Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking in questions for Everquest Next interview at Gamescom!

radarheadradarhead Member Posts: 3

Hello everyone, 

I am a presenter on the GameOverCast team a weekly enthusiast video gaming podcast. 

We are going to Gamescom next week and are lucky enough to get to see, and hopefully get to chat to the Devs for EQ Next in a Behind closed doors environment.

We have a bunch of questions lined up but would love to ask some directly from the fans. If you have anything you would like us to ask please could you post them in this thread and we will do our best to ask as many of them as we can. 

I will post a link to the podcast and the time where we feature the game once we get back, we will be seeing over 40 games so it may take a few shows before we feature all of them. 

If you guys fancy checking out the show, we have just put up our Pre-Gamescom special, probably worth listening too. Check it out here

Let me know what you want to know!

Comments

• nisraknisrak Member Posts: 70

Thanks for posting on here and seeing what people are interested in knowing!  This is a great opportunity..

"How does EQN attempt to have the game be challenging and exciting, yet still keep it accessible to casual players?"

Or

"Why do you think free-to-play is better than a subscription-based model for EQN?"

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Any news on PvP yet?

Would love to know more about PvP but i doubt SoE devs will have any info about it they can give out just yet unfortuently.

And Another question

Are different servers gonna have different rule sets than each other like in EQ1???

Thanks for the time for reading them hope you can get some answeres :)

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

Simple and short, one of the most debated questions so far:

"Why did you choose to go with a more cartoon based art-style that doesn't fit with the Everquest Franchise?"

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315

Do you have a timeline for when we can expect beta invitations?

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

Thank you for asking us for questions.

A few I can think of:

1. Are there going to be mounts in EQN?  If so will mounted combat make a return? What about flying mounts?

2.  Why the choice not to allow rallying calls to be played at from different angles? For example, if you have a rallying call to build a city and the orcs attack that city at one point during the rallying call, why can't a player who's gained faction with the Orcs side with them and help the orcs instead? How will rallying calls play out "differently" as was mentioned if players don't actually get to make these kinds of choices?

3. Can you detail any about the crafting and customization of weapons and armour?

4. Speaking of crafting SWG was brought up as an example of EQN going even further then that, will players get to run their own shops like in SWG and will they be non-instanced? I felt this greatly added to the social aspect of the game.

5. With combat is there any chance we will get a combo system? Something similar to say Kingdoms of Amalur? Like say you have your 4 weapon skills, however with the combo system those 4 skills can have more moves to them depending on what buttons you press and the timing that you press them? For example, if you block and press your 1st weapon skill you get "x" attack, however if you dash and then press the same weapon skill you get another different attack?

Thanks again, looking forward to seeing what details you can get out of them.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
    Originally posted by BearKnight

"Why did you choose to go with a more cartoon based art-style that doesn't fit with the Everquest Franchise?"

Might also want to ask if the character models are final, or a work in progress.

I can't accept that anyone would look at that cat boy and be happy with it as a final edit

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I would like to ask them 4 questions.

(1) Do you expect folks who play EQ and EQ2 to move over to play the new game since the mechanics of the hot-bar are so different

(2) Since you are trying to make the game have all the popular functions of other existing games.  Are you not worried that you are trying to be everything to everybody and thus turn out something that will not please anybody.  

(3) What is the demographic you are aiming the game at. 

(4) After looking at how silly the Kerra were drawn out, are you going to take a step back and go back to the kerra model from eq and eq2. Most folks think the kerra looked like Tony the tiger/lion king and it looked silly.

• BBPD766BBPD766 Member UncommonPosts: 98

Simple and short...they have already discussed this.

• BBPD766BBPD766 Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Stiler

A few I can think of:

1. Are there going to be mounts in EQN?  If so will mounted combat make a return? What about flying mounts?

2.  Why the choice not to allow rallying calls to be played at from different angles? For example, if you have a rallying call to build a city and the orcs attack that city at one point during the rallying call, why can't a player who's gained faction with the Orcs side with them and help the orcs instead? How will rallying calls play out "differently" as was mentioned if players don't actually get to make these kinds of choices?

3. Can you detail any about the crafting and customization of weapons and armour?

4. Speaking of crafting SWG was brought up as an example of EQN going even further then that, will players get to run their own shops like in SWG and will they be non-instanced? I felt this greatly added to the social aspect of the game.

5. With combat is there any chance we will get a combo system? Something similar to say Kingdoms of Amalur? Like say you have your 4 weapon skills, however with the combo system those 4 skills can have more moves to them depending on what buttons you press and the timing that you press them? For example, if you block and press your 1st weapon skill you get "x" attack, however if you dash and then press the same weapon skill you get another different attack?

They never said you couldn't do this.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

thanks for doing this.

Q: Are Rallying Calls manually planned and triggered by the developers, or does the server trigger them with some kind of "server emergent AI"?

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Limiting myself to a single question / comment / suggestion, I'd like to know if SOE would commit to releasing a monthly 'State of  the Game'-type informational disclosure where project management details concerning the design and development of EQ:N are released.   I'd personally be fascinated by the details of the project -- how game elements are broken out, deadlines made or missed, staffing changes/requirements, etc.   I'm certain that this information exists in an MS Project file somewhere.  It could be very illuminating for the community to see a bit more closely how one company chooses to build an MMORPG.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Originally posted by nisrak

"Why do you think free-to-play is better than a subscription-based model for EQN?"

Or "Will EQ Next include Gold access?  Also, what would be the difference between free-to-play and subscription?"

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

In the off chance they don't just say "we ain't ready to discuss that yet" I have just one question.

Now that you have deserted your loyal SWG and EQ fans do you ever intend to make another game that we may enjoy playing again?

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    1. Will there be a server auction house? (I prefer an AH for low prices goods)
    2. How much of a power level difference is there between a tier 1 wizard and tier 3 wizard.
    3. Since gear doesn't have attribute mods how can you tell something is better?
    4. How much more powerful can you be if you have the best gear?
  • donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    5. Will there be item decay?
    6. Will the game launch withe multiple starting?
  • popononpoponon Member Posts: 22
    I don't understand why everyone is so concerned with the "cartoony" look of the game. How does this affect your gameplay experience? Does your game need to look edgy or gritty to be fun for you?? It's obvious they are doing this sort of look to reach out to a larger audience.
    Originally posted by BBPD766
    Originally posted by Stiler

A few I can think of:

They never said you couldn't do this.

Yeah, I'm sure there are going to be some rallying calls like this, but not all the time. Some towns will have to be built. Not sure why people would be up in arms against this... it just means were playing the game how it was meant to be played. Are they not giving you enough freedom? Damn the amount of entitled mofos on this board is just insane.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Will there be more than 8 buttons on the UI ?

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• georgatos7georgatos7 Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by Grixxitt

Might also want to ask if the character models are final, or a work in progress.

I can't accept that anyone would look at that cat boy and be happy with it as a final edit

Originally posted by erictlewis

(3) What is the demographic you are aiming the game at. 

(4) After looking at how silly the Kerra were drawn out, are you going to take a step back and go back to the kerra model from eq and eq2. Most folks think the kerra looked like Tony the tiger/lion king and it looked silly.

I'd like to know all the above individualy or combined in some way plz.

Thanks.

it's blowing my mind how much people care about the look. Sure it's a little childish / cartoony, but really what the hell does that change in terms of gameplay? Why not go look at gritty grunge art if you want to be edgy as hell? don't forget your fedora.

I think the graphics will grow on people similarly to WoW or other cartoonish mmos. I just want to play a fun game myself.

• EeksEeks Member Posts: 72

I'd love a better explanation of the class tiers as in, do your characters actually become more powerful or do they just gain more abilities (Seems like there's conflicting information on this).

Additionally, more info on character progression would be great since they've hinted at this (Though they may be holding back on this one).

Basically just don't ask anything that's already been answered (Why they chose the art style) =p

• MarkusanMarkusan Member Posts: 92

1. Will unique, named mobs (such as Nagafen) stay dead permanently after being killed?

2. With a world that is made to be forever changeable, how will raiding fit in? Will there be generic raid target mob creatures, such as giants, golems, or similar, or will unique raid target mobs respawn, essentially making that part of the game "non-changeable"?

3. will items permanently decay or will items be reparable? How is crafting going to be viable in the long-term if item decay is not in the game?

• termsytermsy Member Posts: 100
    The way that Rally Calls work, do they only wait to be progressed forward, or do they go backwards if the event chain is deemed unsuccessful?
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801

1. Will growing food/crops have meaning and will the game show crops growing over time?
    2. Will there be player trade to the extent that caravans will be useful?
    3. Will there be player ships? Customizable?
    4. Will players be able to wear an assortment of customizable clothing items over their armor?
    5. Will players be able to carry torches and lanterns in their hand?
    6. Will players be able to drop items in the world? Any and all, or just certain things?
    7. Travel systems?
    8. Will players be able to write their own books inside the game (i.e. not something created in Landmark).
    9. Will there be collectable books and scrolls detailing lore, simple proverbs and tales, and some containing mystery clues?
    10. Will there be items in the world that offer clues to greater mysteries?
    11. Will there be things like crystal balls with magical properties?
    12. Will there be overhead speech?
    And about story/lore...will there be deep story plots and mysteries that players can work on? I don't mean A-B-C quests, I mean mysteries to figure out that have meaning in forms of treasure, plot interception, and things like that.

About the world in general...will they get down and dirty with "worldly" interaction in the likeness of D+D P+P gaming? This goes along with the idea of dropping items in the game world, but goes farther with mechanical stuff like levers, buttons, drawbridges, secret doors, trap doors, lighting candles, dropping things on pressure plates, picking locks, puzzle mechanics, etc.

Thanks for any help in understanding what this game world will be and play like.

Once upon a time....

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750
    Originally posted by radarhead

Hello everyone, 

I am a presenter on the GameOverCast team a weekly enthusiast video gaming podcast. 

We are going to Gamescom next week and are lucky enough to get to see, and hopefully get to chat to the Devs for EQ Next in a Behind closed doors environment.

We have a bunch of questions lined up but would love to ask some directly from the fans. If you have anything you would like us to ask please could you post them in this thread and we will do our best to ask as many of them as we can. 

I will post a link to the podcast and the time where we feature the game once we get back, we will be seeing over 40 games so it may take a few shows before we feature all of them. 

If you guys fancy checking out the show, we have just put up our Pre-Gamescom special, probably worth listening too. Check it out here

Let me know what you want to know!

Thanks for doing this.

I have one question.

Question:: Will we be able to make boxes in our homes to store gear, and will we be able to decorate the inside of our home with some treasures we find or items we craft (examples are an statue of Nagefen or a door chime that is shaped like an owl and makes a whoo whoo when you click on it).