Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has the open beta changed your mind about getting FFXIV: ARR?

Comments

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321
    I will be playing it for sure. What other MMO's am I going to play? Tera, Rift, Aion? This game kills anything else out right now. If you can't get past the beginning then it's your loss. I'm done here, just stopped to eat dinner, back to playing.
  • czombieczombie Member Posts: 82
    I don't think the game is awesome or some kind of "WoW Killer" but it is fun enough and it is Final Fantasy so I will be buying it and playing it for a while until something better comes along.  It compares favorably to the other MMO's on the market right now, and I prefer playing this to either GW2 or Tera because I am not big into twitch combat when I play MMO's.  I prefer to play as a relaxing exercise and the first ten levels of ARR so far play as pretty casual.  I'm sure Everquest Next will be better but since that won't be out for a while I'll probably be subscribing to this game until then.
  • BishopTxBishopTx Member Posts: 23

played beta as much as I could....stand

hate the game, won't be playing.

nothing but  pixie dust, pokemons and ancient hotbar combat with a story that makes no sense.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

i was pretty sure i wasn't going to buy/sub.

now im positive im not going to buy/sub

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• joe2721joe2721 Member UncommonPosts: 171
    I really cannot say yet, since all of the NA worlds are locked, as are the EU. I guess i could learn  to speak JP and go on one of there worlds

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Recently played a Beta of a MMO that will be coming out soon, could not keep myself away from it.. Almost called in work sick so I could continue to play it.  It was freaking awesome!

Played this for about 10 mins and saw my cat playing with my girlfriend and went to go join them... Left this thing logged in..

That pretty much sums up what I think about this game.  Wish it success though, we need more trinity based MMO's.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• zephyrszephyrs Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Yeah, I was planning on getting the game from Green Man, after playing the beta a bit, I'm not really digging the game.

The FATEs are the same thing as GW2. Just pointless zergs that need no strategy or cooperation.

The questing is bland, but questing usually is. Do quests A, B, and C to open D, E, and F.

I don't like that you can use crystals to travel every where for free. What's the point of a great, big world if you can just port every where?

I'll keep playing until whenever the beta ends. Maybe I'll find something enjoyable about the game and change my mind.

• noodles6966noodles6966 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Thx for that reply and i whole heartedly agree with you, very well said
  • noodles6966noodles6966 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Originally posted by c0exist
    Originally posted by noodles6966
    as a person who played FFXI for 8 years, FFXIV will not be for everyone. FF is all about the lore and accomplishments are earned through the gameplay. What i mean is for example, travel around the world, AF weapon and armor, HQ crafting, these are things that most mmos do not have. To say the combat is not tatical is not entirely correct. In FF you have to know how to play your jobs, this can turn people off, cause people spend so much time soloing they really never learn how to play their job or class. To level in FFXI it was a grind , relic wepons= grind, AF= grind, airship pass= grind, chocobo= grind, you had to wiki almost every quest you did and mostly quest took anywhere from an hour to 4 hours to complete. Job quests for ninja and samurai very long. Anyone remember doing the dancer quest and how tense that was, How about the Matt fights? My point being is take the game and its lore in, you wont be dissapointed, anything you earn in game you will def earn it, but this game is not for everybody and I realize that, my point being is you get what you pay for in mmos and this game has lasting appeal, the game will survive because of Japanese players not NA players. Any comments?

Wonderful summary of what to expect from a FF game.  This game is not for everyone and thats what I like about it, things take time to complete.  Missions and gear require time to get, it keeps the people that really want to stay and build a community in the game.  All the others that want things handed to them, there are 100's of mmo's to play.

thx for the reply and wery well put. I agree with you totally

• SkaldirSkaldir Member UncommonPosts: 48

I just wanted to check the game out to see if it could fill my need for a new MMO.
    The introduction was terrible, the chat bubble cutscene style totally turned me off, uninstalled right after.
    The UI looked really old and generic, it reminded me of any other Asian MMO.

I guess people just play this because it's Final Fantasy, if it would be called Destiny Online or whatever random name, it wouldn't interest anyone.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    I was hoping to like it. I got some friends who already had preordered. So I jump into beta with them. first hour a complete waste of my time. Finally done with the unskippable dialogue and cinema. Tired of running around the city so I go out to kill.... ladybugs. Fine I am a lowbie. OMG 2.5s GCD wtf. It felt so damn slow. Told my friends I was done. I may try it again when I need a sleep aid.
  • AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Leveled a couple toon to level 9 or so, game is boring as hell.

Definately made up my mind not to buy/sub. Maybe if it were B2P, but no way in hell is this game worth a $15 sub.

• WhiskeydustWhiskeydust Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Originally posted by AZHokie54

Definately made up my mind not to buy/sub. Maybe if it were B2P, but no way in hell is this game worth a $15 sub.

Toon?  You mean character ?? And level 9 "or so". Yes thanks for nothing. Christ ... Why this new breed of players with no 

patience even try  to game is beyond me. You will like nothing.... Get used to it

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Whiskeydust

Toon?  You mean character ?? And level 9 "or so". Yes thanks for nothing. Christ ... Why this new breed of players with no 

patience even try  to game is beyond me. You will like nothing.... Get used to it

Sorry I don't need to play to 50 to find out if a game is fun. Actually if its this boring even when its brand new then there is a problem.

• CalypsxCalypsx Member Posts: 38
    Incredibly fun game, nothings changed, still going to play this for years to come.
  • MistborneMistborne Member UncommonPosts: 26
    The game is $30. The early levels are designed for players new to the genre. If you don't have the fortitude to stick with it past the introductory levels then I'd say it's your loss. You won't be missed in Eorzea.
  • WhiskeydustWhiskeydust Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Originally posted by Mistborne
    The game is $30. The early levels are designed for players new to the genre. If you don't have the fortitude to stick with it past the introductory levels then I'd say it's your loss. You won't be missed in Eorzea.

Well said brother !

This game will be F2P within a year.

Thus far the game has been pleasant. The early levels are designed to be very newbie friendly as the game has a lot to overwhelm someone new to the genre; however, the opening scenes, which cannot be skipped, are admittedly annoying. I can deal with that, though, because it has nothing to do with the gameplay and I only have to sit through it once per character. The story after level 15 and the tail end of the introductory story is really interesting. Some of the cut scenes thereafter really intrigued me. I can't wait to watch the story unfold. The pace of combat was a bit to get used to coming from GW2, but I am enjoying it now that I have more abilities to mess with.

I understand this won't be everyone's cup of tea. I'd probably be concerned if it was. It's not perfect, but it's pretty much up my alley. Open beta has solidified my desire to sub to the game.

Yeah, please enlighten everyone and tell them the proper level to agonize to before making the determination that a game sucks. Go ahead, we're all on the edge of our seats.

This game will be F2P within a year.

You're wrong.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

Yeah, please enlighten everyone and tell them the proper level to agonize to before making the determination that a game sucks. Go ahead, we're all on the edge of our seats.

The answer is 42.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    The first 15 levels are pretty bland and generic, after that, you get into the meat and potatoes of this game.  I will be playing this game and feel it is worthy of a sub.  Using FFXI as a model, I imagine they will continue to add to it.
  • RelytDnegelRelytDnegel Member UncommonPosts: 261

IMO the first 15 levels are just a boring introductory grind. Once you hit the dungeons at level 15 things start to get a lot more fun.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Yes he will and others like him because people will not play this bore fest.  It will be like version 1 all over again.  Lost in the mix of MMO's that people actually decided to play...

Like someone said if I wanted to play at being a Mail man I would have applied at the Post Office.  But I came to have fun, and this borefest does not do that.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith