Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I see not much has changed then

SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
Took a little while off SWTOR and started getting back into it about a month ago to hold me over until FF14.  It's still as frustrating as ever with loading times that feel even longer than usual and patches to fix patches. For the last two-three weeks now they've had the servers down twice a week right slap bang in my playing times. The bounty contracts sounds like a fantastic addition but really, doesn't seem that all that much has changed in terms of what bugged be about the game before. 

Comments

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

You didn't like Makeb ? Did you like the new non-trinity flashpoints ? I don't really like the bounty hunter reputation rewards but i am doing them for the money and for fun. The new Cz-198 daily / weekly area are pretty cool and the reputation rewards seem very good.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Personally (IMO), the game is on auto pilot.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I'm not playing this game but I always find it odd all these issues people have with bugs and loading and such. I felt this game was one of the most polished at launch than almost all games before it. I must have some sort of magical computer, or some of you need to upgrade your stinky computers to something within the last 4-5 years.....or have one with a video card that is actually made for gaming. Get a Solid State Drive and stop being cheap if loading screens bother you.

There Is Always Hope!

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

if it was our computers, then all games would run poorly, and they dont

its the swtor client,,if you have a computer, that fits,,you have a smooth ride

if you dont, then its game over

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by keithian
    I'm not playing this game but I always find it odd all these issues people have with bugs and loading and such. I felt this game was one of the most polished at launch than almost all games before it. I must have some sort of magical computer, or some of you need to upgrade your stinky computers to something within the last 4-5 years.....or have one with a video card that is actually made for gaming. Get a Solid State Drive and stop being cheap if loading screens bother you.
    It ran like SHIT at launch, had to turn down some graphics settings to not get constant stuttering but a couple months later they improved performance that you could crank up the graphics settings. However they couldn't fix Ilum which was a constant lagfest and arena pvp matches were often very laggy, and you couldn't be around anymore than 25 people if you were doing Belsavis dailies or on Tattooine fighting a world boss.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

It ran like SHIT at launch, had to turn down some graphics settings to not get constant stuttering but a couple months later they improved performance that you could crank up the graphics settings. However they couldn't fix Ilum which was a constant lagfest and arena pvp matches were often very laggy, and you couldn't be around anymore than 25 people if you were doing Belsavis dailies or on Tattooine fighting a world boss.

Ran fine for me on high settings (never experienced stuttering, not once) 60+ FPS most of the time if i switched to best performance and i only have an average spec, but then I don't use AMD and i always run tested drivers.

Some people claimed poor performance, but then there is always someone playing on a ZX81who wants 1000 FPS ;)

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Zinzan

Ran fine for me on high settings (never experienced stuttering, not once) 60+ FPS most of the time if i switched to best performance and i only have an average spec, but then I don't use AMD and i always run tested drivers.

Same, albeit I do run AMD -- vid cards, anyway, it's sadly been a long time since there was an AMD APU worth having.

Anyway, didn't matter if I was in fleet, a flashpoint, raid, whatever, never saw any hitching or other issues. Load times were annoying, to be sure, but otherwise from a technical standpoint the game, for me and those in my guild, was as solid as they come.

Wish the gameplay had been better, but from a technical point-of-view I think the issue is far more a few people having problems -- as happens with pretty much every game -- being amplified to "EVERYONE HAS PROBLEMS!!!1!!!" as a matter of faith with the gaming herd.

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157

[mod edit]

I7 16 GB RAM (2 8 gig Sticks) on an SSD with a 780, and I was getting 20 FPS on fleet, 20-30 in WZs. only ever hit 60 if I was alone on a planet.  I get 70+ in every new gen MMO on the market, 100+ in Skyrim, BF, etc.

But yea, its my PC.

[mod edit]

weird,,my experience is the opposite

launch was okay

1.3 made it almost unplayable

1.4 made it into a slide show

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I wish this game was doing better.   Not significant discussion on the official forum either .. crickets, outside of the usual "What armor color do you like best" type trashy posts.

I guess to your answer, What Changed?  Oh in 2 years, SWTOR added many new items in the cashshop, top level Space Combat gear ... pretty much everything pay-to-skip-content, without being called pay-to-win.... oh and did I mention the cashshop, where you can buy one-of-a-kind emotes and instruments / pets and cool mounts?  SWTOR also added a new warzone, but first lets talk about the cash-shop. .. there was some new flashpoints too.

But mentioning the cash-shop is more important.  Why worry about playing the game to excess?  Just unlock those legacies with some real money.  Unlocking for 10 bucks here and 10 bucks there is so much more fun than actually playing.

So, OP I guess that is the changes for you .. you used to see an active forum . .. then again I also used to be a proud owner of a collectors box, before they were liquidated at WalMart / Target  / KMart (now they became worthless on EBay.)

My fault, sorry for the negativity.  SWTOR still has the SSSP Coming Soon (tm). !! And Pazaak / Sabaac!

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

yea, their forums have become very quiet..did they tighten moderation?

or is andryah flogging the rest of their customers to the gate right now?

the plot is thickening, dont miss next episode in this exciting saga of love and betrayal

they should make a sitcom about this

• DrelkagDrelkag Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by Frostvein

[mod edit]

I7 16 GB RAM (2 8 gig Sticks) on an SSD with a 780, and I was getting 20 FPS on fleet, 20-30 in WZs. only ever hit 60 if I was alone on a planet.  I get 70+ in every new gen MMO on the market, 100+ in Skyrim, BF, etc.

But yea, its my PC.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

It runs pretty well for me. ~50 FPS on mostly max settings with my 6870/Phenom II X4 BE/8GB DDR3 RAM.

you forgot to write your adress

how can we all come, and play on your fine computer , without it?

until then,,they sold a product with poor performance

if you wanna bite the bullets, meant for them, go ahead

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by simplius

The Big Bang Theory did an episode of everyone playing SWTOR back in winter 2012, a bland episode but it was almost all about that game as if EA paid them to write that particular epsiode.

Here it is:
    http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/The_Weekend_Vortex

The Big Bang Theory did an episode of everyone playing SWTOR back in winter 2012, a bland episode but it was almost all about that game as if EA paid them to write that particular epsiode.

Here it is:
    http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/The_Weekend_Vortex

There is also the SWTOR Big Bang clip(s) on various YouTube places, like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHT51XxPqNQ

I couldn't stomach watching the whole episode, as the humor wasn't really my style either.  It seemed EA was going for the Clone Wars crowd, not necessarily the 30-40-50+ something crowd who watched in awe at the original Star Wars trilogy.

The Time Square freeze promo was perhaps more interesting, although not a sitcom of course.. That was a paid-for promo on the front page of YouTube on release day, taking up most of the screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wjf_lWxqyI

Advertising was pretty high, since SWTOR was supposed to rival WoW as the next billion-dollar-a-year MMORPG. (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306437/bioware-old-republic-will-more-than-compete-with-world-of-warcraft/)

(http://www.vg247.com/2008/10/24/wow-is-the-target-with-the-old-republic-says-lucasarts-and-ea/)

On-topic, the amazing part was how SWTOR spent most of the next year+ trying to fix the game and make it playable, then firing staff left and right (saving money), ensuring that content would be extremely small and slow, and very little would "change".  Someone on the official forums not too long ago said there was only 1 person working on the SSSP, which may actually be fairly close to reality.

thanx, i dropped this show after the first couple of seasons

product placement?...check

did it Work? (sarcasm)

i guess, thats why, they went for their venture with aeria games

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Im sure it runs great on people's machines now....Why wouldnt it? The game has about 10% of the people playing today that were playing at launch. With such a large population drop, you can expect better performance.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Originally posted by Heretique
    Personally (IMO), the game is on auto pilot.

^QFT

That is the main problem with the game & the one thing that will not change.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

The market is putting all its money in mobile and tablet gaming, with micro transactions, thanks Farmville!!

But really the industry has become institutionalized, someone with a lot of money (investors) put money up front, they want guarantees you see, so lets look at the data

And looking at any data is what kills serendipity and originality, its risky, but investors don't like risk. When you look at just the data, then the creativity process is reduced to a mathematical formula that is only capable of churning out predictable products of mediocrity with at best slight variations of the same old thing. (aka WoW clones)

The days of pushing the limits of PC processing to the limit in terms of Graphics, AI improvement, advanced and new game mechanics and seemless integration of multiple genres is going to be out the door for a long time im afraid.

Smaller gaming companies seem to do best, not giant corps like EA. But when we see a successful mid size gaming company do well, it gets gobbled by the big fishes and then gets liquidated, (Bioware :( )

• DavynelordDavynelord Member Posts: 122

The lag that people experience is often your computer not being good enough or not optimized to run a game and I find this true with SWTOR more than most games.  

For example, I always thought my PC was great for running any game (still think so for 95% of games)....SWTOR always ran good in my opinion but when I played on a couple of my friends PC's, I found out just how bad my pc was compared to theirs. 

The lag I experience when a new player comes within range of me for the first time?  

The hiccups or freezes during warzones (though happens very rarely, like once every 15 or so matches)?  

The long load times into warzones and flashpoints?

Well all those things are bad on my PC because of 3 things....poor RAM, Mechanical Hard Drive and crappy ISP connection (bad download speed).

Just going next door to my friends house and play on their rigs has shown me that all the problems I thought were because of SWTOR was just me being in denial that my PC isn't optimized nor have as good parts as I can have to play the game.   Without having playing the game on other computers, I would still swear to you this day that SWTOR was behind the problems of long load times, poor connections (lots of crashes to server screen for example) and lag...but I know that now it's on my end, not theirs.

Bottom line, gamers need to stop acting like their S***T don't stink and realize that nobody's rig is flawless....and all the issues we have aren't always the fault of the developers, servers or the game's we play.   Try to play a game on different PC's before you assume the problem lies with the game your playing....when a game runs near flawless on one PC and runs like trash on yours...guess what, it's your rig that's the issue, not the game.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

^^^^

Doubt it but if so that would be a Bioware fail! Designing your game so it can only run on higher end rigs .... EQ2 fell into that trap but at least they had the (feeble) excuse that they assumed tech would have gotten better.

To maximise sales companies need to ensure that the game runs on as many rigs as possible. Not rigs that people might buy in 5 years time but rigs they bought a couple of years ago. And for the better rigs you have an option for better graphics. Once people start to complain - and a lot of people with very high end rigs did - that just damages sales.

But at least the reviewers got to review a product with better graphics than they launched with! 

• VercinVercin Member UncommonPosts: 353

I thought I would give SWTOR a  try lately since I'm not playing any other mmo currently. I don't regret much in my life but slapping the 80 bucks down that I did for this game..I do regret.

The patcher keeps stalling around 50-60% which is enough to let me log in but not go to the worlds my main characters are on.

I go to the forums for the game and it looks like dozens of threads about this problem have been opened with people left with no answer at all from support. I can't apparently make a new thread since I am no longer a subscriber.

I've uninstalled and resinstalled the game several times, let it repatch it self. Always 50-60% it just quits.

Also they have something called Bitraider which seems to be throttling my download to a flat 512kbps when in the past it would go as high as 2 mb/s. 

Sigh...I should just start burning money in a barrel rather then buy some of these mmos. At least the fire would be useful in keeping me warm.

The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by Davynelord
    Bottom line, gamers need to stop acting like their S***T don't stink and realize that nobody's rig is flawless....and all the issues we have aren't always the fault of the developers, servers or the game's we play.   Try to play a game on different PC's before you assume the problem lies with the game your playing....when a game runs near flawless on one PC and runs like trash on yours...guess what, it's your rig that's the issue, not the game.

Let me try and understand this -

My PC, custom built new in January 2012 gets over 70+ FPS in battle situations in several newer, more graphically intensive games like TERA GW2, with performance usually running around 100 FPS. In several older MMO's (WOW, for example) I run upwards of 120+ FPS (all with zero lag, mind you) With single player games, Skyrim, Crysis, Bioshock, I'm consistently running over 100 FPS, spiking over 120.

Yet in SWTOR, I cant get more than 60, ANYWHERE, and as soon as someone comes on screen it drops to about 30, 35. Fleet runs at around 20.

So dspite all of this, you want to tell me that my rig is the reason why my performance suffers? Am I supposed to believe that my PC is the problem, even though every other game I am playing or have played recently has zero performance issues?

The lag that people experience is often your computer not being good enough or not optimized to run a game and I find this true with SWTOR more than most games.  

For example, I always thought my PC was great for running any game (still think so for 95% of games)....SWTOR always ran good in my opinion but when I played on a couple of my friends PC's, I found out just how bad my pc was compared to theirs. 

The lag I experience when a new player comes within range of me for the first time?  

The hiccups or freezes during warzones (though happens very rarely, like once every 15 or so matches)?  

Well all those things are bad on my PC because of 3 things....poor RAM, Mechanical Hard Drive and crappy ISP connection (bad download speed).

Just going next door to my friends house and play on their rigs has shown me that all the problems I thought were because of SWTOR was just me being in denial that my PC isn't optimized nor have as good parts as I can have to play the game.   Without having playing the game on other computers, I would still swear to you this day that SWTOR was behind the problems of long load times, poor connections (lots of crashes to server screen for example) and lag...but I know that now it's on my end, not theirs.

if you were right, this would be a mediocre game, that needs a top end computer

wow can be played on a toaster,,so how is this helping swtor?

people wont pay 5 $ for a game box now,,and you want them to get a new computer for this game?

good luck with that

if you were right, this would be a mediocre game, that needs a top end computer

wow can be played on a toaster,,so how is this helping swtor?

people wont pay 5 $ for a game box now,,and you want them to get a new computer for this game?

good luck with that

I think the other poster was just having some fun, taking a jab at the EA satire of blaming customers for the game not performing as good as competitors games.

Everyone who has been around with SWTOR knows that Illum was shut down because it was embarassing for EA to present a game that gave less than 1 frame-per-second (fps) during what would be otherwise considered a normal 60+ fps session of Alterac Valley in WoW (40 vs 40)... on the exact same computer.

Chat bubbles were even taken out from the game because it caused too much stress on an already stressed out graphics / game engine.  Small instanced planets, and .. well you get the idea.