Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maybe I'm just spoiled by ArenaNet but...

aspireworksaspireworks Member UncommonPosts: 6

I'm really not a fan of Square Enix. Maybe it's just me, but they come across like cold businessmen in suits. Granted, the majority of them are. But after dealing with the warm and friendly team at ArenaNet, it was a bit of a shock. They come across as very detached and uncaring toward their customer base. 

That being said, I really do enjoy Realm Reborn. But I think Square Enix needs a friendlier overhaul. Any thoughts?

Comments

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    Did they take care of your problem? I only dealt with their CS once but it was a satisfactory experience.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Could you be more specific about which articles and people you are refering to in SquareEnix?
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Really? If anything it would be the opposite. Arenanet was quite terrible, at least at launch. Pretty much they had the "We know right, you guys don't know what you are talking about attitude" which fortunately they did finally change, though still it was a lingering issue for quite some time. FF14:ARR tended to shift away from it (which they were basically what Arenanet was on their own launch) and listened a lot more to feedback.

I honestly think they are doing fine, the only disconnect I could see is maybe being English to Japanese disconnect, though even that I feel is being actually handled very well for a foreign based game. 

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

I don't have a problem with their style of communication, I just want there to be a bit more of it.

Generally, I was happy with how YoshiP discussed problems. Just need more of that.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Think I'd rather them be cold than be like Anet and make friendly posts about nerfing your class.
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

how are you judging SE to say they are  "cold businessmen in suits" and "very detached and uncaring".

what interactions and where? or are you just talking out of your ass, as they say

• aspireworksaspireworks Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I'm judging that based on the way they word articles and deal with customer service. None of it is WRONG, per se, but I feel like I'm dealing with a big corporation that could care less about me.
  • jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by aspireworks

I'm really not a fan of Square Enix. Maybe it's just me, but they come across like cold businessmen in suits. Granted, the majority of them are. But after dealing with the warm and friendly team at ArenaNet, it was a bit of a shock. They come across as very detached and uncaring toward their customer base. 

That being said, I really do enjoy Realm Reborn. But I think Square Enix needs a friendlier overhaul. Any thoughts?

Are you talking about Customer Service when you eloquently refer to "them"? Because when I hear "Square Enix" and "Arenanet" I think of their development teams... And after being a DIEHARD GW1 fan I believe Arenanet is as cold as it gets with it's false marketing of a PvP-centric sequel (Hall of heroes, tourny's rewards etc,) that became a f2p PvE WvW zergfest.

Square Enix on the other hand said fuck this f2p fad taking over we are going to double down to re-launch a failed project and maintain our P2P model, as opposed to a money-grab month to month scheme, and actually listening to their fan base that was responsible for their renowned name.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Could you be more specific about which articles and people you are refering to in SquareEnix?

It really isn't just one article or one experience - It is the whole thing. The twitter updates, the news articles, the customer service. None of it really feels genuine - It all feels like they're fishing for a dollar. Which, granted, A-Net is too. But I prefer when they have a warmer atmospehre.

• PluppetsPluppets Member Posts: 45
    I'm judging that based on the way they word articles and deal with customer service. None of it is WRONG, per se, but I feel like I'm dealing with a big corporation that could care less about me.

So this is about how you feel.  I see, hahaha.  :3

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

the word you re looking for is professionalism  and they are a big corporation and they cared so much that they completely redid the game based on the communities concerns and they arent charging us who bought 1.0 a single penny. Im not sure what more you want, love letters and poetry?

Originally posted by Pluppets

So this is about how you feel.  I see, hahaha.  :3

Of course! That's how we perceive the world, silly!

Originally posted by TribeofOne

the word you re looking for is professionalism  and they are a big corporation and they cared so much that they completely redid the game based on the communities concerns and they arent charging us who bought 1.0 a single penny. Im not sure what more you want, love letters and poetry?

I'm sorry if I've offended you by <span vk_bk"="">criticising your favorite game/company, buddy! All I'm saying is that you can be professional and friendly. I've seen it a million times, I appreciate it, and it makes me want to support the company. However, I don't see it here.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

It really isn't just one article or one experience - It is the whole thing. The twitter updates, the news articles, the customer service. None of it really feels genuine - It all feels like they're fishing for a dollar. Which, granted, A-Net is too. But I prefer when they have a warmer atmospehre.

Could be because at least the customer service isn't handled directly by the lifeforce behind FFXIV: Yoshi-P. I suppose it is hard for an employee to be enthusiastic when they aren't really that connected to the actual development of the game.

Not an excuse, but maybe an explanation. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • simulacrasimulacra Member CommonPosts: 93
    Have you watched any of the videos with YoshiP, the lead producer? That isn't the case at all. 
  • MistborneMistborne Member UncommonPosts: 26

Well, that's partially true. They are a big corporation that does not care about you as an individual, so I wouldn't count on them ever getting warm and fuzzy; however, they do care about your satisfaction in their product. If their game does not satisfy you that's one thing, but to complain about their demeanor when they are doing everything they said they would is kind of petty and pointless. 

• BrialynBrialyn Member Posts: 184

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it would be nice to be linked to examples of this coldness.  Personally I think they've communicated well with live letters (wish they were subbed but I understand they are a Japanese company so didn't bother me) was excellent.  I felt like they were making sure that everything they were announcing was in the game and working before they announced it.  They've had forums where they've been taking feedback.  They've treated their loyal fans from 1.0 REALLY well (I'm not one, I just couldn't stomach 1.0 as much as I wanted to). All in all, everything I've seen shows me that they care about making a product people love and are wiling to pay monthly for. 

We all have our opinions and besides this latest error 3201 issue that's happening in phase 4 I think SE has done a good job showing us they care about making something [some] gamers will enjoy. 

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar
  • jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154

I'm sorry if I've offended you by <span vk_bk"="">criticising your favorite game/company, buddy! All I'm saying is that you can be professional and friendly. I've seen it a million times, I appreciate it, and it makes me want to support the company. However, I don't see it here.

What you call "professional and friendly" ignorantly the rest of us have accepted are pure business tactics as usual.  People get degrees in Public Relations or PR, however the "warm" and "fuzzy" word choice is more western tradition that you are accustom to. 

Personally I prefer the direct, albeit, cold approach.

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Im not sure what more you want, love letters and poetry?

Moogle plushies would suffice. =D

Originally posted by jskeets916

What you call "professional and friendly" ignorantly the rest of us have accepted are pure business tactics as usual.  People get degrees in Public Relations or PR, however the "warm" and "fuzzy" word choice is more western tradition that you are accustom to. 

Personally I prefer the direct, albeit, cold approach.

It may be Western tradition that I'm used to. The majority of the companies, gaming and otherwise, that come to mind when I think of my ideal business are based here in the West. That being said, if you're trying to market a game to the West, well... It might not hurt to buy into some of their traditions :)

I get where you're coming from, though. There is something to the directness, but it just doesn't do it for me, personally.

• deerstopdeerstop Member UncommonPosts: 31

Yeah, agreed. ArenaNet's customer service has been the best so far, and I've played quite a lot of games. These guys are polite, helpful, quick.

• LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223

I haven't tried FF14 yet, will wait a few months for the dust to settle and bugs fixed. Enjoying GrimDawn Alpha to the max at the moment so I'm all good. 

But to come back to what you've said about Square Enix being cold businessmen, if they really were cold, FF14 would of been F2P with a cash shop and not giving a damn about the players.  Just the fact that they are going P2P shows that they'll care about the players supporting them by paying a monthly fee.   Honestly I wasn't too excited about FF14 but when I saw it was P2P I kind of felt like getting it and giving it a shot.  But not at the moment. I'll let them settle the major issues currently going on and will give it a shot during winter. image    By that time I'll have my i7 3rd gen , 16GB Hyper-X DDR3 RAM , XFX Radeon 7950HD crossfired ready to go and liquid cooled. image

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

The last bad customer service experience I had was SWTOR, since then my in-game issues have been handled in a timely manner with the desired results by reps from both Funcom (in TSW) and ArenaNet (in GW2).  Back when I played WoW a lot my experiences with Blizzard CS ranged from bad to excellent, though I've read it has gotten pretty awful now.

As far as how the team comes off, I think they're a lot more into the gaming side of games than I originally imagined.  Final Fantasy has been successful on the whole, and they've gotten into "spinoff mode" in the last decade, and that IMO makes them feel like guys in suits, but now that I've had the privilege to sort of look through the window, you can see this team at least is not like that.  They're miles ahead of the peeps who worked on SWTOR and those that are currently left on WoW IMO. 

ANet leveraged social media and the visible communities like Reddit to make themselves look good.  Which is fine.  It just doesn't mean you know how to make a game.  I say that as a point of fact, not to claim that GW2 sucks. I logged over 800 hours on that game.  There are a lot of things I liked about it, but ultimately it was ANet's management of their game -- rather than their presentation, which IMO has been great -- that made me lose interest in that game.

I do like the simplicity of GW2's linked forum and account system.  I never feel like I have to divine what they mean, which is unfortunately not always the case with SE's bizarre SE/service/member axis of evil.