Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Mage??

TalketzantoTalketzanto Member UncommonPosts: 205
Im new to FF games. Lets say I wanted to play a Black Mage. I don't see it as a class I can pick at start so what exactly do you have to do to play one????  #confused

Comments

• bluevampyrebluevampyre Member Posts: 23
    Pick Thaumaturge, at level 30 you will have the option to undertake the story quests that will unlock the Black Mage job for your Thaumaturge provided you also have Arcanist (or Pugilist I'm not too sure) at level 15. Keep in mind that Black Mage is not a separate class to Thaumaturge. It's a Job (ie, talent spec) for Thaumaturge that gives you Black Mage specific spells and the ability to equip Black Mage specific gear.
  • PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

You level the thaumaturge class to level 30, and a pugilist to level 15. You then qualify for the Black Mage job. You can also utilize skills from Archer. 

http://www.gaiscioch.com/tavern/ffxiv_discussion/post_60598.html

• TalketzantoTalketzanto Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Oh ok thats starting to make more sense. So it would be a good idea to get a pug to 15 before I even start the thuarmaturge. Thanks people
  • MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Talketzanto
    Oh ok thats starting to make more sense. So it would be a good idea to get a pug to 15 before I even start the thuarmaturge. Thanks people

Pugilist requirement will be changed to arcanist for 2.0, I'd level Pugilist to 6 though (I think) so you can get Second Wind.  A nice TP based self heal.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Originally posted by Murugan
    Originally posted by Talketzanto

Pugilist requirement will be changed to arcanist for 2.0, I'd level Pugilist to 6 though (I think) so you can get Second Wind.  A nice TP based self heal.

Source?  Everything I've read or seen including video from beta 3 says Pugilist (which admittedly doesn't seem to make any sense).

Is there anything IN the game that tells you about the jobs - so we know where to look once we're in to do some planning (since apparently a lot of info sites are wrong) ?

This is a good link to the class/job system in general:

http://ffxivrealm.com/guides/job-class-system-explained.6/

This site has a lot of good info summarized from various sources, including class/job details:

http://www.ffxivguild.com/

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• DesertKidDesertKid Member Posts: 2
    Well, I had a level 49 thaumaturge from 1.0 and decided to log into this open beta to see how the black mage turned out.  I leveled up an Arcanist to level 15 and no quest to become a BLM.  So I then leveld up a Pugilist to level 15 and no quest to become a BLM.  I do see others running around with unlocked jobs, I just don't know what the issue is... Unless I have to do the class quests all over again, I am not too sure.  I guess that's the next thing I'll try.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by DesertKid
    Well, I had a level 49 thaumaturge from 1.0 and decided to log into this open beta to see how the black mage turned out.  I leveled up an Arcanist to level 15 and no quest to become a BLM.  So I then leveld up a Pugilist to level 15 and no quest to become a BLM.  I do see others running around with unlocked jobs, I just don't know what the issue is... Unless I have to do the class quests all over again, I am not too sure.  I guess that's the next thing I'll try.

Why on earth did you level thaumaturge all the way to 49 without unlocking BLM in 1.0? lol

Anyway....jobs are not available unless you previously unlocked them, level 20 is the open beta content lock.....so you will not be able to unlock blm.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Kajidourden

Why on earth did you level thaumaturge all the way to 49 without unlocking BLM in 1.0? lol

Anyway....jobs are not available unless you previously unlocked them, level 20 is the open beta content lock.....so you will not be able to unlock blm.

This ^

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by Br3akingDawn
    Originally posted by Kajidourden

maybe he quitted before BLM was out? BLM didnt come till 1.21.

Ahhhhh, you right

Pardon, I derped all over the place.

• DesertKidDesertKid Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, I quit right at about the time they released news about notorious monsters or whatever they were called.    I suppose I will just level an Archer to level 15 just in case... So that I can unlock the job upon game release.  I'm curious to know how people unblocked the BLM job before?