Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Sorry this game is terrible.

Comments

• BigbadwlfBigbadwlf Philadelphia, PAPosts: 116Member

So, I'm going to bring some information to this flame thread in hopes of making this a bit more constructive.

I was privileged to get into one of the earlier FFXIV beta tests.  And the game was clearly awful.  6 classes, one starter zone, leveling felt slow and grindy.  The game was really just lacking in everything, except graphically. 

I was impressed with beta 4.  All the classes unlocked, 3 starter zones, they got PvP into the game, vastly improved the controls.  The combat is still slow but the monsters have red targeting AoE that keeps players moving around more.  The FATEs now come more frequently instead of once, and you can even level sync yourself to do them.  Duty Finder is always a great feature to have, and of course the game looks and runs like a dream on my shoddy computer.

I think once the Guild Wars 2 "let's revolutionize MMOs" bubble bursted, people are less interested in hype and broken promises now. Is FFXIV going to sell 3 million subscriptions? Heck no, but it's definitely a solid game now, worth paying for the first free month at least.  Also it's coming out at the perfect time, this will be the game of choice to fill the MMO drought until Spring 2014 when Elder Scrolls Online is coming out.

It's really going to depend on FFXIV content update cycle that will determine if it's a good game or not.  Since it's subscription, they better be ready to shell out 8 months straight of content updates.  Going by how much content was added between now and the earlier beta phases I participated in, it might be possible they can get new content added fast.

The bottom line is that this game doesn't really have anything new to offer players, but what it lacks in quality, it makes up in quantity.  If they can continue delivering a lot of quantity content, I don't see why people shouldn't be able to enjoy this game.

• BeastnBeastn Orlando, FLPosts: 110Member
    this games opening = zzzzz..... this games combat is slow... to slow, and gives me a head ache... lots of crazy lighting effects and the combat sound effects sounds like I'm beating a bag full of dishes with a chandelier... in other words lots of breaking glass lol
  • GinsanaGinsana boston, MAPosts: 18Member

I agree.  Save the 60 dollars, read everyone feedback before buying.

My experince with the game:

After a nice character generating experience that is not as mind blowing as it at first seems you start the game with a very very very, very long "welcome to the world" sequence.  Initially you can simply sit there and watch the video with sound and voice but pretty soon the video looses the talk over acting and you will need to start clicking the screen to advance the one sided conversation.  Just clicking anywhere will do, get comfortable, you will be doing this a lot in this game.  It will be approximately 7 min before you actually get to control your character.

A note about the graphics here.  Who ever did the texturing in this game needs an award, like ASAP.  Its amazing.  Whoever is responsible for the colors of the characters gear needs to be given an talking too.  The landscape is bright and vibrant.  The character gear colors are just drab drab drab.  They do not match up.  You will start to notice this right off the bat.  There must have been some disconnect between departments.  Also why in gods name does my gladiator start off in the same stupid slutty barbie doll skirt and tights that my conjurer does?  Don't even get me started on the 9 year old faces on the cats.  thats just….ewww.

Eventually your character is released from the the grip of the game system and you arrive in your home city where you are quickly sent on your first of many, go here, talk to this guy quests.  

When you find the first quest turn-in guy your character will again be whisked away and taken over by the game.  You will need to click 15+ times or so thru a "welcome to the city" presentation speech. each time you talk to an npc you will have to go thru this clicking through cut scenes thing.  Do you remember the SWTOR cut scenes?  These are not like those.  Those were great.  These cut scenes occur at the drop of a hat and rarely impart any interesting or personally relevant information.  You have no input in the conversations and generally just stand there while the npc IM's you incessantly.  If you really like npc chatter and roleplaying with npc's this might be something you will enjoy about this game. Also oddly each time you accept a quest there is the huge fanfare like you have leveled or something.  Weird any who, 

Eventually the text wall ends and you may think that you can start the action now but no, now you are sent to tour the main city area you landed in.  (Don't worry about making a bad choice for a first race/city, they all suck,  it's not just the one you are in.)  The cities are sprawling and there are quests all over the place asking you to deliver stuff or talk to so and so.  You will spend 20-40 min running around the city, some of this time the map will help you navigate around.  Many of the people you meet will cause your character to be controlled by the game again so don't get all excited about free will and all that jazz just yet.  

After 40 or so minutes you will be pretty anxious to get outside the city and actually use any ability other than the non class specific sprint ability to run errands faster.  This is where things, for me, went from a bit concerning to downright ridiculous.  

Each city has several 'instanced' zones.  If you are in one zone your map is blank outside of that zone.  So, if your quest log says to go to blah blah blah and give some guy an eel pie, and you are not in the same city zone as the guy that needs the eel pie, well, your screwed.  Your map will highlight the zone exits to let you know you are not in the right zone but that is about as specific as it gets.  No, I'm not pulling your leg.  Have a mentioned these cites are full of dead ends?  On the plus side IF you find yourself in the right zone you can open up a map, oddly different than the  tiny mini-map, that will expand and show you where your quest objectives are, most of the time. This map is really nice and quite useful.  My advice is to turn off the mini map entirely and just use this useful one.

Ok so you did all of the silly city quests and now have a quest to go kill ladybugs or some such at the city gates, and you actually found the correct city exit for this.  (Note here that finding a zone exit that leads not to yet another city zone but to an actual outside area is challenging. Also, each or the 5 or so city exits leads to a different place with different quest objectives none of which will ever be shown if you are not already there)  

So you have found the outside, you are all pumped up, and ready to kill 5 ladybugs. Now you hope the fun will start.  But you will probably just end up frustrated.  The cast time/global cool down is so high even on the basic starter abilities that it feels like your moving through peanut butter to hit mobs.  It's not an exciting finger biting experience.  It's not even a relaxing mellow experience. It's just kinda frustrating sitting there waiting for the GCD to run out so you can hit one of your ability buttons.  If you think 20 seconds is not too long to wait remember that most games do not have every blessed ability on the same GCD and that most of the abilities are not, instant?  It's hard to explain but really fighting thru peanut butter is my best effort here.  Thats what it felt like to me.  In all 4 classes I tried. I have to note here that the sounds and effects of fighting are a bit off as well.  For instance the hunter fighting sound is…brace yourself, the sound of a leather clad biker adjusting him self on his Harley.  A kind of squishy squeltchy leather bunched up sound.  No arrow sounds.  Weird.  

But wait!  There is more because at the end of it all mobs do not typically drop anything but quest items.  No piñata.  Zip, none, parlez vous nanda? Every great once in a while a mob will drop something but honestly after leveling one toon to level 10 I happened to look in my bags to see if i had anything to sell and there were just 3 grey item things that could also be used for crafting.  No gear, an occasional heal pot i think but I'm not sure.  At any rate if they did drop from a mob there was no easy way to tell.  No loot window pops up.  I really like that we do not need to click on dead mobs to loot, this is fantastic, but for 99.9% of mobs to have no loot at all?  That is just sad, especially after all the peanut butter crap.

The UI didn't work for me.  Yes you can move the bars around etc but the information IN the bars was not very well presented.  Why do these games always feel they need to reinvent the wheel? A needle thin health bar is just silly.  The target bar is just as bad.  It does not matter where on the screen i move it it's still not exactly jumping out at me.

My first character was an archer,  I hated that squelchy biker noise but i decided to just stick it out until level 10 when i could change my class.  This did not turn out to be as easy as i thought but not really difficult either. Just know before hand that you have to complete your class quests to some level 10 event encounter, you also have a level 5 event encounter, before you can either craft or change your class.  I had a hard time finding my quests and quest items so had not completed my class quests.  Rather than struggle though another few hours of trying to find quests and quest hubs i just rerolled.

Which reminds me.  Quests are fairly linear you can not simply hop to a new area and find lots of quests you are eligible for.  At least not before level 15. Also because mobs do not drop items or cash you need to do the quests to pay for equipment repairs and upgrades.  Most of the quests i completed did not offer gear rewards.

The map is not, strictly speaking, open world.  You will run into invisible walls sometimes if you stray from quest areas.

Really I only played this game to level 10 on an archer and till level 6-9 on several other toons both caster and melee.  I tried, really tried to like this game,  I wanted to like this game, hell love this game but i just can't stand the peanut butter issue.  It has all of the bells and whistles, everything going for it to make it a long term game but its just so slow moving and far to controlling and closed.

In summery I found the basics of simply finding quests and quest objectives quite challenging, the continuous hijacking of my toon annoying and invasive, and the mobs not dropping loot..well.  that was the nail in the coffin.  I really wanted to stay with this for the housing and the crafting but damn,  I don't think it would be worth it. Heres to hoping Wildstar or Elder Scrolls pulls though for us.

I think this will be a real success for the old final fantasy players but no world shaker after the hype dies down.  If I owned Square Enix stock I would put in a sell order and fast.

Just one girls opinion and experience in the game.

• GiddianGiddian Livonia, MIPosts: 415Member

I have to agree with the Op 100%.

I tried it when it was released the first time and it stunk Bad, It Failed so they pulled it and renewed it, now want people to give their failed game a Second Chance. Against my vow never to pick it up again, I downloaded the Open Beta. What a Soup Sandwich. {A F#@&ing Mess}

I will say in it's defense, that it's better than the original release. Just BARELY. It is horrid, despite all the hype that people are trying to get you to believe. All I have to say is, Download the open beta and see for yourself. It will save you money.

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Largo, FLPosts: 156Member
    Glad I won't see you in game.  God bless your little heart.  Congrats on the thread.
  • PulsarManPulsarMan Tampa, FLPosts: 289Member
    I must have terrible taste then. Fine with me! :D 
  • GiddianGiddian Livonia, MIPosts: 415Member

Why is it that if you do NOT agree with the Hype and say so, your Tolling?

I hate the Game, I don't hope or wish it to fail. Not at all. I wish it Success. I also don't want people to buy into the hype about this game. It's Slow paced, Boring, and Not much better than the original release that was a Complete Failed Attempt of a MMO.

I WANT people to download the Open beta to see for themselves.

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Murrieta, CAPosts: 699Member

Why someone would make at thread after a couple hours just to bash the game is beyond me. You have a lot of growing up to do.

To balance out his whining I'd like to say I'm in love with the game.

• Hamger8Hamger8 College Point, NYPosts: 78Member

This game isn't instant action in the first few levels no mmo has you go straight into battle and have an insane battle how slow are some of you guys?

Yes the intro is meh not much appealing and the first lvls make you fight weak little enemys you expect to fight a giant dragon at the first 10 levels?

This game is for final fantasy fans it kicks out all the other players that have no clue what final fantasy is. The game right now is swarming with players probably a million or so and my server is full to many players in ever zone. They had to make 2 extra servers for the extra players that were trying to make characters.

Yes it like a chore going to each quest but once you hit the dungeon and ifrit that where it gets really fun. You can troll cry but this game won't fail there are a lot of players already leveling up their 2nd-3rd class to level 20.

They could have made the intro more appealing but other then that the game is perfectly fine if you expect this game to be instant action then this game is not for you go play vindicus if you want insane action.

• PurutzilPurutzil East Stroudsburg, PAPosts: 2,923Member Uncommon
    Really? haha I enjoyed it, Guildwars 2 for me was the worst first 2 hours i've played in an MMo in years... which honestly is a bit harsh to say anything though I assume how I felt with it seems to be the same you felt. I honestly am having a blast with the game more then I expected to the point it might be more then just a one month time waster I originally expected.
  • PpiperPpiper Horsham, PAPosts: 648Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Really? haha I enjoyed it, Guildwars 2 for me was the worst first 2 hours i've played in an MMo in years... which honestly is a bit harsh to say anything though I assume how I felt with it seems to be the same you felt. I honestly am having a blast with the game more then I expected to the point it might be more then just a one month time waster I originally expected.

GW2 was like kissing your sister? Yuk!

• Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by healboot

I pity you I wish it would have been all about what you wanted in a game better luck next game. Oh can I have your stuff?

Remember now, he played the game for 20 minutes he probably only has like 2000 gil.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Allacore69Allacore69 Casselberry, FLPosts: 839Member

Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by healboot I pity you I wish it would have been all about what you wanted in a game better luck next game. Oh can I have your stuff?  
     Remember now, he played the game for 20 minutes he probably only has like 2000 gil.

+1 lmao DUDE...lmao

Originally posted by Denambren
    I really wanted to like this game. Especially with the sub cost, because I wanted to support the monthly sub model. Then I played it, and I have to agree it is the worst introduction to an MMO I've ever experienced. The length of the intro is so long, I just couldn't make it to even one combat before quitting (gave it about 20 mins before giving up). The quests you do actually do are fetch quests and forced town exploration quests. 20+ mins and I never got to use an ability. Astonishingly bad. 0/10 initial score, but I'll bump it to 2/10 for the detail in the player character models.

Really? 20 minutes? Thats it? So you never got past level 1? How can you judge it then? Stop trolling and go home and stay off these forums if it's so bad.

Originally posted by Draemos
    Originally posted by DarkVergil Like really really terrible. The first 20 minutes had to be the worst introduction to any game I think I've ever played in years. And then after that god-awful introduction you have to kill what? Squirrels.  The combat is horrendusly slow thanks to its 2.5 gcd, and the quest are laughable. I'm 100% sure this game will fail just like all the WoW themepark copy's (Warhammer, LOTRO, AOC, SWTOR) the only difference is this game has much less hype than those games did. I really had alot of hope in this game and its first impressions just shot me to the ground. Archeage BETTER deliver.

Ah, it's not that bad.  I actually think is does everything well except combat (that's a pretty huge deal though).  It could use voiceovers a little more liberally too on the "main" quests.

But My conjurer has been using the same god damn two spells for 20 fucking levels.  That's pretty shit design and there isn't any getting around it.

My conjurer has 8 at level 18.

Level 1 - Stone
    Level 2 - Cure
    Level 4 - Aero
    Level 6 - Cleric Stance
    Level 8 - Protect
    Level 10 - Medica
    Level 12 - Raise
    Level 18 - Esuna
    Level 22 - Stone II

So exactly how do you have only 2 skills as a conjurer?

Oh wait, your being a troll and do not know what the hell you are talking about.

• HaurusHaurus New Westminster, BCPosts: 18Member
    Originally posted by healboot
    Originally posted by Tinybina
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    It's the last hope of the trinity-based MMOs guys!...lets hope there's no Obi Wan...this sub-genre of MMOs is long past getting shot behind the shed.

This is not the last hope, WIldstar is out there still and trust me.. It WILL DELIEVER.  Trust me...

Wildstar is a pipe dream WoW clone it brings nothing too the table accept player instanced housing

LOL I find it very amusing when someone calls any MMO a WoW clone, WoW is the biggest ripoff in MMO history.

It took various aspects of about half a dozen different successful MMOs that came before it (most notably Everquest & Ultima online) and fused them together into a single game, then dumbed everything down to draw in the casuals. Too many little kids these days that first got into MMOs with WoW and assume that it invented online gaming.

For those who do not know, WoW launched in 2005, the first modern style MMO launched in 1997, and there were hundreds of others prior to WoW. Nothing can be considered a WoW clone as WoW wasn't original in any way.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Monroe, NJPosts: 1,707Member Uncommon
    I'm so happy they made this game with the mindset of lets keep all of the awful players out of the game.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-FFXIV:ARR

Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by NBlitz This game doesn't need hype. It's a Final Fantasy. Also it'll be launching on the Playstation. What this game does do is weed out the gamers who would have no love for it. Just like every other title out there. It has its fans. I'm sure those who rush through or don't take their time with it will most definitely not enjoy it. Just like any other Final Fantasy game, where skipping stories and other parts that help immerse you in the world would hurt your enjoyment of it. I feel as though it's unlike other titles where you could play along and not have one iota of a clue what the hell is going on and not really care. As long as a certain Pavlovian condition is met. Loot that keeps being handed out as if it were falling from a pi

• GravargGravarg Harker Heights, TXPosts: 3,332Member Uncommon
    2.5 GCD is extremely fast for Final Fantasy...try FFXI...you get basic attack speeds of 4+ seconds somtimes, and you get weapon skills to use once every few minutes XD
  • AZHokie54AZHokie54 Phoenix, AZPosts: 275Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    I'm so happy they made this game with the mindset of lets keep all of the awful players out of the game.  

The goal of every subscription based game. Alienate an entire group of people. Brilliant! No wonder this game has already failed once before.

• PpiperPpiper Horsham, PAPosts: 648Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by JonnyBigBoss

Why someone would make at thread after a couple hours just to bash the game is beyond me. You have a lot of growing up to do.

To balance out his whining I'd like to say I'm in love with the game.

welcome to MMORPG, the place games come to die.

• NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon

Well, I have 2 opinions.

1. I played in the original, and in the ARR betas and i have to say i didnt enjoy what little time i played in them. There was no grand scale to things imo. killing all sorts of critters wasn't appealing nor was it very final fantasy in nature. If it wasn't called "final fantasy" then i can see very little resemblance to series.

I'm not gona go bash this game, Im just gona say there wasn't enough appeal for this final fantasy fan to continue playing.

2. I think its really funny that the original was shunned universally because it wasn't wow enough only to be fully "wowified" in ARR and still shunned lol. Cant win with "gamers" these days

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Syno23Syno23 LA, CA, CAPosts: 1,360Member
    You must realize that the combat is going to speed up later on. In the beginning of all MMOs the combat is a lot slower.
  • VoqarVoqar Phoenix, AZPosts: 498Member

I'm not sure that I'd say "terrible."  It's not what I really want since I prefer grouping and challenge at all levels and could live without 95% of the game being mindless solo ez-mode.  I don't believe in the "just get to the real game at endgame" mantra - to me that's a weak excuse for having most of the game be a waste of time and space.

Obviously a lot of people like horribly designed MMORPGs that are doomed to fail.  Because companies keep on cranking them out!

I do agree that this game will go the same way as the post WoW clones.  It's going to be SWTOR 2.0.  Hyped.  Nice release day numbers.  Too much emphasis on solo.  Not enough endgame at release.  Way too ultra easy.  Vets will cap out in a week or less.  Casuals will cap out in a month or less.  A smidge more time destroying whatever endgame exists.  Done.  3-6 months max before pops diminish dramatically.  6-12 months and a bunch of server merges til they throw in the towel and it's F2P.

Hope I'm wrong but all signs point to this.

There is no way a game this stupidly easy with such a ridiculously fast leveling curve, with pvp and some endgame known to be getting patched in (3 months?) after release (meaning nobody knows if there even IS any endgame to speak of), and that is completely in the mold of post WoW failures (failures to maintain subscribers or to stay sub-based) is going to live up to the producer's fantasies of providing years of sub-based entertainment.  It hasn't worked so far and it's not going to magically work this time either.

All the players hailing this game as being the greatest thing ever will be amongst the first to be bored and gone - shortly after they finish the solo ez-mode and dabble in grouping a little.  Just like always.  They're the people killing the genre and pushing devs to make yet more solo ez-mode content...because massively multiplayer is all about....soloing with a hundred doods with crappy avatar namess running around naked - that's quality!  That's how you build a game to LAST.

Why devs keep designing this style of game, or worse, sliding it even more towards ultra dumb and fast food speed, defies all logic.  They must be thinking, no, no, WE can do ultra dumbed down solo ez-mode better than anyone else and people will stick around after they obliterate in a few hours the content that took us 3-4 years and tens of millions of dollars to develop.  Yeah, we got this!

Programming is all about logic.  Most designers have SOME programming background.  How does this keep happening?

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaPosts: 8,428Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DarkVergil

Like really really terrible. The first 20 minutes had to be the worst introduction to any game I think I've ever played in years. And then after that god-awful introduction you have to kill what? Squirrels. 

The combat is horrendusly slow thanks to its 2.5 gcd, and the quest are laughable. I'm 100% sure this game will fail just like all the WoW themepark copy's (Warhammer, LOTRO, AOC, SWTOR) the only difference is this game has much less hype than those games did.

I really had alot of hope in this game and its first impressions just shot me to the ground. Archeage BETTER deliver.

Well first of all the number one populated game on the planet plops you down in the middle of nowhere,not even a starting city with no answer or reason as to why you are there.A certain other top ranked game plops you down in a very cheap looking warehouse.Another game of recent plops you down again in the middle of nowhere with nothing at all.

point is to compare this to OTHER games and say terrible,i hmm i think not a fair analogy.

Also there is NOTHING to say you have to kill squirrels but it would make sense being level 1 you would start by fighting something simple,would it not?You could have went and started crafting or harvesting,mining,logging,nobody forces you to kill  squirrels.You could just wander outside and join a Fate system.

That is the problem making a solo game, i never liked Square going this route,people expect huge dragons and expect to easily defeat them at level 1.Players need to get that WOW type gaming out of their head,quit LOOKING for yellow markers to hold your hand,go out and just play the game.

All those quests are super simple quests just to introduce players to the game,they are not meant to be hard or challenging or difficult.They are also to help you learn the surroundings,learn the city areas.Remember the complaints early on were the game had no tutorials,things were hard to find,poor UI,Square made a huge effort to ease the learning curve for new players not accustomed to FF gaming.

Samoan Diamond

This discussion has been closed.