Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you prefer to have 'your own gender' character, opposite or are you not bothered?

AngelxxAngelxx Member Posts: 81
Just asking out of curiosity, do you usually stick to creating your-own-gender character?

Comments

• shadowmonkeshadowmonke Member Posts: 48

i created a female character because I'm gay and I want to get married to a guy

fucking lame

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

I'm a male and I've always played male characters. Guss I never played a girl character, cause maybe people would think and treat me like an actuall girl. Since mmo's are with real people, I don't what them to get the wrong idea.

Offline rpg's I don't mind playing female characters, just don't trust being one online.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

it doesnt bother me. I usually go with whatever theme or story Im rolling with or sometimes evenjust which looks best. just because you think a male/female character of a mmo race looks better shows no bearing on your sexuality.

If you are bothered by the idea of someone playing a gender opposite their on the you are most likely superficial and have an immature mindset inappropriate for a social, albeit mostly anonymous  game.

and .. 

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    i always play a black woman, because theyre hot
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    I'm a straight male and I always create the hottest female toon that a can..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• AngelxxAngelxx Member Posts: 81
    Well, personally, I admit that sometimes I like to create opposite-gender characters. I was really tempted to create a male miqo'te in Realm Reborn, too, because I honestly find them irresistibly cute. Ended up with female miqo'te though, even though somehow they seem a bit less cute, cause like one of you said, sometimes people can be quite judgmental about it, and they call it 'cheating'.. which I think is a little bit stupid. Will probably just find some male miqo'te to marry lol
  • ZydariZydari Member UncommonPosts: 84
    I played a female toon once in EQ and got hit on a lot and haven't played one since. Now having said that, I would play a female character if I had to due to class restrictions or something like that if I wanted to play that class. Haven't had that situation come up yet though in a MMO.

Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor.

Thomas Jefferson

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    I play young redheaded archer chicks and old black male priests in most MMOs.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I create whatever I feel like that day. If it's female I give her a name that I think most females wouldn't give to themselves. 8 times out of 10 my preferred female name is available whether the game is new or 6 years old.

Most of the time I create male characters.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Angelxx
    Just asking out of curiosity, do you usually stick to creating your-own-gender character?

Females for healers and ranged classes, males for melee classes.  I'm leaning towards Bard and White Mage so I made a female Miqo'te

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    I play both. But I do make sure on my female toons that peeps know im G.I.R.L. But then again I play with mostly the same people every game on mumble or TS.

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Can and do play both. If people have a problem with that its on their on sick twisted self. 
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Own gender  A L W A Y S
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Since I will have no alts in FFXIV and I really care about the story, atmosphere and choices of my character, I chose something I could stand.

So it stood between following personas:: a female "witch", a very old male warrior or a tiny young warrior.  I find all those three choices to be interesting and be something I can stand and evolve.

This time around I chose "very old male warrior", so I made a Hyur Highlander with very pale skin, greyish hair and proper mature haircut. His face also looks "hardened" but remorseful.

• braamerbraamer Member UncommonPosts: 88
    I play both, depending on the class. As the post above stated, I'm normally a male for melee classes and a female for casters.
  • NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

Fairly indifferent, really.

I used to make more opposite-gender chars in the past, lately I've been making more same-gender ones. I seem to get attached to those more, and it doesn't confuse people as much.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    My gender

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• iRelsiRels Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Golelorn
    Can and do play both. If people have a problem with that its on their on sick twisted self. 

...What? Felt some hate in that statement. Sickos should be those old men who play as little girls. /sighs

Males playing as females may deceive others. And I don't like deceiving people (in such a way, at least xD). Seriously.

Personally I prefer playing as a male (I prefer being seen as such). Main character is always one. In case I create a sub, I use similar (non-girly, preferably) names so people would recognize. Example: Ray Knight (male), Ray Knightess (female). Or even better: Raynit, Raynitess (interesting, huh?).

This all is assuming you're a man (obviously). 'Cause... women? Who cares, hah. I'd even encourage. Lol.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

*THAT* topic again.....

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

I'm tempted to put together an image showing off all the characters I've devoted substantial time to in the MMOs I've played.  There are monsters of varoius shapes, sizes, and genders, human men of different ages, builds, and skin colors, undead women and men, Victoria's secret models with horns, goth women, cat women, and so on.

I'm not trying to hide behind my characters, and since some people have serious emotional reactions when they discover a player is not who they imagined them to be, I'd have no problem displaying a little Mars symbol in my character's name tag.

I roll characters I think look cool, have good animations, look good in the game's armor, etc.  For me, in this game, that's a female Miqo'te.  Whether plate or robes or the bard artifact armor or mittens, they can pull off every look in the game IMO.  In a game that lets you play every class, that was a big factor for me.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Usually male but I personally don't care as I see the character as "a character" and not "me".

For example, I made a male dark elf character in Final Fantasy as a gladiator.

However, I wanted to try archer but I felt one of those cat lady people (You can tell I don't care about names either) might seem more interesting "as a character".

And yes I know you can play all classes on one character but I like the idea of different personas, different characters embodying different roles.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

I used to always make all male characters.

I now almost always make all female characters.

It's kind of funny.  I installed and fired up VGSOH the other day and all my old characters were male and I was like, wow, it's been a LONG time since I've played this.

45.  Married to a hottie.  Thoroughly straight.

I'm not sure why exactly.  I guess I prefer looking at the female form more than I do looking at the male form.  Playing a cutesy male character doesn't do anything for me.

I'm not against RP and I'm not really into RP.  To me, my avatar is something for displaying gear and is a bag of stats and skills.  I don't consider my character to be an extension of me.

I like my characters to look good but I'm not like "ooh, these are some smexy pixels," because I do have RL involvement with another human and I'm not depraved like so many basement dwellers with zero hope of intimate interacts with other humans.

I don't care what other players do with the gender of their avatars.  I do wish I could delete the accounts of people that give their avatars stupid, clever, offensive, religious, drug-related, or otherwise immersion destroying names.  In a game with a sub, I expect better than F2P doodtopia.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Voqar

I used to always make all male characters.

I now almost always make all female characters.

It's kind of funny.  I installed and fired up VGSOH the other day and all my old characters were male and I was like, wow, it's been a LONG time since I've played this.

45.  Married to a hottie.  Thoroughly straight.

I'm not sure why exactly.  I guess I prefer looking at the female form more than I do looking at the male form.  Playing a cutesy male character doesn't do anything for me.

I'm not against RP and I'm not really into RP.  To me, my avatar is something for displaying gear and is a bag of stats and skills.  I don't consider my character to be an extension of me.

I like my characters to look good but I'm not like "ooh, these are some smexy pixels," because I do have RL involvement with another human and I'm not depraved like so many basement dwellers with zero hope of intimate interacts with other humans.

I don't care what other players do with the gender of their avatars.  I do wish I could delete the accounts of people that give their avatars stupid, clever, offensive, religious, drug-related, or otherwise immersion destroying names.  In a game with a sub, I expect better than F2P doodtopia.

FF games tend to borrow heavily from religious themes. 

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

When it's only humans as an option I go for own gender and try to make my character look like my real self.

It doesn't bother me if other people want to roleplay a different gender, after all these games we play are RPG's and if a player is any good at it he or she might fool allot of people.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

playing female cat and act like girl player. i want see what hapens....

so far some one wanted have sex with me, then there was players that flirt and pass loot for me^^