Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest next is NOT a remake of EQ1!

2»

Comments

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Dullahan

Action adventure combat is a fad that will never stand the test of time in serious MMOs.  Years from now, combat with threat management and dedicated roles will still be here.  Eventually they'll learn to improve on what Everquest did originally with new dynamics for a system that facilitates truly diverse fantasy classes.

Until then, ping pong tanking, kiting and zerg combat is the hot shit.  At least until everyone gets a whiff.

And years from then, they'll learn to improve on action combat and so on...

"Threat management" and "roles" are still in EQN. They are just supposedly handled differently and not the exact same mechanics as previous games. It just comes down to how you define these terms.

I've yet to see if EQN's AI can really make up for the lack of Trinity combat, but for me, the Trinity is long past expired in most games. The only reason it is there is because nothing else works for tab targeting stationary combat.

From single player PC games, to mmos, to console games it is obvious action combat is going to be here for quite a while. People in general want to be active and participate. Standing in one spot spamming abilities is not exciting. Not saying rolling around spamming abilities is more challenging, at least it pretends to be more exciting.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Ecoces

get that through your head and you will be much happier.

Its a re-imagining of EQ, not a remake. they have already said they don't want to take the playerbase from EQ1 or EQ2 they are looking for a new playerbase for EQnext. 

So can we stop with the "its nothing like EQ1" .... its not supposed to be!

We know, thank you very much............ there is no need to be so patronising.

We were aware of it even before they officially unveiled it.

Unfortunately people like you don't get the point.

We are not asking for an EQ with better graphics, we were expecting an evolution of EQ, a modern game which retains EQ most iconic features and with a sandbox twist.

We got the sandbox and the modern bit...............unfortunately they forgot to add the Everquest part.

This game could be good if it wasn't call Everquest.

Unfortunately unless they put the "Everquest" into Everquest Next...................... they will kill the IP.

I am not sure the Minecraft part will be enough to make it a success.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by Vutar

Its a re-imagining of EQ, not a remake. they have already said they don't want to take the playerbase from EQ1 or EQ2 they are looking for a new playerbase for EQnext. 

Get this through your head. It isn't Everquest at all. It should be renamed something else entirely. Then there would be no confusion. The problem is they want to sell the game based on the Everquest name. They had people post video's sharing their EQ nostalgia. At the unveiling they even played EQ1 theme music to bring even more nostalgia into the equation. Then they proceeded to discard every single thing that made Everquest a great game.

SOE caused the current rift by their marketing of this game. They lead people to believe it was going to have characteristics of Everquest but it doesn't except in names alone.

Really? Artstyle choice and the trinity is all EQ is worth? I think some people are using their eyes too much and jumping the gun on this.

I guess it just depends on what EQ meant to each individual.  To me it was about exploration in a big world while meeting people and grouping.  The game wasn't easy but it was rewarding and was the perfect MMO to introduce me to the genre.  Based upon what we know EQN will eclipse EQ on exploration with the levels of procedurally generated lore based content as well as a world they apparently haven't found the limit to.  Of course a large piece is missing on how difficult the content is and whether it will be good for groups, which I hope it is.  There is a ton of info not released yet but what we have been given is unreal if they make it work.

I get that nothing will be just like EQ, which is why it doesn't make sense so many were expecting a sequel.  This is my opinion but if they have "hard mode" servers I think EQN could be better, at least more fun while providing the same experience.  Nothing can take away what EQ is, and will always be, but to assume it's the be all end all is not something I can agree with.

Edit:

I didn't see this and it's fair to mention it:

Trinity

Not needed with smart AI.  At least not standard trinity tank/spank encounters.

Defined group roles

Wait for more info on EQN class roles, you really don't know it's not there yet.

Graphics that are not aimed at teens.

Objective, I'm sure some people see/seen EQ graphics and though they were for kids as well.

Group play being essential, not optional.

Yes, I agree and hope EQN has a lot of group content. +1

Many combat abilities (ya EQ1 started with 8 but people like to ignore that it added more and more. That has already been ruled out in EQnext. It will stay 8)

Well, 12 with hot swap but we'll have to see how they work with the combat system.  I have to agree with them that it's better to have your eyes on the "action" and not a UI.

Starting cities for every race that made you feel like you were a part of something unique.

The lore is about coming back to your homeland after 500 years.  Being a part of "something unique" will be building the dev content yourself, not just having it placed for you.  I do hope more cities will be found or built though, maybe find a way to uncover Takish-Hiz for the elves or rebuilding the ruins talked about in the ebook.

Have you considered that even though there are a lot of differences that it could still be a great MMO that gives the same type of exploration and adventure but with a fresh feel? I still have a lot of questions but I'm excited to try something new.  MMOs these days are a bit boring.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

It will be everything that has gone before ; And everything they add using the new tech.

They can and will use all of the legacy lore and would be stupid not to ;

I think the OP needs to take a chill pill calm down a little and realize that he has no say in their development approach.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Victor_Kruger
    Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by Ecoces Originally posted by twitch242 Been clear since day one, that this has nothing to do with eq1. No idea where you get the feeling that everyone is saying that !?! What i personally dislike is that its not even remotely "eq" like.
    its not supposed to be remotely close to EQ! this is why at first they wanted to name it something else besides Everquest.I don't know why they didn't go through with that statement.      
      well that's their issue isn't it? they deserve the backlash if they are going to call a game everquest and not put anything in the game that remotely resembles an everquest game. they are just calling it everquest to make more money by fooling EQ fans into thinking it has the "spirit if everquest" like the author of the article on this site. it simply does not, its just another game, its not everquest.    
    The EQ you and other EQ vets wanted died the day SWTOR took a face plant into the dirt. I am pretty sure the first versions of EQ Next was more like the older EQ games but SOE shifted gears and decided to scrap it. New themepark style games cannot beat WoW, people will play it then go back to WoW, sadly the early version of EQ Next would of been called a WoW clone by players who never heard of EQ. If ESO and EQ NEXT flop then big western companies will stop making mmos. 

SWTOR the most expensive mmo ever made loss 75% of its starting player base and was expected to have millions playing it, when it failed it was a big signal that the old ways of making mmos is not going to work anymore. SOE wants too kick Blizzard in the balls and hit a home run with a different kind of game that will appeal to WoW players with its art style. They are going after money and creating a new game which could fail big time or replace WoW (which is on its last leg) as the leading fantasy mmo on the market.

It may not be your EverQuest but it will be a EverQuest to a new playerbase. I think a indie company can make a new version of the old EQ with a different IP and there will be market for it. I think a lot of the EQ vets not happy with EQ Next can help invest in it. It can happen. 

isn't GW2 a themepark as well? how come they adopted features from that game? its not like i was expecting it to be full of themepark features from EQ, i was expecting it to at least have some features carry over like similar looking art style at least?

or is realistic graphics now a themepark trait? it could have also had 40+ classes implemented more like an EQ game (yes with trinity), instead of making it more like GW2.

all i want is for it to have at least SOME familiarity to the everquest brand, even if it was just the visuals and music.

especially when they promised that it would be familiar to everquest fans, i guess they just meant the title alone?

honestly, is it really too much to ask that an everquest game have a couple everquest features?

but whatever, its not like its going to change, its just another game that i will try since its F2P but to me it isn't everquest, at least from the info we have now.

Originally posted by ste2000

We know, thank you very much............ there is no need to be so patronising.

We were aware of it even before they officially unveiled it.

Unfortunately people like you don't get the point.

We are not asking for an EQ with better graphics, we were expecting an evolution of EQ, a modern game which retains EQ most iconic features and with a sandbox twist.

We got the sandbox and the modern bit...............unfortunately they forgot to add the Everquest part.

This game could be good if it wasn't call Everquest.

Unfortunately unless they put the "Everquest" into Everquest Next...................... they will kill the IP.

I am not sure the Minecraft part will be enough to make it a success.

By iconic features, you mean the same features that can be found in the majority of mmos? 

Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by Victor_Kruger

Originally posted by twitch242 Been clear since day one, that this has nothing to do with eq1. No idea where you get the feeling that everyone is saying that !?! What i personally dislike is that its not even remotely "eq" like.
    its not supposed to be remotely close to EQ! this is why at first they wanted to name it something else besides Everquest.I don't know why they didn't go through with that statement.      
      well that's their issue isn't it? they deserve the backlash if they are going to call a game everquest and not put anything in the game that remotely resembles an everquest game. they are just calling it everquest to make more money by fooling EQ fans into thinking it has the "spirit if everquest" like the author of the article on this site. it simply does not, its just another game, its not everquest.    
    The EQ you and other EQ vets wanted died the day SWTOR took a face plant into the dirt. I am pretty sure the first versions of EQ Next was more like the older EQ games but SOE shifted gears and decided to scrap it. New themepark style games cannot beat WoW, people will play it then go back to WoW, sadly the early version of EQ Next would of been called a WoW clone by players who never heard of EQ. If ESO and EQ NEXT flop then big western companies will stop making mmos. 

SWTOR the most expensive mmo ever made loss 75% of its starting player base and was expected to have millions playing it, when it failed it was a big signal that the old ways of making mmos is not going to work anymore. SOE wants too kick Blizzard in the balls and hit a home run with a different kind of game that will appeal to WoW players with its art style. They are going after money and creating a new game which could fail big time or replace WoW (which is on its last leg) as the leading fantasy mmo on the market.

It may not be your EverQuest but it will be a EverQuest to a new playerbase. I think a indie company can make a new version of the old EQ with a different IP and there will be market for it. I think a lot of the EQ vets not happy with EQ Next can help invest in it. It can happen. 

isn't GW2 a themepark as well? how come they adopted features from that game? its not like i was expecting it to be full of themepark features from EQ, i was expecting it to at least have some features carry over like similar looking art style at least?

or is realistic graphics now a themepark trait? it could have also had 40+ classes implemented more like an EQ game (yes with trinity), instead of making it more like GW2.

all i want is for it to have at least SOME familiarity to the everquest brand, even if it was just the visuals and music.

especially when they promised that it would be familiar to everquest fans, i guess they just meant the title alone?

honestly, is it really too much to ask that an everquest game have a couple everquest features?

but whatever, its not like its going to change, its just another game that i will try since its F2P but to me it isn't everquest, at least from the info we have now.

It is a matter of perception. I and many can clearly see EQ in the new music and art style. 

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591

SOE is making the Everquest they need to make not the game you want to come out (for those wanting a reskinned eq). Why spend millions of dollars to make a reskin only to poach from EQ itself or P1999? In case you havn't noticed there aren't that many people playing those games. It's a niche market and you want SOE to divide that market even further?

By releasing a new type mmo SOE can grow the market as a whole instead of fighting over small slices of the pie.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

EQ is going on 14 years, with expansions every years.  EQ2 is going on 8 years, with expansions every year  There are not many games that do that even after three years.  EQ invented the genre.  People still play, a lot more than you think.  The same with EQ2.

As long as it has SWG crafting, should be good to go.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

Everyone realized this when they saw Tony the Tiger and the Pixar chic..

Edit: And to Bill.. I didn't poop myself.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Allein

Originally posted by Vutar

Get this through your head. It isn't Everquest at all. It should be renamed something else entirely. Then there would be no confusion. The problem is they want to sell the game based on the Everquest name. They had people post video's sharing their EQ nostalgia. At the unveiling they even played EQ1 theme music to bring even more nostalgia into the equation. Then they proceeded to discard every single thing that made Everquest a great game.

SOE caused the current rift by their marketing of this game. They lead people to believe it was going to have characteristics of Everquest but it doesn't except in names alone.

well that's their issue isn't it? they deserve the backlash if they are going to call a game everquest and not put anything in the game that remotely resembles an everquest game.

they are just calling it everquest to make more money by fooling EQ fans into thinking it has the "spirit if everquest" like the author of the article on this site.

it simply does not, its just another game, its not everquest.

What exactly are they missing that made EQ, EQ? Beyond slow combat with the Trinity and Tab Targeting.

And how could they take the unique elements and translate them to 2013 and for the gaming community of today?

That is easy to me.. I want variety of skills and spells across the board encompassing a number of classes.. Traveling is something that should be slow, or find one that ports..  Players should not be allowed move from Arizona to China with a click of a button.. (druids and wizzie excluded)  I want buffs and debuffs to be meaningful.. I want weight allowance issues.. I want food and drink requirements.. I want the ability to kite, mez and charm mobs.. EQ had many more options of play style then today's games.. IMO  The ONLY thing I would of done truly different with EQ would be to tweak trash mobs so they can be soloed, while still promoting hard mobs for group encounters..