Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: 5 Things We LIKE About EQ Next

Comments

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

I know mmorpg has to walk a fine line between respect for their members and continued industry support.  But I think this would have been an instance where they put there foot down and said:

Yes we like the graphics.

I'm sure some of the staff wished for a different art direction, I'm sure some are indifferent, but it is really hard to imagine that they weren't as amazed as I was watching that female human's expressiveness. 

But I've been wrong many times before - maybe they don't like 'em. But I wonder if just a nod from mmorpg would help quell this anti-graphics crusade dominating the forums - 

My crystal ball says they aren't gonna touch the graphics with a ten foot pole.

Other than that, it's pretty much my list - and honestly I may have bumped graphics for those five as well.

• cybersrscybersrs Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Why after so many years they are making graphics like the World of Warcraft? Why not 2013 graphics?
    Originally posted by PsychoticHamster
    I still dont know how I feel abut destructability. Its a cool idea, but the way they showed it at the reveal just seemed goofy. Things shouldn't break apart from just hitting them once, there should be real effort behind destroying something tangible. I feel like if everything piece of architecture can be destroyed by a sword swing, that will no only trivialize the sturdy structures like castles, but also the large boss creatures; only thy should be capable of large scale destruction. I hope they have varying levels of destruction, like wood is really easy to break but a stone keep is way more durable. 

Anthropomorphic cat-people and wizards aren't very realistic either.

• Sp00shSp00sh Member Posts: 48

I have not been impressed by a MMO in a long long time.  I fell in love with MMO's because of Everquest.  I'm glad they are changing things, and yet it is still EQ....

Basically I'm fucking pumped!

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129
    Disney meets Wizzards 101 meets Mindcraft
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

WoW.. I couldn't even bring myself to read the entire article because it sounded like an Advertisement..

1. I'ts EverQuest.. Are you serious.. This game will play NOTHING like the original, and most on this forum, even fans have agreed on that..  So why say that?  Just because you put a title on it, doesn't make it so..
    2. Distructibilty..  Really/  Is that really an issue that parts of things break off in combat, only to heal itself minutes later? That is just combat eye candy..  I bet most of the world is NOT destructible..
    3. DM quality AI?   This will be interesting to see how this pans out..  I sense a back page small print retraction on this after the game releases..
    4. Rally Calls?  Sounds like WoW's Sunwell Plateau content patch.. It's a good mechanic, but has been done before, and wish more games would do it..  This is not something new..
    5. Mix and Match classes?   He He.. Something tells me this is just limited sugar coating..  So you can swap out a fireball spell for an Ice spell .. Guess what I bet they both do the same damage and the only different is the graphics.. People that isn't 2 separate spells.. Just like "leap" and "blink" are the same traveling skill.. 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other are the same thing..
    Anyways.. The hype continues, and I'll be watching.. 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I really cant name anything at this point that excites me about the game...alot of that has to do with lack of anything tangible at this point...With SOE I always take a wait and see approach and try to ignore whatever their people say.
    Originally posted by Rydeson

WoW.. I couldn't even bring myself to read the entire article because it sounded like an Advertisement..

1. I'ts EverQuest.. Are you serious.. This game will play NOTHING like the original, and most on this forum, even fans have agreed on that..  So why say that?  Just because you put a title on it, doesn't make it so..

Everquest 2 played NOTHING like the original.

Legends of Norrath played NOTHING like the original.

So why would this be different?

And which of those shouldn't be considered Everquest just because of their titles?

Just because you think it isn't Everquest, doesn't make it so.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Mix and match classes is good if done right and maintains a ROLE for each player,no role,then no Role playing game.

Rallying call.-definitely a fun idea in all games,can be ruined if goes over too long,meaning i might be there for the start of it and miss the important fun parts.

EQ-not a big hype for me,i never much cared for EQ1,was too ugly,i preferred to play FPS's back then.EQ2 was a very good game however and only an unbiased player would see that.Like those complaining about Vanilla Wow or EQ1 vs EQ2 there is no comparison far i'm concerned EQ2 is a much better overall product.However having played most every game on the market,the EQ series is quite generic,SOE is NOT a creative bunch but more or less copies and goes with the normal trend.

Destructibility-Again we all like this idea,but we do have to wait and see how dumbed down it is,i definitely don't want a Minecraft,i want much better.For hose that don't understand what i am saying,i am talking about actual particle effects versus a simple block that disappears with perhaps a few gibs if any at all.In other words ,it has to look like destruction.

AI-This part has it's ups and downs.Yes we do like uniqueness in our games but we also like to identify ,that is what gives a game immersion.Example you go to Toronto,you KNOW you are going to see the CN Tower ,go to Niagara Falls and the Falls will be there.So i hope they don't ruin the immersion and turn it into a random spawning game.There is also the problem that if  the same group does the same zone over and over,it gives a poor indication of the next probable party to come by and repeating zones for loot happens a LOT.

Also how inept will this system be based on size of group?What if 12 go and wreck havoc,then it spawns really tough mobs and a group of only 4 come by?I also don't want to see any form of out of thin air phasing unless it makes sense,like a summoner summoning helpers ect ect.I also don't want to see any form of scaling.I want content to be recognizable,you see Fafnir you know he is a bad ass level 90,i don't want him to be a level 5 wimp scaled down.

Overall YES i agree,these 5 likes can be really good for this game and any game,we still have to wait and see the actual game to see how it is all implemented.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Zorgo

Originally posted by Rydeson WoW.. I couldn't even bring myself to read the entire article because it sounded like an Advertisement.. [*] I'ts EverQuest.. Are you serious.. This game will play NOTHING like the original, and most on this forum, even fans have agreed on that..  So why say that?  Just because you put a title on it, doesn't make it so..

And which of those shouldn't be considered Everquest just because of their titles?

its NOTHING like everquest, i totally disagree with the #5 reason in the article that it has the "spirit" of everquest.

i would like to see some examples of that because i honestly do not see it at all.

from what we know this game has features that are innovative and adopted from existing games, just not everquest.

also, EQ2 was far and away more like an everquest game than this game is shaping up to be, even though it still wasn't the best representation IMO

the main thing that got me hyped to play this was the fact that it was a new everquest game, yeah......doesn't look like an everquest game in the slightest to me.

i would love for someone to give me some examples of features or content in this game that is similar to everquest other than names of places, basic mmo features, or the title of the game itself.

i really really want to like this game and i am going to give it a fair shot when it goes live, but it is dead to me as far as being an everquest game, they may as well call it sandbox next, because its simply not an everquest game as far as i am concerned, at this point at least.

other than that and the cartoon graphics (which is another pretty big negative for me and adds to my original point) there is a lot to be exited for in this game as a AAA sandbox style game that adds a lot of new things to the genre.

• leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135
    Until people get to play the beta, nothing counts.
  • nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    Originally posted by Vutar
    It is not Everquest. Please stop deluding people into thinking it is. They have yet to show a single feature that relates to Everquest. It is a new action MMORPG SOE is releasing that t hey are trying to sell with the Everquest name, nothing more.

What about Lords of Everquest it was not Everquest or how about Champions of Norrath they where considered Everquest games but really only had a few things that mad it close to them. But I dont see what you mean it has the same areas as in Everquest it has so far alot of the same races and it takes place on Norrath what more do you need for it to be Everquest oh thats right its does not have the same mechanics as EQ1 sorry I forgot thats what makes the game not the lore, Races and the world it self.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• HappyThoughtsHappyThoughts Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by xAPOCx
    Originally posted by Alalala
    6. No Pandas.

Seriously, so far I see no indication that SOE, unlike WoW, is aiming to set a silly, whimsical, light tone. I want a game for teens and adults, who appreciate a light darkness.

I LOLed when i saw your post. If SOE isent setting a " silly, whimsical, light toned game" i must have seen a different SOE live then you did.

I know you are obviously hurt over the visual appearance of the game but EQN is not a light hearted Disney romp thru the woods.  Things can be similar, that doesn't make them related or the same. 

But by all means, please continue your trip thru sad panda land over the graphics.  Have a nice day. :)

• HappyThoughtsHappyThoughts Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Vutar
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by Rydeson

Legend of norrath is a card game and not called Everquest.

EQ2 did have features of EQ. Defined class roles and trinity to name two.

EQnext has....nothing. They have not shown a single thing that makes it Everquest.

If they had called this game anything else, there would not be near the outcry there is. However, because they are trying to sell this game as Everquest, when it isn't, some of us see it for the sham that is it.

"EQnext has nothing"

Proof?  because group play is still to be touched on.  But yeah go ahead and QQ about what YOU don't know is gonna be in the game.

Or maybe I dunno, wait it out?  Maybe get some concrete info before you start flipping tables.

Have a nice day. :)

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I hope theres a class thats similar in swordsmanship as a samurai.  I dont want to be just any kind of warrior whos all about rage and barbaric, instead I want something thats more graceful and stylish with a sword.
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

I have noticed that Sony borrowed much from RPGs more so than other mmorpgs. Much of the class and skill system as well as combat looks like Kingdom of Amalur. That is not a bad thing. KOA combat is frigging AWESOME!( A BIG SHINY FOR ME) Someone really likes KOA at Sony! KOA combat makes Skyrim combat very boring :-)

That said, I am very excited about EQNext! I truly believe this mmorpg is the next evolution for mmorpgs. Future mmos will be adding much of the things announced from SOE!

Nothing better than a game that uses the best from various rpgs and mmos and makes a fantastic game! Cant wait!

• ZydariZydari Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Originally posted by BearKnight
    Originally posted by teakbois2112
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    I really can't wait for this game to come out and flop.  I hope it fuckin bankrupts SOE. "its frickin everquest?"  horse shit,  Its NOT eq in any way shape or form.  Its fuckin disneyquestwars

Nice karma you got going there, because you are upset they arent making the game you wanted you want to ruin gaming for thousands of people and ruin lives of employees.  Over graphics.  Awesome.

No, they aren't making an EVERQUEST game. You know, what the FANS that supported their company since day-one wanted? How about that?

Sounds like you want EQ with new graphics. I played EQ from 1999-2004 and while I enjoyed the game I would prefer something new and fresh in EQN not a rehash of something I already did. You talk like you speak for all EQ fans but you don't and you make statements about things without any facts to back them up. We don't know enough about the game to be so absolute about how it's gonna be. EQ2 wasn't EQ with better graphics so why expect EQN to be. 

Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor.

Thomas Jefferson

• teakbois2112teakbois2112 Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by cybersrs
    Why after so many years they are making graphics like the World of Warcraft? Why not 2013 graphics?

Outside of the oversized shoulder pads thing, I don't see any resemblance to WoW at all.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by teakbois2112
    Originally posted by cybersrs

Outside of the oversized shoulder pads thing, I don't see any resemblance to WoW at all.

You younglings amuse me terribly.

• patx6xpatx6x Member UncommonPosts: 11

WELL I HOPE this will not accept external mod or this will exactly same as world of warcraft 

hey guy you want an easy play just put this new mod

just ddl mod for be a real god XD

• trancefatetrancefate Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Same here! started a conj on the new Vox server!
  • ZeroPointNRGZeroPointNRG Member Posts: 70

"Perhaps my most anticipated feature is that of the game's AI. As explained in the keynote, the server will collect information on which paths are most travelled, which areas are least frequented, and which mobs get slaughtered quickest. Gathering all of this data, the server will then react to player choices, creating new spawn locations, new mobs, and even an invasion or two."

IMPOSSIBRU!!!!!!!!!!

• teakbois2112teakbois2112 Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    Oh I'm sorry I understand what rallying calls are now... It's like building a city maybe with quests etc but the whole server can join in.

Oh yeh I seen this before it lotro endgame currently (hytbold city) and in coming helms deep xpac.. Like the hybrid city was all burnt but after a month of doing quests the city is rebuilt for you and stays rebuilt. If u never do the quests the city remains burnt to u.

Nothing new and it's the type if endgame that made lotro servers empty.

Not like that at all.  Its a serverwide effort, and the city will still be built if you do nothing (it will just take longer).   On paper this isn't a new concept, you are right about that.  But we haven't seen it executed yet.

The only negative thing about it, and its a big negative, is that the final result seems predetermined..its just how long it takes that will be different.  It would be cool if they could make a couple different outcomes so different servers would play out differently.

• kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Thus far I like every announced and shown feature about EQN. Couldn't be more excited about a MMO. The last time I was this excited was when Vanguard was still owned by Sigil, and before that when EQ2 was just going into beta. To stay totally on topic, I think this is a great write up. So many sites but very little care or love into the games they cover, and it is clear that you guys have people who want to love EQN talking about it. That's a great thing. Thank you.
  • kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103
    People keep trying to compare the EQN features to those found in other games. I don't know how much more clear they could have been at the reveal that even if some sound the same, they are not, and when trying to do so you are getting the wrong idea of the game. People need to stop trying to push all these things into a box of 'seen it before'. It actually sounds like SOE is breaking out of all of the MMORPG molds, and while some stuff does seem to have a little in common with other games, it seems to me that even those things are very, very different. If they weren't, they wouldn't have spent so much time trying to beat it into people's heads that this is all new ground. They would only be hurting themselves if what they were saying is not true.