Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what was your first MMORPG?

Comments

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Dark Age of Camelot was my first mmo. I still remember getting nervous as hell when I got into my first rvr battle. It was by far the best game that I ever played.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Linage 1, back in 2002 I think.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Fionn
    EQ, I don't consider UO an MMORPG in the 3rd person sense of the games we play today.  To me, Everquest started the genre.

Could you elaborate on this.

I can agree that EQ was the game that really got the ball rolling (the graphics at the time was really really good and it had a much wider selection of races to choose form compared to UO) but i still think UO ticks all the boxes needed for a MMO even with todays standard.

This have been a good conversation

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    My first was Legends of Kesmai but that was for maybe a month or so. The first I actually really got into was Ultima Online.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124
    Eq 1 would be the first but I will be honest vanilla Wow was when I got very serious about mmos.
  • TheRealBanangoTheRealBanango Member UncommonPosts: 89
    I watched my brother play UO but the very first mmo i really got into was a game called Ferentus, anyone recall that game? I played before the huge update they did which changed the map and everything. One of the most fun times ive had playing an mmo.
  • PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

The Realm Online

Released in 1996 and still going . It's only $6.99 a month sub and is still a heck of a game. I just resubbed a few days ago after not playing it for 10 years. Still one of my favorite games of all time. I've been playing about 10 hours a day since re-subbing lol.

New age games just suck compared to these old games. We need to put some old games back on the map!

• TicklepinkTicklepink Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Ascherons Call. I remember playing it on my boyfriends computer and going home that night with a buzz..my ears were ringing..just from the buzz of playing.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    EQ1 about 2 weeks after if came out.
  • kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142

Everquest was technically my first MMORPG. Started playing early in 2000 when I was 19 years old, though I had a taste of it playing my own toon a little bit on a friends account a year prior to that. I was hardcore into EQ doing endgame raiding and all on The Rathe server in a guild called Frayed Knot (2nd on our server behind BotS at one point) until I finally quit in about 2005.

Before that however I did a lot of Chat based RP in AoL Chat Rooms in what was called RhyDin, basically just the fantasy setting for fantasy style RP in various user made chat rooms. I also did Star Wars Naval SIM stuff in the popular chat room StarWarsSpaceBattles and eventually even more detailed SW SIMming on AoL Message Boards. Started all of that when I was prob 14 or 15 back 1995 or so though got away from that in 1998 or so when the partying really kicked up lol.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Asheron's Call 2 back in 2003.  Good times.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Times were different back then.  It was called Pong and all your neighbors came over and you all played together or took turns.  These were the days of the live and in one house MMO.
  • grumpyoldgrumpyold Member Posts: 8

First MMO online was Utlima online. Had played all the ultima sp games before that 1 to 8 or 9. I loved these sp games and i think its was Ultima 5 i played for a very long time and still remember how hard it was since it was no information on internet and no walkthrou. You had to toalk to every NPC and read what they said and then figure out what they meant by that.Fighting was very strategic and turnbased.

I they made Ultima 5 again with a little better graphic i would play it again.

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

Damn I can't believe only one other person has mentioned The Realm....that was my first mmo, and it was AMAZING. I played back in 2x...then 3x. I remember being like 14, and having no credit card and playing as a Demo for something like 3 hours at a time....hiding all the stuff I collected behind a tree, and restarting lol.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Originally posted by jerkbeast

Damn I can't believe only one other person has mentioned The Realm....that was my first mmo, and it was AMAZING. I played back in 2x...then 3x. I remember being like 14, and having no credit card and playing as a Demo for something like 3 hours at a time....hiding all the stuff I collected behind a tree, and restarting lol.

I'm playing it again and it is still so addicting. Makes me miss the days there was no purpose. You just played to level, kill shit, get cool loot, and talk with the community.

• aspectofgoreaspectofgore Member Posts: 17
    Anarchy online

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Depends what you call MMORPG.

If it's the "AAA graphical Massively Multiplayer" type, then it's UO beta, like 17 years ago.

Otherwise, it's MUDs, way earlier.

Lord British simply made a dream come through by combining his famous RPG series that I loved with the MUD genre that I loved too, and turned it into Ultima Online.

Was about to call for MUDs as well... My first one was Talisman online back in 1991, a graphical MUD supporting up to 48 concurrent users on a BBS (if the BBS had 48 lines *LOL*). I also played a lot of TradeWars 2001 back in the day. Though not a real MUD, it had some nice multi-user functions build in.

And the real MMORPG? That was Lineage II back in 2005...

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    Times were different back then.  It was called Pong and all your neighbors came over and you all played together or took turns.  These were the days of the live and in one house MMO.

Kind of hard to call something an MMO when the O hadn't been invented yet.

My first mmo was earth and beyond. I found the beta sign up while surfing at work and once accepted I was hooked.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    Horizons. It was.. not particularly good. But it made me realize how much I would love to play an MMORPG that was.
  • KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Asheron's Call. Oh, the many hours I played it over the course of 3+ years. image Good times....

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

Kind of hard to call something an MMO when the O hadn't been invented yet.

My first mmo was earth and beyond. I found the beta sign up while surfing at work and once accepted I was hooked.

nah ... labels are not always literal.

Much of gameplay in MMOs are not massive (instanced dungones, raids, and pvp). So if MMOs do not have to be "massive", may be they don't even need to be "online".

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248

It was EQ. Then I found out EQ2 didn't have something called "PVP?" I moved to wow. This was either TBC or close to it's launch I can't remember. 

Stuck with WoW for the longest because the PVP matches AB & WSG were the most fun gameplay experiences I ever had. Sure, I got angry when the pvp gear got introduced and every rogue was able to stun lock and every worthless paladin was able to bubble and heal...oh those were the days. 

We had teamspeak 1 setup for our server so the ally and horde could talk back and forth and probably half the time was "shammy vs pally" talks lol.

I still say to this day, EOTS & Arathi Basin are the best PVP experiences I've had so far in any game.

((In addition to my WoW experience I dual subbed to other games such as DCUO & DAOC. Currently playing Defiance & WoW.))

Soon as these people on MMORPG.com who (characteristically) don't have cash catch on to the $10 Defiance deals I'm sure we'll get droves of people comin in. Right now with the limited people in the game they all seem to go to AF's lol. You'll have ~60 people at a single AF, lucky to get a couple shots in.

• OfficialFlowOfficialFlow Member Posts: 111

Ultima online was my first MMORPG i still occasionaly login to *Ultima online forever* (free version) for nostalgia ofc

yes i am from an era where the players werent divided to camps of PvE and PvP they were all the same if you were weak in combat just had to make friends and have them do the protecting

after UO got too old I turned into game hopper wishing that i find a game that i can stay with .... but boy was i wrong, gone through most of the mmorpgs on the market and have atleast 2 months of gameplay on each

Maple story was probably the game that i played the longest out of all of them since it had something that kept me playing even though to this day i dont know what it was xD (maybe the fact that it reminded me of super mario)

Mmorpgs i want to try :

Tera

Rift

GW2

currently on hiatus from games

testing the theory that maybe im just burned out from mmorpgs and need to recharge

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by Chawk

SWG

I didn't even know the genre existed while playing SWG.  It wasn't until I discovered CoH, and EQ2 did I realize the MMO world I had been mission out on.

Exactly this for me. In fact, I thought I wrote this and someone hacked my avatar.

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

Dark Sun Online.  A game so old and so small that while looking for a pic of it I came across one of my mortal enemies in it.

Lethal

That guy would show up out of nowhere while you were trying to fight some mobs and gank you without the slightest bit of hesitation.  He wore all purple, and to this day I hate the fact that games use purple for their best gear for that reason.  Best time in the world though, and I wouldn't trade what happened there for all the games that came after.

Dark Sun Online game play pic.

People like to say that this was not an MMORPG.  But in a world where there were absolutely no games that allowed you to be online, with a moving graphical representation of yourself, simultaneously with another player under any circumstance, it certainly was.