Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamers are destroying the industry.

124»

Comments

• cydoneqcydoneq Member UncommonPosts: 66
    i actual watched a forum up i was activ 10 years ago (was 15 there) and just have to say what a moron i was, talking about hacking guys and beat them up if there writing more shit, ;)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I think your title and response are very misleading.

This article is not about WHY games are good or bad,it is about the ugly side of gaming.

I also feel the examples used are EXTREMELY rare,we never see or hear of them until an article makes note of it.Perfect proof is the lady from DA2 admitted herself that she really never seen much of it and chose to ignore it most of it.

The real factual blemish on gaming is CHEATING and that takes several forms,it completely ruins a game's whole design.

That article used COD as an example,that is  a horrid game for cheating and the sole reason i quit buying or playing that franchise.There is more to it however and not ALl the players to blame.What really pissed me off was the developer/publisher whoever you want to blame had ZERO recourse to take action against cheating.I searched long and hard to find a simple REPORT button or anything to let the developer know it needs to shore up it's game from cheating or everyone will quit playing.

What i found was the developer simply did NOT CARE,that is a piss poor attitude in my opinion,so i chose to stop giving them a single penny and will never support them ever again.What it comes down to is as usual the gamer's ,so you can rightfully criticize the lame gamer's but it is also the good gamer's that report and stop cheating.using the COD example the players have to load anticheat like Punkbuster.

Point is that it is never one sole entity to blame for poor gaming,it is a combined effort,the developer KNOWS what is going on inside and out and has the tools to stop it.Another perfect example is IP tracking to stop hackers from logging into our games,nope NOTHING,instead they ask US the people  that put food on their table to give them more money for added protection.

You know what happens in the Auto industry?The Manufacturer MUST provide adequate safety or suffer from recalls and lawsuits,they cannot simply say "Pay us a little more and we will make sure your auto is safe".They also have to do a lot of testing BEFORE releasing that auto for sale,they can't use the lame excuse devs use by simply making you sign a TOS and say "Your information and security is your sole responsibility".

Everything is a TWO -WAy street,it is not JUST the gamer's fault.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Bullshit article with all the depth of a kiddy wading pool. In fact I've just wasted 5 mins of my life reading and commenting on this crap.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Axehilt

There's nothing irrational about expecting basic human decency from people.  (In fact it's fairly irrational not to.)

Well, there's this strange thing called anonymity on the Internet.

Let's admit for a moment that I just insulted you or your family in this post. What can you do? Report to the moderators, get me banned, yeah, but that's it... I could be back 5 minutes later on an alt account and do it again.

Now if we were face to face in "real life", you could punch me in the face, or take any other action with immediate consequences for me. And in "real life", if you get fired from a social place (library, bar, pub, etc...) you can't come back 5 minutes later with an alt.

It's a similar problem than "open world PvP". If there are no harsh consequences for harsh actions, some people will behave like asshats.

Actually, there's quite a bit they can do if you make any kind of credible threat against them.  The authorities are obligated to investigate all threats and your much-vaunted "anonymity" means nothing to the authorities with a warrant at your ISP.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Gamers are not destroying the industry.

I am passionate MMORPG player since 15 Years now. NEVER did I curse or threaten a Dev. If I did not like a change I would post at most a constructive thread and just leave.

Idiot brats without any sort of manners taught to them by their parents playing games are destroying the industry if this is really a problem.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Suraknar

I am passionate MMORPG player since 15 Years now. NEVER did I curse or threaten a Dev. If I did not like a change I would post at most a constructive thread and just leave.

Idiot brats without any sort of manners taught to them by their parents playing games are destroying the industry if this is really a problem.

/SIGNED

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Suraknar

Exactly. And it is developers that take such threats and taunting by players seriously that over react. By that I mean the cave in to this vocal minority or cringe  away in fear.

At the same time, devs have to understand that their work is not always going to be accepted by the public. We usually vote with our wallets and not with some idiotic rants on the internet. Those of us that vote either positively by laying out our money or by with holding it are the ones they should be listening. With that said, making a game so-called "f2p" removes that ability many to vote CLEARLY if a game is what is wanted or not. Instead, people play because they don't have to PAY and therefore devs don't hear very loudly when a game is trash or when it is great.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

"I think fans harass developers for a range of reasons, but again, it is always about power and position," said Fisk, who was featured in Bullying in the Age of Social Media. "Fans are invested in the stories and worlds that developers create, and certain design decisions can be seen by fans to threaten those stories and worlds. Harassment silences and repositions content creators in ways that protect the interests of certain fan groups, which again is no justification for the kinds of abusive behavior and language seen online today."

I think this article referenced is even more interesting.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/15/4622252/plague-of-game-dev-harassment-erodes-industry-spurs-support-groups

• zimikezimike Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

LMAO!

this is the most absurd statement ever.

it's like saying grocery shoppers are destroying the food industry, or drivers are destroying the car industry. total BS.

the truth is the more and more developers are becoming increasingly greedy and want to make games only for profit. this means going for cheap garbage in volume instead of trying to produce quality with a high risk of missing the general's interest. the Wall mart approach is much more business savoy.

a perfect example is Minecraft. an incredible success for a game that is horrendously simple by today's standards, and yet truly inspired by a gamer mind, not a business mind thinking of costs vs market shares. the idea behind the game was to creat something completely new and exciting. not cashing in on the latest trend.

the so called "insatiable locusts" of today's gaming world have been carefully created on purpose by gaming executives just so there will always be a hungry horde waiting to consume whatever cheap re-cycled garbage they feel like dishing that particular week. if people were happy with their 1 game for years on end, who the hell would make money anymore? 

Well said.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Vocal minorities are indeed the scourge of the industry.
  • killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

i still dont know why they just dont track the guy down and kick some royal arse. the internet isnt totally anon, easy to grab an ip,  narrow down the region, the area, do a track on  that ip, see what else they posted ,  and eventually nab him.

sure you have to know how it works, but the devs, should know people that do that kinda thing,

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by killahh

i still dont know why they just dont track the guy down and kick some royal arse. the internet isnt totally anon, easy to grab an ip,  narrow down the region, the area, do a track on  that ip, see what else they posted ,  and eventually nab him.

sure you have to know how it works, but the devs, should know people that do that kinda thing,

I think the problem would be once you tracked the person down, it will turn out to be some 14 year old and you end up with one of those Texas cases - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27/teenager-justin-carter-facebook-comment-jail_n_3512025.html

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

some people are just stupid.

You know what the developers should do when receiving death threats about a game? SHut down the damn game and tell publicly to those idiots threatening them, IN YOUR FACE!  too bad they wont do it because the games clearly sell well.

SOme people are just reaaaally stupid.

Originally posted by evilastro

+1

• greywolf2002greywolf2002 Member UncommonPosts: 18

Aha, sooo:

-Some dogs get rabies and atack people.

-Dogs as a whole are dangerous, they are threatening the human race.

-Let's kill all dogs and save human race. In fact, lets's kill all kind of plantigrades. Better safe than sorry.

It's kinda the same thing. I don't know if you wanted to create a shitstorm or something, but these articles are pretty dumb. Every public figure or person that gets his/her name to be know WILL receive death threats at some point.

Gaming industry is not special.

Do you want a solution to this threats?

No credits. No names. Nothing.

Bam. No more threats, because there is nobody to threat.

Remenber: no matter who you are, where are you from, what do you think, what you believe, what age / gender / race are you, what do you do or say or don't do or don't say; there will always be people that will hate you for it, and there will always be some few people out there that will want to kill you for it.

Don't take it personal. They are just stupid like that.

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    This should be between the victims and the police instead of advertising it.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

Originally posted by greywolf2002

you want a better solution to this threats? Its has been discussed many times already.

Stop allowing anonimity on the internet and in our case, in online gaming.

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by greywolf2002

you want a better solution to this threats? Its has been discussed many times already.

Stop allowing anonimity on the internet and in our case, in online gaming.

How about we all tell our stories of people threatening us. Some even cyber stalked and privacy invaded. If you feel threatened call the police and handle it with them. What do you want from us?

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by evilastro

It's not just vocal minorities, it's clueless vocal minorities who have no idea what they're talking about and they don't want to listen to anyone else either.

It happens a lot around here.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None