Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elikal's TESO Video Comment (yey) ^^

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I always wanted to make a decent video comment. Ok, a bit rambling, but have mercy on my first video where you don`t just *hear* me. It is based on the Quake Con and some leak vids. It always feels easier to speak my ideas than write them, somehow, and I wanted finally to break the barrier to be not just an invisible voice in my comments. teh.

(It's not really anything totally new, but now you can see me say it. duh.)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Interestingly enough, you have to be viewing the full website view to see there is a video, the skinny phone client doesn't display it for viewing.

No matter, I never watch video blogs, preferring to read my commentary rather than having it "talked" to me. If you get a chance, perhaps a short tldw written summary version could be posted with it as well.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Interestingly enough, you have to be viewing the full website view to see there is a video, the skinny phone client doesn't display it for viewing. No matter, I never watch video blogs, preferring to read my commentary rather than having it "talked" to me. If you get a chance, perhaps a short tldw written summary version could be posted with it as well.

Ohh. Ok. Maybe later though. ^^;

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

Well after watching your video, I do most certainly have to agree with what you want in an MMO, as I want pretty much the same thing. 

However, leaked videos are never a good way to judge a game. Even you said the players had no idea what they where doing. They really sucked.

I also have to mention since you said you played other TES games, that the change from single player to MMO is something you are going to have to get used to. You said you didn't like how people ran through things. I agree. However, people will do it no matter the danger. People play differently and in a public dungeon, you get to see this first hand which can break immersion for you. Public dungeons will not be a very good way to judge difficulty. People are just going to run through them like maniacs high on sugar.

As for the atmosphere of the world, I don't know. It looks fine to me. Looked like skyrim.  The reason they continue to show Skyrim and Morrowind is because it's the 2 places most of their players can relate too. I think they are trying to trigger nostalgia. Is it working? LOL probably not. Though that is just me.

I do not agree with you on your gear comments though. You have to remember, a beta, is a beta. People all start from the beginning and they do not have much time to get the gear that looks nice. I can't ever remembering starting in a TES game with out wearing rags. The first gear you tend to find usually doesn't look any better. As for the official presentation video, well it was fairly short, and you can't judge the gear based on such a video really.

Truthfully, I never been able to accuratly judge the type of gear from just videos. I usually have to get into the game and look.

As for being hard starting from level 1, I agree, it should be more difficult. That however tends to be refined during the open beta phases. Almost every beta I have been part of, when they get into open beta is when they really start to tweak difficulty, since they can do so more accurately.  It's a leaked video. There is a good reason why Zeni doesn't want people leaking, because leaked videos do not show a good representation of what they are going for. You can get the wrong ideas very easily.

Anyway, that is my thoughts on the matter.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

Ok i will admit I have not seen much on this game but I agree with alot of what you say when it comes to how a game presents it's self cause if I don't like a game from the get go I will most likely not like it latter.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• SengellSengell Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Most likely a games difficulty is set lower in test phase to play it more. Furthermore people tend to rush through content without looking left and right to reach the endgame asap, because they want to know wether it is a good game with exciting challenges on max level. Because the "real" game begins then for most people actually.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Exactly this somfar is my greatest worry, i call it creating a living and breathing world, things that Wow, Gw2 and lotro  for excample are very good at,  SWTOR however for example failed here..

for an mmo this is so important, almost as important as the actuall combat feel..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    You...

FORGOT THE APOSTROPHE!!!

Now I can't live with myself!

>.<

Will comment on video later. It's...invisible on this scrawny underfed iPhone version of mmorpg.com...

Since I have no iphone or no smartphone I dunno about that.

Well, warui warui, but in my language we don't use apostrophs, so I often forget them. Also on German keyboard the apostroph is sort of difficult to type, if you type fast, since it is rarely used. Sort of like a special sign.

But extra for you I give you this nice cartoon. ^^

• MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176

Vielen Dank für Video, Grüße aus Schweden.

I missed those leaked videos, guess they got removed pretty quickly.

How close or far off do you think the game is compared to Skyrim on those leaked videos?

• andyredandyred Member Posts: 4

I love your video, and I could listen to you all day :-)

I see your point, especially about everyone walking around in the Brown Cloth Clothing and having limited Skills available, but I would guess that the game previews are limited at the moment to what the players can use and find.

In the official presentation the main player was only Level 16, so I'm hoping there would be a lot more gear available above those levels, especially unique uncommon items so we don't all end up wearing the same stuff s everyone else just because it's the best for that current level.

• BacchiraBacchira Member Posts: 50

That was a great clip and I had a few lols when you got all worked up, mostly because I feel the same way :)

I agree that visuals and gameplay is a package deal, one is not enough. For me it's also a lot about animations, how you move and the feeling you get when you move around the world. I want to feel good about my character, and smooth animations can go a long way to accomplish this. Forth pillar for me is sound, not the music as much as the sounds associated with movements and abilities, that can make a huge difference for my experience of a game. If I hear a boink sound when casing a fireball I know I won't stay in that game for long.

I do however like to look plain when I start a game. Some games wants to portray you as a great savior right from the get go. I think a lot is lost that way, I want to work my way up. But yes, the game has to be fun from the start, even with the limited abilities you have when you're fresh from the character creation. Gameplay can be hard to judge on a video though. It may look like they are just randomly hacking and slashing but it could still be fun when you actually play the game (not saying ESO will be this or that, but it's still possible).

Oh, and one more thing. I like corpse runs. Or rather, I hate them, which makes me want to stay alive much more, which is a good thing.  Spawning next to your dead body is in my book just as bad as being able to run through a dungeon.

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Thanks for posting this. Was a good listen and I am in agreement wih most (if not all) of what you said.
  • KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272
    Originally posted by Elikal

I always wanted to make a decent video comment. Ok, a bit rambling, but have mercy on my first video where you don`t just *hear* me. It is based on the Quake Con and some leak vids. It always feels easier to speak my ideas than write them, somehow, and I wanted finally to break the barrier to be not just an invisible voice in my comments. teh.

(It's not really anything totally new, but now you can see me say it. duh.)

Well made video commentary

I totally get what your saying about danger and accomplishment; It simply isn't around like it was back in the day when MMORPGs were much more hardcore. I never played Everquest 2 yet I played original Everquest day one and let me tell you people still say it was the most hardcore MMORPG ever in the beginning. Just to be able to venture into areas close to your level was very risky and what makes me laugh to this day is the fact the MOB AI in Everquest was and is simply better (except RAID MOBs) then pretty much every MMORPG I have played to date and that is simply pathetic. This is why I chose to become more of a PvP player in MMOs as a human opponent is more exciting and interesting. Learning MOB AI is coming soon I figure yet it should have been around years ago, even if they had to continue with LOADING PLEASE WAIT...zones as there were in Everquest. PvE is a sore subject for me in general and this even includes raiding...simply amazed by the fact companies pour in millions to develop a MMO and they cannot even manage to make the MOBs/NPCs even remotely challenging. The early auguest ESO demo was rushed in my opinion and the guy was even moderately leveled...it was a demo and consider that in Skyrim you can literally pause combat to consume potions and use spells/skills which you will not be able to do in an MMO...so consider this carefully and you will ascertain what I am implying.

Graphics is something I can deal with as I grew up when arcade games were around and atari 2600 was my console gaming machine and I bought an APPLE IIE with money I made from farm jobs during the summer whilst in high school. I was fortunate enough to play Lord of the Ring Online and I really did enjoy the landscape and vistas of each area. I owned a house near the shire and I fought all the way to the top of Weathertop and it was simply beautiful. However the MOBs were pathetic and I remember playing my hunter and I was pulling MOBs in this one high level dungeon so fast it was all I was doing for hours one night and everyone commented on how I was seemingly trying to kill the group yet I couldn't...no matter how many MOBs I pulled. I reached max level first on my server and I was solo pulling 2-3 tree MOBs in this one zone I cannot recall and people were just watching me in amazement, yet the game was on easy mode in my opinion. Ended up dedicating myself strictly to Monster Play shortly thereafter and even that was poorly implimented. Gameplay owns Graphics hands down any day, yet at this point in gaming there should be decent graphics nonetheless. Colors should be one of the easiest things to change in an area to make it seem much more immersive...and lighting as well. Dark areas should be dark or even void of light...Everquest was so dark players were turning up their gamma levels on their video cards and getting lightstones was necessary until you got a magic weapon or played a race with nightvision. Everquest Next Debut had me floored....I was really impressed. I really believe the ESO videos you viewed were either dated or builds which are still being refined and polished graphically/gameplay wise; hopefully it will be at least on par with Skyrim or better.

I am a very experienced gamer and even though I was one of the most extreme hardcore powergamers I greatily desire to slow things down and enjoy the game much moreso instead of burning through content as I usually did as endgame offered much more then everything leading up to it. My son and I really enjoyed Elder Scrolls games and we are so looking forward to ESO and EQN and Playstation 4.

Your grammar is aight and english is good. I was fortunate enough to skip pretty much all grammar classes in my public education as I am sure I get more complaints then you have on forums and then some LOL.

Hopefully we will be playing ESO early spring and its everything we hope and more.