Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamers are destroying the industry.

Comments

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

The only thing destroying the Industry is the industry itself, with boring sequels to boring games, rehashing of the same tired concepts and ideas and most of all the constant milking of customers at every opportunity.

People that make these threats are scum and have nothing to do with your average gamer at all. There are people like this in every aspect of live. Get used to it.

That said, let me enlighten you about Mr. Phil Fish.

Phil Fish signed up for the spotlight, no doubt about it. He was not afraid to share his fiery statements against Microsoft, Japanese games, and media personalities on Twitter or in interviews. He chose to be a public figure, and he failed to stand up to the challenges that come with that.

Perhaps in an environment where social media, interviews, and the spotlight didn’t feel like a requirement, Phil Fish could have focused on what he did best: making games. He was an exciting figure in the indie game scene for sure, and he said a lot of valuable things, but at what cost to his own well-being?

Some game designers make fantastic public figures. Tim Schafer, Ken Levine, and Cliff Bleszinski immediately come to mind as outspoken, personable folk that can make a game and chat up an audience with equal skill. It’s really good that we have people like that, because this industry needs figureheads like any other art form does. They are the David Lynchs and Quentin Tarantinos of this medium and they are worth listening to.

If you can not stand the heat stay out of the spot light. You choose to become a public figure.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Axehilt

I guess you didn't take time to actually read the article to know what's being discussed here?

Anyone who rationalizes personal threats made against a developer who strove to create a fun experience for players is a sick individual.

Yet it's completely wrong for the customer to complain that the gaming industry is trying to milk every dollar out of the gamers with all of the downloadable content they're releasing for their games. Oh I hope you enjoy Day-One DLC it's not going away and it'll only get more expensive.

I guess you didn't take time to actually read my post to know what's being discussed here?

Anyone who rationalizes personal threats made against a developer is a sick individual.

I don't think you quite understand the whole thing. People made the threats because of a bad product. How they react is their problem. However, that does not mean that it isn't the developers fault for screwing the customer over in the end. If the products weren't bad you wouldn't be seeing these death threats however, obviously they're bad enough to go to some absurd extremes (I don't personally think the product is that bad). 

You quit the game....you threaten to quit the game.....you don't make death threats. You're actually justifying a death threat over a nerf..../faceplam

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by crack_fox

"Jennifer Hepler was a writer on the role-playing game Dragon Age II. The game's ravenous fan base got so upset that she found herself receiving not only death threats aimed at her, but also threats against her family and children."

Some gamers are filth. People occasionally over-step the mark on this forum, but behaviour like this takes a rocket jump over the mark and lands in a place so vile that no reasonable person would ever deign to set foot there. There is no justification for making threats of this nature. 

Exactly, you can even see it in doses on these very forums... The gamer entitlement has run amok to the point that they take their rage to a whole new level to attack ones personal life.

Gamers really need to pull it together and realize the developers are entitled to create games in their own vision. This mean you may not agree with it... Look at the Rage over SWG NGE (sorry I had to go there), and even NOW in EQNext... I mean really people... If you do not like this, maybe you should reconsider your hobby or just move on to a different game... 

I mean really! Did you rage when coca cola changed from sugar to high fructose corn syrup? when Obama (or any political candidate) was elected? when the copay to your health insurance went up $20? Probably not and these are things that actually affect your daily life... NO but someone on your LoL team didn't perform to standard, or they nerfed your character, or the sequel was nothing like the prior game... RAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

This is the face of gamer rage http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/07/12/league-of-legends-player-mouths-off-gets-arrested-for-making-a-terroristic-threat/ and this kid and anyone who takes things to this extreme deserves to be treated like a terrorist. There needs to be a real wake up call... As gamers we are ALL accountable... as we are lumped into this "gamer" category... Which means in social game environments whether we are in an mmo or playing CoD or whatever you as gamers should LEAD BY EXAMPLE and not throw gasoline on the fire that is the state of the industry today.

/rant over

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Originally posted by Wighty
    Originally posted by crack_fox

"Jennifer Hepler was a writer on the role-playing game Dragon Age II. The game's ravenous fan base got so upset that she found herself receiving not only death threats aimed at her, but also threats against her family and children."

Some gamers are filth. People occasionally over-step the mark on this forum, but behaviour like this takes a rocket jump over the mark and lands in a place so vile that no reasonable person would ever deign to set foot there. There is no justification for making threats of this nature. 

Exactly, you can even see it in doses on these very forums... The gamer entitlement has run amok to the point that they take their rage to a whole new level to attack ones personal life.

Gamers really need to pull it together and realize the developers are entitled to create games in their own vision. This mean you may not agree with it... Look at the Rage over SWG NGE (sorry I had to go there), and even NOW in EQNext... I mean really people... If you do not like this, maybe you should reconsider your hobby or just move on to a different game... 

I mean really! Did you rage when coca cola changed from sugar to high fructose corn syrup? when Obama (or any political candidate) was elected? when the copay to your health insurance when up $20? Probably not and these are things that actually affect your daily life... NO but someone on your LoL team didn't perform to standard, or they nerfed your character, or the sequel was nothing like the prior game... RAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

This is the face of gamer rage http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/07/12/league-of-legends-player-mouths-off-gets-arrested-for-making-a-terroristic-threat/ and this kid and anyone who takes things to this extreme deserves to be treated like a terrorist. There needs to be a real wake up call... As gamers we are ALL accountable... as we are lumped into this "gamer" category... Which means in social game environments whether we are in an mmo or playing CoD or whatever you as gamers should LEAD BY EXAMPLE and not throw gasoline on the fire that is the state of the industry today.

/rant over

I suppose you can rap this all up into people don't like change.

Yet people bitch about wanting "innovation" and complaining that "game X is a clone of game Y"

The minute a developer or studio answers that call it's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27LzPvvpqHY

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

Yet people bitch about wanting "innovation" and complaining that "game X is a clone of game Y"

The minute a developer or studio answers that call it's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27LzPvvpqHY

These are never or rarely the same people. The problem is that the most vocal people are those that are uspet about something and in second place come people who are very exited about something. Those two groups hate each other and the first one is always bigger in numbers, since it's the most vocal.

When you are pissed you are more likely to complain about it somewere, than share your happiness when you are satisfied with something.

So everytime something old comes out, upset people start complaining and happy start to defend. Everytime something innovative comes out, a new pissed off group emerges to bring your happiness down. It is human nature, you can't win that.

There is always someone unsatisfied and he will be the first one to say his opinion about it.

• PiechunksPiechunks Member Posts: 136

Well, let's be fair here: DA2 sucked.

You don't hear of any of the devs from Bethesda getting death threats, or people who do their job remarkably well.

Look, there are more gamers now than ever. The homicide rate for most countries is usually more than 1 per 100k... so if you take that as a uniform distribution and multiply it by a million you get more than 10 murderers who are probably playing your game.

Originally posted by Piechunks

You don't hear of any of the devs from Bethesda getting death threats, or people who do their job remarkably well.

Look, there are more gamers now than ever. The homicide rate for most countries is usually more than 1 per 100k... so if you take that as a uniform distribution and multiply it by a million you get more than 10 murderers who are probably playing your game.

So by your logic this is justifiable? Regardless is a game sucked, or Starwars 1 was terrible or you like pepsi one instead of coke zero does not give anyone the right to personally attack others...

This is just another form of cyber bullying... I mean in todays day and age of over sensitivity where a young girl will commit suicide because of bad comments made on her facebook, enough is enough already. This is just more or less adult cyberbullying and I hope every last one of these MFer's have to account for their actions and have to serve some time. People need to take responsibility and not think they can get away with attacking others under the guise of perceived anonymity.

Having had my run ins with the law myself for other reasons I can only hope that some of these assholes get the opportunity to spend some quality time in a Brooklyn holding cell... It's a real wake up call.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

So by your logic this is justifiable? Regardless is a game sucked, or Starwars 1 was terrible or you like pepsi one instead of coke zero does not give anyone the right to personally attack others...

This is just another form of cyber bullying... I mean in todays day and age of over sensitivity where a young girl will commit suicide because of bad comments made on her facebook, enough is enough already. This is just more or less adult cyberbullying and I hope every last one of these MFer's have to account for their actions and have to serve some time. People need to take responsibility and not think they can get away with attacking others under the guise of perceived anonymity.

Having had my run ins with the law myself for other reasons I can only hope that some of these assholes get the opportunity to spend some quality time in a Brooklyn holding cell... It's a real wake up call.

Well that's the thing I was getting at in the first part of my initial reply in this thread...   People who are doing things that are against rules or laws... need to be held accountable and punished as such.   This goes from the top where this death threat crap would be....  down to the simple matter of people who violate ToS/Eula and the AuP of their ISP.   You don't have a legal right to even be online if you violate the various rules you've agreed to... but nobody goes out and enforces this stuff because the $$ is more important.

Just as these death threat people probably won't ever have charges filed even tho its likely known who they are...   at some level somebody is saying "they were just blowing off steam" and at the same time thinking that they can't buy the next EA game if they are in jail...

If a product is crap there is a simple solution... take it back for a refund or do a back charge and more importantly stop buying products from that company.   If you want change and don't like what you are seeing... you can make a billion threads and nothing will change.   However, if enough people stop spending money... you can be well assured that something will change.

I know that the way people act not only on forums but in the games I play (and have played) needs to change....  its like wading into a cess pool and its been that way far too long.  *edit for clarity* This is not saying EVERY person who posts on forums or plays MMO's acts like this... but you can see what I mean for yourself every day in forums and in online games..

You missed the point: the point is that there are pathologically aggressive, sadistic, or even completely insane people who play video games and it should be expected to encounter them, since video games do not draw from a biased part of the population.

There isn't a screening process to play a video game, or even much of a requirement past the console/minimum specs.

When a product doesn't meet expectations it riles them up like anything else. It's not a justification, it's just an observation of a natural phenomenon that you can't change. 

Putting crazy/stupid people in jail will not change how stupid/crazy they are and will not prevent them from existing in the future.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

This got nothing to do with gamers...

But all with people being able to post this stuff annonymus on the internet, withouth having to bear the consequences of their actions.

It does not happen only in the gaming industry but all around us, sad thing is the people that write these articles just care for the newstopic and the attention.  People of the online press are actually as much to blame, because they think they can come away with anything.. feels different but much the same attitude

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

This got nothing to do with gamers...

But all with people being able to post this stuff annonymus on the internet, withouth having to bear the consequences of their actions.

It does not happen only in the gaming industry but all around us, sad thing is the people that write these articles just care for the newstopic and the attention.  People of the online press are actually as much to blame, because they think they can come away with anything.. feels different but much the same attitude

I think the freedom to say what you please, unless it's directly threatening the well-being of another person, is fine.

The internet is one of the last bastions of free speech. In real life you are jailed for even mentioning sensitive issues, or saying words (even if they don't imply physical violence).

It's also fallacious to assume that people can post anything on the internet without consequence: people have been persecuted before for what they posted on the internet. Just recently a child received jail time for making a false threat (which he even played down by writing LOL j/k) after he did it, so there are always consequences.

Not to mention that game companies more often than not have your personal information and are usually able to forward it to authorities.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

In my experience, removing anonymity does not play out the way you would hope or expect it would.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

No, I said that the death threats are too much. Oh, and in addition it's better to rationalize an issue than to judge irrationally. You all are acting as irrational as the people who've irrationally sent the death threats to the woman who works for a company who doesn't properly rationalize their business practices. :)

Utter nonsense.

The correct response to a bad product is to avoid purchasing it (or to avoid purchasing it again, or to avoid purchasing additional products from the same company.)

In the worst case scenario, you can openly criticize the bad product to others.

In no scenario is it justifiable to personally threaten the individual(s) responsible.

There's nothing irrational about expecting basic human decency from people.  (In fact it's fairly irrational not to.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

I can't help but think that a lot of the members of this site are being focused on this article. So many people here think that the way they game is the way the standard should be. you see people go into fits when a dev does something they don't agree with. I can see this 100%.

I do agree that people should take care of this with their game purchases rather then their venomous remarks to  the devs.

You don't like it, buy something else. your under the false impression that you telling the dev how you think it should be and he knows nothing about what the public wants, is going to change things.

everyone knows more than the devs. it is a very harsh community.

Bottom line is this. A developer want's to create a game he wants to put forth to the world. His artistic Visions. As a Gamer you like or dislike the game. Vote with your Money. If the mass agrees with you, the game fails or strives. It's that simple. If a developer is asking for Public suggestions, they are just that, SUGESTIONS. it boils down to his vision.

That's My opinion.

No, I said that the death threats are too much. Oh, and in addition it's better to rationalize an issue than to judge irrationally. You all are acting as irrational as the people who've irrationally sent the death threats to the woman who works for a company who doesn't properly rationalize their business practices. :)

There's nothing irrational about expecting basic human decency from people.  (In fact it's fairly irrational not to.)

I'd say there definitely is when there is impunity associated with their actions.

• cydoneqcydoneq Member UncommonPosts: 66

mabye their are just little kids that are just sad and didnt learnd a better way to express their feelings.

but anyways their are just morons and trolls that suck at life and should be dead /irony off

i blame their parents.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by rnor6084

The article is correct. Gamers are the problem. Not the developers.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/gamers-killing-game-industry-195959860.html

Is it the chicken or the egg?

I say it's both.

The Chicken, i.e., the developer

Developers have been mass producing a fairly pathetic quality of mmorpgs in an effort to (a) copy the WoW model (b) ease up on costs due to the recession (which the gaming industry only benefited from...another discussion) (c) lowering of standards of quality and a dumming down effect to meet the projected intellectual needs of today's gamer demographic (allegedly a stoned adolescent to young adult in their mother's basement).

The Egg, i.e., the gamer

Gamers, like students in a school or children in a household, might emulate those who are in a position to guide them.  Hence, uneducated parents tend to produce uneducated kids (or kids who have to really work much harder than most to succeed in academia).  A developer might produce a crappy game and get away with it, purely because the egg or gamer, lowers their expectations from years of such games, and is thereby conditioned to assume that this is the best there is.

You see this conditioning of expectations quite often with gamers who immediately palm face when they read a title will have PvP.  They assume all pvp is like EQ's old pvp servers, where the term griefing came from (some say Ultima).  Lazy unimaginative programmers who for some stupid reason get to write lore into a game think that merely lifting the coding that stops a gamer from attacking another gamer = PVP.  This is lazy and idiotic to say the least.  And even in EQ next this same crap is happening again. 

So in a sense, I believe it's both the chicken and the egg that are responsible.  The chicken or developer, produces mediocre concepts in their mmo and paints an epic picture through advertising.  The egg, or gamer, goes to mmorpg.com and spouts the brilliance of the title, and once the game is out for a month, they burn out and run to the next title.  The developers see this, these lazy chickens that they are, and begin fabricating free to play cash shop games because they realize they will always get that 1 guy who will spend $1,000 on virtual crap, whereas they will never get enough players together in a sub to pay for their turd.

It's both, I say. 

So how to cure this?  Gamers, like voters in a political arena, need to make a statement.  Stop playing crap, and by default the bar will have to raise until it begins to attract players.  Developers need to create more in depth titles, something that ESO and Camelot Unchained are working on, for example, following the Dark Age of Camelot model.

Why do I refer to the Dark Age of Camelot model?  Most gamers here won't even know what I'm referring to...many are post 2004 WoW players that see WoW as the Holy Church of gaming, i.e., everything else is just an offshoot of what WoW already did.  But Dark Age was the first and last title in the past 12 years to have created distinct realms, races and classes. 

As an example of where the industry has fallen:

Dark Age of Camelot = (a) no instanced BG's = all persistent (running 24 x 7).  

(b)  PvP in a realm benefits the whole realm - your alliance takes a castle, everyone benefits and 

world pvp has specific goals, i.e., taking specific territory with castles, towers, and so forth

(c)  24 races/three separate realms to level in to end game and raid in without seeing a single enemy

(d)  44 classes divided among the three realms with separate animations, styles, spells, and so forth

Typical mmorpg of today = (a) ALL instanced BGs emulating elementary school games like capture the flag, holding a position

(king of the hill), a sort of tag your it pvp concept  and less intellectually driven than the Dark Age

model.

(b) PvP only benefits the player or group in the instance, nothing you do matters to the world

and world pvp tends to just be anywhere you are leveling

(c)  A handful of races/no factions or 2 with the option to bounce between at will/0 factions just

gang banger pvp mechanics where guild vs guild roams the zones.

(d) classes by default are mirrors of each other in a factionless game.  Classes are slightly modified

in some 2 faction games or not at all for fear that people will complain about the greener grass

elsewhere.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Replying to my own post after seeing that I couldn't get it to format and also realizing that NO ONE CARES.

lmao - I wrote a wall of text to myself.  I have to try and remember that this forum is probably the last place developers go to for advice.  Show me a corporate sponsor, however, and wooot - there's your foundation for creativity because we all know that wealth equivocates to creative reasoning! /sarcasm

• GrungukGrunguk Member Posts: 7

This is pure sensationalism.

How many people bought Black Ops 2 / Dragon Age 2?

How many people sent death threats to these developers?

The internet provides a shield of anonymity that people are choosing to abuse in every aspect of online society. How many stories have you read lately about cyber-bullies driving vulnerable teens to suicide on social network sites?

You can't credibly condemn MASSIVE communities on the action of a few malcontents; the author of the article should be ashamed of himself for writing such rubbish.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

I'd say there definitely is when there is impunity associated with their actions. 

All the more reason not to excuse the actions of those people.  If human decency isn't an expected state due to the factors involved, then it needs to be enforced by other means.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

am i the only one that finds this more funny than serious?

jennifer hepling lol, good riddance , u know there is an old saying " Dragon age 2 is like anal sex, i feel obliged to try but is too painfull to continue". 

Go ask Inon Zur if he have any threat, despite the game being a turd the OST was amazing.