Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 is not a themepark or sandbox, so what is it?

1235»

Comments

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258
    it's a LARP ren-faire

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    It's a themepark, and a good one at that, it's just not forcing you along from quest hub to quest hub. I can see what you mean with the freepark, but it's still nothing like a sandbox at all. It's really not all that free, going to Orr as a Level 2 is going to be a major PITA.

imageimage
  • wsmarwsmar Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Well for me the only term I can think of to classify this kind of gameplay is freepark.

Themepark gameplay is to follow the  quest hub from A to B till the end and raid till you are blue in the face while sandbox is more  free play.

GW2 you are not forced to follow A to B to C in the manner you have to in a themepark game but yet you cant roam the world how you see fit.

GW2 falls in the middle of these to gameplays  in my opinion, so is freepark a new genre being born in your opinion?

No, it's probably more like a theme park than most MMO's, in that there are tons of rides, and you can pick whichever one you want. So if you want to go explore, do a heart, go pvp or do your storyline, you can.

The storyline in GW2 is literally about going from point A to point B. You aren't forced to do it, but it's always going to be there, and there isn't that much variance in people's stories. Everyone ends up at the same place in the end, just like a theme park ride.

Just like every other theme park, you are always advancing forward or progressing, and if you choose to complete what ever you started, such as a heart, you end up in the same place as everyone else.

It's the definition of a theme park and what marks the different between itself and a sandbox.

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    GW2 is most certainly a themepark.  There is a level system, a quest system, and a clear route on how to progress.  There isn't much freedom or depth to really give it a sense of options. 
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

every sandbox I have played, you can goto any zone any time, you might now be as effective, but you can go.  GW2 might not have 5 ! but it does have some, and the triangles are just spaced out, its still finish zone, or level enough to advance.  Every Sandbox I have also played is open world.

GW2 will always be a themepark to me

You have to walk there though, which means someone will jump you and kill you and steal all your equipment. 

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• PiechunksPiechunks Member Posts: 136

It's as themepark as themepark gets.

You move from attraction to attraction (questing areas restricted by level, living story events, etc.).

You don't build anything or really add/contribute to the world other than doing the themepark events.

It really is a giant circus attraction of an MMO.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    It's as much theme park as WoW. Dungeons, battle grounds, quest hubs.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"