeks I can usually complete the meta-achievement, but I've had to dial back on the ones which only last a fortnight. I didn't get close to completing the Cut-throat Politics stuff. 

My optimism is tinged with caution for how it all plays out. I'm comfortable with a boxed expansion model because it means it's all there permanently and I can play through at my own pace. GW1 was excellent in this regard, and the large areas added in Factions and Nightfall (and slightly less in GWEN) were amazing. I've yet to see anything approaching that with GW2, though yes, early days and all. I'm hopeful that we'll start getting more and bigger zones at some point now that the teams have 4 months to design them. I would hope that's enough to design and construct a full-size zone, even if it's somewhat empty at first. The advantage of the Living Story is that any area can be revisited and revitalised with ease.

Good things on the horizon then, assuming they can pull it off!

Reality Bites. I'm only Barking

• will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365

Does world vs world still have zero progresssion that anyone actually cares about?

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by will75

Does world vs world still have zero progresssion that anyone actually cares about?

It has progression now. Check it out and see if you like it.

This is not a game.

• LorimarLorimar Member UncommonPosts: 9
    In it since beta 1 and still loving it :D
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358

Hopefully this course correction helps gw2 out a lot, dropping significantly in sales quarter over quarter won't be tolerated by ncsoft much longer. 

Also people who talk about population growth are kidding themselves... the game has lost a ton by every metric, including the one that matters most (twitch.tv) if people aren't streaming your game that means people don't care about your game.  You can argue that twitch has very niche appeal, but it simply isn't true.... any game that is doing well finds lots of viewers on twitch. 

• moondragomoondrago Member UncommonPosts: 47
    i lost interest  after i had one  toon hit lvl 80 ..now i  still have it on my hard drive but i just  cant  bring my self  to   grind .. i mean  play it  ... oh well

its a GoOd dAy to diE !!

• WaanWaan Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Originally posted by moondrago
    i lost interest  after i had one  toon hit lvl 80 ..now i  still have it on my hard drive but i just  cant  bring my self  to   grind .. i mean  play it  ... oh well

Yeah, same here. About the moment I hit 80 it just wasn't as fun anymore. Still played for a bit, but stopped soon after.

• SplittoothSplittooth Member Posts: 6

I had lots of fun with GW2. I got a bit burned out after a 3-4 months and with a few level 80s and several in mid ranges. 

That said though I played the heck out of the game and really enjoyed it. I would like to get back in at some point I just have a hard time returning to MMOs after enough time has passed.

• milethmileth Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Originally posted by caetftl

any game that is doing well finds lots of viewers on twitch. 

any game that is doing well finds lots of players in playing the game, not twitch or any other irrelevant stuffs.

• CullandCulland Member UncommonPosts: 22
    GW2 is just PvE fluff, failed sPvP and even worse WvW. Yet another game company pissing away its potential to cater to the masses that cannot possibly be expected to be challenged by a game.
  • SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    Originally posted by Vorch
    -obnoxious infographic snip-

This hype piece really doesn't mean anything. I find it kind of inappropriate to post it here. The only thing pointless numbers without values associated to them lead to are discussions about how those numbers are pointless (and possibly inflammatory). 

Example: I'm personally offended that this heralds 14 activities introduced to the game but only 4 are playable, and only temporarily(activity rotation). Furthermore, they took the only activity that was permanent (Keg Brawl) OUT and made it temporary without acknowledgement or explanation.

@topic, I really want them to focus on Dynamic Events again and stop catering to people who only play content 'efficiently' in order to receive the next shiny asap. If they could create more awesome stories and put them in the open world zones, building a player base from the fun and stories told, I would have a much more enjoyable PvE experience. 

But I've had it up to here with the living story filler, and don't even want to participate in this Queen's Jubilee garbage. 

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

If it 's fun for you play it, you stop having fun...at least it has no darn monthly fee. It was fun in beta though I give it that.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor