Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] WildStar: Revenue Model Revealed

Comments

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    This is why I think it's the only game that will take me from FFXIV right now :P.
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    I am one of those people that will only play pay to play games. Just bought final fantasy 14 and depending on when this game comes I am sure I will pick it up
  • solarbear88solarbear88 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I give it six months.
  • soodoughsoodough Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by reploidx
    I give it about a little over a year until we get a "Freemium Hybrid subscription announced" news update. Game looks good, but I never intended to play it even if it was F2P or B2P. Rift had the same stance as this and look where they are.

Arguing that Rift struggled because of their payment model would be a false causality.  The game struggled for many reasons.

Gaffney nailed it when he said that a full-featured MMO will succeed where others did not. 

• soodoughsoodough Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by solarbear88
    I give it six months.

Thus spake the great internet seer solarbear88.

• doug200463doug200463 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by BearKnight

I've said it before, and i'll say it again. If World of Warcraft would be more successful on the "F2P" or "B2P" system it would move to those systems. Blizzard KNOWS how the game is played. Well done, high quality, products do NOT go into the F2P or B2P markets, you just don't make the same returns as P2P and you keep undesirables out.

Good on you WildStar, although you're a WoW clone I'm slightly more tempted to try you now.

....slightly

The only reason WoW is still in business is because of all the parents who use it as a babysitter.. its CHEAP entertainment for thier children.. when WoW came out it had no competition, so a Sub was easy to ask for... now that there is a million MMOs out there blizz's numbers have greatly decreased.. thats because people are finding games that are fun, and dont require a sub... people still PAY for games, but not when they have to, they pay when they want to, and that much more customer friendly... Wildstar looks awesome! and will play it when it goes free to play, wich it will.. beacuse it wont be able to compete with all the fun subscription free games... enjoy 3-6 months of a WoW like environment.. then things will start to die off.. the rollercoaster ride will get boring, and changes to the business model will be made... oh, and there is no such thing as an "undesirable" to a video game company.. everyone is a potential customer... 

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
    A game following their model will not survive under the old classic paid sub model.
  • plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

This is good news. IMO this sort of business model keeps out a lot of the casual kids....and thats got to be a good thing :)

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• AngerinaAngerina Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Nitth
    Originally posted by Angerina
    Originally posted by Scalpless

Interesting. I must say I still don't see the target audience of this game. People who want a WoW-that's-not-WoW? Is there enough of them? 

The target audience are people who played Vanilla and Burning Crusade, people who had to manage their mana, who used CC and discussed every trash mob group in heroic dungeons. The kind of players who crave a challenge, not accessibility. 

Well, apparently wildstar has none of that. so....

Their official stance is "we want people that are not currently playing an mmo or are new to the genre"

"So we’re a bit old-school.  Big ass raids.  Tough raids.  Raids you have to earn your way into beating, and raids that aren’t made so your grandma can make it through.   Sure, we can make things easier over time - but only if there are new challenges to give a tough time to the hardest of the hardcore." http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/what_is_wildstar_raids.php

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248

Yet another time I am right. Wahoo! :)

I'm glad this isn't F2P. So very glad. 

Seems I won't even be seeing 1/2 of you around, aww shucks.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I'm surprised there's so little talk about the 2014 release date delay... :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Originally posted by BillMurphy

i was always a little dubious about a 2013 release tbh

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248
    Originally posted by plescure

Ha, ha. He said "dubious."

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Wow. That is two AAA MMO's that are coming out that use the subscription model. I couldn't be happier as I despise the F2P / B2P cash shop model. There are obviously a lot of other people that feel the same way too. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Bold move by NCSoft and Carbine. They took the high risk high reward route and I hope it will pay off for them (and us players too).

The way I see it is: they have created a challenging game (call it hardcore if you like) and are very confident in their product. Easy casual theme park games and sub fee don't go well together any more

I'm having my fingers crossed for this one.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I'm going to buy and support it just for the P2P move. And to p*** off Mr. Aihoshi.

DOWN WITH F2P!!!!111 HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAARRR!

Originally posted by Psion33
    Originally posted by plescure

Ha, ha. He said "dubious."

??

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359
    noooooo no good mmo to look forward to in 2013. Wildstar and ESO together in spring 2014. zzzzz
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

Interesting. I must say I still don't see the target audience of this game. People who want a WoW-that's-not-WoW? Is there enough of them? Personally, I attribute WoW's decline in subs to people getting tired of the whole model, not the game itself.

I thought they were going to make a sub-free WoW with some nice additional features, but I guess not. Maybe I'm just not interested in the whole "quest to endgame and raid" model and don't understand what the people who are want, but... eh. Right now FFXIV seems to be a better choice for group-focused content, unless you're someone who loves raiding.

This is nonsense, FFARR is sub based for a start. Secondly. WoW's decline isn't related to to it's payment model. It is coming up to being a decade old, it has made poor choices with it's expansions and it has had to deal with increasing compitition in what is a saturated market. The only real surprise is that despite it's shortcomings WoW is still by any measure the most successful MMO out in the market in the west. Rather than being a reason for it's decline it may be a reason for it's continued success. But this is all post hoc ergo propter hoc.

However, people are willing to pay for a quality product and $10 - $15 is a small price to pay.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Angerina

Interesting. I must say I still don't see the target audience of this game. People who want a WoW-that's-not-WoW? Is there enough of them? 

The target audience are people who played Vanilla and Burning Crusade, people who had to manage their mana, who used CC and discussed every trash mob group in heroic dungeons. The kind of players who crave a challenge, not accessibility. 

I hope the game is difficult.  That may give it some hope on my radar.  However, it being a linear quest hub themepark are huge negatives.  

I don't care too much about payment model.  However, $60 and then a sub means the game better be outstanding.  You would think they would at least do $40 and a sub...$60 is way over the top.

I imagine the game will be freemium after  6 - 12 months anyway.  Being a linear quest hub themepark doesn't bod well for game longetivity.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

All I can say is F@*!@&;@ you ( to those who said that his will be F2P 10029921% ).

In other notes, I am VERY happy that WS will be P2P, like VERY. I so hate F2P games. 

About the 2014 delay? Well, I have FF XIV right now, so it's all good. Really ... all good :)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Heres the thing (Howard stern voice)

With Eve online Pay sub works.

WoW pay sub also works, but detiriating fast...why?

well beign different in the mmo market or a pioneer gives you that title togo Sub.

yes, you will have tons of people saying yay to sub-now real players will join the game etc etc...but i guarantee you it will not support the game 100%  on all 4 legs.

tons of games come and go and now that its beign pushed to 2014 along with other mmos due at that date- they have alot to compete agaisnt-including F2p and B2p.

yes, itll be awsome at first, but  your bank account wont think so.

• indr143indr143 Member Posts: 1

very bad....ppl who cant spend monthly feees cant  play it..or ppl like me who have the cash but cant pay online ...cant play it.........very bad.....

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I don't mind. It means everyone pays the same and gets the same and it filters out alot of unpleasant people you get with the f2p crowd. It's still like buying gold or w/e and hope the measures they take don't screw up the economy which it will but hey it's way better than any f2p option out there and suits me fine.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

I'm not interested in subscriptions. Bad decision.

If it were B2P or F2P i would be interested but now it's off the map.