Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why FFXIV:ARR instead of FFXI?

HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

So I wanna get into this game, and I keep telling myself to just stomach the quest hub-heavy early game because I hear the game gets better later on. But the question I keep asking myself is: Why don't I just play FFXI? I really haven't played FFXI all that much, but I know a decent amount about it. From what I can tell it seems to be deeper and more of a sandbox than FFXIV:ARR.

So I guess I'll put the question to you guys who probably more than me about BOTH games. Why are you playing ARR instead of FFXI?

Comments

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Quest hubbing is actually pretty slow for leveling.  Guildhests, fates, and dungeons give more bang for your buck imo.  Oh! and the logs of course.
  • SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I enjoyed the quests and the stories that went with them.  Reading is good for you.  Besides, there's a lot more to do than just the quests. 
  • HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Ok thanks for the replies but I feel like you're just focusing on the one time I mention quest hubs which really isn't the point of the thread. I personally don't like the quest hub approach to MMO's, but that's not my problem with the game. 

Why do you prefer this game over FFXI?

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702
    Level up without quests. If you loved grouping and grinding mobs in FFXI you can do that here, too.
  • MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
    I feel like FFXI is the deeper game, if you want a more updated prettier to look at and more mainstream mmo XIV: ARR is better but if you don't mind the outdated graphics and slower battle system XI has a deep world to get lost in

Mystery Bounty

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

Why am I playing this over XI? Because I like it.

I like XI too. But I've already played XI plenty. 

If you find yourself having issues wanting to stomach aspects of a piece of entertainment, chances are you should just not bother at all. Play what makes you happy. :) 

• lafaiellafaiel Member UncommonPosts: 93
    The answer to your question is time, I don't have time like I used to when I played FFXI, and I played it for close to 7 years. If you have the time on hand, its still an amazing game to play even after all these years as long as you don't mind the slow combat.
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by MysteryB
    I feel like FFXI is the deeper game, if you want a more updated prettier to look at and more mainstream mmo XIV: ARR is better but if you don't mind the outdated graphics and slower battle system XI has a deep world to get lost in

This, which is why it is really great and smart of Yoshi-P to take ARR in a more casual direction. Brilliance man, cause fans of Final Fantasy will still love it and eat it up, even veterans get weary from FFXI, it's a nice change of pace.

I'm tellin' ya, this game is just looking to be pure brilliance and a great swan song to FFXI. It should really bring FFXI and just standard Final Fantasy fans together which is just great.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

I really liked FFXI.

The problem I had with it is this. Made a few toons with multi classes High Level. Had to take a break for a while from the Game. Came back to find they delete character after a few months.

At that point, I lost all interest in playing. People take Breaks. That goes without saying, but you do want them back. Deleting their characters is NOT a way to do it.

Originally posted by MysteryB

This is kind of what I expected. Thanks.

Originally posted by Giddian

I really liked FFXI.

The problem I had with it is this. Made a few toons with multi classes High Level. Had to take a break for a while from the Game. Came back to find they delete character after a few months.

At that point, I lost all interest in playing. People take Breaks. That goes without saying, but you do want them back. Deleting their characters is NOT a way to do it.

I see! That definitely is a bummer. I'll have to see if I still have my character.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

I don't see what's 'deeper' about FFXI or its world than FFXIV, especially since most people spend 90% of their game time in Abyssea it seems, leaving the rest of the world empty and desolate.

The main reasons I will play XIV over XI:

1) Systems/mechanics updated to modern standards.

2) Much more casual-play accessible and with an *interesting* casual-play experience

3) Most people are playing XIV right now, not XI - plain and simple. The worlds in beta (at least currently) feel full of life and activity, not desolate wastelands.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

FF XI used to be different, I think they screwed some things up with one of the expansions.

I don't want to play an old game, old graphics, everyone knows too much, everyone on a different page, etc.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

Originally posted by twrule

I don't see what's 'deeper' about FFXI or its world than FFXIV, especially since most people spend 90% of their game time in Abyssea it seems, leaving the rest of the world empty and desolate.

2) Much more casual-play accessible and with an *interesting* casual-play experience

3) Most people are playing XIV right now, not XI - plain and simple. The worlds in beta (at least currently) feel full of life and activity, not desolate wastelands.

Well I think you kind of answered your own question. If a game is more casual/accessible, it's usually not as deep.

I'm not a FFXI expert but it seems like the job quests are harder, raising chocobos is harder, etc.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    I love to hub

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Holophonist

So I wanna get into this game, and I keep telling myself to just stomach the quest hub-heavy early game because I hear the game gets better later on. But the question I keep asking myself is: Why don't I just play FFXI? I really haven't played FFXI all that much, but I know a decent amount about it. From what I can tell it seems to be deeper and more of a sandbox than FFXIV:ARR.

So I guess I'll put the question to you guys who probably more than me about BOTH games. Why are you playing ARR instead of FFXI?

Neither game is a Sandbox, don't full yourself on that.

However, FFXI IS a much deeper game (plus it's been out for far longer, and has multiple expansions on it). It's also a pretty big time commitment. ARR is more quest-hub oriented, and a lot more solo-friendly (at least until the last update or so of FFXI).

ARR is the new shiny. I enjoyed FFXI, but I just don't have nearly enough free time to dedicate to that game. It's one of those games that you basically need to structure your life around, if you want to fully experience it. Everything from epic quests, raid bosses, to NM camping (which is dominated by a few Linkshells), it's a full time job. One that doesn't pay very well.

In ARR, it's a lot more casual. Gives you a bit more of that nostalgia. The crafting is a bit more interactive (though less deep). However, it also is missing a few key features (like the skillchain system) that made FFXI an awesome game. I'm still on the fence w/ ARR, but FFXI is a dying game. It's kinda late to go back to it now, tbh.

Leveling during FFXI is a much slow grindfest, combat is extremely slow/clunky in this day, and after abyssea it took a huge turn for the worse in terms of balance.  Still a good game though if your ever feeling a nostalgia night.  

FFXIV is just an overall really well done game, Yoshida kept his word.  It brought new things to the table in addition to pulling the good things from all the other games and polishing them with higher quality, not to mention fixing essentially all the problems that tanaka had created with 1.0.  I haven't been this immersed in my character in a while, and I'm looking forward to tackling the hardest baddies this game has to offer with my free company ( who is coming from XI ).  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Well I think you kind of answered your own question. If a game is more casual/accessible, it's usually not as deep.

I'm not a FFXI expert but it seems like the job quests are harder, raising chocobos is harder, etc.

So for you 'deep' means 'requires long sessions of play to make tangible progress'? I'm unclear.

If it means 'harder' as in 'more challenging' then I disagree. The only thing that was 'hard' about FFXI's job quests was persuading a high level character to help you do it, because they were balanced to make it impossible for some jobs to do their quest when they were actually first allowed to do it at level 30, or else needing a full alliance of player help that was harder to come by than a single high level character.

There was nothing hard about raising chocobos either - you just visit it once a day. Maybe you get a million attempts at the egg quest to get the rare egg. Again, not hard, just time consuming.

When I said 'casual-accessible' I meant that I can feel I'm making tangible progress, preferably while doing interesting things, even if I only have an hour or two to play on most nights.

• RavenHighwindRavenHighwind Member Posts: 25

LFG for 2 hours just to get into a party and stand in one spot for another 1 hour fighting the same beast OVER AND OVER with slow combat ... does not equal "deep".

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Simple really FFXIV is better graphics and more solo influenced.They put in place methods to solo FFXI as well but it is not a quest driven leveling game.

Crafting is different in FFXIV a little less guess work but actually a lot different.

FFXI offers the combat system unlike any other and that is the difference.

it appears that Square has kept the RARE feeling in FFXIV as i remember reading Yoshi did several runs for an item and only dropped once and he was outbid.

Graphics do mean a lot,it makes creatures and everything look better,even walls look like real stone or brick.

The two games play a lot differently,FFXI has solo aids like book burns but the creatures are still designed to be grouped.

Example a level 10 player in FFXI will struggle versus a level 10 ,and it gets much harder as you get higher level,depending on class.

FFXIV is designed to fight even strength and early on you can take on a few levels higher with noob gear.I did not notice the same mechanics/formula for accuracy and evasion ,everything in FFXIV seems to hit for the most part.

FFXIV is more of a spam hotbar,just like all the other games,with short timers and shorter duration's all to fit the solo design.

For myself i can't drop FFXI for FFXIV right now,the combat system is just much better than FFXIV and all games.I think it is possible FFXIV will resemble FFXI a lot more at higher levels.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

I really liked FFXI.

Really they delete your character after a few months ? . Wonder is it the same with FF14 if it is that's a big minus.

I think there was a point in the history of the game where they deleted past characters - my original character was gone when I came back - but then again, the character and account handling process was so convoluted for that game that it's hard to tell...

In any case, I've no fear of that happening for XIV.

Originally posted by keenber

I really liked FFXI.

Really they delete your character after a few months ? . Wonder is it the same with FF14 if it is that's a big minus.

They won't do that in 14, can 99% guarantee that.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by RavenHighwind

LFG for 2 hours just to get into a party and stand in one spot for another 1 hour fighting the same beast OVER AND OVER with slow combat ... does not equal "deep".

No, but mentioning bad things about a game doesn't mean it isn't deep, either. I don't think anybody is claiming that FFXI is more deep because of long waits or the slower combat.

So for you 'deep' means 'requires long sessions of play to make tangible progress'? I'm unclear.

If it means 'harder' as in 'more challenging' then I disagree. The only thing that was 'hard' about FFXI's job quests was persuading a high level character to help you do it, because they were balanced to make it impossible for some jobs to do their quest when they were actually first allowed to do it at level 30, or else needing a full alliance of player help that was harder to come by than a single high level character.

There was nothing hard about raising chocobos either - you just visit it once a day. Maybe you get a million attempts at the egg quest to get the rare egg. Again, not hard, just time consuming.

When I said 'casual-accessible' I meant that I can feel I'm making tangible progress, preferably while doing interesting things, even if I only have an hour or two to play on most nights.

Forgive me but I thought there was a lot regarding chocobo breeding. As in different colors and attributes? Also even just getting the egg and raising it for a IRL month makes it a bit more deep and satisfying than just another typical mmo mount that can sometimes fight with you, which is what it is in FFXIV right? 

But no I don't think "deep" means requires long sessions, but deeper games probably in general WILL require more time invested, but the time invested doesn't necessarily make it deep. From what I understand you had more customizability with gear, the outpost quests were more difficult and only available at certain times, crafting was more in-depth and complicated (don't you have to pay attention to the time of month/day it is??), etc.