Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best MMORPG off all time is?

Comments

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    swg pre cu
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    SWG, it had everything, a space sim in JTL with a bunch of cool/fun ships to fly and mod, even live in if you had a yacht/MP ship, and imo, the best crafting system i've ever seen in any MMO to date. not many games you could play and never have to worry about whether or not you can kill something. Social, Crafting, PVP .. loved the TEF system btw, bounties for bounty hunters, shame we never got the smuggling thing for smugglers, and the underworld should have been a proper faction, along with the other neutral factions that were in the game - corsec etc. exploration, hunting, it was all there. Its just a shame that instead of fixing all the bugs and glitches, which sadly were far too numerous to recount, that they went for a makeover nerf and broke everything. image
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

MMORPG - UO

MMO - Vanilla WoW,Tarren Mill WPvP snif :,<

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    Looks like people liked mmos better when they were pseudo Virtual Worlds. Imagine that. (they told better jokes then too)

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by ArzhAngel

Well to me it is 100% SWG (star wars galaxies Old shcool), sure it to have areas that cut be better, but all other it have everything. And i hope that the mmo develupment one day will create a mmo as swg, but more complet.

What do you guys think?

SWG was a WoW clone. Get over it brah :P

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by agnostic4eve

The best MMO of all time is....

That one!  Over there!

You know, the one you remember back to fondly and judge all other games after it against. Or, if you still play 'that game' that makes it even better.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    No such animal. I cannot believe how many people are fooling themselves...

So incredibly absurd. Even if we were to be discussing bowel movements, we could rank them in an order of best to worst (on an individual basis).

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    EVE Online by large margin followed by WoW
  • ~Roh~~Roh~ Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I read the title and immediately though pre CU SWG. It would be very very dated now but for its time it had a level of detail and features that many games releasing today still dont even approach. It also had a very free and sandbox like feel. You could go out and do what you want and really feel like you are accomplishing something.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Hello Kitty Online

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Since we're being totally subjective for me it is a tossup between EVE and DAOC.

ditto

I miss DAoC

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

That's like asking what the best food is.

I guess it's a tie between Fallen Earth and World of Warcraft.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    The best MMORPG of all time is the one I get to play when I walk out my front door.
  • LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223

If we go by logic and popularity : Maple Story and WoW

Site your favorite games all you want and call MS / WoW garbage, but numbers don't lie.   

For argument sake, I'll say that the best MMORPG of all time will release in a few years from now.   But as of now until at least the start of 2015, Maple Story and WoW will both be considered the best MMO's of all time.   Sorry for being the bearer of bad news. :)

• DominionlordDominionlord Member UncommonPosts: 180

I still think what could have been one of the top MMo if and it was a big IF there weren't so many bugs/problems was Vanguard. That game had so much to offer, people never got a chance to experience it or couldn't stick through all the problems.

Can't really say a "best" one but couple of my favorites were WAR and GW1. 

• Tsar_BombaTsar_Bomba Member Posts: 11
    GW2
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Phaserlight
    The one you've been playing for more than a decade.

...is not an mmo. You know, you might be right, all things considered.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• RasputinRasputin Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by wsmar
    Originally posted by Rasputin
    Originally posted by Loke666

I can't really say that, because time is changing. The best game for a certain time might not be the best today.

But one bet is Meridian 59 from 1996, since so many features it invented still is around. First MMO with trinity combat, rat killing quests, cooldowns and so much else many MMO players take for granted today. And it was the first one, 1 1/2 year before UO.

Then again, even if they added modern graphics I wouldn't play it today.

If UO had been like it was in its classic days, I would still be playing it on and off. I have gone back to UO emulators several times, and I am sure I will again.

I believe 2D graphics don't age the same way as 3D graphics (at least the first generations) does, and that is part of the answer. Another is, that UO is one of the best games ever made.

You should check out Albion Online! It would probably interest you! It's on alpha now, and from what I've read and seen, it seems like it will be better than UO or at least I hope! Some of the features are pretty awesome!

Thanks for the heads-up. I will check it out :)

• krazedonekrazedone Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by VassagoMael
    Originally posted by ArzhAngel

Well to me it is 100% SWG (star wars galaxies Old shcool), sure it to have areas that cut be better, but all other it have everything. And i hope that the mmo develupment one day will create a mmo as swg, but more complet.

What do you guys think?

SWG was a WoW clone. Get over it brah :P

SWG was released in 2003 and it was only a WoW clone after they ruined it with NGE.

• krazedonekrazedone Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by ~Roh~
    I read the title and immediately though pre CU SWG. It would be very very dated now but for its time it had a level of detail and features that many games releasing today still dont even approach. It also had a very free and sandbox like feel. You could go out and do what you want and really feel like you are accomplishing something.

Nope nope playing SWGEMU and it holds up pretty good for a 10 year old game.

• PeachExtractPeachExtract Member Posts: 6

EvE Online.

It's payment system is the best out there, and it's honest about its rules on griefing, scamming and exploiting. You dont ever get banned(inb4 example) from outsmarting the developers by doing stuff they didin't even think of.

The community is ruthless and gets a lot of crap (maybe deservingly so), but it's rare to see a game, where you lose a ship worth a lot of real money and time, and write "good fight / gf" in chat. The fact that game still has a gathering, 10 years after launch, is saying something. The game has one server, and there are actually people who write about current events and news in the universe. You hear about big  wars, scams and battles all the time, even if you're not playing the game.

Wish I had picked it up when I had time to play MMOs a lot. Now it's kinda too late. It's a bit TOO hardcore for me.

And I only played the game for a couple of months, years ago.

Most people have warm memories from Vanilla Wow, including me, but to be unbiased and totally honest, it's not as good of a game.

EDIT: I've heard good things about old SWG. I didint play it so I wouldn't know.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

The 1st one i had played, and the name is not relevant.

That experience of been the 1st mmo is just amazing.

Still have some hope that something come out and make me feel something like that, who knows  :)

• bestadamirebestadamire Member Posts: 13

Not sure where all this vanilla WoW talk is coming from... Even then the game was themepark suckage. but anyways on topic...

EQ1.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

it doesnt matter how much someone like one game. If all the content in the game is not well done then its far from the best.

Clearly WoW takes that place because whatever content they add to the game they do it better than the rest.

Quality content makes any game better than just personal preference towards a game. Of course what you like the most its going to be your best pick (which is just opinion based).

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    SWG Pre-CU! If only Smedely and his minions kept their eyes on the sandbox prize (stayed true to the initial game design concept) , they were literally years ahead of the WoW theme park garbage thinking. Now we have more shallow MMO theme park cash shop garbage.