Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AAA mmo, filthy rich IP, and still uses speech bubbles with zero sound -_-

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by coretex666

New generation of MMO players is ruining the genre with complaints like:

"There are no voices"

"The graphic looks old and cartoony"

"What? Why did they go with the prehistoric tab targeting. I demand action combat. You know...the one I am used to from playing arcade console games"

"Too many action bars and skills, how am I supposed to play the game on my joypad"

"It takes too long to level up"

"Vertical progression has no place in MMORPGs, it ruins balance in PVP"

"It is too grindy. I want my legendary gear NOW"

"Only griefers want OWPVP"

"Why would I buy an expensive PC when I can get cheap PS4"

"What? The game is PC only? I am not playing any MMOs that do not support consoles"

Disgusting!

They are ruining things for sure but it is worse that that.  Game has VO they complain about that.  If it doesn't have VO they complain about that.  It is like children trying to push their parents limits because they feel powerless.  That's how I see many of the complaining players in forums, as powerless children crying to get their way.

(red) The they you're referring to is a bunch of different individuals with different preferences, it's not the same people. As for the rest of your post (yellow), it's clear who not to try and have a conversation with.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702
    Voice acting is extremely expensive and does very little for an MMO. Most people skipped SWTOR's cutscenes after a few levels, the same would be true here. I'd much rather they invest that money elsewhere.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Distopia

"There are no voices"

"What? Why did they go with the prehistoric tab targeting. I demand action combat. You know...the one I am used to from playing arcade console games"

"Too many action bars and skills, how am I supposed to play the game on my joypad"

"What? The game is PC only? I am not playing any MMOs that do not support consoles"

Disgusting!

They are ruining things for sure but it is worse that that.  Game has VO they complain about that.  If it doesn't have VO they complain about that.  It is like children trying to push their parents limits because they feel powerless.  That's how I see many of the complaining players in forums, as powerless children crying to get their way.

(red) The they you're referring to is a bunch of different individuals with different preferences, it's not the same people. As for the rest of your post (yellow), it's clear who not to try and have a conversation with.

Nice try, I have seen people say one thing and do another.  YOu have a different experience that's fine but I have another.  You can't accept it fine.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by Pouf

Yea i kinda like it that way too, there are just enough event for me to watch them all.

I loved it in SWTOR at first, but I ended up spamming "space bar" to skip WAY before level 50

Same here man. 

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by Kajidourden
    Originally posted by sbanting

Due to SW opening my eyes to more of the Role Playing side, I really enjoyed that, so now I try and listen and understand the story, but when text reels on forever, with strange words, and funny grammar, it just ends up being skipped.

Oh, strange words...meaning words you don't know....but your lack of vocabulary is the devs fault....got it.

This is quite normal in Japanese to English translations, as our languages are completely different. Akira was a good transition, because those doing it understood these fundamental differences.  So yes these types of abnormal phrases are the fault of the devs.

Wrong again.  The translations are just fine.  This guy simply doesn't know the words or the accent expression in the text.  Its a trait most people who actually READ have.  And it's an extra layer of depth and personality for each character, or the city they're from, etc.

Just because it looks funny to you doesn't mean it's wrong.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Voice overs are over rated, and at best are just fluff.

Upset because they aren't part of a game?  That's just silly.

There ARE quite a few voice overs in the game already, and they ARE adding more, yet I really couldn't care less, I've been reading books since I was four, and they've taken me places no movie or TV show ever could, the written word is a powerful medium, use your imagination.

• PluppetsPluppets Member Posts: 45

"There are no voices"

Disgusting!

I think his point is that the community at large has diametrically opposed standards.

I also think it's true that the same personality types are the ones most likely to complain, be it for or against VO.  So, to say 'they' in this context is actually fairly accurate.  lol XD

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Pluppets

I think his point is that the community at large has diametrically opposed standards.

I also think it's true that the same personality types are the ones most likely to complain, be it for or against VO.  So, to say 'they' in this context is actually fairly accurate.  lol XD

That may be the case, maybe I jumped the gun. However it wouldn't be the first time I've seen the two sides lumped together in a manner where they're seen as one contradictory voice. Which would be like saying that about Liberals and Conservatives.:D

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• sharpshadesharpshade Member UncommonPosts: 58

"There are no voices"

Disgusting!

OMG I'm so happy to see this lol! I was just complaining to a good friend of mine yesterday about this. I know I'm an old-er gamer but this is really what it's come down to and I can't take it anymore. I've been in such a gaming rutt because everything shiney and new that comes out, I get my hopes up, only to find out it's some gamepad, action combat borefest. FFXIV may be having some issues right now with errors and log-ins but I have finally found a new MMO home and I couldn't be happier.

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354
    Please remember everyone that this kind if threads happen at the beginning of each beta phase, the people who does not like the game will log off after reaching level 5 or 10 And start threads bashing it in the forum.
    After beta phase ends, most people who are enjoying the game are just done playing it and did Not have time to visit the forums. Only then, you will start seeing much more positive feedback then negative.

In the many polls over this game on many sites, most of the testers had positive feedback
  • Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

It scares me that there are people that say they don't like to read and reading is no fun, so they want someone else to read for them.

Is it lack of imagination, or the need to have 100% action in a role playing game? Or becoming more widespread analphabetism?

Voice acting shouldn't be ever mandatory in game industry, there should always be a choice. You might as well require audio to every book you buy. Don't try to make the world more crazy than it already is.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Because voiceovers are a sure sign of an amazing game and ensure it's success, I mean just look at SWTOR!
  • GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Because voiceovers are a sure sign of an amazing game and ensure it's success, I mean just look at SWTOR!

Because voiceovers are a sure sign of a terrible game and ensure that it will fail ...

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by Gormogon

Because voiceovers are a sure sign of a terrible game and ensure that it will fail ...

They've had to redo all the storytelling, graphical engine and everything. I don't think that they could afford to make this game fully voiced. Like Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, XIII-3, and XV.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    The new generation of gamer has only known Final Fantasy 12, 13 and 14. Not exactly the greatest of the series, so I have to question if this is such a big IP as many of us believe. It's probably only large in the minds of Japanese and Final Fantasy fans such as me who have played them since back at Final Fantasy 6.

When's the last time you heard someone praise a game just because it had voice overs? The whole thread is basically just grasping at anything possible to complain about. Are well done voice overs a nice addition? Sure. But they're not going to turn a bad game into a good game, and lack of them wont turn a good game into a bad one.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by LlexX
    Voices are not important at all for an MMORPG.

Agreed. It's nice for a single player RPG, but even then it's not necessary.

<3

• sbantingsbanting Member Posts: 238

Apart from what I've already said, about strange words, and I mean place names and peoples names etc, not, I can't read English or their turns of phrases, even though, at times, thats a little strange too, but I deal with that from a game thats translated.

My main point that i'd like to say though, is in a book, as everyone keeps referencing, has emotions, has little discriptions of why the person is feeling the way tey do, and portrays thats to the reader. An MMO can't with just text, it would be alright if at least the NPCs were animated to convey emotion, but again they aren't, so the reader of the script has to interpret the whole thing instead. Voice overs are apart of the whole Final Fantasy experience in the single player rpgs, and at the end of the day, thats where the MMO came from. So I don't understand people saying it shouldn't be apart of the MMO experience, would Skyrim, Mass Effect, even Final Fantasy be as popular and as good as single player RPGs without the voice overs?

Apart from what I've already said, about strange words, and I mean place names and peoples names etc, not, I can't read English or their turns of phrases, even though, at times, thats a little strange too, but I deal with that from a game thats translated.

My main point that i'd like to say though, is in a book, as everyone keeps referencing, has emotions, has little discriptions of why the person is feeling the way tey do, and portrays thats to the reader. An MMO can't with just text, it would be alright if at least the NPCs were animated to convey emotion, but again they aren't, so the reader of the script has to interpret the whole thing instead. Voice overs are apart of the whole Final Fantasy experience in the single player rpgs, and at the end of the day, thats where the MMO came from. So I don't understand people saying it shouldn't be apart of the MMO experience, would Skyrim, Mass Effect, even Final Fantasy be as popular and as good as single player RPGs without the voice overs?

Final Fantasy was extremely popular before they started using voiceovers. In fact I think more FF games (both the main series and spin-offs like FF Tactics, etc) have had no voiceovers than have had them in FF games. IIRC they didnt even start using them until FF8, and then just for cutscenes. Even the newer ones (10+) dont use VOs for much outside of cutscenes and battle.

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

When's the last time you heard someone praise a game just because it had voice overs?

Where did I say, "Voiceovers alone can make a great game!" or "People praise sucky games just for their voiceovers!"?

All the SWTOR argument says is that voiceovers don't save a bad game.  It says nothing about what voiceovers could do for ARR, and people should stop implying that it does.  That was all I was suggesting.

There are some very good reasons why voiceovers could actually hurt a game, but a "failed" game -- one which failed for way more reasons than it spent too many resources on voiceovers -- is not a reason, merely an example.   Used by itself, it's an intellectually bankrupt argument.

"The last Final Fantasy MMO set in Eorzea with 'XIV' in it's title failed."  And what ... ? 

Originally posted by Mr.Kujo

It scares me that there are people that say they don't like to read and reading is no fun, so they want someone else to read for them.

Is it lack of imagination, or the need to have 100% action in a role playing game? Or becoming more widespread analphabetism?

So how many people in this thread have said, "I don't like reading.  Reading is no fun.  I want someone to read to me"? 

Enjoying voiceovers in games doesn't require you to hate reading, think it's no fun, or have no imagination.

If you're going to throw lack of imagination and some uncultured need for more action as characteristics of people who would like more voiceovers, then why the hell are you here?  They make text-based online RPGs where you don't have a team of artists imagining the world and characters for you either.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Well, i happen to like the quests and stories in SWTOR, TSW, SKYRIM, THE WITCHER and some other games, and guess what, they are all voiced over..

Its quite simple, to me voiced over and acting is easilly more immersive then writing in a game.. and i am not really prepared to take a step down, if you can live with texts withouth clicking them away, please enjoy it. I know my preference..

And no, voice overs does not make for a good game, but it adds a lot more to the imersivenes of the stories.  And you are probably using SWTOR as a wrong accemple of a bad game, its actually the 3rd or 4th most played MMO currently in the western world, so there must be a lot of people liking it. 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Has absolutely nothing to do with translation and everything to do with your lack of ability to comprehend.  It's okay....you can admit it.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394
    I'm shocked at how many people are complaining about reading quest and story text.  Back in my day, that was the average rpg, tons and tons and tons of text based gameplay.  And I was happy with it!  Because it unraveled an engaging storyline.  These kids nowadays are so spoiled with their CoDs and there Halo's that they cant' appreciate a game that involves plenty of engaging reading.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Kajidourden

Has absolutely nothing to do with translation and everything to do with your lack of ability to comprehend.  It's okay....you can admit it.

YA not sure what he's talking about.  I haven't run into a translation issue yet.  Hell they even carried accents and all that over.  This was an in house job probably and a great one at that.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Its quite simple, to me voiced over and acting is easilly more immersive then writing in a game.. and i am not really prepared to take a step down, if you can live with texts withouth clicking them away, please enjoy it. I know my preference..

Voice acting breaks immersion in my case. If it is bad and unprofessional then case is simple. If it is good, then it is broken by emotionless or robotic npc facial expressions. It is too wierd to hear a guy crying in agony and see his poker face at the same time, and that breaks immersion for me. Funny that in old games, specially jrpg's we had only text, but facial expressions were just switched face textures and reading that text, and seeing a really depressing face expression gave more immersion than what is seen now with all the new technology.

So it is actually regress. Advancement in technology - voice overs, high quality textures, by the cost of the true realism.

But it is just my opinion, and that one is yours, in the end majority will count, co probably your group. Just want to show that not everyone thinks like that.