Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sorry this game is terrible.

Comments

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Well I gave it a go. The extremely long and boring cinematics at the beginning put me to sleep.  Finally get started. Sweet another city divided into zone that have to loaded...... 90s much? And then the 2.5 GCD. I hope it fits for some people but don't think it will work for me.
  • ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    It's an old school MMO. It's boring in begging, just as Wow. End-game - there's lies a fun. 
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by bwinthehouse
    I think us true experienced MMO players were just truly insulted and angered by the first two hours of the game. The non-  experienced MMO  sheep probably enjoyed being a mail man for a couple of hours then having your powerful hero slay squirrels. This initial experience is just such a turn off that its hard to have faith in the rest of the game. To those who do, have probably never played an MMO or are a mail man irl. 

Watch following to remove the feeling of insult: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfrsvfcZ8ZE

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by DarkVergil

Like really really terrible. The first 20 minutes had to be the worst introduction to any game I think I've ever played in years. And then after that god-awful introduction you have to kill what? Squirrels. 

The combat is horrendusly slow thanks to its 2.5 gcd, and the quest are laughable. I'm 100% sure this game will fail just like all the WoW themepark copy's (Warhammer, LOTRO, AOC, SWTOR) the only difference is this game has much less hype than those games did.

I really had alot of hope in this game and its first impressions just shot me to the ground. Archeage BETTER deliver.

The only game that really "failed" on your little list there is Warhammer.  The others are still doing quite steady business.  LOTRO is still one of the better themeparks on the market, IMO.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• maple2maple2 Member UncommonPosts: 161

first of all just because u are used to world of warcraft and its super low cooldowns well.. its a different thing anyway.. FFXIV Reborn is great.. Combat system is awesome the questing is great, everything is just great in the game and there is nothing wrong with it..

it has almost no bugs,, lags, or anything else even when the servers are capped..

Dungeons are fun and the duty finder is great aswell..

FFXIV got alot of things u can do which will take time.. compared to other mmo this game is by far the best...

• maple2maple2 Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Originally posted by Arthasm
    It's an old school MMO. It's boring in begging, just as Wow. End-game - there's lies a fun. 

u are wierd.. FFXIV is not oldschool.. its not boring,, and the Cinematic is great. alot of people play games to get the history u know? not to rush mindlessly through it..

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Agree 100% with what OP said, but ArcheAge? LOL...
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by dekkion1  OUT OF 1 MILLION PEOPLE YOU ALWAYS GONNA

HAVE THE ONE ASSWIPE THAT TALKS  CRAP.

So this game has billions of people playing it ? Or are you just bad at math.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Not sure about the specific numbers, but cues to log on, servers being added and inability to create new characters on servers because they are maxed says a lot about decent numbers.   The population of the game is kind of a pain in terms of  waiting for respawns, because there are so many players also talks to decent numbers.  Will it stand the test of time? That remains to be seen, but FF XI has been going on for quite awhile.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by time007

Can we stop giving attention to this thread that is complaining about the TUTORIAL!!!!!

Remember when Allen Iverson got in trouble with the media for something he did during practice, then in a press conference he got asked about it and he said like 10 times in a row "C'mon guys, we're talking about practice.  Not a game.  Practice.  We're talking about practice.  We're talking about practice.  We're talking about practice (repeat 5 more times).

Well to everyone:  C'mon guys, we're talking about the tutorial.  The tutorial.  Not anything after the first hour.  We're talking about the tutorial. We're talking about the tutorial.  We're talking about the tutorial.  We're talking about the tutorial.

It's not that simple though. A tutorial does more than educate new players to the systems they will be dealing with. If it's successful, it also sets the pacing of the combat system, rate of character development and hints at the way the content should be consumed. And we all know if you don't acclimate your players successfully, you end up with disgruntled posters like DarkVergil.

For instance when I first played I consumed as many quest as I could during beta 3. Big Mistake. Later it dawned on me that the more quest I do early on, the less that will be available to me for other classes/jobs I unlocked. And I sure as hell didn't want to be stuck grinding anymore than I really had to. So I stymied my urge to hub clear questing areas like I normally do in most mmorpgs and paced myself a bit slower. In turn leveling other classes/jobs became less of a chore.

Final Fantasy XIV, it seems, is tasked with reintroducing many players to a system where you have to pace yourself and fully absorb the information presented to you. You have to understand their character progression system at its core in order utilize the content made available to you effectively. Because it is practice. You have 4 disciplines, 19 classes and 9 jobs waiting to be discovered and mastered. And you can switch between them relatively freely with one character.

So there is a good reason why I think the pacing and the combat is set slower than what we are used to from western developers. Because as more jobs and skills are introduced, more combat options are made available. And as you grow in job/class skill diversity, combat becomes a little more complex with skill chains and combos that come into play more during high level battles. Because Yoshi-P already stated that high level boss battles are designed to kill players by allowing little room for err. So if you prefer fast paced combat over strategy (skill chains) and timing (combos), now is the time to quit because this game will take practice, practice and more practice and a lack of patience will have no place it seems.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

Not sure about the specific numbers, but cues to log on, servers being added and inability to create new characters on servers because they are maxed says a lot about decent numbers.   The population of the game is kind of a pain in terms of  waiting for respawns, because there are so many players also talks to decent numbers.  Will it stand the test of time? That remains to be seen, but FF XI has been going on for quite awhile.

The number of people complaining here is no indication of a games chances at success....people complain about every game here. I just though his post was funny.

• rmd12rmd12 Member Posts: 3
    I have to agree with  OP 100%.

We have to go back...

• Guyjin37Guyjin37 Member Posts: 7

"I'm 100% positive she's my soul mate."

Is all I heard from Kip (OP).  In what MMO don't you go around killing really weak enemies to start?

"Straight to endgame, my good sir!"

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Tinybina
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    It's the last hope of the trinity-based MMOs guys!...lets hope there's no Obi Wan...this sub-genre of MMOs is long past getting shot behind the shed.

This is not the last hope, WIldstar is out there still and trust me.. It WILL DELIEVER.  Trust me...

Nope. WS will have a Cash Shop. So, no. It can't deliver.

OK, well maybe it can, but you have to pay extra for that.

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    I think us true experienced MMO players were just truly insulted and angered by the first two hours of the game. The non-  experienced MMO  sheep probably enjoyed being a mail man for a couple of hours then having your powerful hero slay squirrels. This initial experience is just such a turn off that its hard to have faith in the rest of the game. To those who do, have probably never played an MMO or are a mail man irl. 

First of all, don't presume to speak for "us true experienced MMO players", because you certainly do not. There is no "we" in your statements. You speak only for yourself.

You're "Insulted and angered by the first two hours of the game"? Laying on the melodrama a bit thick, aren't ya?

As a "true experienced MMO player" you should know by now that the first 2 hours or so of any MMO is designed specifically for new players. To teach them the game, to show them the ropes. You know, the things that everyone - yes, even  you - had to learn the first time they play a MMO?

A "true experienced MMO player" would remember that they once started out as a newbie as well, and that they too had to learn the ropes.

A "true experienced MMO player" would understand - without it even needing to be spelled out for them - that the initial quests and tasks in a MMO are not intended to challenge an experienced MMO player.

And referring to new players so insultingly as "sheep" simply because they never played a MMO before? Are you kidding me? Could you possibly be any more condescending?

For someone who labels themself a "true experienced MMO player", you demonstrate a striking degree of ignorance about it.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Ayulin

First of all, don't presume to speak for "us true experienced MMO players", because you certainly do not. There is no "we" in your statements. You speak only for yourself.

You're "Insulted and angered by the first two hours of the game"? Practicing hyperbole are we?

As a "true experienced MMO player" you should know by now that the first 2 hours or so of any MMO is designed specifically for new players. To teach them the game, to show them the ropes. You know, the things that everyone - yes, even  you - had to learn the first time they play a MMO?

A "true experienced MMO player" would remember that they once started out as a newbie as well, and that they too had to learn the ropes.

A "true experienced MMO player" would understand - without it even needing to be spelled out for them - that the initial quests and tasks in a MMO are not intended to challenge a veteran of the genre.

And referring to new players so insultingly as "sheep" simply because they never played a MMO before? Are you kidding me? Could you possibly be any more condescending?

For someone who labels themself a "true experienced MMO player", you demonstrate a striking degree of ignorance about it.

I have to agree. I was neither insulted or angry at any point. The opening quests are necessary for 2 reasons.

1. While I would have preferred otherwise, the fact remains, it's a PS3 game. So, it very well may bring in SE's Final Fantasy Console gamers who may not be experienced MMO players. So, yeah, if it expand's the community, I'll suck up a little hand holding while the uninitiated become so.

2. If you were paying attention and reading the text in those opening quests, you'd have seen them as necessary. There are a lot of NPCs that you will need to know. The quests take you to them and show you why they are in the game. If you don't know this, you will struggle a bit later on.

So, yeah, you start a brand new MMORPG and want to get into action and this one has you wait a bit. For me, it was worth it.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

The number of people complaining here is no indication of a games chances at success....people complain about every game here. I just though his post was funny.

Sorry my bad, I totally misread/misunderstood your response.   I guess that's the one problem with typing is sometimes its easy to miss things.

• StimzStimz Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Stopped reading after you said Warhammer was a fail.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625

Sorry, but nothing you've said applies to me, and i've been playing MMOs since 1998. This isn't a game that is going to provide 'instant gratification'. Time is required to be put in to be successful. An introduction is intended to be slow. It's that way so things build up. So there is a feeling of progression. It also teaches newer players some of the basics. Why would anyone have a problem with this. If you're an experienced player - you should breeze right through this. *NEWSFLASH* they didn't make this game only for you. 

• DemalisDemalis Member Posts: 134

So a little off topic, but is there a leader board for trolls? like a place I can go and see things like started thread never went back and got 200 pages of replies. And does anyone know if replying to a troll thread, means you lose?

Anyways back on topic, to the op no need to be sorry, your opinion does not matter. By the way I have not played this game yet.

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

The whole "it's slow because it has to bring in veterans from the single-player series" thing is nonsense.  No, none of the single player games throw an epic 20-minute fight at you right off the top, but the "tutorial" for all of those games places you in the middle of big events. 

****, in the "tutorial" to Final Fantasy I you beat the guy who becomes the final boss and save the princess before you even get the opening theme.

In FFVII you jump off a train, kick butt with a giant sword, and blow up a friggin' reactor.

In FFIX you conspire to kidnap the princess as a member of an acting troop, then switch over to run the coolest character in the franchise through town, then put on the  performance, then switch to the guy trying to stop the kidnapping, then switch back to the kidnappers to beat the guy you were just playing, then escape on an airship that crashes, then beat some goblins and stuff on your way to rescue said princess from a giant killer plant.

In the last two main numbered games you

- infiltrate a fortress under siege to save the king, only to arrive too late, then get stabbed by your own traitorous captain (as far as you think).

- Make a daring escape from a prison train in a cutscene and find yourself in the midst of the Purge.  Try to save pretty girl only to have her turn into a crystal.  Get branded, and then have the whole thing you're in crash to the floor of the giant artificial moon you live inside.

FFXIV?  Click through a wagon ride.  Talk to a bunch of NPCs.  Kill some squirrels and ladybugs.  Take part in a cutscene where an NPC(s) is pretty much capable of killing the enemy while also healing you.  How again is this supposed to grab the attention of a Final Fantasy fan?

I think there are a lot of things to like about this game, but the opening hour or two is not one of them, and trying to represent it as good because it purportedly accomplishes some goal of attracting Final Fantasy players who haven't played MMOs is ridiculously disingenuous IMO.

• BigbadwlfBigbadwlf Member UncommonPosts: 117

So, I'm going to bring some information to this flame thread in hopes of making this a bit more constructive.

I was privileged to get into one of the earlier FFXIV beta tests.  And the game was clearly awful.  6 classes, one starter zone, leveling felt slow and grindy.  The game was really just lacking in everything, except graphically. 

I was impressed with beta 4.  All the classes unlocked, 3 starter zones, they got PvP into the game, vastly improved the controls.  The combat is still slow but the monsters have red targeting AoE that keeps players moving around more.  The FATEs now come more frequently instead of once, and you can even level sync yourself to do them.  Duty Finder is always a great feature to have, and of course the game looks and runs like a dream on my shoddy computer.

I think once the Guild Wars 2 "let's revolutionize MMOs" bubble bursted, people are less interested in hype and broken promises now. Is FFXIV going to sell 3 million subscriptions? Heck no, but it's definitely a solid game now, worth paying for the first free month at least.  Also it's coming out at the perfect time, this will be the game of choice to fill the MMO drought until Spring 2014 when Elder Scrolls Online is coming out.

It's really going to depend on FFXIV content update cycle that will determine if it's a good game or not.  Since it's subscription, they better be ready to shell out 8 months straight of content updates.  Going by how much content was added between now and the earlier beta phases I participated in, it might be possible they can get new content added fast.

The bottom line is that this game doesn't really have anything new to offer players, but what it lacks in quality, it makes up in quantity.  If they can continue delivering a lot of quantity content, I don't see why people shouldn't be able to enjoy this game.

• BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    this games opening = zzzzz..... this games combat is slow... to slow, and gives me a head ache... lots of crazy lighting effects and the combat sound effects sounds like I'm beating a bag full of dishes with a chandelier... in other words lots of breaking glass lol
  • GinsanaGinsana Member CommonPosts: 18

I agree.  Save the 60 dollars, read everyone feedback before buying.

My experince with the game:

After a nice character generating experience that is not as mind blowing as it at first seems you start the game with a very very very, very long "welcome to the world" sequence.  Initially you can simply sit there and watch the video with sound and voice but pretty soon the video looses the talk over acting and you will need to start clicking the screen to advance the one sided conversation.  Just clicking anywhere will do, get comfortable, you will be doing this a lot in this game.  It will be approximately 7 min before you actually get to control your character.

A note about the graphics here.  Who ever did the texturing in this game needs an award, like ASAP.  Its amazing.  Whoever is responsible for the colors of the characters gear needs to be given an talking too.  The landscape is bright and vibrant.  The character gear colors are just drab drab drab.  They do not match up.  You will start to notice this right off the bat.  There must have been some disconnect between departments.  Also why in gods name does my gladiator start off in the same stupid slutty barbie doll skirt and tights that my conjurer does?  Don't even get me started on the 9 year old faces on the cats.  thats just….ewww.

Eventually your character is released from the the grip of the game system and you arrive in your home city where you are quickly sent on your first of many, go here, talk to this guy quests.  

When you find the first quest turn-in guy your character will again be whisked away and taken over by the game.  You will need to click 15+ times or so thru a "welcome to the city" presentation speech. each time you talk to an npc you will have to go thru this clicking through cut scenes thing.  Do you remember the SWTOR cut scenes?  These are not like those.  Those were great.  These cut scenes occur at the drop of a hat and rarely impart any interesting or personally relevant information.  You have no input in the conversations and generally just stand there while the npc IM's you incessantly.  If you really like npc chatter and roleplaying with npc's this might be something you will enjoy about this game. Also oddly each time you accept a quest there is the huge fanfare like you have leveled or something.  Weird any who, 

Eventually the text wall ends and you may think that you can start the action now but no, now you are sent to tour the main city area you landed in.  (Don't worry about making a bad choice for a first race/city, they all suck,  it's not just the one you are in.)  The cities are sprawling and there are quests all over the place asking you to deliver stuff or talk to so and so.  You will spend 20-40 min running around the city, some of this time the map will help you navigate around.  Many of the people you meet will cause your character to be controlled by the game again so don't get all excited about free will and all that jazz just yet.  

After 40 or so minutes you will be pretty anxious to get outside the city and actually use any ability other than the non class specific sprint ability to run errands faster.  This is where things, for me, went from a bit concerning to downright ridiculous.  

Each city has several 'instanced' zones.  If you are in one zone your map is blank outside of that zone.  So, if your quest log says to go to blah blah blah and give some guy an eel pie, and you are not in the same city zone as the guy that needs the eel pie, well, your screwed.  Your map will highlight the zone exits to let you know you are not in the right zone but that is about as specific as it gets.  No, I'm not pulling your leg.  Have a mentioned these cites are full of dead ends?  On the plus side IF you find yourself in the right zone you can open up a map, oddly different than the  tiny mini-map, that will expand and show you where your quest objectives are, most of the time. This map is really nice and quite useful.  My advice is to turn off the mini map entirely and just use this useful one.

Ok so you did all of the silly city quests and now have a quest to go kill ladybugs or some such at the city gates, and you actually found the correct city exit for this.  (Note here that finding a zone exit that leads not to yet another city zone but to an actual outside area is challenging. Also, each or the 5 or so city exits leads to a different place with different quest objectives none of which will ever be shown if you are not already there)  

So you have found the outside, you are all pumped up, and ready to kill 5 ladybugs. Now you hope the fun will start.  But you will probably just end up frustrated.  The cast time/global cool down is so high even on the basic starter abilities that it feels like your moving through peanut butter to hit mobs.  It's not an exciting finger biting experience.  It's not even a relaxing mellow experience. It's just kinda frustrating sitting there waiting for the GCD to run out so you can hit one of your ability buttons.  If you think 20 seconds is not too long to wait remember that most games do not have every blessed ability on the same GCD and that most of the abilities are not, instant?  It's hard to explain but really fighting thru peanut butter is my best effort here.  Thats what it felt like to me.  In all 4 classes I tried. I have to note here that the sounds and effects of fighting are a bit off as well.  For instance the hunter fighting sound is…brace yourself, the sound of a leather clad biker adjusting him self on his Harley.  A kind of squishy squeltchy leather bunched up sound.  No arrow sounds.  Weird.  

But wait!  There is more because at the end of it all mobs do not typically drop anything but quest items.  No piñata.  Zip, none, parlez vous nanda? Every great once in a while a mob will drop something but honestly after leveling one toon to level 10 I happened to look in my bags to see if i had anything to sell and there were just 3 grey item things that could also be used for crafting.  No gear, an occasional heal pot i think but I'm not sure.  At any rate if they did drop from a mob there was no easy way to tell.  No loot window pops up.  I really like that we do not need to click on dead mobs to loot, this is fantastic, but for 99.9% of mobs to have no loot at all?  That is just sad, especially after all the peanut butter crap.

The UI didn't work for me.  Yes you can move the bars around etc but the information IN the bars was not very well presented.  Why do these games always feel they need to reinvent the wheel? A needle thin health bar is just silly.  The target bar is just as bad.  It does not matter where on the screen i move it it's still not exactly jumping out at me.

My first character was an archer,  I hated that squelchy biker noise but i decided to just stick it out until level 10 when i could change my class.  This did not turn out to be as easy as i thought but not really difficult either. Just know before hand that you have to complete your class quests to some level 10 event encounter, you also have a level 5 event encounter, before you can either craft or change your class.  I had a hard time finding my quests and quest items so had not completed my class quests.  Rather than struggle though another few hours of trying to find quests and quest hubs i just rerolled.

Which reminds me.  Quests are fairly linear you can not simply hop to a new area and find lots of quests you are eligible for.  At least not before level 15. Also because mobs do not drop items or cash you need to do the quests to pay for equipment repairs and upgrades.  Most of the quests i completed did not offer gear rewards.

The map is not, strictly speaking, open world.  You will run into invisible walls sometimes if you stray from quest areas.

Really I only played this game to level 10 on an archer and till level 6-9 on several other toons both caster and melee.  I tried, really tried to like this game,  I wanted to like this game, hell love this game but i just can't stand the peanut butter issue.  It has all of the bells and whistles, everything going for it to make it a long term game but its just so slow moving and far to controlling and closed.

In summery I found the basics of simply finding quests and quest objectives quite challenging, the continuous hijacking of my toon annoying and invasive, and the mobs not dropping loot..well.  that was the nail in the coffin.  I really wanted to stay with this for the housing and the crafting but damn,  I don't think it would be worth it. Heres to hoping Wildstar or Elder Scrolls pulls though for us.

I think this will be a real success for the old final fantasy players but no world shaker after the hype dies down.  If I owned Square Enix stock I would put in a sell order and fast.

Just one girls opinion and experience in the game.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

I have to agree with the Op 100%.

I tried it when it was released the first time and it stunk Bad, It Failed so they pulled it and renewed it, now want people to give their failed game a Second Chance. Against my vow never to pick it up again, I downloaded the Open Beta. What a Soup Sandwich. {A F#@&ing Mess}

I will say in it's defense, that it's better than the original release. Just BARELY. It is horrid, despite all the hype that people are trying to get you to believe. All I have to say is, Download the open beta and see for yourself. It will save you money.

This discussion has been closed.