Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Module 1: Fury of the Feywild Preview

RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Next Thursday, August 22nd, they will be adding the first module to the game, with a bunch of different additions and changes.

http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=958251

The trailer for the module is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNqInbO2xnI

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    What? Aside from Hammer of Fate (which could one shot other players) all the cleric changes were boosts?

Anyway I can't be bothered with the game until they release some interesting classes and challenging dungeons that don't rely on massive mob zergs.
  • crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

It's not even clear what they are trying to accomplish with those changes.

The cynic in me immediately looks for the cash grab angle. That's the problem I have with F2P, even when there's no evidence to support my suspicions and I can't see the angle,  I always expect the worst of the developers. Anyway, as a DC that 40% hit to HoF is a real kick in the balls. Time to uninstall this game I think, I'm not getting any fun out of it any more. 

• LanessarLanessar Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by crack_fox
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

It's not even clear what they are trying to accomplish with those changes.

The cynic in me immediately looks for the cash grab angle. That's the problem I have with F2P, even when there's no evidence to support my suspicions and I can't see the angle,  I always expect the worst of the developers. Anyway, as a DC that 40% hit to HoF is a real kick in the balls. Time to uninstall this game I think, I'm not getting any fun out of it any more. 

I actually wish it were that ulterior. I might actually respect that. However, Cryptic has been superb at this type of "balancing" with every game they have been in charge of.

- City of Heroes: Tanker migitation changes, blaster nerfs, then controller/defender nerfs, capped off by ED (global re-work).

- STO: I don't have the specifics, because I didn't play the game at launch. Essentially, though, it's turned into "why u no tac off?" through reductions to the other two "classes". Then, the whole mechanics were re-worked and... the Tac off became the only viable class to play.

- Champs: Don't get me started. Let's just say they pretty much nerfed insanely to "balance" across the boards for the first three months the game was running. I literally couldn't keep up, because the ATs were being "tweaked" to the tune of 23 ability reductions a week or two. It was so willy-nilly, players literally had no clue why an ability no one ever used was nerfed to the ground (because it was terrible to begin with).

- Neverwinter: Let's just say someone has it in for GWF on the development team, and it was a tedious class to play even in the beta weekend. But you can say the same for (in turn): DC, TR, GF. Control wizard has been the only one they've increased (because, well, it sucked ass and half the talents were just plain broken). But from Feywild patch notes, it looks like they might be getting to him now.

This is pretty much Cryptic's development model. Make a game, generally fun classes. Immediately crush key mechanics which made it "fun" (but usually not overpowered) instead of actually fixing the bugs which created the problem. Then, about 4-5 months in, you'll see a complete re-work of the system from the ground up which basically breaks everything.

Thankfully, in CoH, they were replaced after ED by Paragon, which ran it really well.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Lanessar

I actually wish it were that ulterior. I might actually respect that. However, Cryptic has been superb at this type of "balancing" with every game they have been in charge of.

I wouldn't underestimate their ulterior motives, especially with the heavy handed cash shop they have created.

Truth be told it doesn't take a genius to figure out how to get players to make alts or shift the base towards a certain direction with nerfs and get people to spend more money on new characters or abilities/respecs cause the current class sucks. Taiwanese and Korean companies have been doing it for years and alot of MMO players are much wiser to this shady tactic.

I would say Cryptic is becoming quite verse in how to pad numbers and it ultimately is going to destroy them completely as alot of gamers these days are not that naive and are demanding content over padded numbers thankfully.