Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today I was converted back to EQ:N graphics

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I watched 5 long Elder Scrolls leak videos. ...

That was enough to cure me of "realism". Permamently.

So all hail to Disney's Everquest. Because ANYTHING... EVERYTHING is better than endless wastes of grey.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Elikal

So all hail to Disney's Elder Scrolls. Because ANYTHING... EVERYTHING is better than endless wastes of grey.

Ya, I'm not sure if ESO is going to improve the graphics, but they are pretty bad in action. Hate the red outline thing (assuming it can be disabled), but they use darkness/bland colors to mask the lack of overall detail and life in the game.

Looking at Wildstar (which I find more cartoony then EQN), I get the same feeling of lifelessness. Not as bad as ESO, but not far off.

EQN may not be for everyone, but it is hard to deny that their character models aren't top notch in the quality/detail department. So many compared to Disney/Pixar negatively, but I take it as a complement, they could use their models to make a quality movie to get immersed in.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    I really don't have a problem with the ESO graphics or EQ:N. Those saying its Disneyquest are just mad its not Skyrim looking enough. But after seeing EPIC the movie I can say this I am 37 yrs old and I can't wait to see more of EQ:N.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Aww come on. God forbid we have to use outdated stuff such as "imagination" in games... Realism is the ONLY way to go!

The SuperMario games would have been SO much better if Nintendo had made him realistic...

Most people will play games for content, gameplay, artstyle and accessibility, quite simple really.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

Originally posted by Halandir

Aww come on. God forbid we have to use outdated stuff such as "imagination" in games... Realism is the ONLY way to go!

The SuperMario games would have been SO much better if Nintendo had made him realistic...

Most people will play games for content, gameplay, artstyle and accessibility, quite simple really.

Thats a scary looking Mario.

Sherman's Gaming

Come on kids lets save the princess!

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    After watching the combat gameplay trailer for BLESS found HERE you are going to have a hard time convincing me that any current or near future upcoming MMORPG developed in the western market has great graphics and art. If they can get things looking nice but most importantly fun to play for EQN I will be satisfied. 
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    After watching the combat gameplay trailer for BLESS found HERE you are going to have a hard time convincing me that any current or near future upcoming MMORPG developed in the western market has great graphics and art. If they can get things looking nice but most importantly fun to play for EQN I will be satisfied. 

If EQ:N plays like BLESS look I would play alot of it just because its open world and its ever changing.

Sherman's Gaming

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Detailed and realistic graphics are great but "good" is subjective so opinions on how it looks will differ. I think once we see full dialog in game the graphics will be somewhat vindicated to those against them.

IMO it's not just about the graphics you have. It's about how you use them and how they fit into the gameworld. Also, we've only seen two faces from EQN. Not just two races, just two faces. I'd like to see the other ones.
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Detailed and realistic graphics are great but "good" is subjective so opinions on how it looks will differ. I think once we see full dialog in game the graphics will be somewhat vindicated to those against them.

IMO it's not just about the graphics you have. It's about how you use them and how they fit into the gameworld. Also, we've only seen two faces from EQN. Not just two races, just two faces. I'd like to see the other ones.

If they use the same character creation system they used in EQ2 I would truly be in ahh cause it had alot of functionality to it that not alot of players looked the same except through armor. Most companies use the simple way of creating characters and you end up with a billion clones running around not very attractive.

Sherman's Gaming

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

Sigh, Realism has NOHTING to do with games choosing to use a limited color palette.

ESO is a prime example of why you don't use BROWN BROWN BROWN everywhere.

It has nothing to do with "Realism" and all to do with what colours they choose to use in their envivornments/world.

Look at Guild Wars 2, Tera, Final Fantasy even, looooooot more bright and vibrant colours and effects.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I agree with the second poster on those outline hues,there are several games doing that and it really bothers me,it looks god awful ugly and very unrealistic.We all know these are computer games,but you don't need to blatantly ruin the immersion with outline colors around players and npc's and mobs.

However there is nothing close to Disney in these cheap animated graphic games.You can't even use the term animation,the REAL top quality animation artists like Pixar would take it as an insult if you compare their work with cheap rpg game's graphic's.

Graphic's are not about realism or cartoon,they are about SOME quality,example don't give me an 8 color pastel palette shaded textures,put some effort into it.

I guess the best way to explain it is the textures should have texture and not a simple flat color.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591

HE'S SEEN THE LIGHT!

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i like the gritty look of ESO,it looks like a ES game, unlike EQN that looks NOTHING like an EQ game.

• erodaeroda Member Posts: 6

So all hail to Disney's Everquest. Because ANYTHING... EVERYTHING is better than endless wastes of grey.

The Problem with realism is that we havent got the power to actually push out the frames of anything remotely realistic  maybe when everyone has 35tflop minimum GPU's  top end dual GPU cards only have 8 Tflops atm so long way to go yet

Originally posted by Wizardry

I agree with the second poster on those outline hues,there are several games doing that and it really bothers me,it looks god awful ugly and very unrealistic.We all know these are computer games,but you don't need to blatantly ruin the immersion with outline colors around players and npc's and mobs.

However there is nothing close to Disney in these cheap animated graphic games.You can't even use the term animation,the REAL top quality animation artists like Pixar would take it as an insult if you compare their work with cheap rpg game's graphic's.

Graphic's are not about realism or cartoon,they are about SOME quality,example don't give me an 8 color pastel palette shaded textures,put some effort into it.

I guess the best way to explain it is the textures should have texture and not a simple flat color.

Guess it is a matter of opinion. From the little I've seen so far, EQN has very animated character models. No they are not Pixar/Disney animation status, but they are pretty decent for being not only a game, but an mmo both adding layers of restrictions on how well graphics can look while functioning well.

I mentioned this in another thread, Team Fortress 2 has a recording/rendering feature that allows people to make very nice looking videos/movies using 3rd party software. Just as good or better then what the TF2 devs make themselves. If EQN was to have similar features, they could render even higher quality looking models.

Not sure if you have seen what Forgelight can do, but watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwcmKzWB8HU at 2:15. They have textures for different materials.

Read this today...guess I'm not the only one that thinks the art design will lead to other projects down the line.

On the stylized graphics: Dave Georgeson said,

"I like the stylized [approach] because basically what it does is it set us up to have a 15- or 20-year-old game because we can just keep upping the graphics levels with better physics, better lighting, better all that stuff, but keep that look. It will last a long time that way. Plus, we can exploit the IP in different ways too. If somebody decided [he] wanted to do a comic book or animated series, or something like that, that look would really work with the other stuff."
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Is this another "make up your mind: join the ESO hype or the SOE fanboi train because you can't possible like both"  childish hype thread?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    I couldnt care less of what the graphics look like to me it comes down to the gameplay, If the graphics were just colour block ill be fine with that aswell aslong as the game was fun, o wait thats tetris and millions if not billions played that game.
  • donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    Originally posted by Muke

Is this another "make up your mind: join the ESO hype or the SOE fanboi train because you can't possible like both"  childish hype thread?

I think ESO graphics are horrible as well, ok not horrible but I just don't see how people get all crazy about the "realistic grfx!". BUT! I plan to try out ESO if the reviews are good, especially if it comes out before EQN. I'm kinda glad western mmos are starting to trend towards cartoony stylism because all attempts for realism so far just look generic, awkard and not really realistic anyways so why bother.

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    One thing that made me wonder about ESO is that in any Elder Scrolls game you have to download a lot of mods to make the game work right and the character and world models look good. The majority of all the mods I have for Skyrim is graphics mods.
  • RorrinRorrin Member UncommonPosts: 29
    if EQN would have unvieled with Bless like graphics I predict there would not have been a single complaint and the world would have been stunned.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

OMG HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME!!! image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Lol...so Bless is the new Black Desert of the week? I see a tech demo with nicely rendered cut scenes complete with lots of dramatic cinematic camera angle changes. Sure looks purty but game play video it ain't.

Amazing how easily impressed people are by trailers--especially when comparing it to medium quality 1600 X 900 leaked beta footage...no wonder you're so equally easily disappointed.

Oh... and in case you want to see the ESO equivalent of that carefully crafted not-game-play trailer, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHj5VvFWbtE

Purty ain't it?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RorrinRorrin Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by Sovrath

OMG HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME!!! image

if this trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUxFy0-Bmvc) was the actual EQN reveal, and Sony went ahead and pushed forward with their gameplay evolutions then i'm sure it would have been a much less bitter pill for EQ lovers to swallow.

A tear comes to my eye, we almost had it all...

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by Muke

I also get this feeling that people want me to pick sides, while I like both of the games. I will buy/play ESO with it's grey depressing art style, and Wildstar for it's colorful cartoony art style. And after that EQN, because probably it will come out after those two. I am glad that I have a choice and I'll be able to jump from one game to another depending on my mood.

What would be depressing for me is when every game would follow the same art style because it is considered "best" and I would have to put up with what I don't like. No one likes "clones", but everyone wants everything to look the same. Be happy you have a choice. Why does everyone want the market to be only white or only black? It is best when a full pallette is avaliable.

This discussion has been closed.