Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Timing of Archeage NA its worst enemy?

Comments

• bound4hadesbound4hades Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by Dornin34
    What makes me doubtful about this game is Trion. I really have almost no confidence in them at this point. That strange sudden dropping the ball on warface, Defiance is a flop, they had to make rift f2p to keep that ship from sinking. They just keep closing offices and losing on every level. It is hard to imagine them getting AA out in any reasonable time frame if even at all. It looks like an interesting game, but I'm not holding my breath that's for sure. 

Companies reorganize all the time, so that doesn't worry me at all,  they bit off more then they could chew.  The games you listed were the part that they bit off and they were of their own making. Archeage is not there baby, they are just hosting and I'm sure when the got exclusive rights to the game XL asked about the health of the company. I also don't thing Rift going F2P is a big deal, again just another way to reorganize the revenue steam and breath life back into a stalling game.

• Dornin34Dornin34 Member Posts: 14
    Warface wasn't their project either, and they just randomly dumped it off their website refusing to comment on anything to anyone. I'm not sure if I'd call closing 2 of I think 4 offices reorganizing. Sounds like corporate speak for we are in big trouble. Rift only stands to lose even more market share with all the new games being released in the next 6-9 months. Hopefully they can get AA out, but I'm a little skeptical about Trion right now. 
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I must agree with the OP, however the picture is not as bleak as it appeared when that post was made.

The major "sandbox" competitor for AA is EQ:Next, and that game is not launching this year. I'm sure Trion will finish the localisation of AA before the end of 2013.

But there will be quite a few high profile MMO's launching in the next 6 months, and that could definitely hurt AA. I'd imagine there's a large group of players who may give AA try if it launches in a "dry period", but would probably ignore it if it's close to another major launch.

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298

They should forget about NA and focus on eastern market. Jake Song should be ashamed because his first creation, Lineage 1, still kicks butts making 60-85 million dollars a quarter and still P2P 15 years after its launch while AA already went F2P in east.

They need to leave the western model of MMOs that just results in vaporwares and start making MMOs that last again.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

The only real problem with timing.. is if you take to long to get into a market.. something us may show up before you.   If a decent product does come and people get invested into it.... then you have a problem. (edit:  this is in regards to the idea of the cost to put the game in this other market (NA in this case) compared to the amount of customers you might get aka cost vs potential income and if profit can exist.)

It also depends on how large/well the game is in the East.   I mean when EQ1 used to be the biggest thing out there... that was only true in the west.   L1 as far as I know had a much larger customer base but couldn't really take off outside of the Eastern market. (I remember when WoW was at its PR peak for sub numbers... 2 or 2.5 million was the tops for NA which is huge compared to other MMO's but just think of the entire NA market in relation to its total numbers).

So it kind of comes down to whether its really worth it for them to even develop AA for the west....   <-  I don't know the answer to that.. its just the way I'd look at it.

• rondericronderic Member Posts: 56
    Everybodys talking as if EQN is about to be released. It isn't! Smed promised in his keynote speech, EQN for the Sony show next year. You can bet it will be later. So we are probably looking at Christmas 2014 for EQN.

AA really only has another sandboxy (EVE) type game as a direct competitor - I dont see a new one anywhere at the moment. I am hoping that Trion gets their finger out and delivers AA by Christmas this year (hope dies last..).

Having played AA in Korea I am just wishing the NA version is not changed from the KR version. It is finally a game I can get my teeth into and is both PVP and PVE wise a lot of fun.

You can please some MMO-players all of the time and you can please all MMO-players some of the time but you can't please all MMO-players all of the time.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

As has been said - "timing is everything". Trion needs to release AA before EQN or at least 3 months afterwards (when the fair weather patriots start leaving) or AA is doomed to poor numbers. I do think that there will be a small group of dedicated sandboxers that will love this game but Trion must time their release so that as many players as possible will try it and that means avoiding EQN.

From what I have seen AA is another Asian grinder/griefer. These type of MMOs, even with the major sandbox elements that are shown in AA, do not interest me. Yup, I am back to playing WOW and SWTOR so judge my opinion from that. 

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by tordurbar

From what I have seen AA is another Asian grinder/griefer. These type of MMOs, even with the major sandbox elements that are shown in AA, do not interest me. Yup, I am back to playing WOW and SWTOR so judge my opinion from that. 

You know whats the funny thing? That those like you who haven't played the game, nor did enough research and keep calling it as "another Asian grinder/griefer", while those who are playing/played it calling it as an "another almost themepark"!

• faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123
    Timing means nothing to me. Whenever it comes out I will play it. But Trion is frustrating in that they pipe up after a couple months if sience to post a promo vid, then disappear. Then come back only to say it's goibg to take a while. They are lucky that people are putting up with that.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Koroshiya

For me, its one of the only theme parks that I can actually sit down and enjoy so unless EQN comes out from left field as the Sandbox Saviour, it won't matter for me what releases cause I am loving AA right now and I am not even playing NA version.  But theme park lovers have a plethora of other games to choose from if expected release dates are correct, like FF XiV Reborn, Wildstar etc.  Do you think this will affect the overall success for NA release of Archeage or the continued player base needed to make a game like Archeage work when going against other huge power houses in the western market??

No it wont because none of those games are like AA.

If someone is wanting a sandbox, they are not going to chose FFXIV or Wildstar over it. And personally, I don't care if it does "well" in the western market as long as they are willing to merge servers with the east if it doesnt. Their PvPers are better and the communities are stronger with far fewer trolls and trash like we get in the west. Far too many WoW kiddies populate western games dragging the community down...thankfully they rarely play anything from the east and will avoid AA in the first place.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by faiyo
    Timing means nothing to me. Whenever it comes out I will play it. But Trion is frustrating in that they pipe up after a couple months if sience to post a promo vid, then disappear. Then come back only day it's goibg to take a while. They are lucky that people are putting up with that,

Trion has been going through complete company restructure so now that Hartsman is back and has cleaned house, I expect more updates. ArcheAge wont have much competition as EQN is at least 2 years out.

Very true. I hope the changes mean something.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Timing means nothing to me. Whenever it comes out I will play it. But Trion is frustrating in that they pipe up after a couple months if sience to post a promo vid, then disappear. Then come back only day it's goibg to take a while. They are lucky that people are putting up with that,

Trion has been going through complete company restructure so now that Hartsman is back and has cleaned house, I expect more updates. ArcheAge wont have much competition as EQN is at least 2 years out.

Very true. I hope the changes mean something.

Hartsman better pull his finger out and speak up soon, because with all the current noise about Wildstar, ESO and EQN, AA has all but disappeared from people's radars.

Announcing a F2P payment model for AA will really cause a storm at this point image

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

In the new interview (@mmorpg.com) hartman said they are working hard so they can get it out next year. I guess it was somewhat to expect, that we don't see ArcheAge this year.. but hopefully at least in the beginning of 2014, and not the end.

It is really somewhat annoying to wait for years, whereas it is already released in Korea for over 6 month. I really hope Korean developer will adapt in future projects and start a lot earlier to look for western partner that, so we see more a western release just a month or a few month later.. and not years.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Timing is always an issue for Korean MMO's.

This 6 month later release everywhere else nonsense should have stopped years ago.

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185
    So here is a question to anyone in the 'know' what exactly takes so long for these conversions of eastern -> western or vise versa?  I know the translation does not take nearly that long, so what exactly is it that takes a year to process?
  • AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by dgarbini
    So here is a question to anyone in the 'know' what exactly takes so long for these conversions of eastern -> western or vise versa?  I know the translation does not take nearly that long, so what exactly is it that takes a year to process?

They have found one guy willing to do the translation, but he is still learning Korean.

Anyway. When you listen to what Scott Hartsman has to say on the matter you will hear between the lines that he blames XL games for the delay. From which you can conclude that the delay has nothing to do with the localization itself but is due to other stuff.

It takes one to know one.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

AA is still the only mmo i want to try it, so for me timmin is not a issue.

A issue is i cant play it right now!!   :/

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587

This, and EQN, are the only MMO's I'm looking forward to.

Is this game ever coming to the U.S.? I know 'they' say it is... but will it come out before EQL?

Because, as cool as I think AA looks, if EQL comes out first, it's the death of this game, for me anyway.

• ROFLcopter13ROFLcopter13 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Originally posted by velmax
    Timing has nothing to do with this, as long as its a good game, it will be successful. 

Actually it does. If you started playing EQN and 2 months later THIS game is released, id be hard pressed to think that you wouldnt want to abandon EQN if you are happy and enjoy playing it for ArcheAge when it comes out. So yes, timing means a lot.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by ROFLcopter13
    Timing has nothing to do with this, as long as its a good game, it will be successful. 

Actually it does. If you started playing EQN and 2 months later THIS game is released, id be hard pressed to think that you wouldnt want to abandon EQN if you are happy and enjoy playing it for ArcheAge when it comes out. So yes, timing means a lot.

I don't think so. With free to play games timing does not really matter. If Everquest 2 released today and ArcheAge released tomorrow people will try both games and play both if they like them. You don't have to abandon anything.  You only have to make a choice when it comes to sub based games.

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Someone playing in korea, china, japan versions please pm me how I can join the servers. There are plenty online but im interested in hearing from people that actually did it. Thanks

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587
    Originally posted by VastoHorde
    Originally posted by ROFLcopter13

I don't think so. With free to play games timing does not really matter. If Everquest 2 released today and ArcheAge released tomorrow people will try both games and play both if they like them. You don't have to abandon anything.  You only have to make a choice when it comes to sub based games.

I have to disagree. Time is the issue, not money. I don't really have enough time to dedicate to 2 mmo's. I usually like to imerse myself, and w/ 2 games going on, it's hard. Between work, home ownership, and an 8 year old daughter, only 1 mmo at a time is usually a lot.

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

If you don't think the delay in the release of this to NA is an issue then tell me how many people are still looking forward to Blade & Soul? lol

I used to salivate over AA, but now I doubt I'd even care if I got in the beta.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Cars and bikinis are ArcheAges worst enemy in the NA market.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    I wouldn't say "Timing" is the worst enemy, but I would say that "Time" has been. When I first saw Archeage it blew me away. This was years ago. It's just not impressive anymore since other games have caught up and in some ways passed them. They haven't really been able to pull off all of the insane ideas that Jake Song and the crew were musing about and it's looking more and more generic as each month passes without concrete release information. It's simply 2-3 years too late.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.