Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"so probably not the naked corpse run."

donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591

Article on TTH interviewing Dave. Couple of other quaotes.

"You can make your weapons and abilities stronger by finding different things. You can mix and match different things on your weapons to give them elemental powers, and things like that. We’ll get into that stuff a lot more when we begin to talk about crafting".

"First of all, everyone can save all kinds of different loadouts on the classes. As you mix and match all of the different character abilities, you can also save all these different loadouts. So when you meet up with other people and you decide that someone needs to be able to do something specific, someone can volunteer to do that if they have the right mix and match of the skills. You can just change on the fly and go into the encounter".

"Sometimes the dragons will attack". (the cities)

http://www.eqhammer.com/interview/exclusive-everquest-next-interview-dave-georgeson

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I guess you quoted something on a topic other than the thread title .. from the article:

EQHammer: Here’s a curveball for you, and hopefully you’ll know exactly what I’m getting at here…

Say I get my pickaxe out and dig down until I find a cool cavern, but decide I want to keep going and eventually make it three layers deep only to die a grisly death at the very bottom. Will my pickaxe be left on my corpse so that I have to do a naked corpse run through layers of Norrath to get my gear back?

Dave: [Laughs] We’re not talking about death penalties yet. We will talk about them soon, but there’s some give and take that we’re still considering.

Although given how EQN is being reduced to the lowest common denominator to subject itself for mass appeal and huge initial sales, I sort of doubt SOE will go the route of forced corpse runs.  I don't think PS4 console users would tolerate hyper realism.  SOE already called pitch black nighttime as a "denial of service", so you "won't find that in our game".

However, they can make it so a player just does a clicky clicky on the cashshop and magically buys all their stuff back, with a free option to manually reclaim their corpse / equipment. .. which seems likely to me.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Karteli

I guess you quoted something on a topic other than the thread title .. from the article:

EQHammer: Here’s a curveball for you, and hopefully you’ll know exactly what I’m getting at here…

Say I get my pickaxe out and dig down until I find a cool cavern, but decide I want to keep going and eventually make it three layers deep only to die a grisly death at the very bottom. Will my pickaxe be left on my corpse so that I have to do a naked corpse run through layers of Norrath to get my gear back?

Dave: [Laughs] We’re not talking about death penalties yet. We will talk about them soon, but there’s some give and take that we’re still considering.

Although given how EQN is being reduced to the lowest common denominator to subject itself for mass appeal and huge initial sales, I sort of doubt SOE will go the route of corpse runs.  I don't think PS4 console users would tolerate hyper realism.  SOE already called pitch black nighttime as a "denial of service", so you "won't find that in our game".

However, they can make it so a player just does a clicky clicky on the cashshop and magically buys all their stuff back, with a free option to manually reclaim their corpse / equipment. .. which seems likely to me.

DId you just call dying, then returning for your stuff (to continue adventuring) hyper realism?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia

DId you just call dying, then returning for your stuff (to continue adventuring) hyper realism?

It would seem so.  To the WoW generation / console generation, that is hyper realism.  The only 1-up from that would be perma death, which is what happens to game titles that implement this.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

It would seem so.  To the WoW generation / console generation, that is hyper realism.  The only 1-up from that would be perma death, which is what happens to game titles that implement this.

Exactly, which would be the only realistic approach to take. Anyway I was just poking fun at calling it hyper-realism.

I also doubt we'll see corpse runs outside of a possible hardcore server/mode.

Xp loss on the other hand? I could see a possibility of that.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350

I'm pretty much 100% sure that there will be no corpse runs in EQN. It seems that with the class system they go for maximum convenience. You can switch to any class at any time you want. They also said at one point: "We run everything through the fun-checker", what would translate as: We make sure there are no inconveniences, even for the most casual player possible.

• fizzlesticksfizzlesticks Member Posts: 45
    There can't be corpse runs, you need your weapons to be your class. A warrior cannot be unarmed, without a sword/shield or 2 hand whatever they aren't a warrior which means you would not only have no gear you would have no abilities. Unless you're maybe a monk or something that actually counts no weapons as their weapons.
  • adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    I would be suprised to see naked corpse runs in EQN.  I mean like it or not, i dont think anything the EQ crowd wanted will be in this game.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    I think Dave is pointing out there is a technical barrier that can't be over come due to the procedurally generated world. So even if they wanted corpse runs in the game it's just not possible, well not possible if you want your stuff back.
    Originally posted by donpopuki
    I think Dave is pointing out there is a technical barrier that can't be over come due to the procedurally generated world. So even if they wanted corpse runs in the game it's just not possible, well not possible if you want your stuff back.

That's a good observation to bring up, especially since the original hole will get filled in after a time period (wasn't it 5 mins for destruction to "regrow"?).

Still though, either Dave is really beating around the bush to be intentionally evasive around sensitive issues, or they are working on a way to "save" your procedural instance.  I hope it's the later, and not SOE being deceptive.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Chances are, the few inconvienences they do put in this casual game will be easily remedied by a visit to the cash shop. I really miss paying my $15/month for a whole game.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I don't think I've ever once seen anyone, who has played any game, describe corpse runs as realism. You are the first person I've seen say something like this.

I've seen people say that about perma-death, but not corpse runs.

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

Well, difficulty servers will fix this problem as well as most others.

Easy mode, holding hand server = Spawn at your bind point with your pick axe in your inventory, together with the rest of your gear. Did you get any nervous feelings at all while digging? OMG, what if I die? Guess not...

Hardcore server = There is no way in hell I will dig down to the bottom and risk loosing my gear. No way! Unless, I put my gear in the bank and only bring my pick axe, and, I am prepared to loose all that xp to a death that is almost certain.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by donpopuki

That's a good observation to bring up, especially since the original hole will get filled in after a time period (wasn't it 5 mins for destruction to "regrow"?).

Still though, either Dave is really beating around the bush to be intentionally evasive around sensitive issues, or they are working on a way to "save" your procedural instance.  I hope it's the later, and not SOE being deceptive.

It's not an instance, so it can't be saved just for you. The most they can do is put a "sparkly trails" that tells you where to dig to get your stuff back and make sure they "respawn" them somewhere if that part is regenerated.

It's also possible that anyone can pick up your stuff, the underground tier concept art shows items in the rocks between the different tiers, maybe those are things left there by dead players...

• DracockDracock Member Posts: 75

Honestly I think naked CR is a dated concept. You can accomplish almost the same thing with exp loss + spawn at bind. People are still going to be very reluctant to die under those circumstances.

If you are deep in a dungeon and you group wipes, you all lose exp and spawn in town. You would then have to get back to your corpses to get ressed for some of your exp back. I don't think the added complications of having to recover your items is really that necessary at the end of the day.

The important thing is that there is a significant death penalty. Players should really not want to die. However, running back to your corpse naked is probably never going to happen again.

Originally posted by Storm_Cloud

Easy mode, holding hand server = Spawn at your bind point with your pick axe in your inventory, together with the rest of your gear. Did you get any nervous feelings at all while digging? OMG, what if I die? Guess not...

Hardcore server = There is no way in hell I will dig down to the bottom and risk loosing my gear. No way! Unless, I put my gear in the bank and only bring my pick axe, and, I am prepared to loose all that xp to a death that is almost certain.

If you are exploring just for the sake of exploring, then I suppose you could put stuff in the bank.  But .. how many times would you actually do this on a sincere run?  You'd be kicked from your group for not showing up prepared.

Originally posted by azarhal

It's not an instance, so it can't be saved just for you. The most they can do is put a "sparkly trails" that tells you where to dig to get your stuff back and make sure they "respawn" them somewhere if that part is regenerated.

It's also possible that anyone can pick up your stuff, the underground tier concept art shows items in the rocks between the different tiers, maybe those are things left there by dead players...

Need a source of this.  EQN is going to be heavily instanced, since it was already stressed in interviews that small goups (2+) which was called "raid-ish" will have content tailored and scaled to the number of players who enter dungeons.

EverQuest Next Interview with David Georgeson

02 AUG 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ut4riV8MjJw&t=405

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

If you are exploring just for the sake of exploring, then I suppose you could put stuff in the bank.  But .. how many times would you actually do this on a sincere run?  You'd be kicked from your group for not showing up prepared.

Need a source of this.  EQN is going to be heavily instanced, since it was already stressed in interviews that small goups (2+) which was called "raid-ish" will have content tailored and scaled to the number of players who enter dungeons.

02 AUG 2013

They've said that there will be very few times that instances will be used. They are going for open seamless world. They've said that if you dig a hole and jump down into a dungeon or whatever, some random person could come in after you. Not instanced.

You are hearing what Dave said the way you want. I heard it differently.

2 people could attempt to fight a dragon (unlike most games that you have to have a full group of whatever size to even enter the instance or attempt the fight). He also said that if you get your butt kicked, you could go try to get other people, not that it would be a 2 person cake walk. So joe the average gamer can discover a dragon's lair and get cooked and then come back with enough people to handle the fight.

He was talking about how there are no levels and how that relates to raids. Raids will be scaled by difficulty based on Tiers and players needed. So at Tier 1 a big mob may need 10 Tier 1 players to beat it. Tier 4 may require 100 Tier 4 players to defeat it. That is where the scaling comes in. Not that 1 Tier 4 player shows up to a Tier 4 Dragon and that Dragon is scaled down in power to be beatable by the 1 player.

What he said wasn't too clear as he isn't going into detail about any of the topics exactly as they've said they will discuss raiding later on. He was just trying to simplify for the interview.

Originally posted by Allein

02 AUG 2013

They've said that there will be very few times that instances will be used. They are going for open seamless world. They've said that if you dig a hole and jump down into a dungeon or whatever, some random person could come in after you. Not instanced.

2 people could attempt to fight a dragon (unlike most games that you have to have a full group of whatever size to even enter the instance or attempt the fight). He also said that if you get your butt kicked, you could go try to get other people, not that it would be a 2 person cake walk. So joe the average gamer can discover a dragon's lair and get cooked and then come back with enough people to handle the fight.

He was talking about how there are no levels and how that relates to raids. Raids will be scaled by difficulty based on Tiers and players needed. So at Tier 1 a big mob may need 10 Tier 1 players to beat it. Tier 4 may require 100 Tier 4 players to defeat it. That is where the scaling comes in. Not that 1 Tier 4 player shows up to a Tier 4 Dragon and that Dragon is scaled down in power to be beatable by the 1 player.

What he said wasn't too clear as he isn't going into detail about any of the topics exactly as they've said they will discuss raiding later on. He was just trying to simply for the interview.

LOL!

There is a fallacy in your comments.  You'll critique me for hearing what I what to hear but then make up a bunch of BS.

This I would buy.  Although even if you are vague in an explanation you are still generally on target to be correct.  So No, David wasn't entirely vague, but was rather caught on the spot and answered the best he could, slightly vague.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Allein

02 AUG 2013

What he said wasn't too clear as he isn't going into detail about any of the topics exactly as they've said they will discuss raiding later on. He was just trying to simply for the interview.

LOL!

There is a fallacy in your comments.  You'll critique me for hearing what I what to hear but then make up a bunch of BS.

This I would buy.  Although even if you are vague in an explanation you are still generally on target to be correct.  So No, David wasn't entirely vague, but was rather caught on the spot and answered the best he could, slightly vague.

Sorry, didn't mean to say I'm right you're wrong, I meant that he isn't being very clear and you hear one thing, I hear another. Neither could be correct as he was being vague and just trying to answer the guy as best he could without pulling out his hour long explanation on raiding and scaling.

He started by saying we won't be "hero's" soloing the hardest content in the game. To me that is very important. Look at games like WoW where a lvl 90 or whatever can go back and solo a dragon that took 40 people to beat 20-30 levels earlier. We shouldn't see this in EQN.

Maybe all dragons are top tier content and you'll never progress past them. So there won't be lvl 50, 100, 200 dragons. They are all 200 and players only make it to 50 (Tier/Progression wise). So while you might progress past some content and be able to go back and handle 5 Orcs where before you could only handle 1, you'll never be able to solo Crush Bone alone. There is a set limit on how powerful any 1 player can become.

I doubt if 5 players roll into Crush Bone it will look completely different then if 50 people show up. Although they could spawn ten times as many mobs if the game does some sort of system check and reacts accordingly, but that seems like it could lead to a lot of problems, but would be fun. I'm imagining that Crush Bone has 200 Orcs hanging out and while you might be able to pick of the front guards alone, you'll need to come back with more and more people to make it all the way in to handle everything. As the further you go in, the scaled difficulty increases instead of you need to be lvl 5 at the gate and lvl 100 to take the Orc Lord.

Like I said, it isn't clear and we are still just assuming what we want at this point.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576

02 AUG 2013

I am not sure how people are getting that from the interview...he is talking about AFTER you two get your tail whipped by the insurmountable odds and you go back and get more people and come back that would be raid-ish...for instance if the problem needed 10 people to overcome..or 40...or whatever..

...in no way shape or form does that interview say two people could defeat any challenge, when he said the challenge is scaled to the number of players, in the context of that whole conversation I took it to mean the challenge was not based on level needed to beat content x but rather number of people to beat content x

For instance to beat a single level 25 mob in your average MMO you need a level 24-26 character, to beat an "elite" version of that mob you sometimes need to be 25-27 depending on your class and the game of course. Instead of looking at it this way we approach it as to beat an orc you need one person to beat the champion orc you may need two but to defeat a small squad of champion orcs (or a town of normal orcs such as crush) then you would need a larger group of people and that is...raidish..or open world raid or whatever you want to call it.

If the level of diffuculty scales with the number of players then the idea of finding more players, as he ends that example with, wouldn't necessarily make anything easier as the number of enemies would "Scale"...also there is no way a "dragon" is the sum total of an instance which is another example he used.

I guess we just have to wait for more information, and again this is another reason I believe they need more information or at least a better more collected source of the limited information they have put out, but I have seen nothing else other than this possibly misunderstood conversation along the lines of things autoscaling and the only mention of instances was how they would only be used for rare occasions

"We'll occasionally use an instance here and there, just because we want to do something really special. In general though, when you wander through the world, you don't encounter those walls."

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    You know, most people think that there is something morally wrong with making your money while naked but that's exactly what people do in video games anyway. We have naked corpse runs and people tagging along with groups to grind high level mobs naked to save on repair fees. The amount of nakedness in MMORPGs is kind of ill proportioned just like those boobs we all want sliders for.  If I am going to spend all that time grinding clothes from top end bosses then I want to see them once in a while onscreen. lol...
  • Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

This was about a single guy digging a hole to the bottom floor like it says on the first post and about how he would get his corpse back, penalties etc.

I just gave the solution and it works for both single players and groups.

Now, to your comment about not bringing my gear, if it's a group. Well, of course I would bring the gear, but, I would also be very sure that we're at a place where we can actually survive... Hopefully...

There is no way that I would go with a group, digging at a random location, down to the third layer of Norrath "hoping" we're gonna find something that's equal to our strength. That's just as stupid as solo, digging naked with only a pick axe and hoping to get back up alive.

I'm all for challenge, but, not trying to find it in the unknown. The unknown usually leads to death and a loss of your corpse because you don't know where the hell you died. It's a dumb ass move. Baby steps on a hardcore server and you will most likely find success.

This was about a single guy digging a hole to the bottom floor like it says on the first post and about how he would get his corpse back, penalties etc.

I just gave the solution and it works for both single players and groups.

Now, to your comment about not bringing my gear, if it's a group. Well, of course I would bring the gear, but, I would also be very sure that we're at a place where we can actually survive... Hopefully...

There is no way that I would go with a group, digging at a random location, down to the third layer of Norrath "hoping" we're gonna find something that's equal to our strength. That's just as stupid as solo, digging naked with only a pick axe and hoping to get back up alive.

I'm all for challenge, but, not trying to find it in the unknown. The unknown usually leads to death and a loss of your corpse because you don't know where the hell you died. It's a dumb ass move. Baby steps on a hardcore server and you will most likely find success.

I dunno ,, then why even bring it up.?  Why bother with the "what if I die" moments".

But I do agree with some of what you said - on a carebear server, people will try to dig as low as they can go ..

Why?  Because there will be no penalty.  dodge those mobs and keep digging .. DEEPER!

Why did what you say this, to represent both single player and grouped encounters?

No penalty for bad actions would be one of the greatest mis-steps in MMORPGS.   (Switching to WoW): Even Molten Core had 2 really big guards that would smash anyone even attempting to explore ..  .. even stealthed, you were dead upon getting close.  Molten Core was to WoW Vanilla as the underworld should be to EQN.

An issue I have is that EQN is going to be casual instead of guild / raid / group focused.  You can poo-poo that statement all you like, but at the end of the day, it's just that.  Har Har I just removed raid, and all that's left is poo?  Where is the MMO part without the "massive" groups"?

EQ1 had plenty of scary places .. WoW had a few .. EQN?  Scarce, seems pretty tame upon review.  SOE won't even implement pitch black nights; true nighttime, assisted only by lanterns or such.

SOE said that ultra dark nights were a denial of service.  [In my words they may have well have said players who use their game were low intelligence and too stupid to think for themselves].  Everything is being dumbed down for consoles.  Hence why console champions were picked to defend Norrath!  Flop classes left and right!   /rolleyes

HERO, CHOOSE YOUR FATE AND PICK YOUR BUTTON! !! 1-8 pls, any others will cancel your box key.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         Sounds more like GW2 each month..  I doubt there will be any death penalty other then the cost of repairs.. You'll respawn at the closest bind point..
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Did anyone actually implement it except for on a single server? I know Salem is supposed to have it but I never heard it getting released or anything about it at all the last year or so.

Funny enough do CCP believe that perma death works in some circumstances, WoDO will have that if you get killed with a bloodhunt on you.

Permadeath do not work in a EQ game as the general settingbecause the games are too combat focused and you would simply be forced to constantly roll new characters unless you play really great but I do think it will work in some specific game under some circomstances. But since so little of it actually been tried we can't actually be 100% sure of anything except that EQ next wont have it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

SOE said that ultra dark nights were a denial of service.  [In my words they may have well have said players who use their game were low intelligence and too stupid to think for themselves].  Everything is being dumbed down for consoles.  Hence why console champions were picked to defend Norrath!  Flop classes left and right!   /rolleyes

I could live with nights not being pitch black, except maybe during really bad weather. The stars and moon in Norrath might be brighter than here.

But in a dungeon? There you really should be forced to have a bloody torch unless you have IR vision (dark elves and dwarfs should really have no problem with darkness, if they get any problems with thier vision it is during sunny days).

I am not surprised, EQ2 didn't have real darkness either, I think Lineage was the last who had (last I played anyways).

And it is too bad, it really sets the mode well, but without making things much harder (I assume all games today want to be easy mode).