Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Will EQN voxel-world have proper physics?

2»

Comments

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,499Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Zydari

The demo from SOE Live showed the physics engine. It showed realistic physics with things falling, crumbling and exploding the way they should. Don't think this will be a problem but also don't think it will be to sophisticated either. Simple realistic physics.

They only showed physics on the debris, not remaining structures. See my block diagram above, that is simple realistic physics to you?

• Prenho2Prenho2 AracajuPosts: 9Member

Will the damage be permanent or the world will heal itself? if it will heal itself, I see no point in a voxel-destructible world.

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,499Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Prenho2

Will the damage be permanent or the world will heal itself? if it will heal itself, I see no point in a voxel-destructible world.

Some stuff will be permanent (like city building aka Rallying calls) - but everything else will heal itself, the thing is we don't know how fast that will happen.

• StilerStiler Athens, TNPosts: 599Member
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    First..  physics does not exist in gaming, especially a fantasy MMO..   If it did, there is no way of explaining how someone can dig 3 feet into the ground to expose a cave world underneath the size of Texas..  lol

What?

They've had physics in games for quite some time now.

MMO's have had physics in them (EQ2 for example had physics on clothing and hair, Champions online had physics on capes/ragdolls).

Then you have games like BF3 with physics on the environment and such.

Also regarding EQN, the thing that worried me, as far as physics go, was when the golem thing was walking and hitting trees, isntead of the trees "falling" over like you'd expect trees to do, they all "jumped up" into the air , it looked quite unrealistic/out of place. Hopefully something they'll work on.

• RydesonRydeson Canton, OHPosts: 3,858Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Stiler
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    First..  physics does not exist in gaming, especially a fantasy MMO..   If it did, there is no way of explaining how someone can dig 3 feet into the ground to expose a cave world underneath the size of Texas..  lol

What?

They've had physics in games for quite some time now.

MMO's have had physics in them (EQ2 for example had physics on clothing and hair, Champions online had physics on capes/ragdolls).

Then you have games like BF3 with physics on the environment and such.

Also regarding EQN, the thing that worried me, as far as physics go, was when the golem thing was walking and hitting trees, isntead of the trees "falling" over like you'd expect trees to do, they all "jumped up" into the air , it looked quite unrealistic/out of place. Hopefully something they'll work on.

OK.. I guess my satire post was too complicated to get a "LOL" from you..   Let me write it a little simpler.. 

Fantasy games are NOT Scientifically accurate..  Is that better?  :)  :)

• kragekrage Miami, FLPosts: 419Member

It would be nice if they have true physics in game, but such physics are expensive process wise so I am told. According to the video Amylion posted it does seem there is a good amount of physics, at 16:45, and 26:45 "EverQuest Next: Creating Worlds" panel.

That said I don't expect them to have true physics that will topple off balance structures unless struck, or reroute rivers...then again, not many people should expect true physics since no other MMO really does or even has this level of terrain interaction. 

It be great, but may be asking for or expecting too much for the voxelfarm system in EQN combined with all the other things in game.

• NaqajNaqaj Frankfurt am MainPosts: 1,673Member

Lots of misunderstandings here about how the Voxel engine and the Forgelight engine interact. Read a bit in the blog of the Voxel Farm devs, should clarify most of the questions and misunderstandings.

TL;DR. The voxel engine doesn't actually render the world, its used to dynamically create traditional poligonal meshes, which are then rendered by Forgelight.

2»