Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest next is NOT a remake of EQ1!

EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

get that through your head and you will be much happier.

Its a re-imagining of EQ, not a remake. they have already said they don't want to take the playerbase from EQ1 or EQ2 they are looking for a new playerbase for EQnext. 

So can we stop with the "its nothing like EQ1" .... its not supposed to be!

Comments

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521
    Hope the 1000 of you new fanbase enjoy playing it.

• twitch242twitch242 Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Been clear since day one, that this has nothing to do with eq1.
    No idea where you get the feeling that everyone is saying that !?!
    What i personally dislike is that its not even remotely "eq" like.
  • EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    Originally posted by Uproar

a mix of SWG and Minecraft will net you more than 1000 ... quite a bit more.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    Originally posted by twitch242

its not supposed to be remotely close to EQ! this is why at first they wanted to name it something else besides Everquest.
    I don't know why they didn't go through with that statement.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Uproar

There are plenty of EQ and EQ2 vets that are happy to try something new. Not only new, but much more of what makes EQ, well, EQ. It doesn't look like it on the surface though and that's what some people seem to be focusing on.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by twitch242

Pages and pages of people complaining/demanding EQN have X Y Z like EQ or it will fail or they won't play would be a start.

Or comments like "its not even remotely eq like".

It is exactly what the OP said it is "re-imagining of EQ."

Everything is the same and everything is different.

While I see the connection very easily, I think many others won't get it until more Classes, Races, Environments, Mobs, Items (pretty much the entire game) are put in front of them. Some people need it all pointed out for them to understand.

• Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by Ecoces

And the graphics that WoW and Free Realm players will like helps that number get a lot bigger.

Originally posted by Victor_Kruger

And the graphics that WoW and Free Realm players will like helps that number get a lot bigger.

And those that like high quality graphics that bring the world a live...

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

Sounds like the only way to remedy this problem is a player-base protest of EQ/EQ2.

I bet if the base stop playing, they'll try to court them back because without the base, the whole thing crumbles.

Jenga.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley

Sounds like the only way to remedy this problem is a player-base protest of EQ/EQ2.

I bet if the base stop playing, they'll try to court them back because without the base, the whole thing crumbles.

Jenga.

image are you serious? Are you really getting so upset for not getting the game that you wanted SOE to make? 

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223

This all uncannily reminds me of what happened with the Dragon Age and Dragon Age 2 RPG games by Bioware.

The original Dragon Age was a huge hit, although it had its flaws as well.  Even though it had somewhat clunky animations and graphics, and the art and engine looked dated, players loved its maturity, depth and story.   When Bioware announced it was making Dragon Age 2, the excitement was immense.

However Bioware, like SOE, is doing now with the EQ franchise, decided it needed to "fix" Dragon Age 2 to appeal to a wider audience - the twitch, action audience.  So they replaced the slower, more tactical, gameplay that players loved with waves of enemies like you see in an arcade game.  Player companion specialization was dumbed down, armor for companions dumbed down, the story line dumbed down, the breath of the game world narrowed....Bioware, like SOE, felt this was the "wave of the future."  Even though their loyal fan base wanted more of the same game they had loved and supported, Bioware - like SOE - knew best.   Dragon Age 2 released and it was a disappointment to many.  Now they are trying to recover with a Dragon Age 3 that will be more like Skyrim.

Bioware violated the cardinal rule of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Just as SOE did with the "new experience" in the original Star Wars Galaxies.  Just as SOE appears to be doing now by replacing the classic Everquest approach with a "new and emergent" gameplay using Pixar/Disney graphics and action animations reminiscent of Mortal Combat.

Maybe SOE will pull it off.  But web site polls aside, I detect the same "Smedley knows best" attitude emanating from their approach already.  The same one that "fixed" Star Wars Galaxies.

Originally posted by Ehliya

This all uncannily reminds me of what happened with the Dragon Age and Dragon Age 2 RPG games by Bioware.

The original Dragon Age was a huge hit, although it had its flaws as well.  Even though it had somewhat clunky animations and graphics, and the art and engine looked dated, players loved its maturity, depth and story.   When Bioware announced it was making Dragon Age 2, the excitement was immense.

However Bioware, like SOE, is doing now with the EQ franchise, decided it needed to "fix" Dragon Age 2 to appeal to a wider audience - the twitch, action audience.  So they replaced the slower, more tactical, gameplay that players loved with waves of enemies like you see in an arcade game.  Player companion specialization was dumbed down, armor for companions dumbed down, the story line dumbed down, the breath of the game world narrowed....Bioware, like SOE, felt this was the "wave of the future."  Even though their loyal fan base wanted more of the same game they had loved and supported, Bioware - like SOE - knew best.   Dragon Age 2 released and it was a disappointment to many.  Now they are trying to recover with a Dragon Age 3 that will be more like Skyrim.

Bioware violated the cardinal rule of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Just as SOE did with the "new experience" in the original Star Wars Galaxies.  Just as SOE appears to be doing now by replacing the classic Everquest approach with a "new and emergent" gameplay using Pixar/Disney graphics and action animations reminiscent of Mortal Combat.

Maybe SOE will pull it off.  But web site polls aside, I detect the same "Smedley knows best" attitude emanating from their approach already.  The same one that "fixed" Star Wars Galaxies.

The problem is that EQ was/is broke. If people still enjoyed it more then other MMOs, it would be doing much better, only making it F2P boosted growth and it is still barely chugging along compared to the top tier MMOs. So many claim that EQ was the greatest thing ever (I loved it myself), but like me, most can't go back and play it full time.

WoW bled EQ dry. If WoW had been such a terrible game, people would of flocked back to EQ without hesitation. The problem is, that people enjoyed WoW to a point and it offered a lot of new things that EQ didn't have or didn't do as well. Today of course it is losing millions of players because they took it way too far.

EQ was a great game when I played 1999-2002 or so, but it is completely different today. Seems many remember the early years, but that game doesn't even exist. I'm sure it is still fun (I've messed around in it a bit lately), but I can't get back the same experience I had all those years ago.

EQN is an attempt to bring the past and future together and united it all under one roof.

It could be a total flop or it could draw more players then EQ every dreamed of having. Time will tell.

We don't know how tactical or difficult the combat will be. That means all this hubbub is about the graphics and it's very ironic if coming from an EQ vet. EQ was so much more than its graphics and it's very possible that EQN will further the essence of EQ more than EQ itself.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

and thats just it....SOE doesn't have the gonads to make a great game anymore....ALl they can do is copy other leaders in the industry and reap the benefits.....Its sad that EQN has nothing to do with EQ1 really...That game was exactly what a MMO should have been in its early years...I have little doubt that SOE will make a game that appeals to the masses.....Obviously GW2 and minecraft are popular games and alot of people will want to play them in a new skin.....Those of us that hoped for a great old school style of game aren't going to get it here and we knew that.....

Theocritus

It sounds like they were making "just another" MMO and opted to build something unique. You can say "oh, we'll they copied this from here and this from there"... but if EQN comes with the features as advertised it will be an original MMO, something no one else has.

I can see why at first glance EQ vets are scorned because they think EQN wasn't built with them in mind, that it's a slap in the face.

For anyone who feels this way forget about EQN for a minute and ask yourself what makes EQ so great. What features make it stand out as a fantastic MMO. You may be surprised how close EQN, allegedly, is to those features.
  • ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Uproar

There are plenty of EQ and EQ2 vets that are happy to try something new. Not only new, but much more of what makes EQ, well, EQ. It doesn't look like it on the surface though and that's what some people seem to be focusing on.

This...

Originally posted by Theocritus

and thats just it....SOE doesn't have the gonads to make a great game anymore....ALl they can do is copy other leaders in the industry and reap the benefits.....Its sad that EQN has nothing to do with EQ1 really...That game was exactly what a MMO should have been in its early years...I have little doubt that SOE will make a game that appeals to the masses.....Obviously GW2 and minecraft are popular games and alot of people will want to play them in a new skin.....Those of us that hoped for a great old school style of game aren't going to get it here and we knew that.....

Well if you think about it, all the industry leaders copied EQ, so wouldn't EQN be copying a copy of EQ? Still some of the original in there somewhere.

EQN has everything to do with EQ. Seems some will only accept an exact 100% copy though. They will have plenty of things in the game giving those that played EQ/EQ2 something they will remember (Flowing Black Robes were shown), beyond the obvious lore and what not that is rooted in the previous games but has been redone.

How they could make an "old school game" now without a time machine is confusing to me. Beyond making another run of the mill mmo, which it seems everyone hates with a passion.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by twitch242 Been clear since day one, that this has nothing to do with eq1. No idea where you get the feeling that everyone is saying that !?! What i personally dislike is that its not even remotely "eq" like.
    its not supposed to be remotely close to EQ! this is why at first they wanted to name it something else besides Everquest.I don't know why they didn't go through with that statement.

well that's their issue isn't it? they deserve the backlash if they are going to call a game everquest and not put anything in the game that remotely resembles an everquest game.

they are just calling it everquest to make more money by fooling EQ fans into thinking it has the "spirit if everquest" like the author of the article on this site.

it simply does not, its just another game, its not everquest.

Originally posted by Vutar

Get this through your head. It isn't Everquest at all. It should be renamed something else entirely. Then there would be no confusion. The problem is they want to sell the game based on the Everquest name. They had people post video's sharing their EQ nostalgia. At the unveiling they even played EQ1 theme music to bring even more nostalgia into the equation. Then they proceeded to discard every single thing that made Everquest a great game.

SOE caused the current rift by their marketing of this game. They lead people to believe it was going to have characteristics of Everquest but it doesn't except in names alone.

Originally posted by baphamet

well that's their issue isn't it? they deserve the backlash if they are going to call a game everquest and not put anything in the game that remotely resembles an everquest game.

they are just calling it everquest to make more money by fooling EQ fans into thinking it has the "spirit if everquest" like the author of the article on this site.

What exactly are they missing that made EQ, EQ? Beyond slow combat with the Trinity and Tab Targeting.

And how could they take the unique elements and translate them to 2013 and for the gaming community of today?

• Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger Member UncommonPosts: 280

Originally posted by twitch242 Been clear since day one, that this has nothing to do with eq1. No idea where you get the feeling that everyone is saying that !?! What i personally dislike is that its not even remotely "eq" like.
    its not supposed to be remotely close to EQ! this is why at first they wanted to name it something else besides Everquest.I don't know why they didn't go through with that statement.

The EQ you and other EQ vets wanted died the day SWTOR took a face plant into the dirt. I am pretty sure the first versions of EQ Next was more like the older EQ games but SOE shifted gears and decided to scrap it. New themepark style games cannot beat WoW, people will play it then go back to WoW, sadly the early version of EQ Next would of been called a WoW clone by players who never heard of EQ. If ESO and EQ NEXT flop then big western companies will stop making mmos. 

SWTOR the most expensive mmo ever made loss 75% of its starting player base and was expected to have millions playing it, when it failed it was a big signal that the old ways of making mmos is not going to work anymore. SOE wants too kick Blizzard in the balls and hit a home run with a different kind of game that will appeal to WoW players with its art style. They are going after money and creating a new game which could fail big time or replace WoW (which is on its last leg) as the leading fantasy mmo on the market.

It may not be your EverQuest but it will be a EverQuest to a new playerbase. I think a indie company can make a new version of the old EQ with a different IP and there will be market for it. I think a lot of the EQ vets not happy with EQ Next can help invest in it. It can happen. 

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

get that through your head and you will be much happier.

Its a re-imagining of EQ, not a remake. they have already said they don't want to take the playerbase from EQ1 or EQ2 they are looking for a new playerbase for EQnext. 

So can we stop with the "its nothing like EQ1" .... its not supposed to be!

Get this through your head. It isn't Everquest at all. It should be renamed something else entirely. Then there would be no confusion. The problem is they want to sell the game based on the Everquest name. They had people post video's sharing their EQ nostalgia. At the unveiling they even played EQ1 theme music to bring even more nostalgia into the equation. Then they proceeded to discard every single thing that made Everquest a great game.

SOE caused the current rift by their marketing of this game. They lead people to believe it was going to have characteristics of Everquest but it doesn't except in names alone.

Why would they call it something different? They are using the same setting / classes / races. It has enough characteristics of Everquest to be called Everquest Next. Its not like it is now set in space and is a first person shooter.

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

EQNext is a stew of GW2 + Minecraft + TSW packaged in a Everquest plastic bag.

but ya youre right. this is gonna be NOTHING like EQ1. nothing. yup, i got that through my head but it did not make me happy.

oh there will be the old names - labels to invoke familiarity and give a veneer of reason for calling it Everquest, to cash in as much as they can on the name. but the gameplay is going to be pretty much GW2/TSW and that makes me want to fall asleep with boredom.

Originally posted by Allein

What exactly are they missing that made EQ, EQ? Beyond slow combat with the Trinity and Tab Targeting.

And how could they take the unique elements and translate them to 2013 and for the gaming community of today?

Trinity: Something that won't survive in games much longer, but yes was part of EQ.

Defined group roles: Where did they say this? You can certainly play a defined role depending on your class and abilities chosen. Many jump to the conclusion that DPS is the only option without the Trinity, this just isn't true. With 8 out of 12 abilities being locked to a class, that seems fairly defined to me.

Graphics that are not aimed at teens: Personal opinion. EQ was not "mature" or "adult" at all. Even compared to other games it wasn't the most "adult" or "realistic" looking mmo out. I was a teen when I started playing it, so were most of my friends...

Group play being essential, not optional: Again, where did they say this? You could solo in EQ just like every other game. They've actually said that you won't be the "hero" soloing dragons...sounds fairly essential to have a group.

Many combat abilities (ya EQ1 started with 8 but people like to ignore that it added more and more. That has already been ruled out in EQnext. It will stay 8): Actually 12 if you include hot swapping weapons in combat, but EQ did only have 8 for several years/expansions. Now it is just like every other MMO (wonder where they got the idea). There will still be hundreds and hundreds of abilities in EQN. Not 100 on your screen at once, but they will be accessible to everyone.

Starting cities for every race that made you feel like you were a part of something unique: I do agree with this as it does seem like they will be dropping most people in only a few areas at any one time. Given that the world is supposed to be larger then EQ/EQ2 combined, this may not be a bad idea. Also gives players the chance to build all the iconic racial cities from previous games. It also has to do with the redone lore so there is some logic to it.

Here's a few. Now you name what about EQnext is the same as Everquest other than names.

The things you listed were unique to EQ for a very brief moment in time. Now they are what every dying game is built upon.

Notice I asked how you could make those work in 2013? Players and the market have changed in the last 15 years. EQ itself has changed (a lot more then just a screen full of buttons).

Non-Trinity, Action Combat, Small Skill Bars are the future. As EQN will be less quest hub/themeparky, it is safe to assume group play will come to have more meaning as you'll actually need to explore to find things.

EQN could of been EQ3 and just copied EQ and essentially WoW and every other MMO out and could of also made no dent in the gaming world. Or they could try thinking outside the box and incorporate ideas that are growing and becoming more popular today, not 1999.

They are looking for something that will last 20 years, not a couple months.

As others have said, pretty much all the old lore, gods, items, skills, classes, races, cities, lands will be there, but they will all be redone to not just rehash the same old story. EQ2 was different then EQ, not so much as EQN, but EQ2 wasn't just a clone of EQ.

I guess you can look at it on two levels. There are the mechanics/system type stuff of EQ and then there is EQ the setting-lore-story.

The mechanics have been done over and over and over in so many games that it is obvious they do not make EQ, EQ.

WoW doesn't have Nagafen or Flowing Black Robes as they are part of what makes EQ, EQ.

If you find Trinity more EQ then NAgafen, then that is your choice. Personally I connect what I can see, where I can go, and what I can be.

I easily see EQ in EQN. They could of named it Scooby Doo's Adventure and I would see EQ.

The comparison they gave of the new Star Trek movies works for me. While I watched the original (EQ) as a little kid, I grew up on TNG and DS9 (EQ2).

The new movies (EQN) were pretty good and let a new generation that probably had little exposure to the original get a chance to see a version of the original and let older people get sense of nostalgia repackaged to look all pretty and new.

Of course some die hard fans hated it, but there is no replacing the original. When remaking anything, you lose a part of the magic and can only hope that what is being made brings its own.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    good to know

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

Action adventure combat is a fad that will never stand the test of time in serious MMOs.  Years from now, combat with threat management and dedicated roles will still be here.  Eventually they'll learn to improve on what Everquest did originally with new dynamics for a system that facilitates truly diverse fantasy classes.

Until then, ping pong tanking, kiting and zerg combat is the hot shit.  At least until everyone gets a whiff.