Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Likes / dislikes / over all

page975page975 Member Posts: 312

Its not a review, just a few observations so far from a level 9.

- No cash shops ( scum bag marketing )

- No F2P ( scum bag marketing )

- Old school feel, sure nothing really special about the game play, quest are nothing new or exciting, but it definitely has an old school charm that I miss.

- Zoning, but very painless. Maybe three to five seconds. Sure seamless is always better but not bad at all.

- Class system, I'm playing a Conjurer ( healer ). At level 9 I don't have any alt classes yet, but I could easily fore see that having several classes will not be a problem or inconvenience. The armory system is nice that you will not using up inventory space. As for my Conjurer I'm loving my simple abilities that I get one every two levels.

- UI, It really sucked at first, but TOTALLY CUSTOMIZABLE. You can move everything around and resize to make it like any other mmo. I have 6 action bars ready to be flled with a total of I think 9.

- Game runs well, no lag at all.

- Graphics are OK, just OK, maybe a few years behind, But I don't mind as long as it runs good.

Dislikes :

- Map, well, it sucks real bad for now. Now with zoning not being too bad it does screw up the maps.  They only show small chunks of areas.  City maps suck.....Then again, I've complained about mmo maps before only to get used to them later on.  

- Mass amount of people, it's open bata, the game would be way better with less than half the population. Using the custom social panel I counted 69 level 5 and 6 Conjurers last night alone...every other class was the same.

- Screen clutter, heavy, like all Asian games, everyones abilities are flashy, wayy to flashy that could make your eyes bleed. I had to turn player / npc names off, and mob names and health bars are way to big.  I'll have to see if I can fix that ( can't do too much at one time )

- Feats ( dynamic events ), Too short and easy. This may only be a problem because of the population and the starter areas. Time will tell.

Overall :

Up to level 6, FF14 was just ok.  I was on the fence.  But getting a fresh start this morning I'm really starting to like it,being level 9 now.

I can't get the word " old school " out of my head, and thats a good thing.  I'm sick of the crap handed to us over the last few years. Of all my dislkes I would say only the maps suck and that's my only real complaint.

WITH THE PROMISE OF BEING A SOCIAL, GROUP ORIENTATED MMO....THIS COULD BE THE ONE !

Comments

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398

Pay to Play- the single biggest reason why I even tried this game.

Amazing Crafting

Great Graphics

I like the slow combat pace

Good story

No annoying voice overs

After the intro levels you dont need to do quests to level. I am lvl 16 and after lvl 5 I have only done main quest line. And still leveling faster than I like

Dislikes:

The first few levels are dreadful. The quests are so boring.

At lvl 16 I only have 3 attack skills

Not enough options such as :can't turn off sub titles, or putting HP numbers on mobs bar

Way, Way to easy. I expect this to change but right now it is silly how easy it is.

Level too fast

Overall:

I really like the game. I expect to be playing for some time. It is not for everyone, I am sure tons of people will hate this game, but for me it is what I want in a game. Just please increase the difficulty

• AtlasprimeAtlasprime Member Posts: 61
    Similar to the first post , I love the old school feel. It is classic proven mmo mechanics set in one of my most cherished settings. I like basically everything so it would be easier to go over the dislikes.

the town quests are boooring. They merely are meant to expose you to your city but I wish they made it more interesting. The radar is awful. I dont think I even use it but maybe its because I have my map open constantly on my other monitor (nvsurround). I think that is just about it...

Overall the few dislikes above and maybe some I missed are far outweighed for my love of ff and mmos. Going for the long haul on this one. (Finally!)
  • AtlasprimeAtlasprime Member Posts: 61
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Wait till level 15, then you will begin to see a difference.  Once you hit level 20, its a big shift and IMO, the game begins.  Level 1-15 is just a log tutorial.
  • NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

- graphics look great, both on the super-powered desktop and the weaksauce laptop;

- cinematics!

- love the UI design;

- world generally seems open. I can go wherever I want and do my thing. There are quests everywhere and they are not linked together most of the time, so I can do them in any order I like or not at all. There are some exceptions with the main story quest, but it seems it's not tied to the general quests;

- having to do quests to unlock abilities or special game mechanics, or even dungeons. I've missed this;

- teleport crystals stuff is cool, especially when moving around cities;

- the logs are great. I do wish the combat logs took longer, though. 3 kills? Eh. The gathering logs are really nice, has you go to places all over since different materials in different parts of the world;

- gathering actually involves a bit more than just clicking a tree/bush and be done with it;

- crafting, similarly, is an activity with its own action bar skills;

- significant dependency ties between gathering, crafting, and combat;

- many different ways to level (summary of quests, logs, dungeons, FATE's, leves, and good old grinding);

- GW2 style system for quest targets and such - reduces pressure on correct spawning mechanics and people can't steal quest objectives from each other;

- armory / multiclass system - so I can level classes and switch between armor sets;

- instant abilities are not... instant. They are not affected by the GCD, but they have their own separate animation and that animation doesn't start until the ability you're using is done. Very interesting mechanic that could have a lot of influence on how rotations happen, because you can't just press a button of an instant ability and have it go off;

- lancers are badass, and I love the positional skills - coming at enemies from behind when they use their special abilities that root them, or stunning them to get a flank hit for the 10% damage boost. Especially gets interesting with multiple enemies: try dancing around anoles sometime without making a mistake. I want more abilities, though, still don't have my from-behind chain or any AoE. But I only got to like level 17.

Dislikes:

- not a fan of the invisible walls / loading screens design. Even if they insisted on that technology, I think they could have consolidated it a bit better, such as making city areas a bit more open, and merging some city divisions;

- voice acting missing from a lot of places;

- cinematics don't work well in fullscreen, I get the upper part blackened...

- many armor designs are awful. I use a decorative armory set to sort of deal with that, but I'd rather just have an appearance tab so my character doesn't look completely ridiculous while in combat. The armory system also gets a bit annoying when it is missing gear pieces;

- could use a bit more variety in questing, and I hope to see more of the longer, more involved quests similar to my lancer quests;

- some badly calibrated spawning in a few places making quests (or even logs) hard to finish. FATE's are a bit of a mess right now and enemies in them run around too much, and hard to catch.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by DMKano

The game is good, just not for me - I disliked all the previous FF games and its no different this time.

IMO sub was the wrong way to go, I am curious what Yoshi P will say 6 month after launch when the sub numbers are down 50% (my speculation).

Maybe they took that into consideration, oh well I wish them all the best.

Curious to see how they will compete in a F2P market.

If I am not mistaken, Sub games are doing better in the Asian market than in the West. (L1 and L2? I never played but I thought they were P2P and are doing well) That is this game's primary market. It can be moderately successful and fail in the west and they can still keep it P2P.

But I don't think it will. It's already brought back the feeling I had back in my old WoW days.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

The game is good, just not for me - I disliked all the previous FF games and its no different this time.

IMO sub was the wrong way to go, I am curious what Yoshi P will say 6 month after launch when the sub numbers are down 50% (my speculation).

It's worth pointing out that when the entire market seems to be going F2P, being the only decent P2P game left in its genre will pretty much guarantee it an audience. There are a LOT of players who hate F2P with a passion.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Disagree about the maps. I think they are very functional; I had no trouble orientating myself at any time.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Originally posted by page975

- Graphics are OK, just OK, maybe a few years behind, But I don't mind as long as it runs good.

graphics are amazing. In my opinion all games should be at least of this level. Also, the art design is incredibly detailed and the color pallet is just right.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174

Like:

Everything?

Dislike:

They removed the ability to toggle quest tracking for  quests for some ungodly reason, there used to be a checkbox next to quests to pick if they show in tracker.

Armory inventory is still a chore to manage.

All the Game of Thrones names (lol).

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

Dislike:

Mining?!?! Why don't I have my little mini-game guessing where the stuff is? I just click the thing I want and get it now... :|

Pretty happy with the game now :)

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Alberel

It's worth pointing out that when the entire market seems to be going F2P, being the only decent P2P game left in its genre will pretty much guarantee it an audience. There are a LOT of players who hate F2P with a passion.

Interesting that people will give a game a pass just because you rent access to their servers.  Rift, EQ2, LotRO, WoW, GW2, Tera, and a host of other themeparks are all just as good.

It's certainly not better and obviously P2P didn't make it better development since they had to do a reboot of the game and it's still rocked with login issues this late in development.  It's funny that F2P games get taken to task when they have pre-launch and launch errors but P2P games still get to hide behind "beta" even though people have paid a lot for the game and they are taking money for pre-orders/subscriptions.

I don't think there are a lot players who hate F2P with a passion or this wouldn't be one of the last games to try P2P.  The market didn't move to sub-free because the publishers wanted that.  It's because the players have voted with their wallets.

It will be interesting to see how the P2P rhetoric holds up a year or two from now.  It's easy to take pot shots at Rift when you're (re)launching a game, but let's see how the horn blows 2 years from now.

Now that FFXIV is a good, polished game, it will be fine. Look at FFXI, it's 13 years old now and a very niche game and still P2P. I doubt they are worried.

• ZeroPointNRGZeroPointNRG Member Posts: 70

UI is sharp and highly customizable

Graphics are great

Character creation process is great, lots of options

Early group content intended to teach new players the ropes

Fates, (open world events for those unaware). 

Cross-classing

Subscription based revenue system

Dislikes:

Level 2-15+ my armor is atrocious. My male CNJ looks like Mary Poppins.

Fetch quests. Too much running back and forth.

Lack of enough good info about crafting, materia, etc.. Maybe I missed it.

Music sounds like it should be used for an anti anxiety audio tape. Boring.

Error 3102. I haven't been able to log in to NA/EU servers for over 12 hours. 

I still don't like the base 2.5 second global cool-down. Combat feels slow. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Interesting that people will give a game a pass just because you rent access to their servers.  Rift, EQ2, LotRO, WoW, GW2, Tera, and a host of other themeparks are all just as good.

It's certainly not better and obviously P2P didn't make it better development since they had to do a reboot of the game and it's still rocked with login issues this late in development.  It's funny that F2P games get taken to task when they have pre-launch and launch errors but P2P games still get to hide behind "beta" even though people have paid a lot for the game and they are taking money for pre-orders/subscriptions.

I don't think there are a lot players who hate F2P with a passion or this wouldn't be one of the last games to try P2P.  The market didn't move to sub-free because the publishers wanted that.  It's because the players have voted with their wallets.

It will be interesting to see how the P2P rhetoric holds up a year or two from now.  It's easy to take pot shots at Rift when you're (re)launching a game, but let's see how the horn blows 2 years from now.

You seem to downplay exactly HOW important this is to some of us. There is a crap ton of garbage I will give a pass to just to avoid a Cash Shop. You use the term "Rent access" as it's a derogatory term, but in those F2P games someone still has to pay the rent. But that's OK as long as it's not you? So then if you don't pay for the game, you get a lesser experience.

And don't give my GW2 Cash Shop is fine. It isn't. Grinding Chest event after chest event after chest event in between instances of CoF P1 just to be able to earn enough gold so I can do other things I'd rather have been doing in the 1st place because the economy is so bad nothing has any value. Or I can just drop $20 bucks and call it a day.

So yeah, I'll "Rent" my own time on their servers rather than let someone else pay. Because that someone else WILL have a better experience than me. There is an old expression. "There's no free lunch" 

And I still believe Rift's conversion to F2P was more to do with Trion's failure as a company than Rift's failure as a game. It could have stayed P2P just fine if Trion hadn't messed up with EoN and Def.

Another consideration. This game's primary market is not in the West. If the Japanese market will bear a P2P title, then this game will not go F2P just because NA kiddies are too cheap to drop 13 bucks a month..

• faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by striderbob

Now that FFXIV is a good, polished game, it will be fine. Look at FFXI, it's 13 years old now and a very niche game and still P2P. I doubt they are worried.

That's the thing, it's 13 years old. Things are different now, highly polished (which I agree with) or not.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

- can have all classes/jobs 1 char

- full inventory avaible at start

- duty finder

dislike

- game is too easy,

- no 2 hand or dual wield melee dps class

- no thief/rogue

- cant votekick player from party (dps healer aye! ><)

- some classes feels weaker then others

- shared limit break, no limit break use for tank and healer so far, dps limit break much better

- gear stats dont give that "HOLY SHIT" feel

- skill animation are way too flashy!

- global cooldown is too long

- character customation is very limited

- voice act is horrible, never lolled so hard for bad voice act

- quest are a lot running around

- crafting feels very slow and boring

- fishing is boring, click use,click get fish out.

- there is no secrets in world, no treasure chest hide at corner map.

- no mini games, gief FF 8 card game plz

- second class level feels grinding after done with main class most quest

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

Like:

-Being able to login to my character.

Dislike:

-Not being able to login to my character

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

+ Graphics. I didn't realize how important graphics were to me until I seen the EQN reveal. After playing this I am very pleased. The game is gorgeous!

+ Character customization. Lots of ways to make your character look different. Highlanders look different than humans, despite them being the same race due to where they live. Being able to choose a background and diety. 

+ Cinematics.

+ Having different starting areas.

+ Having racial differences in stats. Makes sense.

+ The Recall/Teleport system, and being able to use the network in general to get around faster.

+ The population size. Hate playing in empty worlds.

+ The pacing of new gear and how good most of it looks. 

+ Adventure Guild and Class quests. They're almost enough by themselves for me to level up on.

+ I can press "H" to bring up a log that tells me what to kill to get even more xp as I roll along.

+ The writing and storytelling. They aren't afraid to curse, and they have accents for their characters.

+ Combat pacing and looks

+ The ability to assign stats

+ Armoury system.

+ The ability to be all classes on one character

+ Fate system. I've always been a fan of the Public Quest system since WAR introduced it. I like how its not the main focus in this game and serves as a nice distraction and help in the xp department.

Dislikes:

- No way to skip through dialogue and some cutscenes. Only a problem if you reroll due to not liking your characters look. An option to change your race and the look of that race would be nice.

- No voice overs for quests or dialogue. My character never speaks...

- Some of the side quests, although the writing tends to make up for it.

- No real class customization (ie. talent trees, or multiple ways to change the core of how the class plays like in DAoC)

- Not many jobs. Almost none that I'm interested in and that fits my playstyle (Redmage, Ninja etc.)

- Zoning. Once you learn your way around, you're zipping around through zones quickly, so you're running into those loading screens often. Typically takes about 10-20 secs per loading screen.

- The inability to choose your own starting area.

- The lack of direction on how to get sub classes. They tell you to go to other guildhalls to get them, but not how to get to the other countries to do the quests.

- The limitness of weapons per class. Luckily the Gladiator uses a sword and board, or I'd be pissed. But why can't a Berserker use a 2-handed sword for example, or a gladiator use a mace or axe?

Overall:

I'm pleasantly surprised by this game and I'm impressed. I typically don't like themepark MMO's since I hate the quality of questing found in them, but FF14 is a well polished game with good storytelling. It makes me WANT to stay logged in to see what the next stage of the story may be. 

It's a game that encourages grouping by not penalizing you when fighting other peoples mobs. SE also scatters large mobs that are beyond the skill level of the normal level range for that area, which players are randomly teaming up to take down. Reminds me of how things were in the early days of the genre.

My only real regret is that I can't play this as much as I want, since I have a 40/hr week job and that I won't be able to subscribe until the end of this month. 

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

Like:

- character/class/job system - I'm an altaholic and originally had mixed feelings on this but I'm LOVING how this system works

- starting with plenty of inventory space

- the leve/hest system is a nice way to grind without the grind

- game is pretty (gameplay > graphics but having nice visuals is a plus)

- keybinds and settings apply to all of your classes (and considering how many MMORPGs are lame about how this is done per character I actually consider this a plus "like")

- other than loading way too many loading screens the fact that the game is designed to work with PS3 isn't apparent - and I consider that a "like" because I'm beyond sick of the effect of console limitations and/or console-first design on PC games

Dislike

- Many of my dislikes can be summaries as:  SQEN and FFXIV's designer think players are so incredibly stupid and helpless that they've made a game that won't "stress" (producer's word) them too much.  I don't think much of the average MMORPG player in today's all too casual MMORPG days, but even I don't think the average player is as stupid and helpless as SQEN thinks they are.  If you have MMORPG and/or a brain you may actually laugh out loud at how comically dumbed down or babied some elements of the noob experience are in FFXIV.

- I consider MMORPGs to be a thinking persons genre; clearly SQEN entirely disagrees and thinks most MMORPG players are beyond idiot and incapable of thinking.

- solo ez-mode gameplay style amazingly (sad that it's possible or done) made even easier, less challenging, and dumbed down

- way, way, WAY too many loading screens.  MMORPGs should be as seamless as possible.  FFXIV is anything but.

- lame delays going in/out of cutscene,  Again, this is 2013, transitions should be seamless and unnoticeable.  Not brutally clunky.

-lack of seamless world (see previous 2 points that emphasize this)

- 2.5s GCD is brutal.  Utterly brutal.  It slows the pace in a way that's not necessary in a game that's already dumbed down so much.  I'd imagine that by endgame you have enough +skill speed items that you end up back at a more normal and tolerable 1.5s, and this was done because SQEN thinks you're all morons and helpless.  Be sure to thank them for having such a high opinion of MMORPG players.

- unavoidable ESRB and log screen when game loads - MMORPGs should load up NOW, no forced delays; also, unavoidable intro movie is brutal should you want to make more than one character; in fact, the whole intro sequence is utterly brutal and something that's inspired me to not make more than one character - I do not want to ever endure that again.

- fates are nothing more than mobs pop out of thin air and get zerged into oblivion thus far; I've seen one collect style where you zerg mobs then have to pick up and carry items to turn in 50 yards away

- looting is fully automatic - you don't even have to click and most of the time don't even notice whether there is any loot; which is somewhat ok early on because there IS NO LOOT - you get some crafting mats but I've yet to see an item drop and had about 3 vendor trash drops in about 50 levels total worth of leveling fighting classes.  I would imagine real loot drops happen later in the game and this is another "protect the noobs from thinking measure."  Plus, even though it's more convenient than ever, there's just something weird about not having to loot.

- ultra generic loot.  Again, I imagine/hope this changes as you get further in, but early on, quest rewards, vendor bought, and crafted gear are all exactly the same items.  You could buy a lvl 5 staff which is the same staff you could craft or you could get the same staff from your level 5 quest - same exact item.  Simplistic.  Generic.  Don't "stress" players there Yoshi, wouldn't want their one functioning brain cell to implode.

- SQEN is acting like players have never seen MMORPGs before.  For sure there may be some players totally new to the genre but the dumbing down and treating everyone like clueless infants is really pathetic.  The majority of people who play this game will have SOME MMORPG experience and shouldn't be treated like they have no brain at all

- I didn't play FFXI but I know it was a more hardcore game along the lines of EQ or DAoC (which I did play).  An MMORPG with balls.  FFXIV is the polar opposite.  I find that kind of sad when you consider FFXI is beloved by many and still played today.  People will be done with FFXIV in 3-6 months.  As in, done.  Period.  FFXI is a ferocious tiger of legendary status.  FFXIV is a baby mewling kitten that will only be "legendary" for being SWTOR 2.0.

- weak cities don't really feel like cities since they have zoning; lack the epic/open feel of huge cities in other games like GW2, WoW, SWTOR; some of the cities are a little more wide open and don't feel as fake and contrained, they're not all as bad as Ul'Duh.

- armory system is somewhat cool but has zero capacity for organizing (I have ALL classes unlocked and it a mess even at low levels and without jobs in the mix).  I easily reached the point where I had all 25 weapon slots filled (due to having some upgrades for classes I made via crafting on deck).  I don't think you get retainers for more storage until 20 (my highest is 15, saving doing instances til friends who didn't get in OB can play) and since I have nothing else to do except level other classes and craft, I'm having inventory issues.

- I can't figure out how to have multiple gear sets for the same class where it keeps the hotbars different.  For ex, even early I would use a different setup for my gladiator for dps mode vs tank mode.  I'm thinking I just don't know how to do this right - you get way more gear save slots than classes so there must be a way to do this that's just not very intuitive or well presented.

- despite the game being dumbed down to infantile for the most part a lot of things are still not very intuitive.  You can buy dye but how do you use it? Well, you must do a quest to unlock the dying ability that only exists in 1 out of the way spot in 1 of the 3 starting areas that you would only know existed if you played before, googled, someone told you, or you found by accident.  When you buy dye and can't use it there's zero hint of WHY you can't use it, it just can't be used.  That kind of obtuse thing is common.  I find myself looking up a lot of things up because I know there's things that can be done but there's never any hint of them in the game unless you stumble into them by accident.  It's somewhat part of SQEN's philosophy that players are all dumber than hell so let's not push too much info on them - as in, if it's not a critical function to solo ez-mode leveling, you don't need to know about it.  Sigh.

- downside of class system is that you could spend 3x the amount of time in a noob area, congestion could be far worse than normal at release due to this since people won't necessarily level up and move on, some will level up and start multi classing.

- no naming policy or no enforcing of it...in a sub-based game...with supposed GMing active in OB...way too many blatantly offensive names (on top of way too many idiotic and immersion destroying names); angry pubescents deciding to go off in chat also sucks.  There is NO way to report someone directly from chat or to simply report someone who's blatantly offending without going thru an elaborate ticket system.  I expect that in F2P where maintating quality is the lowest priority.  in a P2P, I expect much better.

- no tooltip item compare (current system shows you changes to armor/magic resist only and not changes to stats like str, int, etc, and doesn't show old piece vs new piece as separate tips so you can even see wtf you're wearing without opening char sheet and doing a "manual compare" - this is barbaric and pitiful for ANY modern RPG of any RPG subgenre

- lots of game mechanics are buried, hidden, automatic.  Some of this is likely due to shielding helpless noobs from "stressing" too much but overall it gives a dumbed down feel even if some of those systems actually exist.

- UI is customizeable in the most simplistic of ways.  But you can't for example, make your quest tracker list longer even though there's tons of space (at 1980x1020) for it to be about twice as long.  The system seems a lot less flexible than other similar systems I've seen (better than nothing, I suppose).

Overall:

- who knows since obviously they have designed the leveling to be ultra solo ez mode and I'd estimate veterans can hit cap (including some leveling of side classes to support jobs AND crafting) in ~ 1 week and casuals in a month or less.  That's game over unless there's some significant endgame to keep busy, and given the feel of the game early on, the simplicity of class design, and overall gutting of the MMORPG genre represented by FFXIV, I'm seriously doubting the endgame is going to be anything remarkable or anything that can keep players busy for years and justify a sub.

- game is enough fun even with being dumbed down to infantile levels that'd make the panda proud; should be able to have enough fun with it to justify the 30 box price and a couple of months of subbing.  IMO, subs are trivial for games that are worth the sub.  Problem is, most games are not worth a sub, and I fear FFXIV, being a dumber than usual post WoW clone, will be the same.

- we'll see; hope I'm wrong

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Originally posted by Voqar

Like:

- character/class/job system - I'm an altaholic and originally had mixed feelings on this but I'm LOVING how this system works

- starting with plenty of inventory space

- the leve/hest system is a nice way to grind without the grind

- game is pretty (gameplay > graphics but having nice visuals is a plus)

- keybinds and settings apply to all of your classes (and considering how many MMORPGs are lame about how this is done per character I actually consider this a plus "like")

- other than loading way too many loading screens the fact that the game is designed to work with PS3 isn't apparent - and I consider that a "like" because I'm beyond sick of the effect of console limitations and/or console-first design on PC games

Dislike

- Many of my dislikes can be summaries as:  SQEN and FFXIV's designer think players are so incredibly stupid and helpless that they've made a game that won't "stress" (producer's word) them too much.  I don't think much of the average MMORPG player in today's all too casual MMORPG days, but even I don't think the average player is as stupid and helpless as SQEN thinks they are.  If you have MMORPG and/or a brain you may actually laugh out loud at how comically dumbed down or babied some elements of the noob experience are in FFXIV.

- I consider MMORPGs to be a thinking persons genre; clearly SQEN entirely disagrees and thinks most MMORPG players are beyond idiot and incapable of thinking.

- solo ez-mode gameplay style amazingly (sad that it's possible or done) made even easier, less challenging, and dumbed down

- way, way, WAY too many loading screens.  MMORPGs should be as seamless as possible.  FFXIV is anything but.

- lame delays going in/out of cutscene,  Again, this is 2013, transitions should be seamless and unnoticeable.  Not brutally clunky.

-lack of seamless world (see previous 2 points that emphasize this)

- 2.5s GCD is brutal.  Utterly brutal.  It slows the pace in a way that's not necessary in a game that's already dumbed down so much.  I'd imagine that by endgame you have enough +skill speed items that you end up back at a more normal and tolerable 1.5s, and this was done because SQEN thinks you're all morons and helpless.  Be sure to thank them for having such a high opinion of MMORPG players.

- unavoidable ESRB and log screen when game loads - MMORPGs should load up NOW, no forced delays; also, unavoidable intro movie is brutal should you want to make more than one character; in fact, the whole intro sequence is utterly brutal and something that's inspired me to not make more than one character - I do not want to ever endure that again.

- fates are nothing more than mobs pop out of thin air and get zerged into oblivion thus far; I've seen one collect style where you zerg mobs then have to pick up and carry items to turn in 50 yards away

- looting is fully automatic - you don't even have to click and most of the time don't even notice whether there is any loot; which is somewhat ok early on because there IS NO LOOT - you get some crafting mats but I've yet to see an item drop and had about 3 vendor trash drops in about 50 levels total worth of leveling fighting classes.  I would imagine real loot drops happen later in the game and this is another "protect the noobs from thinking measure."  Plus, even though it's more convenient than ever, there's just something weird about not having to loot.

- ultra generic loot.  Again, I imagine/hope this changes as you get further in, but early on, quest rewards, vendor bought, and crafted gear are all exactly the same items.  You could buy a lvl 5 staff which is the same staff you could craft or you could get the same staff from your level 5 quest - same exact item.  Simplistic.  Generic.  Don't "stress" players there Yoshi, wouldn't want their one functioning brain cell to implode.

- SQEN is acting like players have never seen MMORPGs before.  For sure there may be some players totally new to the genre but the dumbing down and treating everyone like clueless infants is really pathetic.  The majority of people who play this game will have SOME MMORPG experience and shouldn't be treated like they have no brain at all

- I didn't play FFXI but I know it was a more hardcore game along the lines of EQ or DAoC (which I did play).  An MMORPG with balls.  FFXIV is the polar opposite.  I find that kind of sad when you consider FFXI is beloved by many and still played today.  People will be done with FFXIV in 3-6 months.  As in, done.  Period.  FFXI is a ferocious tiger of legendary status.  FFXIV is a baby mewling kitten that will only be "legendary" for being SWTOR 2.0.

- weak cities don't really feel like cities since they have zoning; lack the epic/open feel of huge cities in other games like GW2, WoW, SWTOR; some of the cities are a little more wide open and don't feel as fake and contrained, they're not all as bad as Ul'Duh.

- armory system is somewhat cool but has zero capacity for organizing (I have ALL classes unlocked and it a mess even at low levels and without jobs in the mix).  I easily reached the point where I had all 25 weapon slots filled (due to having some upgrades for classes I made via crafting on deck).  I don't think you get retainers for more storage until 20 (my highest is 15, saving doing instances til friends who didn't get in OB can play) and since I have nothing else to do except level other classes and craft, I'm having inventory issues.

- I can't figure out how to have multiple gear sets for the same class where it keeps the hotbars different.  For ex, even early I would use a different setup for my gladiator for dps mode vs tank mode.  I'm thinking I just don't know how to do this right - you get way more gear save slots than classes so there must be a way to do this that's just not very intuitive or well presented.

- despite the game being dumbed down to infantile for the most part a lot of things are still not very intuitive.  You can buy dye but how do you use it? Well, you must do a quest to unlock the dying ability that only exists in 1 out of the way spot in 1 of the 3 starting areas that you would only know existed if you played before, googled, someone told you, or you found by accident.  When you buy dye and can't use it there's zero hint of WHY you can't use it, it just can't be used.  That kind of obtuse thing is common.  I find myself looking up a lot of things up because I know there's things that can be done but there's never any hint of them in the game unless you stumble into them by accident.  It's somewhat part of SQEN's philosophy that players are all dumber than hell so let's not push too much info on them - as in, if it's not a critical function to solo ez-mode leveling, you don't need to know about it.  Sigh.

- downside of class system is that you could spend 3x the amount of time in a noob area, congestion could be far worse than normal at release due to this since people won't necessarily level up and move on, some will level up and start multi classing.

- no naming policy or no enforcing of it...in a sub-based game...with supposed GMing active in OB...way too many blatantly offensive names (on top of way too many idiotic and immersion destroying names); angry pubescents deciding to go off in chat also sucks.  There is NO way to report someone directly from chat or to simply report someone who's blatantly offending without going thru an elaborate ticket system.  I expect that in F2P where maintating quality is the lowest priority.  in a P2P, I expect much better.

- no tooltip item compare (current system shows you changes to armor/magic resist only and not changes to stats like str, int, etc, and doesn't show old piece vs new piece as separate tips so you can even see wtf you're wearing without opening char sheet and doing a "manual compare" - this is barbaric and pitiful for ANY modern RPG of any RPG subgenre

- lots of game mechanics are buried, hidden, automatic.  Some of this is likely due to shielding helpless noobs from "stressing" too much but overall it gives a dumbed down feel even if some of those systems actually exist.

- UI is customizeable in the most simplistic of ways.  But you can't for example, make your quest tracker list longer even though there's tons of space (at 1980x1020) for it to be about twice as long.  The system seems a lot less flexible than other similar systems I've seen (better than nothing, I suppose).

Overall:

- who knows since obviously they have designed the leveling to be ultra solo ez mode and I'd estimate veterans can hit cap (including some leveling of side classes to support jobs AND crafting) in ~ 1 week and casuals in a month or less.  That's game over unless there's some significant endgame to keep busy, and given the feel of the game early on, the simplicity of class design, and overall gutting of the MMORPG genre represented by FFXIV, I'm seriously doubting the endgame is going to be anything remarkable or anything that can keep players busy for years and justify a sub.

- game is enough fun even with being dumbed down to infantile levels that'd make the panda proud; should be able to have enough fun with it to justify the 30 box price and a couple of months of subbing.  IMO, subs are trivial for games that are worth the sub.  Problem is, most games are not worth a sub, and I fear FFXIV, being a dumber than usual post WoW clone, will be the same.

- we'll see; hope I'm wrong

well writed:) totally with you tis one. hit 20 lvl in first day. took about 12 hour or so. players hit max lvl in week and then shit storm start; "there is nothing to do max lvl!" "where is all raids?"

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354
    Like:

Everything

Dislike:

Nothing

sorry but I am a fan Boy, Can not help but to like everything :P even 3201 wooot woot
  • YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

The F2P haters and just the pure FF fanboys will ignore all these points. I have most the FF console games and had friends who already purchased this and I was hoping to like it. But its so generic and combat is dull and slow to me. Note I said to me so this is my opinion of the game. The game adds nothing new at all. Just like the claims of so many F2P haters about all the WoW clones. This is another one but with a sub. I wish the game well and who knows with certain changes I may have even enjoyed it.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Yizle

The F2P haters and just the pure FF fanboys will ignore all these points. I have most the FF console games and had friends who already purchased this and I was hoping to like it. But its so generic and combat is dull and slow to me. Note I said to me so this is my opinion of the game. The game adds nothing new at all. Just like the claims of so many F2P haters about all the WoW clones. This is another one but with a sub. I wish the game well and who knows with certain changes I may have even enjoyed it.

It's the FF forums, what do you expect? The only other fanbase that is capable of comparable lvls of self-delusion would be star wars. Logic doesn't work here, it's all about how many ways you can convince yourself (and hopefully others) that FF is flawless, good, or the best thing ever.

XIV does have some good points, and I'm still enjoying it (though still on the fence). Of course the graphics are amazing, but most of the content is laughably easy. They have a few quests that are actually somewhat of a challenge first time (like the ACN lvl 20 quest), but it's very short lived. Also little things like not being able to whisper people using the duty finder is a HUGE pain in the butt, when you're trying to find a group yourself instead of waiting in a que for 1-3hours. It's also kinda wierd that pre-20 you can Que as a healer if you're a CNJ, but not as an ACN / THM (even though ACN & THM can heal just as well if not better). There should be an option there, provided you have a heal on your hotbar, and meet a certain MND threshhold.

There's a lot I could go into, but I'll save it for once the game is launched. Currently there is just way too much purposefully locked from players to get into it. I'm sure the game will be popular enough, but there's a lot of headaches this beta. Furthermore, I'd be surprised if SE extends it at all. They haven't done such things in the past, but who knows.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

Likes: graphics, combat, character creation, class system, traditional feel to game, performance. 

The graphics were very nice and not demanding on the system for the eye candy you get.

The character creation is easy to use and gives you enough options.

Class system looks like a plus though not sure in the long run.

Feels like old Wow more than it feels like GW2 if you know what I mean.

Dislikes:crafting, most females look like hookers, to much zoning, UI, WAY to easy.

Nothing like working your butt off to get your first heal potion (level 12) in crafting to find its no better then the one they have been handing out like candy while you level. Everyone can craft everything in the long run I see most being self sufficient. 

My female toon gives a easy view under her skirt. This was not a easy fix and when I found one I still looked like a hooker.

A lot of zoning a bit much for my taste though you do zone pretty quick.

The UI in places feels like a console import and it can be a pain. (crafting for one)

Tired of MMO's where the only challenge to leveling is to guess how many clicks it takes to get to max level in this case level 20.

Over all: I will pass and wait some more. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Seamless is not really better,it is trying to draw as you go and most often in very close view with graphics dumb down badly at short distances.There is always going to be trade off.

I have heard a lot of people talk about maps,without explaining them all over again,they are actually quite good,i think people need to learn their surroundings a bit to understand it.

I even did the harvesting/mining stuff as well,getting out there having to look for stuff is actually nice and like i said you learn your surroundings really well.

Maps are actually more of the hand holding ,we don't need them at all,not like we earn them in game,in FFXI you had to actually buy them,i prefer a cartography skill rather than just give you free maps.

People just need to get used to something a tad different.I go way back when all games were WASD,i absolutely could not stand when i had to change to using mouse+keyboard ,but after awhile,i realized it was better and would never go back to WASD.Everything in UI and maps is there you just need to get used to it,well there was something missing but i can't remember what that was anymore lol.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.